Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options

Looks like pretty much every race is off this weekend currently apart from The Big Half

Seems the treadmills are getting some good use at the moment! Although impressed that a lot of you still got out there in the snow/freezing cold to run

Yes incredibly annoying with the knee, definitely need to get it massaged properly by a physio as the vmo right above the knee is enlarged and has been for ages. Don't seem to be able to lengthen the muscle out by self massage/rolling or stretching. Did manage a 25min run today on a trip to Lidl though

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done on the treadmill run Spoons. That takes some dedication.

Hope your race can go ahead Joe. I guess you could get some last minute entries with all the other races being cancelled?

Glad you managed a run Scott.

Two lots of 5 miles on the treadmill for me today. Managed to survive the tedium with a combination of music, podcasts and increasing the speed every kilometre. So glad things are looking a bit warmer over the weekend.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    I’ve used treadmills that show an actual trail or route that has been filmed using a GoPro type camera. It changes speed and elevation to match the actual route so it kind of feels real. Quite short though, I think you get 50 mins and then it loops back to the start. 

Managed a 20 second course PB of 38:28 today, it’s a tricky 10k as you do 2 loops of an undulating course. There are usually some good fast groups as it’s put on by the local running club. However I was on my own from 2k onwards so it was hard work ?. I often start too fast and fade but held on better this time and legs felt OK afterwards.   Made the schoolboy error though of wearing a new pair of adios boosts and it rubbed against my big toe and started bleeding through my socks. This never happens and of all my shoes this pair had to be white.... hope I can wash it out as it’s my VLM race shoe 

Safe running everyone. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Winds died down here, still cold, can't see any snow or ice out of the window.
    Going to get out for 16mi some point this morning, might do part of it with daughter if she wants to.
  • Options
    Good work on the course pb John

Snow has already started melting here, with the rain forecast today I suspect it won't last long now temperatures have increased

AWC: I don't understand Reading reopening entries, surely if they still have places left they should have kept it open in the first place?
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Scott: I think they normally close it for logistical reasons. The time taken to post out entries etc. Reading never sells out so there are always places left when they close entries. I’m guessing they’ve been overwhelmed by emails from Bath competitors and decided to pull out the stops to turn around entries before the race. 
  • Options

Hope your race can go ahead Joe!

Shame The Big Half isn’t being televised, good British lineup in the women’s race too.

Great work John congrats on the PB. I see Adidas are finally launching their “sub-2” shoe in a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing what that is like.

Thanks for the heads up AWC, I’ve entered Reading now.

Rain forecast today and above zero temperatures, so vaguely hopefully I might be able to do the long run outside tomorrow. If not at least next week should be back to normal.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    See you on the start line Spoons!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I wonder if all the snow and ice has melted on Bath Half route?!
  • Options
    Bad luck on the cancelled races to those who were planing to take part.

Good luck for your club with the Thames Riverside tomorrow Joe, just read that it will take place.

Well done on your PB JohnOz.  

Hope the conditions improve quickly so that everyone can get back out rather than struggling through the snow and sweating on the TM.  

My scheduled LT session yesterday turned into an MLR as although I could find quite a bit of clear road it was covered with a thin layer of slush in many places - ok for a steady pace but I would have been slipping around at a faster pace.  Did do the planned miles though and I will try to put in some MP miles in my 20 miler tomorrow instead.
  • Options

Spoons apparently there will be highlights of the Big Half during the coverage of the indoors, but as you say would be good to watch it in full

Guess that makes sense AWC!

Sensible to hold off on the LT session Hazel  :)

Leg feeling much better so did 40mins earlier at 6:56 pace. I honestly think the reason my knee flared up again was because I sat on the couch all day Tues/Wed with my legs resting on a puff. Normally sit at the dining room table

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nicely PBd John. All looking very positive for VLM.
    After all my weekend's races (parkrun & both XC league meets) were cancelled due to Snowmageddon I broke my streak yesterday although I did break the skis out. Forced myself out today for 15 including a trip round my local parkrun course. Really tough going in the snow: only just snuck in under 12min/mile average.
    Well done Hazel & Scott. Did you get the 16 done Westy?
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yes, got it done. Went ok, a bit of snow and ice around, apart from that trails bone dry. Looking forward to some usual boring British weather next week.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done on the course PB John and that's a great time on an undulating course.

Glad your leg has improved Scott.

Nice running Hazel, Jooligan and Westy.

