Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Great running JCG & AWC. Sorry I missed you, hung around for a bit in the bar area but food and a hot bath was calling me.

On balance it was a good day for me. I didn't get the sub 2:45 I was hoping for but got pretty close with 2:45:41. In short went off too fast but I kind of wanted to push my luck a bit. Great meeting two more threadsters.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done Reg - I saw your name on the results sheet and knew you’d gone well. That’s a brilliant time when you think of how bad you were feeling this week, your IM exploits and today windy conditions!

also saw Maccas 100m - incredible!!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Great stuff AWC, Reg and JCG.

Not such a good day for me and Tom. I was through half way in 74:50 feeling in control. Stumbled in with Tom at 3:13 so managed under 2 hours for the second half.

Was good to meet SQ and see Reg again
  • Options
    That really is a mixed bag. Pleased for you that went well and really sorry to HA and Tom, I'm guessing that was pretty unpleasant. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Superb running Reg, AWC, JCG and SQ!

Not my or HA's day today. I went through half way with Reg on my shoulder in 1:20 feeling ok although my left hip was niggling a bit. Nearly dropped out at 22 miles and basically had to walk/shuffle the last 4 miles with HA in a huge amount of pain.

Nice to meet Reg and SQ.
  • Options
    Sorry to read you had tough days HA and Tom.  Hope you can lick those wounds and bounce back soon.

JCG - not the time you are capable of but well done for toeing the line.

SQ, Reg and AWC great times all, look forward to the reports.

Good to bump into Millsy mid-race for me at least, he had finished.  Well done on the pacing duties.  Phil, some ultras allow pacing, some don't, its all ine rules of the individual race.

As Jools observed from the check point positions, I seemed to move through the middle portion of the field and felt I executed the pacing, course and conditions management better than previous ultras. So very happy with a respectable time and placing and thrilled with the Grand Slam.

• Options
    Macca you are a legend. B) Which of the Centurion runs would you recommend as a first one?
    Reg you are sandbagger par excellence. Congratulations on a sub par performance  :D:p
    Tom, HA ouch ouch ouch wtf?!?! :s:o
    JCG nothing shabby about that - glad you're reasonably happy with it.
    AWC: boom! B) Shout long & loud about that one. 10 minute PB - wow!
    SQ: Cracking effort
    2nd place for me today on a 6.5M hilly trail/fell race. So windy I thought I'd stopped at one point then thought I'd take off never to be seen again the next!!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Cracking effort Macca. Love how one run a week gives the spoons-esque mileage. Well done. 

Great running AWC (huge PB). Well toughed out Coops. Sorry not to see you both. 

Great to meet HA, Reg and Tom on the start line (I swiftly retreated a few rows) and then again in the bar/massage parlour. Sorry it wasn't your day HA and Tom - fairplay for not getting a taxi back! Well done Reg. agonisingly close to a champs time but still a brilliant PB - especially off minimal marathon training and a nasty virus so close. 

If if I may be so indulgent, I'll put a little race report:

Great day at Abingdon Marathon. Feeling less psyched up than usual due to the strong wind forecast. Realised that was an uncontrollable so just decided to have faith on 8 70M weeks and 10 20M+ runs over the last 16 weeks - running to HR and giving all I could. 

In the cafe before the race I heard someone say how everyone hated the business park so he just embraced it. I was quite impressed so copied his attitude. I had also heard talk of the underpass of doom - so made sure I watched it on YouTube. I can really see how that would break you if you were on the edge. 

I did a few drills as a warm up with a lap around the track. I really liked this as a start and finish location and it was so convenient to have the baggage so close and with zero queues - made getting access to my blood sugar meter and insulin much easier. Quick chat with some threadsters and the lady going for the double buggy record then we were off. 

Ran solo for 80% and the wind was very strong at times. Managed to get into a group with the leading lady for the first loop (about 9 miles worth), which was good mentally and physically with the wind. It was useful having average lap time on my watch - so I didn't get freaked out by the slower miles into the wind. At the beginning of the second loop, although my HR was spot on, the group pace felt just a little too hard. I'm pleased I had the confidence to back off - and surprisingly the wind, which was very strong in places, never seemed to slow me down by more than 10s/mile. 

