Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good long running muddy and DT. That's a decent week's mileage too DT, think I finished on about 45 which I was reasonably happy with.

Still cold here but weather looks to be returning to more normal March type temperatures this week. Hoping to get to the midweek 5K in Derby on Wednesday. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, looks like a return to something near normal time of year weather come midweek.

Annoyingly as I am about to take a recovery week, I feel pretty fresh today.

Hoping i'll finally get a race in next Sunday now! I cant remember the last time I went this long without a race.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Highbury Fields parkrun went ahead but without me.  Snow/sleet blowing in my face at around 20mph?  No thanks!
    Had hoped to run Victoria Park 10k on Sunday but, guess what?, it was cancelled.  I'm not available for another race until April 22nd. Unfortunately that's Bolton 10k, which I've done 3 times before and is challenging!
    Back in Wigan now.  Managed an 11k run late afternoon. Theoretically warmer today but wind still bitingly cold on my face.  Need a balaclava.  Otherwise, wore too many layers and got uncomfortably hot!!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I found that with the temps and wind yesterday, Pete.

Easy 6.5 miles yesterday then followed it up with a 7 with 4 at hmp. Those miles averaged 6.13. Dare I go out that fast Sunday is another matter. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Feel pretty good after yesterday, almost like it's blown the cobwebs. 8 mile mlr very easy over lunch then a sports massage tonight.
  • Options
    1:21:45 to beat DT - go for it!!!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty much 6.14mm. Could go horribly wrong!

8.3 miles mlr over lunch at recovery HR came out 8mm and was enough to take my Garmin vo2 to its highest ever level of 61. When I ran my half pb in September it was at 59. 

Sports massage tonight. I've not had a rest day since 30th January so looking forward to a few days off before the final push. 
  • Options
    I forgot which one you're doing DT ... I'm sure it'll be full of pent up runners.

I have entered the next iteration of the Droitwich half on 29th April. It was either that or Chester. Droitwich is closer, hillier and above all cheaper. Looking ahead if I can do Wilmslow on June 24th, I'll be looking to do the Hull 10k on June 10th. So that gives me a good spread of racing throughout April and May and June:

April 3rd - Hereford 5k series race 1
    April 8th - Centurion 5
    April 15th - Vale of York 10
    April 29th - Droitwich half
    May 14th - Market Drayton 10k
    May 27th -  ? parkrun
    June 6th - Hereford 5k series race 3
    June 10th - Hull 10k
    June 24th - Wilmslow half

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Liverpool.

That's quite a summer schedule! You should pencil in Droitwich if you can make it. Usually the 2nd Wednesday in July.

• Options
    DT19 said:
    That's pretty much 6.14mm. Could go horribly wrong!

'e who dares Rodney, 'e who dares......
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! hope your daughter is okay, Skinny. That is rubbish about your foot though. Boooo.

My half marathon (Alloa) was also cancelled on Sunday so I didn't have to get up at a time beginning with 5 and instead had a nice long sleep and went for a long run in the afternoon. I accidentally ran 23.4 miles due to not really knowing where I'm going in my new area, but it was very beautiful and I saw 2 hares. Scottish 4-stage road relays next week, which will be an excellent build-up to the Calder Vale Country 10 on Good Friday, my target race for the season.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Encouraging scenes, DT! Maybe a slightly more cautious start and then pick it up if you feel good?

Muddy, looks like a decent summer schedule. Have stared to plan a few post marathon races myself, have y pencilled in the Spa Striders 5 miler in, although this may clash with Beeston 5.

I made it to the Derby midweek race last night but didn't run the 5K opted for the mile race instead as a couple of club mates were doing that. Finished 7th in 5:21, which is an 8 second improvement on the last time I did the mile race here but a few seconds down on my wind assisted mile (which was not a 'proper' race). 8 seconds behind my faster club mate and 1 second ahead of similar paced club mate. Still think I can knock a chunk off that with a bit more practice, need to not be so cautious at the beginning. Did the 5k race afterwards at 6:40 pace which felt like a dream in comparison.