Snowy parkrun for me with a long warm up and cool down to make 10 miles for the day. The parkrun had a revised route which was 5 laps on grass with most of the snow melted. Managed a bit faster than marathon place and 9th finisher so good fun.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Perfect racing conditions out there this morning!
    6ish mi with my daughter planned for later.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Apparently a load of people are going to be running Bath Half anyway.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Exhausted. 24 miles done, 85 miles for the week. After the 10k race and 14 miles yesterday I really struggled from halfway today but got through it. It’s now 9pm and off to bed!
  • Options
    Was closed roads - won’t they now get run over ?

The half I was doing have just posted video of the course. Even though paths are clear round here there were sections covered in snow and slush.

John - well done on the course PB.  Bloodied trainers sound hard as nails, think of the marginal psychological boost when looking at them in those last few miles.

Do what you can Hazel in this weather, well done for getting out and you too Westy.

Glad the knee felt ok Scott.

Well done on the PRs+extra Ram & Jools.

Hope the race goes well Joe. Ideal timing for an MP run, might look at it next year.

I had a short notice window of opportunity for the 14@mp last night.  It was dark and a bit of slush still around but I found a 1mile loop that was pretty clear.  14 loops later at 7:03 pace I was done, with the run home making 22.  9s per mile down on the same session last year so sub 3 looks marginal but factor in the dark, 300ft more of climb, getting over a couple of niggles, maybe I’m closer than I think.
  • Options

Nice 16 Westy  :)

Hope all goes well with the race directing Joe!

Big time on feet run Jooligan

Ramjet, that 5 lapper must have got very congested?

All that's important is that you got it done John, it's not meant to be easy  ;)

Saw your mp run on Strava last night Macca and splits looked very consistent. You're there or there about's so wouldn't worry too much

A lovely hour done and dusted this morning. Snow already pretty much gone, seemed to get easier as I got through the run, averaged 6:54 pace

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done on that 24 John, and the 22/14mi MP run Macca. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Well done John on the 10k and the 24 miler-fantastic work-not surprised you are tired!

Cracking MP run Macca-14 loops takes some doing!!

Super PR Rammers!

Great stuff Hazel, Jools, Westy et al for getting it done in the conditions.

Glad the knee is holding up Scott.

I think we got the worst of the snow here in the whole of the country Thursday/Friday and there are many local lanes which are completelety blocked by huge drifts. Gym still closed so no chance of a debut on the treadmill.
    It is thawing now and was a balmy 4 degress this morning when i got out. Running through slush isn't ideal but at least I could get the miles in. 18 was plenty in the circumstances. Time on very wet and cold feet.

Apparently it's a lovely day in Bath and the course is now fine. Just shows how difficult a decision it was as the forecast was saying that temperatures would rise rapidly but there are so many other factors that come into it.

Flooding will be the main issue this week. Lots of rain forecast and all the melted snow-wonderful!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Scott - glad the knee is holding up

Good MP session Macca

Nice 16 miler Westy

20 miler this morning which was a really struggle - miles in the bank but feeling tired. It’s been a crap week with the snow and all the disruption. Looking forward to getting back in a routine this week and hopefully things feels a bit easier. 
  • Options

Well done getting the mileage in Hazel.

Glad the leg is feeling better Scott.

Nice work getting out in the snow Jooligan, Westy, Ramjet and Tom.

Great mileage John.

I think those factors are definitely worth 9 seconds Macca, good work.

Well done toughing it out AWC, here’s to better conditions next week!

The snow was starting to melt this morning, but still lots around, and as I wanted to do some MP work I reluctantly headed for the gym. It was as much a mental test as a physical one, but I managed it. 20 miles including 4x3 mi at MP. Overall average pace was 6:43/mi if the footpod is to be believed. I did calibrate it, but it was measuring a touch slow on the MP sections, although dead on for the easier sections. Who knows, but the effort levels were in the right ballpark.

I broke up the MP in to four 3 mi sections as I couldn't face the monotony of one solid block. I get so sweaty on the treadmill it's ridiculous. I actually brought along two vests so I could swap half way through. Both were utterly drenched by the end :D

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Blimey Spoons, 20 miles on a treadmil! Mental fortitude to the max! You have been putting in some amazing training recently-I'll be struggling to keep up in Manchester. Really looking forward to getting a pair of the new Adidas shoes  ;)

Nice 20 miler AWC. Bring on the better conditions!
  • Options
    20 on a treadmill... ha!   Actually, I won't run on a treadmill so much...  I rarely pick up injuries, but did so after a long session on one and I put it down too many identical steps - no variation that you get running on a road, track or field.

AWC - well done.

Tom... some spectacular snow in S. Wales.  I think a lot more down your way than in our neck of the woods, but still pretty impressive drifts.

