Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Brilliant racing,that's a massive PB,one thing I noticed from your splits is at each one the gap to last year's got bigger each checkpoint,so each section you got better at,sign of a well run race.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Amazing run, Steve! Very well done to you. I'm glad some of us are doing well at least! (Big G, sounds selfish but I'm glad it's not just me. Hope we can cheer each other out of the doldrums!)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well done Steve.  That's brilliant running and shows how much you've improved this year.  Fantastic result!

Cal - it's funny as I tell anyone who wants to listen that I am mainly enjoying my running at the moment.  OK, I dislike the heat/humidity, but other than that I'm enjoying it.  It's just the speed isn't there, which is very irritating to say the least!!

--

I came across this earlier:  https://jegmar.com/fastest-races/parkrun/

It ranks 451 parkruns by elevation :)  Good old Parke comes in at 425th.  Other Southwest ones with a big elevation are Mount Edgcumbe (450th) and Lanhydrock (451st) - I haven't done either of these. 

Exeter Riverside is 26th, Torbay is 192nd (which I'm surprised about - this is the one I do most regularly and I thought was more or less flat, apart from one small incline) and Killerton is 383rd.

Where do the Shadies parkruns come?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Birkenhead is 218th with 120ft,I'm surprised it's that far down as there's only 1 hill,but we do it 3 times I suppose.Makes me feel a bit better about my park run now,may have to find a flat 5k and see how I get on at some point.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've always thought mine (Tooting Common) was quite flat - not entirely flat as there's a very slight upward gradient on one of the paths - but I'm surprised it only comes in at 195. The main reason that it isn't that fast is because of high numbers (around 500) and narrow paths, which leads to some congestion and it can take a little while to get going.
  • Options
    Carlisle is 363rd with 214 foot, Keswick is 321st with 175 foot and Workington is 236th with 127 foot.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    1Steve - well done on your cracking time! I had a few friends running it.

Big G - I like that graph! I'm going to try and hit the Winchester one when we're over in a few weeks.

I managed 8k tempo this morning just before it got too hot. Hit out at 41c in our garden this afternoon :/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Big G - re half marathons, a spring or autumn race is a much better target for racing a good time.  Torbay being in late June is always going to be warmish and usually humid too.   I think the out and back twice nature of the Torbay course also can make it hard when chasing a good time.

Re shoes, nearly all the shoes are coming up lighter every year and you wouldn't have any problem adjusting to a lighter shoe but caution is required when adjusting to a lower heel drop.   As you've previously had achilles problems you need to be particularly careful.  Many of the shoe reviews and even the retailers will now specify drop.   I raced in my Adrenalines for 15 years and have successfully switched to Guides, that's a switch from a 13mm drop to 8mm drop.  My Hokas vary from 4-6mm and I train in them but don't' run long or race in them.    
    Better to try on in a shop to see how a shoe with a lower drop feels.

That was a big group of runners you were leading last night!   I was just settling down to watch the Diamond League after my dinner and as it was so warm I had the windows wide open and heard a lot of people outside my flat....and it was you with your group, rounding them up and sorting them out :)

Steve - fabulous result, what a PB  :):) and just shows how much stronger you are now.  Must give a great boost of confidence now for your 100k

Emmy - that is hot :'(

Interesting data re the parkruns.  I would certainly expect those near Keith and those in Cornwall to be tough.   I suppose the big city parks tend to be flat.

Very humid this morning, sweaty run!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - this is quite a good review site, has heel drop listed too

https://runrepeat.com/saucony-guide

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Re: parkruns - you'd think so, but London's pretty hilly (which makes sense when you realise it's essentially a valley surrounded by chalk downs). It does have some nice flat parkruns, but also some evil ones (which I've yet to try). I keep telling myself I should branch out a bit, but it's just so much easier to go to the one that's five minutes up the road.

Shades is on the money about adjusting to a smaller drop. I've been wearing Frees for years and they have around a 4mm drop (already pretty minimal). In 2014 I decided I needed trail shoes, since Frees are just no good in mud. I bought some NB Minimus, which are zero drop. When I'm not running I pretty much live in Vibrams (or bare feet if I'm at home) so I figured this would be fine. Figured wrong. And that is how I tore my calf.

