Options

Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    What's the best way to train in the snow? Luckily it's a drop-back week for me, but 12m on the treadmill still seems a bit much! 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Depends how bad the snow is. If it’s fresh snow and not too deep you can easily run on it. That’s actually nice to run in.

Up here it’s really deep in places. When it’s like that you’re better off avoiding it. I nearly did my ankle trying to get home from work yesterday. You couldn’t see where the road started and the pavement ended.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the gps advice Eggyh73 and thisisben (hope recovery continues apace)
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I’d be careful running on icy pavements for any distance. Even if you don’t fall over, you may find yourself using a weird gait to run that can lead to injuries. Better to cross train if you have to, or just take a break and hope the cold weather doesn’t last for long.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advise. Will see how it looks tomorrow. Would prefer to run outside, but seems silly to risk injury at this stage. 
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    FRG2 said:
    Pistol101 - would be good to meet at the start. Hope to be more organised this year! 
    Yes...i'm just hoping it's a little drier! 
  • Options
    Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭
    How'd everyone's training go over the weekend with the snow?

Luckily for me this was my buffer week and had a 10race (which was cancelled) So it was a easy week end of gym & spin/ 10k and half yesterday all took nice and easy. Hope you got something fitted in and training is going well for everyone
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Soupy - Well done for getting the training in.

Most of last week was a washout for me. Ran on Monday and Tuesday, but didn't manage to get any other runs in until yesterday due to the snow. The roads and streets around my way are still a nightmare. Tonights run will be some wacky loops of runable roads and pavements, with the odd jump into knee deep snow to avoid any traffic.
  • Options
    AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully, down south the snow had thawed enough for me to squeeze in my scheduled 18-miler yesterday. Felt better than I had anticipated considering my last 16 mile run was fairly grim.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to structure the last few weeks of training, especially with regard to long runs? I'm thinking of taking an easier week this week and then two 20+ milers on the 18th and 25th March, the second with 10 miles at marathon target pace, before a 2 week taper.

This will be my third marathon, hoping to run around 3:10 to 3:15 in Paris, with my current PB a 3:19 at Richmond Park. Does that sound sensible?!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    AW3 - I think what works best in terms of taper is always a personal thing. I always do a three week taper these days, as I perform much better of them. I know other who are ardent two week taperers.

I always do a three week block of high mileage with 20(+) mile LSRs before tapering.

• Options
    AW3 - I think most advice points towards a 3 week taper period. But guessing from your time objective and previous marathons, you know best what to do from your own experience.

Heading out tomorrow to test out the dodgy foot after having done only one run in 2.5 weeks due to the niggle. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone else on here watch the Martin Yelling advice sessions on the London Marathon Facebook site? He's a bit of a stuck record (and it does feel like he is absolutely everywhere that money can be made from running...), but I do find them useful and would recommend for all sorts of queries.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    thisisben - Good luck with your run tomorrow. Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Rae2Rae2 ✭✭
    The weather finally got a bit warmer on Sunday here, so I got in my first long long run of 36km. I didn't feel to great to be honest, I did 2x5km at MP in the middle and it felt harder than I would like it to. I did manage my biggest training week of 125km though, despite the -16°C with windchill conditions last week!

I'm not too sure about how training is going, 4 weeks ago I felt great, now less so. I will do a half on Sunday and decide on my Paris goals after that.

Hope everyone else is doing well! Not long now ^^
  • Options
    Hi - can't believe it's just over 4 weeks to go now !! Maranoia setting in - last week with both snow and work my running took a complete halt ! Just have to write that week off and carry on. Just did Anglesey Half on Sunday in 1:48 so reasonably happy with that. Garmin didn't connect to gps for the first three miles- did annoy me - but good to experience technical failures there and just get on with it. 
    So think my plan has two more long runs March 11 & 18th. Then taper. 

Who had the spectator guide - is it possible to publish it on here ?? 