At mile 24 the big fleshy bits of my calves really started pulsating - I was absolutely on th verge of cramp. Having felt so mentally strong (still did) and physically good, I was concerned about the cramp snipers taking me down at this point and stopping me in my tracks. Slowed from 6:30ish to 6:55s. It was the toughest lap ever of a track to finish - but a novel experience I really enjoyed. I managed to put in a bit of a 6:02 mm spurt, pump my fists over the line and then collapse in a heap. My legs were muscularly absolutely battered - whose idea was it to put the tea stand at the top of steps and seats you had to clamber over?!

Half way in 1:24:39 to finish in 2:51:27. A PB by 1:43 - one that I'm really proud of in such conditions. I won't let race results define me - after all it is just a celebration of all the training - but it is a day I will look back on with fondness. 

Really nice to debrief with HA, Reg and Tom in the bar afterwards- although none of us were quite up to a beer!
  • Options
    Kudos to you Macca, that's some serious endurance, well done.

Jooligan, nice placing in this weeks fell race. 

Shame about your race HA/Tom but at least you two got some bonding time out of it!
  • Options
    Mixed fortunes over the weekend.
    Massive pat on the back for Macca - as my teenagers would say 'thats very sick'
    Some super impressive performances from Reg - you must be in great shape so soon after IM Italy and this weeks illness. Well done.   
    SQ Great report and that's a very well run PB, congratulatons, sounds like you physically and mentally absolutely nailed it.
    AWC - 10 minutes PB, getta outta here. That's fantastic particularly on a windy day and course.  
    JCG - Well done. Nicely toughed out. 
    Hard luck Tom and HA.  There's always next time. What went wrong? 
    Off to Gran Canaria today for what my wife thinks is a family hliday, my take 'warm weather training' with the clock to Valencia ticking. 
  • Options
    Great podium, Jooligan. 

Enjky the trainig camp, OO. 

Ventured downstairs. Fairly stiff and creaky a especially the outside of my hips (TFL I think?). I could feel them during the race. 

Half term perfectly timed. Sorry non teachers. On that front - it has been good being busy over the last few weeks - really taken my mind off the impending marathon. London is usually at the end of the holidays so no real chance of relaxing for a few days after. 
  • Options
    Great organisation yesterday. Only one minor gripe. Sponsored by a local brewery and no freebies in sight!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Awesome effort Macca. Super impressive.

I'm asking myself that same question OO. If I'd blown up after 20 miles I'd say I just didn't have the fitness but I think I was capable of running further than I did at that pace. I've never felt sick in the guts like that before but in terms of eating and drinking I did pretty much exactly the same in the day before and in the race as to what I did in London. I was hoping I'd start to feel unwell overnight and could put it down to the early stages of picking up the kids' bug. I felt nauseous all day yesterday but feel fine today so I don't think that was an issue. The most likely thing I can think of is that I pushed myself a bit hard in training and my body hadn't caught up yet. If that's the case I suppose I can't complain too much as I knew that was a risk when I set the training program but still wanted to give it a go rather than back off in training. I've got more space in the schedule for London so can space things out more and taper more if I like. I'll also consider backing off on some sessions. 

I'll write a report in my blog but here's a brief synopsis:

I was really doubting myself on the morning but there were no real reasons for this and took confidence from how well training has gone recently. It was a bit windy but it didn't worry me too much.

From the start one guy went out in front and led the whole way to win. He was obviously going too fast for me so didn't even consider running with him. Within the first mile I'd settled into a group of 3 (the other 2 ended up coming 2nd and 3rd). After a faster first couple of miles with the wind, we were ticking along almost exactly at my target pace. I'd say I was in front more than the other 2 but we all took turns on the front and were working really well as a group. Paces varied a bit with the wind but we were pretty consistent. I felt as though the others were working harder than me and this gave me some confidence. At about 8 or 9 miles I felt a bit of tightness develop in my hamstrings but nothing to worry about. 

All was going well at the halfway point. We went through with 74:50 on my watch and while I wouldn't say it was easy, I certainly felt in control. At about 14 miles I suddenly saw that I was dropping off and the pace was too much. By 16 miles it was a real struggle. First walking stop due to cramps at 17 miles and considered dropping out but decided to get around. Reg passed me at about 20 miles I think and some time later Tom came past, also struggling, but not as bad as me at the time. Struggled on at about 8/mile thinking I'd get back under 3 hours. SQ came past at about 22 miles I think.