Anyway, I had a good run today, despite a somewhat short sleep. Had a bit of a fright this morning when my PC wouldn't boot first time (just sat on the bios screen doing diddly squat) and then wouldn't recognise my Garmin was plugged in, despite the Garmin being fine yesterday. Spent a while plugging and unplugging it and eventually it found it. I hate stuff like this but on the plus side, it always clears up any constipation I might be suffering.

I went out at 6.10 and was quicker into my stride than yesterday (first mile was 10:48 and second mile 10:32). I ended up running eight miles with five at MP and one recovery. The MP miles got progressively quicker to the point that the last one was actually a good bit quicker (9:33).

I did a few exercises in the playground (including heel drops - both achilles were a bit tender after Sunday) though I didn't do too much as I was thirsty and wanted to get back home for a drink.

I'm happy with that run given it was only two days after a race. Up until recently I'd always have a rest day on the Monday and do my recovery run on Tuesday, but doing the recovery run the day after seems to be helping.

In other news, my copy of P&D arrived yesterday so I'm going to give that a read. I'm not at the standard the book is designed for, so I'll have to work up to the level I need to be at before I can try the plan. But I am considering using it for next year's marathon(s) so we'll see. I may end up doing a modified version initially and go from there. It does seem to work well for people.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Looks like my local Parkrun Brueton is flat, comes in at 92ft so 150th in the list. Although there are a couple of others within driving distance that are flatter that I might have to try!

Shades - Yes, it was a good confidence booster as I felt strong all the way to the end, and knew that I could have carried on running if I had to. I think the difference is that I have a better aerobic base this year compared to last. I had begin to worry that I might not make the cut off (14 hours), but this eases my mind a bit now.

Anyway, 4 mile recovery run done (119 bpm HR) and 10:10 min miles average. Nice and easy to turn the legs over.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - As an FYI, even if you don't follow the P&D plans, they are still a good read for information as it explains why you do different sessions.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    SHADES said:
    That was a big group of runners you were leading last night!   I was just settling down to watch the Diamond League after my dinner and as it was so warm I had the windows wide open and heard a lot of people outside my flat....and it was you with your group, rounding them up and sorting them out :)
    Shades, ha ha - sorry to disrupt your viewing there!  It's like herding cats (that really like talking!) with that lot :)  Yes, it was a big group of 35 but we enjoyed it and we did 6-miles.  There were a couple of other people who sometimes lead groups, so I occasionally asked them to take the front runners down to the next "looping back" point, and it worked out fine.  The road crossings are the hardest part, as I want us all to cross the roads together so no one gets left behind so it's occasionally having to politely stop traffic on the quieter roads, but we had no problems.  If it had been too many more though, I'd have split the group in half and asked someone else to take a group.

That group was by far the most popular last night.  On Mondays there is beginners (3-4 miles), improvers (5-mile), A and B groups (7-8 miles at faster speeds) and a 10-miler, but those didn't have more than 10 each last night.

I've seen that website before and just narrowed it down to a pair of Adidas that give support, are the same drop but are 70g lighter than the Asics.  I'm going to a shop later to see if they can price match, if the shoes feel okay :)  

--

Even after I said I wasn't going to, I did do a 7-mile run at an easy pace, so together with the club run that was 13 yesterday.  Felt totally fine this morning, so did an 6x800m rep session (not at full tilt, but I enjoyed it - efforts were 3:22, 3:21, 3:13, 3:24, 3:15, 3:22), and all being well I'll do a slightly longer run tomorrow.

My next marathon is at the end of the month, and then I have one the week after that too.  I'm wondering how to run them (especially the first), but I'll think I'll decide nearer the time.  One option is to take the first very steady and then see if I can race the next one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - one of the my Yogalates instructors wears Vibram to take our class, she used to be a runner and says she would never run in Vibrams.   

Did you then switch to a trail shoe with a similar drop to your Frees?