Hoping everyone elses training is going to plan and we all stay injury free !
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Maxnmuffin - I've sent you a copy of the supporters guide.
  • Options
    Dreaded Tendonitis reared its ugly head last week, so I've not been able to run for over a week. Lots of time swimming and on the bike to keep fitness and hope the physio can work her magic between now and race day!!
    Eggy - Could you send me the spectators guide too?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jen Baker - I've sent you a copy of the supporters guide. Hope the tendonitis clears quickly for you.
  • Options
    Hello
    I've just called my surgery for a medical certificate and they want to charge me £138 for providing this. As we need two, I think this is outrageous. Any tips please?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    LisaandMartin - Getting the medical certificate signed always causes issues for someone on the forum each year. Some GP's will do it for free, or a small sum like £20. Others like yours want to charge a fair amount for it and there have been some who refuse to sign it at all.

If you can't get another doctor to sign it for you then to be honest it's very easy to fake sign it. The only think you need is an address stamp to stamp the form, which you can easily get from the likes of Amazon or a stationary store. At the expo they only want to see a form with a signature and a stamp. They don't go any further than that when checking the medical certificate.
  • Options
    Thank you Eggyh73, helpful info - I'll call around other gps.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    My GP signed no problem last year, but they seem to have had a change of policy and are nervous of litigation...
  • Options
    Managed to get my medical certificate signed eventually at local doctors for £30. Never even saw the doctor. Can I just ask what people think for tapering please? I ran the Cambridge Half last Sunday (new PB at 1.51) and typically went off a bit fast. Feeling it in the legs now and not looking forward to 18 miles this Sunday. Was then planning a 20-21 next week before tapering, with a 10 mile then just six miles the week before. Does that sound about right? Thanks.
    Oh, could I have a copy of the supporters guide too please?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    danthevan - I think the taper depends on the person. A three week taper sounds good to me, that's what I do. If you have been following a specific plan and it's been working I'd stick to that. It's normal to be feeling tired at this point in training, particularly when you've just raced a half.

I tend to go a bit further on my long taper runs. I do 14/10 rather than 10/6 for those marathon training runs before the race.

The main thing when tapering is to reduce the mileage, but keep the intensity up.
  • Options

I'm going to do 12 and 8 on the last two weekends just to add another variant into the mix!

I took a half day off work yesterday and did 20 miles as I've got a busy weekend ahead, am at work today feeling pretty exhausted.   It was fairly painful and slow, not nearly as strong as my 19 miler a couple of weeks ago but it was windy and I perhaps went off a bit fast so trying not to stress.  I've got my local half next week for which I am going to do a few miles first to make it up to a 16 mile or so run, then the taper.  Hopefully that will be ok?  Or does anyone think I should make it up to 18 or 20 instead?  I'd really rather not, I am over the long runs to be honest!

We're going to do the Bois de Bologne parkrun on the Saturday morning if anyone else will be there.

• Options
    New to the forums.. tapers approaching.. medical certificate done.. 10k race in the morning! This is getting real!
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Following Hal Higston, but I've got out of sync. Doing 20 this week and another long one next week. Then 3 week taper: 12, 8, marathon! 
  • Options
    I have 10k race tomorrow with easy 18 Sunday.. 20 3 weeks out.. 10k race and 17 2 weeks out.. 13 a week before the race.. hope I’m feeling fresh on the day!
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Good work Fleet Girl getting the 20m in. I'm doing mine this weekend, although i've had a horrible cold so hopefully i'll make it round - especially as i'm pacing!

I've got myself booked in for the Reading Half next week and London Landmarks Half, so i'm not entirely sure what i'm going to do for long runs. I'll probably run another 20 between those 2, so giving me a 2.5 week taper.
  • Options
    Just done a 20 mile race today and felt really strong throughout and at the end so feeling positive now.  Had a tough week with tired legs too so extra happy. I'm going for a really steady 18-20 trail next week then a 15 and 10. Plan has me doing 18 and 15 last 2 weeks but I think that will be too much.  We are so close now, can't believe into final month.  Good luck with the last bit of training everyone.
  • Options
    Quite exciting really, 4 weeks tomorrow! Can’t wait for the weekend itself, hope we all make it there unscathed. Maranoia setting in. My legs feel tired today, need to try and sort a sports massage next week I think