At about 23 miles I saw Tom ahead, walking and getting some attention from the marshals. Wasn't worried at all about my time at this point so stopped and walked with him. We adopted a walk/jog strategy and discussed important issues, such as - why would someone choose to do this to themselves? I suggested I should carry him over the line so we could make the papers for a "Spirit of the Marathon" type news story, but he was having none of it.

Good to catch up with SQ and Reg afterwards but was in no state for a beer. Drive home was a struggle and considered stopping regularly for a vomit but didn't need it in the end. Hamstrings are a bit sore but otherwise feel pretty good today.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Sounds like a perfectly executed marathon SQ. Successfully adjusting to feel, slow appropriately yet still get a cracking PB in less than ideal conditions.
    That's a shocking reminder of how cruel the marathon can be HA.
    Millsy: forgot to congratulate you on the pacing job. Missed the course record but didn't your mate get the Grand Slam record?
  • Options
    Reg - a valiant attempt at throwing down the sandbags in the build up to the race. Congrats on the great run, and I've no doubt with a more running concentrated, illness-free build up you'll go sub 2.40 in the not too distant future. Still an awesome run taking everything into account - nice of you to let me keep one PB on you, even if it is just for a while.

Macca - as always, I can't wait for the report. Four 100 milers in a year is an incredible achievement. I have been telling everyone that will listen at work that I 'know this guy' who's now run 100 miles four times this year - they keep think they're mishearing me! 

Jools - congrats on the second place, it was windy out there this weekend, must've been ridiculous on top of a mountain...

SQ - sounds like you had an awesome run, and made some extremely sensible decisions during the race, which isn't always easy to do. A fantastic result and really well deserved after all  the hard work you've put in - enjoy some time off and celebrate appropriately. 

HA/Tom - so sorry to hear it didn't work out. Both results are slightly perplexing, but I guess it just shows that sometimes you don't always get what you deserve in running.. I hope and know you'll bounce back stronger if you choose to - really nice that you brought it home together as well. HA carrying Tom over the line would've been the stuff of legend.

OO - enjoy the holiday, looking forward to Valencia now!

Millsy - I also forgot to say well done on the pacing job, great work there. 
  • Options
    Good to hear it's nothing major HA, but a bit of a shame you can't put it down to one thing that you can learn from. I really think nutrition (and associated gastric problems) is such a key component of marathon racing at high intensity. 

Tom was yours injury related?

I'm really nervous now to set such high expectations hearing how badly things can go wrong.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments folk, appreciated.  I always chuckle at the use of legend.  I was once described in a works sporting report as a "leg end".

Well done on the 2nd place, Jools.  Good question on a first Centurion event.  Starting at 6am in the summer months you get more daylight running in the South and North Downs and the views are stunning although both can be warm. North Downs has more steeper ascents/descents of steps compared to the South Downs which itself has the greater overall climb, N Downs felt the toughest to me but my training was probably weakest for that one.   Thames Path is the flatest, I think of it as a roadrunners ultra, another beautiful course although you have to be disciplined with pacing as without hills, the temptation to run yourself into the ground is strong.  Finally, A100, a bit of both, hills and flat.  Like TP, a 10am start so unless you're under 20hrs, likely to be running through the whole night.  Logistically, you start and finish in the same place and pass through race HQ at 25, 50, 75 and finish with access to your drop bag (drop bags also available at other races although I never used them) so easy to mentally break down into chunks.  You're also passing people in the opposite direction on the out and back legs so a smile or word of encouragement is never far away.  All great races, TP would be a good intro, A100 logistically easier and a good mix of flat and hills but with your background I would be looking at N or S Downs and for me, there was something in the beauty and openness of the South Downs.  You would need to get on the waiting list soonest for those that have sold out next year but I got into some of the races from the waiting list so I suspect there are a few drop outs as time moves on. I'm in for the TP and SDW next year, I'm not sure about the later two as I've got a place in the Lakeland 100.

Apologies for the impromptu review.  Back to Abo, SQ, really liked your mental approach to the whole day and the result.  A massive PB, and as I've said before to others, you can look back on the training with equal pride.  Whilst I would advocate enjoying the result for now, is a 2:49:xx at the back of your mind ?