Good to know that the recovery runs the day after your races are speeding up your recovery, that's a good run you've done today.

Re the P & D you can always write some of the sessions into your marathon plan without having to follow one of their complete plans.

Steve - you do not need to worry about a 14 hour cut off.

Big G - 35 is quite a lot to deal with, I think that was the most I had in any one night when I had my group.   As you say the road crossings are the tricky part, the other is that most of the group take no notice of where you tell them the run is going as they just intend to follow the others.

Good luck with the shoe shopping, are the Adidas a lower drop?   Adidas sizing often comes up a bit small so good that you'll try them on first.

Very consistent splits.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Shades, the Adidas are the same 10mm drop as the Asics, but a fair bit lighter (250g as opposed to 320g, so about 22% lighter, which I suppose is quite significant).  I'll see what they feel like in the shop and go from there.  It was MarathonTALK that got me thinking about it.  One of the presenters on there was talking about "quick wins", and his number one thing that he wished he'd done earlier was to go down to a lighter shoe.  To be honest, I've never thought of my Asics as heavy, as they're not really.  But I suppose a shoe that is 22% lighter is something to consider anyway.  Exactly how a lighter shoe equates to potentially faster times or easier running, I've no idea...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have run in Vibrams a couple of times but stones and acorns are a real sod. So no, wouldn't wear them to run now.
    The NBs went to the charity shop and I bought some Nike Terra Kigers which suit me fine. I've run halves in them and they're comfy enough although not quite as comfy as the frees.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that weight difference equates to 5 ounces in old money (for both shoes), I think you'll notice a difference.   Thankfully technology has moved on, before runners had to sacrifice cushioning and support for weight and the price to pay was often injury.

My Guides are only 30 grams each lighter than my Adrenalines but they feel like the weight difference should be more, so a feeling of lightness helps too, maybe the weight is distributed more evenly.  

Will be interesting to see how you get on with them.

I must go to a shop to see if I can find any Adidas that fit me as M & M Direct have loads of Adidas reduced.  Before I've found Adidas too narrow for me but they must have some that suit me.

Cal - Vibrams have put aside huge sums of money to cover all the claims for stress fractures etc., so that fact alone is a big warning not to run in them.

Good that you've now found some trail shoes that suit.
  • Options
    Feeling the effects of the hilly 14 miler on Sunday now. My right hip is sore and I think it's bursitis. Hurts most when standing up from seated position in car. Bit concerned my body is going to struggle to cope with this extra mileage I am doing. Maybe it's also as I'm 50 next year and I'm not the spring chicken I'd like to think I am. My schedule is showing a 5 mile easy. 5 mile Tempo and 10 mile long run this week and 5 mile Easy 5 mile Tempo and a 16 mile Long Run next week. This second week i will be on holiday in Wales so I'm hoping I can find some easy run routes. I'm getting a bit stressed trying to plan these runs especially with this latest hip problem.  I'm going to leave my run today and apply ice this evening. Problem is if I don't run for a few days I get so grumpy
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sounds like you had your hands full there,well done for coping.
    My first tempo run for about 3 months today and it felt like it.Had my target pace so set off at that,after about 3 miles I could feel the pace getting harder,did another half then it felt too much so jogged home.Did 3.5 miles in 25 mins,I was hoping to do 5 at the pace but it was too much with no speedwork,apart from an odd park run.
    I was going to do a 10k in 2 weeks but may give it a miss now as I don't feel the pace is there for that.
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Steve - congrats on a huge PB! That's loads to knock off your time and looks like you ran a really controlled race. You seem to be good at this ultra stuff!

Big G - interesting read re parkun elevations. My fastest local one (Cassiobury) is #6 on the list and the hilly one near my parents (Lullingstone) is #447 with 416 elevation. But funny that a local trail one which I'd consider fairly flat is #401 with 257 elevation. I guess flat doesn't always equal fast, as the terrain is also important.

Shades - I'd agree that adidas are quite narrow. I've always been OK in my usual size though. I've become a bit lazy and wear the adidas Boston Boosts for races of all distances now, they are so light. But OH found that after a couple of weeks of wearing the supportive version of the Boost Ultras, his Achilles problems came back.