• Options
    Tommy2D said:

Encouraging scenes, DT! Maybe a slightly more cautious start and then pick it up if you feel good?

No way to get a PB though - throw caution to the wind and hope the training translates to the race - only way to reach the bottom of the barrel. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I am more of an aggresive starter, however there will be some restraint as pretty much all the climbing is in the first 1.5 miles. The wind is currently westerly which doesnt help either as the last 3 miles are westerly along the promenade.

I am particularly looking forward to my night at the premier inn in Warrington at the m62 services. A destination I have been meaning to check out for some time!

Tommy, well done on the Mile pb. Perhaps I should do that immediately before the start on Sunday.  
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:

No way to get a PB though - throw caution to the wind and hope the training translates to the race - only way to reach the bottom of the barrel. 

I'm not sure about that, most of my PB's (for races of 5miles and upwards) have come from starting a little slower than target pace and building into the race. Most of my disaster races have come from starting too ambitiously and blowing up. Everyone is different though I suppose!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think - as Skinny would no doubt suggest - that recreating Tommy's mile PB (well done btw!) in the first mile of the race would be more effective, DT.
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes definitely - make a 6:14 mile 2 seem easy and time in the bank too - what could go wrong?

EDIT And well done Tommy - 5:21 is 7 secs inside my mile time - it was on a track I presume? Maybe one day when I'm bored I might update the TTT with all these PBs flying around - in fact if DT runs inside 1:21:45 on Sunday (with a 5:21 first mile of course) I will do it next week.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    do you have any idea what needs updating, Skinny? 

I think both challenges are unlikely, however the 1.21.45 is a remote possibility. 
  • Options
    No but just a question of going back to last one I issued and tracking back to current posts. It won't take long.

So sub 1:21:45 DT - the TTT needs you! Good luck!!
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Nah, ease into it with 8:30-9 minute miling for the first few miles then ramp it up.

Skinny, no not on the track on an undulating pavement alongside the Derby ring road.

News from Bob - he's running approximately 35 miles per week and was planning a parkrun attack at the weekend but has been hit with a cold and so might not bother.  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ooh I've won some stuff since the last update! No idea what though. Team bronze in the Scottish half marathon champs; the coveted 'Team of the Year' award in the E Fife Sports Council awards; team gold in the Scottish mid trail champs last year. Also the combined female team won the E District xc league, and I definitely scored in some of those races.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

but did you get an  actual medal or prize for the E District league?

I've had some pbs, wava improvement and a couple of prizes. 

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oh, good point DT. I think we got a trophy, but we will have to give it back and it's not actually in my house. By contrast, I do have a large engraved vase for the Team of the Year currently adorning my girlfriend's filing cabinet.

I too have a birthday coming up; you might want to leave the ttt update a couple of weeks, Skinny.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've got older as well......I cant remember when ttt was last put on here. Anyone have a copy to hand? If I get a pb I think Skinny needs to perform an update, if he doesn't then it can wait perhaps a week or two.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I think this one from early September is the most recent, though I may have updated one or two pbs (not mine obvs) since then.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete.

If anyone would like to watch the action unfold Sunday morning there is live tracking and my number is 4388. What could be more exciting on a Sunday morning. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    hugely frustrating morning. Ran 1.21.15, hiwever I don't know how this happened but it measured 12.8 or so. The hugely annoying part is if if measured somewhere near correct i.e. 13 miles and beyond id have bagged a decent pb. As it is, I come away with nothing in my view. 
  • Options
    I always feel after I have done a long run, I have overdone it. For me, last week I ran 8k, today I could barely run 4 my legs ached so much! Nightmare. My knee hurts as well and I was really struggling. I assume I should take some time off to rest.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi, DT.  Was the 12.8 measurement on your watch?  Could it just be a GPS issue?  Even if it was short, that's still a very impressive run. Well done!

Welcome, Adam!  Yes, take some time off.  And while you are resting, have a read of the first few pages of this thread:  https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/166481/training-for-the-right-distance/p1