Ha - really sorry the day turned out as it did. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was excited about seeing what one of the threadsters could achieve at the very sharp end.  I guess without blood tests etc you'll never definitely know what the root cause was. I'm no expert but I would have thought the slow down would have occurred later if it was too much hard training in the legs. Hope you recover soon, rest up for now.

• Options
    Three posts while I was writing mine !  I'm feeling very slow today.
  • Options
    What is this sandbag nonsense  ;) I don't think I ever said anything about adjusting my target. If I toed the line I was going to go for it regardless.

As it turned out I went too fast, not often you do a marathon in October and record your fastest 5k/10k & half marathon of the year but this might explain why my calves are ruined and I can't walk today  :D  

Joe - You have 2 PBs over me over HM and marathon so they are the hardest ones to take back! 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Congrats to all who raced over the weekend. The weather could have ruined a few races but it seems you all pushed right through it. 

Well done SQ and AWC on PBs, that is incredible and must be worth a couple of minutes in better conditions.

Great run JCG and glad to hear you enjoyed it off the strong prep you've been doing. 

Reg you had us all thinking you were a DNS for sure so to pull out a 2:45 is bonkers!

Jooligan - second in that weather is fantastic, really sorts out the men from the boys!

macca - still cannot comprehend the scale of what it takes to do 4x100M and to do it solo! You've got to have the toughest mental game on this forum. I've got my first 100k next year but that's a relative sprint for you. 

HA77 and Tom - what a tough day but well done for making it to the finish. Being affected from so far out must have required bags of strength to keep going so whilst it may not be much consolation you've got plenty to draw upon when it gets tough at the next race. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: loved the report - I could identify with lots of it from my own race! Great execution and race management on a day where you had to make some big decision and thinking on your feet (literally!). Worst bit had to be the fizzy Lucozade right? What was that about - my hands were a sticky mess by the end what with gels and fizzy drinks all over me!

HA:
    that sounds painful. Sorry you had a bad day and like you say you have a lot more time for London preparation so good luck with that.

Jools: great 2nd spot especially up a mountain in the wind! I can only imagine what it was like up there.

Millsy: great pacing job - must be such a boost for the runner to have you there when the going is tough

OuchOuch: enjoy Gran Canaria and the warm weather training!

JCG: sorry things didn't work out as planned but its not like you had perfect training and that wind certainly made a difference.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Apologies for the length but please indulge me as this PB has been two years (and 4 attempts, 3 illnesses etc) in the making…

The wind forecast was making me question my target time of 3:20 before the race. I decided to set off at 3:25 pace and knew that I should at least get a PB of 3:29 worst case.

It was a strange feeling being on the start line feeling fit and healthy – something I’ve not experienced since my first marathon 2 years ago!

The first half was largely uneventful and I was running around 3:20 pace because it felt more comfortable - the only worry was the wind as I drafted for a bit but most people were running either 3:15 or 3:30 pace so I made the decision to drop back from a group I was with and run on my own into the wind. I went through halfway in 1:39:39 feeling good but worried about the wind in the 2nd half.

There were a few tough moments 15-18, some mental (when is the blow up going to happen, I’m going to pay for this pace etc) and some real – there was a bit of an incline into the wind where I was on my own and was slowing to 8:00mm pace which worried me.

Got to mile 18 and I felt ok and was back on pace with the wind in my back working hard and realising now that I wasn’t going to blow up so I had a race plan to execute.

Into the industrial estate for the 2nd time at mile 19 and I quite enjoyed it because the wind disappeared and I found it easier going on the big smooth quiet roads.

Went through 20 feeling strong, and telling myself just a 5km and another 5km to go, you can hang on here and pulled out 7:37/7:36/7:36mm for 20/21/22. That was a great period – there’s nothing better than running strongly at that point in the race passing lots of people.

Once I went past 23 miles we were on an old uneven path which was tricky and I felt some cramp twitches which slowed me down a bit but pushed on and did a 7:37mm during mile 24.

Miles 25 and 26 were tough as they were mostly into the wind and I had 4 or 5 guys close behind me but I knew if I slowed now to get behind them I’d probably have to stop.