I think I may have done too many races last week as bombed a bit in parkrun. Didn't help having to lap people who were walking/running v slowly and often 2 a breast. When you have to call out every 5 seconds, it becomes really hard to keep up the pace. Grrr! But little koala managed a 1 sec PB so maybe it was just me. One of our regular RDs who has volunteered 30 times became the 1st person to do the course in a wheelchair - no mean feat as some of the course is on grass/trail. Did a 10K summer League race on Sunday and struggled a bit with pace but was 1st lady as no one faster turned up.

Ian - I think tempo runs are tough in this humidity so you may find you are OK for your 10k.

John - we all hate not running, but if your hip is sore, a couple of days off now could save your a few weeks off further down the line. :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    John - have you had problems with your hip before?  Bursitis usually takes a while to develop, you might just have a tight/strained hip flexor but a good idea to ice anyway.   Do some gentle hip flexor exercises daily and no tempo running until you are pain free.   Please try and not stress about your marathon training, just take each run at a time and age won't wash on this thread :)

Ian5 - sorry you had a bad tempo run, drop the tempo pace back to your previous pace next time and when that feels OK then move up to your new pace.    You might feel OK in a couple of weeks and regret not doing that 10k.

SK - yes, I'll have to try on some Adidas shoes, too risky to buy online for me.

Maybe your track races took more out of you than you thought.  Must be very hard to maintain a pace at parkrun when having to lap such a crowded course.   Well done winning at the 10k race and I'm sure it was well deserved.

Just updating my Skype as have an ARC Committee meeting at 7pm.   I think I'm the only one that doesn't have a webcam which is just as well as I have a flask of coffee on my desk and try to sip quietly through the meeting.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Well done on winning the 10k,everyone only wins every race because someone faster didn't turn so you should be delighted with another win.
    Panic over a bit on my tempo,I miscalculated because I run in mins per km,and got it wrong,I ran the first 2 miles 10 secs p/m quicker than my fastest tempo target so would always struggle to maintain that,next time I'll actually run at the pace I'm meant to and see how that feels.
  • Options
    Shades - never had bursitis before. I'm guilty of Self Diagnosis by Googling I'm afraid
  • Options
    Just typed lengthy post and only first couple of sentences appeared grrrrrrrrr. Oh well. I think the last run was more challenging than I'd expected up and down off road trails more than likely caused a strain to my right hip. I've had a nice long bath and enjoyed some comfort food and iced the hip. Also 2 glasses of medicinal  red wine has made me feel so much better. I'm not going to stress about my training runs. I'll just fit them in when I can. We can't wait to enjoy a relaxing week in Wales next week. 
  • Options
    Shades - lol i usually get told off for eating crisps on conference calls during lunch periods.

Kinda surprised how hilly some of my park runs our as they are on old railway lines but i guess workington climbs onto it from riverside at start (hence the bumps both ends) and also drops down off of the railway line cycle route over the main road. Did 5k this morning here on my railway/cycle track and managed 100 foot climb of which if i look some may be the climb off of it back onto the road.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ha ha at the tempo pace error, no wonder you found it so hard, but good news that your struggle was nothing to do with a lack of fitness.   So does this mean the 10km is back on?
    Shades - never had bursitis before. I'm guilty of Self Diagnosis by Googling I'm afraid

John - we're all guilty of that.

How does the hip feel now?  When the distance increases for the long runs you will start to get aches and tiredness in muscles that you didn't know even existed.   It's common for the muscles in the hip and groin to ache so just see how you are in a couple of days.  It may have been a combination of a hillier than usual route plus the extra distance.   Meanwhile introduce some gentle hip flexor stretches into your stretching routine and let's hope it's just a twinge that will clear up.

Good to hear that you're not going to stress about your training, it won't help and as far as possible your training should be enjoyed.   A holiday in lovely Wales should be just what you need.

