Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Cheers for the kind comments - I'll be goading some of my fellow V45 mates to see if they can beat it (in a jokey fun way :-) - a couple have done some very handy 10k times, like at Battersea Pk Saturday am...

TR - yes you might say I've come to my senses (ha ha). But to be honest, Berlin in 2015 was really a break with a marathon included. I did train hard for it, knowing it would be my last. I could try again, and do say 2.35/2.36 if I was lucky...and still be nowhere in the rankings. Not worth the hassle in my book, loads of fast old buggers about, luckily not so many like track stuff!

Al - Funny you mention the Supernova Boosts. I had some before my current pair of Glide Boost, don't like them, too big and clumpy. Glides are being phased out, but I love them, just feel more responsive. Idid actually buy some Adios for Berlin, but thought they would be too light. Used Tempo Boost instead and they were great.

Gutted that the Glides are going - and the Asics Gel Hyperspeed too!..thats 2 of my 3 staple trainers gone - hoping the Adios don't go too..

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    SC2 - Agree that the Supernovas are definitely on chunky side (even more when you stick a pair of supportive insoles inside). But as I was coming from low training volume due to the injury I didn't really notice, they felt very comfy I was just glad to be able to get out and not make my achilles worse! Now I'm completely adapted to them and they've quite likely to have contributed a bit to my ability to sustain the high mileage in the last couple of months.

CW - I thought dog-assisted parkruns were meant to be denoted in the results somehow, but whoever did the results processing on Saturday obviously didn't know this....

My lunchtime run was a tale of 2 halves, started off with 1.4M warm up to get through the worse section of road crossings, narrow pedestrian sections etc... Then cracked on with a steady effort, but my legs thought otherwise. Usually I aim for a HR of 150-155 to start with, today I couldn't get it much above 145 for the 1st 3-4M (splits of 6:17/6:17/6:13/6:11)Once I got to my park tempo loop and went round once I was on the edge of canning the effort and just going easy back to work. I pulled in for loo stop at 4.5M and after that my legs and HR kicked up a gear. Miles 5-10 were 6:09 /5:59/5:49/5:51/6:00(traffic light stop in town)/5:32(burnt it back to work trying to dip under the hour for 10!). All in all a decent run, 10M in 60:18, so a tiny bit quicker than last week. Pretty sure with less miles in my legs and a clear route I'd be comfortably under an hour for 10M, something which I've never done before.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Simon - Agreed, I havnt run round a track since I was 17.

CW - yes, I fully expected more training marathons yet, I'm sure you used to do the odd one rather than most long runs.

AL - yes I understood, LT = less than. Good 10M there.

I had to take my zero today due to a work trip, do that will have cost me an mlr commute and prevent me hitting my target of 350m for the month, but I will hit the B target of 10m/day average. I spent 7 hours driving today, so we'll see what that' done to my tight hammy during tomorrow' run.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great training through the traffic there Al P, if you're planning any additional miles on Saturday let me know and I can suggest some routes if needed.

Cracking 5k time for a V45 SC2, where do you currently rank in the UK out of interest?

Charlie .. indeed lovely Temps here. No less than 10-12 at night and a pleasant 14-17 degrees in the day with 90% blue skies.  8.3m on the prom yesterday as I ran back and forth along it's length. Cripes Padams how many lengths did you have to do for the Ironman? ?
    Nice to run in t-shirt and shorts and no gloves for a change.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    TR - ah gotcha, I was thinking 'Lactate Threshold'! Hope the driving doesn't need up your hammie, I've been in a new job since last September which requires some long driving, getting out of the car after a couple of hours and needing to get a run in is not fun I've found...

Wardi - sitting on the train in the dark with rain looming at the other end, I'm not at all jealous  ;) hopefully this evening/tomorrow I'll get a better idea whether I'll be able to escape to parkrun or not, only aiming for 10ish in total on Saturday so might just make it up with some laps of the race course either side.

3.5M run commute to the train station so far this morning, legs feeling surprisingly fresh given yesterday's effort. Meeting a mate for a jog around Eastleigh and then into work. Couple of light single days now to hopefully recover decently for parkrun

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - a day of no running might do you some good (the driving probably not though!). I'm going to be touch-and-go for 300M in March, so behind you but not too far. On a completely different note, I keep thinking the "s" button isn't working on your keyboard/phone/iPad or whatever you're using, but then I notice it is working but never after an apostrophe!