The cramp was really hitting everything now, quads, hamstrings, calves but I knew I was nearly home so I pushed hard up into the leisure centre car park and onto the track for the worst lap ever – felt like I was hobbling home with my right hamstring cramping badly but actually was running at 6:29mm pace  :D

Over the line, fell down and cramped and had a medic rush over but I said I’m fine it’s just cramp.

What a day – the highlight was feeling strong at 20-23 and knowing that I was going to have a great finish.

That’s Marathon/10km/5km PBs in this training cycle :)

1st half – 1:39:39

2nd half – 1:40:30

Finish – 3:20:09 (10:09 PB)

• Options
    That's a helpful review Macca. I'd like to run one of those too.. one day.. probably should try a 50 miler first. I feel you're allowed to be as slow as you like today. What's on the cards for next year?

Great 2nd place Jooligan - How you managed to run on top of a mountain is that weather is beyond my comprehension. 

Spoons - solid work in yet another breezy race, you can really see how it impacted your finish. The remaining seconds will be easily beaten next time in better conditions. 

Enjoy your warm weather training Ouch, I wish my husband would organise a similar trip. 

Tom and HA - the end of your race sounds completely brutal.  Well done for not pulling out. Looks like plenty did from the results. Also spotted a lot of people sitting around the course in their space blankets. Though the carrying over the line didn't happen, it's an image that will forever remain in my head. 

AWC and SQ fantastic PB's - Even better considering the mixed results from the group, windy weather and surprisingly cold start. Hope you're not too hungover this morning SQ!

Reg - Just ridiculous, but amazing, sandbagging. Huge well done.  

I am the achiest I have been in a long time this morning, which is good because it means I made an effort. I'm always disappointed if I can walk down stairs comfortably the next day. 

Short race report: 

I'd felt pretty crappy all week with my knee hurting and the cold that wasn't a cold lurking in my chest so had re-evaluated my expectations for Abo before the start. I only arrived with enough time to wait in the really long outside toilet queue (the whole time wondering if there were better/more toilets inside but being too scared to leave the line), drop my bag and head to the start. We were off before I had time to really think about it, and it took the first couple of miles to warm up and not feel like I was hobbling - the knee was not at all happy at this point. But by mile 5 I had settled in to a rhythm nicely. But, by mile 6 I had a stitch, which stayed with me until about mile 15. I contemplated stopping around the first lap of the business park when it became so intense that I was hunching over. I must have looked pretty ridiculous. But I carried on, it eased up a little and I was able to run standing up again after having a drink at the parkrun water station. It still lingered all the way around and into the second lap, when suddenly it just went and I was off into Milton Village quite chirpy and overtaking plenty people. I just carried on then getting more and more tired and sore. I was getting slower, but this was offset by overtaking everyone I spotted from mile 20 onwards. The single exception was the guy who was juggling his way round.. he overtook me just as we turned back towards Abingdon town centre. I refused to be beaten by the juggler, so I spent the last 4 miles chasing, overtaking, being overtaken, then finally overtaking him as we reached the track and I sprinted my way around the end. Love that track as a finish. My legs were not pleased.. but hey ho. 

On the whole I gave up on 3:40 when the stitch kicked in, so only gaining 10 minutes was a pleasant surprise at the end. As I mentioned before, I was hoping for a faster race, but, I threw myself into training back in July when it would have been much easier to sit on the couch feeling sad and thus I feel finishing Abo at all was a real victory. Thanks for all the support along the way, it's quite hard to put into words how helpful it has been.   

• Options
    Heh, 4 posts while I was writing mine.. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Well done on the second place effort running to the top of a windy mountain in those conditions Jools! Super stuff.

Amazing work Macca-incredible to think you ran 100 miles (for the 4th time this year) and I couldn't even manage 26! Really don't know how you do it....so impressive!

I think the PB performances of AWC and SQ are even more special as conditions were far from ideal and although that course is flat I wouldn't call it particularly fast what with all the pavement, paths, driveways, uneven off road bits etc.

Likewise Reg-amazing to think that you couldn't breathe properly before the race but then knock out a 2:45! So close to the Champs qualifying time and you will get it next time for sure if you get your pacing right and stay illness free.