Macca...  those 9 seconds are more than easily explained away... I think.

Glad the knee's ok-ish Scott.

12 minute miles..  presumably that wasn't an actual park run then Jooligan.  Good mileage and good distances from John and Westy... and hopefully Hazel today too.

Very tough 6.6m on Friday night for me - a real tough workout. Two of the miles were at 15 and 16 minutes, and although I didn't check, I'll swear my heart rate was similar to the LT heart rates from the previous week at twice that pace! And had to work hard again in the snow today - I was boiling.  Hoped for 18m but only had time for 16 in the conditions but I'm certain that was the equivalent. It was enough for me to sneak past the 40 mile mark for the week for the third time in the last four weeks. Happy with that.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good effort NE. Really tough in the snow. That was my average pace for the 15.6M, parkrun section was just over 10min/mile & was solo since all parkruns within 80 miles were cancelled.
    Just 6.6M for me today on the roads around Coleford/Berry Hill before going to the Savoy to see Miles Jupp & Friends which ended up with me in a plank-off with Miles & Les Dennis!
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Great long run and weekly mileage John.

Nice MP run Macca.

Scott - it was congested but it made a pleasant change from all the running by myself I do. Nice run this morning.

Nice long runs Tom, AWC, NE and Spoons.

18 steady miles for me this afternoon. Got held up by snow drifts in the first half but got going nicely in the second half to bring the average pace down to 7:36. 75 miles for the week.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Great course PB John. You’re in super shame, especially with the massive week as well. Hope the toe is ok.

Scott it’s amazing what a difference sitting/standing/driving positions can make. Hope ti’s better soon. Nice pace BTW.

Haha great skiing, Jooligan. And nice planking.

Great looping, Maaca. It’s amazing the lengths we’ll go to to get a run in!

20M on a treadmill, two vest spoons, impressive mental fortitude!

Early Saturday was my lonely slot for a long run. Headed out at 5:15am to see what awaited. I just wore road trainers but carried the Yaktrax in my camelback just in case. Ran on the road to being with – easier underfoot and very few cars at that time. Then attempted a BAC style session, based purely on effort, as the thought of doing easy-steady loops for 20M was too much. Ran along a footpath and round the park numerous times. Compact snow the whole way, but surprisingly not slippery. A variety of efforts, ending with 20M at 7:42m/m. Definitely worth a greater distance in the snow, especially as some of the snow drifts I encountered on the way home were mental. When the road said it was closed, it meant it! 5ft deep in places. I can definitely see how those who live in remote locations could be fully cut off.

5M recovery yesterday morning, then a social mountain bike for a friend’s 40th. Love it socially, but it was hard going physically when lots of snow in places. Felt in good control given my recent like of biking (used to love going to trail centres whenever possible). We all fell off at least once, but the deep snow gave a pillow like landing. Except when I feel, and a bastard rock was hiding underneath. Split my knee cap open. I could see the subcutaneous fat coming out and felt a bit sick, but nothing was majorly wrong. Decided to bat on home asap before it stiffened. Spent all afternoon in a Minor Injuries Unit, getting 3 stitches right in the middle of the knee cap. Could walk and bend it absolutely fine, but by last night it was agony. No running for a good while…

• Options
    Glad to hear your knee is feeling better Scott.    

Well done on the 24 miles John and a great weekly mileage.

Nice cross training with the skis Jools (alpine or XC?)

Nice parkrun Ramjet.  

20 miles on the TM really does sound tough spoons - I have only ever done a couple of minutes on one.  I certainly wouldn't enjoy the lack of fresh air.

Otherwise some good running going on despite everything, it sounds like conditions are starting to improve for most of you in the UK at least. I hope we can all get back to normal training in the next couple of days.

I had a very good long run yesterday - 21 miles with 10 at my planned marathon pace (8 min/mile) in the middle.  I was keen to get out and fill up the week's miles and get some faster ones in at least.  I did similar to macca with his loops by running up and down an approx 1.2 mile clear stretch of minor road for the MP section.  This conveniently had a water source and a place to dump extra clothing, hide my phone and set up a gel bar.  It took me about 2 miles to work my way into the marathon pace but after that I could keep it up for once and actually felt good the whole way through - first time in a while I have managed to complete an MP run as planned.  I was also pleased that I didn't start feeling knackered towards the end of the long run - I even added on an extra mile.   Feet were soaking wet by the time I got home as I couldn't avoid all of the slush and snow on the warm-up and cool-down stretch.     

Got back in time to watch some athletics on the TV. 

Legs tired today but to be expected.