Keith - I managed to drink my coffee through the meeting unnoticed, I think.   The others using their webcams does give us a bit of a laugh, one of the guy's OH marched into the room saying 'here's your pudding'. :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, I too was surprised about Torbay parkrun.  It's only 109ft, but came in 192nd on that list.  As far as I'm concerned it's flat, apart from one small incline.  It's funny as Exeter Riverside is flatter (25th on the list, 50ft) but, I think it's a slower course than Torbay due to the nature of the terrain, where half of it is on trails and fields.  Torbay, two-thirds of it are around a velopark on very good tarmac.  Parke is all off-road (425th, 302ft) and is by far the slowest, but in some ways it's my favourite course out of those three!

I hope the Skype call went well Shades.  When I was working, I never got into video calls, fortunately.  Some of my colleagues loved it, but I always managed to resist.  For years, I said I didn't want a Blackberry too, but then a new role demanded I had one :(  I switched the blasted thing off at 6pm and turned it on at 8am....I don't think that's what the bosses really wanted as that was when our American colleagues were awake, but that was the way it was.

John, enjoy your holiday.  I think it's normal to have nerves about upping the mileage.  Just take it nice and steady would be my advice.  Don't worry about time too much (apart from making sure your pace is easy).

On that note, a running club acquaintance of mine who is about a 2:30 half marathon runner is training for his first marathon.  He went out for a 16-mile run the other day, and then wrote on Facebook that he really struggled the last few miles and had to walk a lot, and cut the run short too - but it turns out he got a 10K PB as part of the run.  I wrote something like "Well, getting a 10K PB as part of a planned 16-mile run isn't going to end well.  Take it nice and steady on the long runs, and you'll get there".   My comment got removed, even though I was trying to be helpful, although everyone else was going "Be proud you got a 10K PB.  You're doing great!".  Bonkers.   :neutral:  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Keith - I managed to drink my coffee through the meeting unnoticed, I think.   The others using their webcams does give us a bit of a laugh, one of the guy's OH marched into the room saying 'here's your pudding'. :D
    Shades, that reminds me of something.  Again, when I was working, we had conference calls all the time, and a lot of people worked from home.  There was one lady who seemed to take a lot of her conference calls in bed, which is okay I guess, but was still wearing her night clothes.  Her female boss had to broach the subject with her.  It turns out the lady didn't have a clue that her webcam was on, and was mortified!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, Skype meeting went well and thank heavens for Skype, I used to feel bad that I didn't travel to the other meetings, they are usually in Bedford but they understand that's a bit of hike for me for a meeting no longer than 2 hours.   So every other meeting is done by Skype, we now have 2 committee members in Scotland too so Skype is even more useful.

I've heard that some folk are completely unaware that their laptop has a camera!

Sorry but I think that's terrible that your FB post was removed, your remark was probably the most helpful bit of advice that your friend will get and it certainly wasn't rude.   Complete idiot that removed your post. :#   Certainly endorses your thoughts on the marathon training.

Quite a storm here last night, woke me at 11:45 and I watched it for a while, Cornwall seem to have had the worst of it with an earlier storm with hailstones and torrential rain that lasted for hours.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well it could be worse, Shades, like that journalist whose toddlers invaded the room while he was live on the BBC news. :lol:

I've just volunteered to be part of the club mile relays in Battersea Park next week (Monday, in fact) because they needed people and it's something different. I warned them that I was slow, off my game and hadn't run a mile before, but they seemed keen to get me signed up anyway.

So, with that in mind, I decided to do a test mile today just so I could get a feel for it. I did two miles easy to warm-up, then had a little break where I did a few drills, then did my mile (around the parkrun triangle) as fast as I thought I could go. I clocked 8:23 which isn't exactly amazing (I've done faster miles during parkrun) but it was already 19 degrees and very humid, despite the storm last night, and the course has some sharp turns and uneven bits. That and I've not taken a rest since Harry Hawkes (though to be honest, my legs feel fine).

Looking at my stats, my stride was nearly a meter, (it's usually just under 0.9) and average cadence was 198 (max 204). Clearly I don't have a problem with cadence, just picking my damned feet up.

I reckon I'll be able to run faster on the day, although I'll likely still be the slowest person there. Eh, well.