Very well toughed out JCG-to have a stitch at 6 miles all the away to 15 and to battle through takes some doing-Pesky stitches-hate the things! Kudos for giving it everything and staying strong to the finish.

I'm perplexed (good choice of word Joe) myself today and to answer the question "what went wrong?" is difficult at this stage because I think I'm injured but not certain and wont know for sure until I try running on it tomorrow. In a way I hope I am injured because that would go some way to explaining what happened.

Anyway a short report is all I can manage now so here it is:

I was quite relaxed before the start and feeling fairly confident off a decent performance. Training had gone quite well and I had managed to avoid all the bugs about the place in the build up. I had a target of 2:41:46 in mind as a new PB with something closer to 2:40 a possible if things went particularly well-which clearly they didn't!!

Started a few rows back having warmed up with HA (more of him in a bit) and then met SQ and Reg before the off. Got into a nice position in a group of about 4/5 (including Reg) running comfortably through the first 10k at a pace I was happy with  feeling good. At about 9 miles I started to feel a twinge or two in my left hip but it didn't really bother me and we got to half way in 1:20 dead on my watch. At this point I was aware that others in the group (particularly Reg) were going far easier than me and my leg was starting to hurt around the hip/quad. Reg then disappeared up the road along with my chances of running the time I wanted. 

By the time I got to 16 miles I had been well and dropped and my pace was slowing rapidly. I battled through to 21 miles (often thinking "why the fuck am I doing this") where suddenly I could see a tall Australian figure stumbling on the pavement. Had HA finished already and was now warming down? unfortunately not, he had been struggling for some time and couldn't even go with my shuffling pace at the time. At 23 miles I was in a lot of pain and more worryingly I was getting dizzy and feeling light headed. At this point I stopped and asked a Marshall to call someone to pick me up as I had decided I was going to drop out. She got on the phone and was making the arrangements when HA suddenly appeared. I cant remember exactly how the conversation went but in the end we decided that we were going to walk/jog to the finish together. This was much harder than it sounds because by then the whole of my left leg had completely seized up and it was excruciating whenever I tried to do anything more than a walk. It seemed to go forever and we were both getting very cold but were in good spirits-even laughing and joking with the Marshalls (who were fantastic throughout) and people watching about how well we were going! Somehow we got to the track for the finish and I was delighted to see that nobody had come to watch as I don't think I looked great. I didn't need any medical attention (unlike London) as by then I actually felt fine. I basically ran 22-23 miles and then had a walk/Jog warm down to the finish which is probably why my legs feel relatively good today. The Hip area though is another matter and it may well come to light that there is an issue there-time will tell. An interesting race-not what I was hoping for but certainly one I will never forget-even if the memories are not of the fond variety!

• Options

I entered Abingdon marathon for a couple of reasons, firstly a post Ironman focus to avoid the blues and secondly a stab at a championship time for London, hence the A target was sub 2:45.

So in the five weeks post ironman I managed to get a few miles in and even a couple of MP runs but clearly not enough. In my Ironman training I had not done any fast running, this was deliberate because I wanted to avoid injury and I knew that even 7 minute miles in an Ironman was a stretch. The trouble is now I was planning on running 26 miles at around 6:15-6:20 per mile; this is a pace I hadn’t done for about a year.

The week before the race was a bit of a disaster, I picked up a cold and went through the normal scenario of fatigue, sore throat etc but most annoyingly in the few days before I was coughing and short of breath. I tried a couple of short runs but I finished with mild asthma and my inhaler didn’t seem to help much. Come race day I felt a bit better and I felt that if I could just manage my breathing without going too hard at any point, I’d be ok. I stood in the queue for outside toilets hoping that getting acclimatised to the air temperature would help my breathing.

With 5 minutes to spare I arrived at the start and heard an Aussie twang from the front. A quick introduction followed with Tom and SQ. Tom seemed nervous, SQ excited. Once we were off I found the pace around me was quick, I wanted to do the first half a mile easy, conscious that I didn’t want to strain my breathing before warming up. Once we hit the open roads, I was running alongside SQ for a bit but I decided to push on. I wanted to be aggressive today, after London in 2016 I went off too slow and was never able to pick it up. Today I wanted to commit myself whilst I was still fresh

Just over a mile and a half in and it felt like the wind was behind us so I wanted to settle into a group before we turned into it. I saw Tom up ahead so put a burst in to bridge the gap and that lead to a 5:51 mile which scared me a little. I felt like I was pushing a little for the next few miles, there were times and drinks stations and through a few narrow sections where a gap grew and I had to put in the odd burst to get back to the group. At about 6 miles we started the first of two 9 mile loops and the mileage markers for the second lap were a depressing sight.