TT - Paris should be fun. My made-up figure of 5:45s already had a bit of allowance for a taper, so not sure it will be enough to dip under 2:30. Plus I haven't been doing very high mileage so the taper won't make too much difference I suspect.

10M on Tuesday evening inc. 6x1M on the track. I did it with one clubmate in lane 6 while the main session was happening in the inside lanes, so we did 3.75 laps as the effort (which is pretty close to a mile in lane 6 based on a bit of maths!) and jogged the final bend, so probably only about 40s recovery. Efforts were 5:45-5:50.

Following on from CD's comment on the GPS measurement, we were running clockwise and can confirm the distance on my Garmin was close to 10% over (it thought I was running about 5:20 pace for the efforts, sadly I wasn't).

Only 3.5M yesterday because mini-Padams wasn't well so the day was a bit disrupted (he's better today), then 5M with the dog this morning and will do a slightly longer lunchtime run (maybe about 9M).

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Impressive training speeds Al & Padams.

TR: I suffered a kind of cranky ankle a few times and wondered if it was driving in my stiff work shoes (now got more bendy ones though), my accelerator foot held in place for ages. I've never been a fan of cruise control but maybe I should think about it next time we get a car, and check it out in the work pool cars. At least then I could relax both legs and move them around freely on open stretches of motorway.

I felt seriously fatigued last night and started Googling overtraining symptoms, which is never a good sign. I thought I'd rest today if I felt the same, but while I'm still ploddish, I somehow feel much better, so I did 11M (in two chunks) before work and will hopefully do another 10 onthe way home -- trying to bag another 100M week ending tomorrow (currently at 75). Unlike Wardi I was hugely layered up today, trying to get a bit of heat training in.
  • Options
    Years since I've posted here! Does anyone have any inside info about this:
    I just got my final email from VLM. On page 10 of the final instructions document it is clear that I (25646) am on the Blue mass Start. I'm surprised by this. For the last many years I've been on the Fast Good for Age start. In fact, after a dodgy year in 2016 (3:13:39) I was still on the FGFA start in 2017 where I was in better shape (3:05:29). I'm in still better shape for 2018 (very close or under 3). Anyway, I know they have to draw the line somewhere, but this seems odd for the above reason, and also, what happened to the "Normal" Good for Age bods being on the Green Start? Any ideas/knowledge?
  • Options
    Wardi - Early days in the V45 5k ladder, but no.1 at the moment, next about 16.40 odd. But PP and Simon from THH (who ran with me in Derry) both posted low 33's for 10k at the weekend, so they just need to find a decent 5k. TR - I love it, always time to get back on it ;)Al - I can see the Supernovas could help..they were ok when I was feeling energetic, but when I was a bit tired they felt like lead boots!
  • Options
    Steffan - what did you put as your predicted time and what time did you use for your qualifier? Those are the only things I can think of. Give the VLM helpline a call - probably your best bet to find out if it's real or a mistake and potentially be reallocated?

Glad mini Padams is better today.

Are you sleeping ok Charlie?

It's nice to be top of the rankings Simon.

Last LSR for me in what turned into a glorious morning once the frost had gone. It was so nice out that I made the most of it and did 22 miles with a nice negative split and strong finish. Maybe it's all coming together just in time?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CW - so you were worried about being overtrained, and are planning to run 21M today? Doesn't sound massively sensible to me (although it's easy to say that from an external perspective).

LMH - it was lovely for running this morning. Sounds like you had great run and are timing it perfectly!

9.5M done at lunchtime - chose a flat out-and-back route and was pleased to see some 6:3x miles feeling very easy. I think I might try some MP tomorrow (maybe 13M with 10M at MP, if I can manage that which is unlikely) before a final 20M+ easy run on Saturday.

• Options
    Padams - I'm having a similar pacing dilemma to you at the moment.  So far March has been great (on for 410+ miles) but February was terrible (got really sick, week in India when sick, broke my other Achilles tendon etc).  I could probably run 71:30 HM after a few easy days, which is touch and go for 2:30 territory.

Funnily enough I associate you with the post race phrase 'felt strong throughout'.  If anybody can turn early 5:45s into a 2:30, it may well be you.  That said, I've been studying split times (albeit for London, which has it's downhill quirk) and even the most even paced runners need 74ish at half way to run under 2:30.