I tried to switch off a bit from here but as we went through 10 miles in 60:40, I joked to Tom that this was inside my 10 mile PB, I was feeling pretty good at this point but wondering what this was going to do to me later on. Another milestone as we went through 13.1 in 1:20 just 90 seconds outside my PB, again I had the same thoughts. Finally we hit the second loop and as we hit the wind I found myself at the front of the group, before I knew it I was alone as Tom started to drop off. I looked around a few times to see what was up and maybe offer some encouragement but I also knew that my time would probably come too and I should kick on whilst I still could.

I ran solo from here and passed a couple more but I was also starting to slow a little and one guy came past quite strongly offering to take the wind but he was moving too quickly for me. I was still moving well at 20 miles when I spotted a Bracknell vest ahead, I immediately thought it was HA77 but doubted myself briefly. He looked over his shoulder like he was expecting one of us and the TVT vest is easy to spot. We exchanged some words, he assured me I was on track for the sub 2:45 and I was at that point, however that was the last fast mile as the pavement became more uneven and bumpy I found it harder to keep the pace on increasingly tired legs.

I had to push a bit as 20-22 to do 6:30 which was enough with the cushion I had but then mile 23 was a 7:07 and I need to keep it sub 6:50. By this point my legs were breaking down in several places, my calves and one hamstring both tightened and hurt but I was happy to wreck them for a good time. Mile 24 came up with 6:40 but that was the last roll of the dice and the last two miles I was running on fumes. I felt like I was walking but mile 25 was 7:03 and mile 26, 7:09. 

I hadn’t looked at the time since the halfway point but as I entered the stadium I had my first look and it was already at 2:45. The track felt blissful, suddenly my feet, which were very sore felt ok. I picked up the pace a bit and as I came into the home stretch someone was trying to overtake me so I pulled an ungainly sprint from somewhere and pulled away only to be hit by a cramp in the hamstring, it was enough to hold him off though, I’d given up the Champs time but I was too close to give up another place.

• Options
    Great reports guys a d girls. Lots of pain and courage.
  • Options
    Well congratulations and commiserations are in order. First, I really commiserate with HA and Tom. Speaking from recent experience and protracted post mara woes, these things can hang by a thread sometimes, and I hope you can both resume running after a proper rest. Taking the positives, you've both got really quick halves out of this training block and will work things out for London I'm sure.

A big congratulations to Sorequads (how are the quads by the way?) and AWC for the pbs, JCG for winning the battle and then some, and to Reg for turning conventional marathon training plans upside down.

Jooligan well done, impressive mountain goating again.

Macca, more congratulations too. I have to say I'm disappointed. I saw 100.3 miles on Strava. You could have done a bit more to make it a round 101 ! ;)

Last but not least in the Great South Squall - well done RSR. If you fancy a fast 10 miler the Sneyd Pudding Run is a good one early December. Up and down, but fast nevertheless.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Reg: great report and really impressive running that time without having done anything like appropriate training for it! That uneven pavement was a killer late on and I felt like my ankles were going to go a few times.

Spoons: well done on the GSR. It was my first proper race back in 2014 and we had a big headwind in the final stretch that day as well which isn't pleasant or helpful!
  • Options
    AWC: great report of a perfectly executed race. A 51s positive split tells me you judged it just right to get the best performance possible on the day. I remember the cramp inducing uneven lane around 23M too.
    JCG: well done again. 9M with a stitch shows mental fortitude.
    Tom/HA: thanks for sharing your tales of woe. I felt like you describe at 23M, Tom, at VLM this year.
    Reg: how you do it is beyond me but congratulations again
    Spoons: top 10M PB at least even if not quite hitting the target. That's 2 targets for next year now with just seconds to shave off.
    Macca: thanks for the reflections on your Centurion year. I was asking for a friend who's completed 4 ultras this year & is aspiring to do a 100M either in 2018 or probably 2019.