I did manage 10 at a good pace yesterday evening, having had to change my intention 3 miles in once I realised that the group I intended to join for 5 x 1600 HM pace, 30s recovery (with 3M tempo wu, 2M after) were at a local race elsewhere.  I backed off a little and averaged 5:48 pace for the run.  On the plus side, that was after a monster 7 days (104 miles?) and only ill effects are a blister on my little toe.  My legs don't bother getting tired anymore - they realise it won't stop the next day's punishment so just get on with life.

I have a couple more big sessions planned, including a 20 with 16 @ 95% MP (having already done a 1 + 15 @ 6mm + 5 fast end of easy a couple of weeks back).  If I can absorb March and the final few sessions, plus maybe drop a half kilo (postpone Easter chocolate), I might get close.  Will probably be down to conditions on the day, groups forming etc.

• Options
    LMH. Thanks. I tried the helpline. There is no mistake and I will be at the front of the masses on Blue (not in front of the masses like the Champ Start). The issue is: GFA is getting more popular and they've now split us into three groups, one at each colour of start.

I'm obviously mainly worried that my "final evacuation" (that has been relatively easy for 13 years on the various smart starts) will be compromised on the mass start. The helpdesk stated that the blue GFA-ers will be queueing with the masses.

I'm a one-trick pony, so my qualification race is always the London Marathon and my target has been 3:00 for the last several years, but as I said, this year my qually time was a good chunk better than the year before.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Steffan: welcome back.  If you're on Blue you'll be just behind the Champs start and - assuming it's the same as last year - when they walk you forward you'll be able to mix in with the Champs runners to a degree, which should be pretty useful for a tilt at sub 3/low 3s.  Most of the ladies will be aiming for that and any men who have a bad day should come back to you near the end.  Not sure what the toilet situation is like on the mass Blue start.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Definitely peak marathon training time in here with some huge weeks going in.
    TT - sesamoiditis still painful, but bizarrely I'm able to run big miles no problem. Just hurts the foot when I poke it or bend the toes excessively.

Had a big weekend of it with a 3h40 run on Saturday morning (no idea of distance, but I'd guess around 28-29 miles of which the last 5 were the quickest), then another 5 miles in the evening, followed by a decent 12 the next morning.  Two days later did 10x800 on the track avg 2:48, then 16 of my quickest midweek miles for a long time the next evening.
    Not sure tapering makes much difference to me tbh, so another couple of weeks with a bit of fine tuning and we should be good to go.
  • Options
    I had no idea Steffan - I wonder how they're deciding who goes where. Good to hear that the standard of British marathon running is improving though.

Good to hear that the sesamoiditis isn't affecting your running Dan.

Sounds like an 'interesting' February BEJ - amazing that you're back to where you are.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    LMH - LSR well bagged, sounding encouraging  :)

Padams - A good time of year for 6:30s to feel easy!

BEJ - Nice steady 10M after a big week and after achilles trouble (sounds familiar to me!)

Dan - Good mix of volume and speed there then! Looking at the VLM final instructions you won't be needing to stand up for 3 days before the race this year?

Running mate had to bale on the planned loop of Eastleigh this morning, conveniently messaged me just as the train I was on pulled into Southampton station, so i took the opportunity to hop off and run the 8 or so miles up to work. Oddly my legs felt quite rubbish compared to before getting on the train, wonder if the sitting down for 40mins made them seize up a bit... Was glad to get the plod over and done with!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Padams - my phone deletes the s after an apostrophe. Agreed on the rest day doing me good, but is rather it was a Tues or Thurs when life logistics limit me to 6 or 7m. I have lost my weds and Fri commutes this week so lots of lost miles.

LMH - Good work on the 22m, keep ticking in the taper.

CW- I was driving a big van, so LT ideal for that length of time, but my legs seemed ok today.

6m today, only slightly tight hammys (both legs so that must be from all the stretching), will try to run a 're end distance tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I took the fast bowler in for an end of winter once over at the physio today, he said he had seen 4 marathon runners yday, so it' that time of campaign!

In other news I received my vlm  email today so deferring my place had worked (even though it's not supposed to) after all.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Some mightily impressive faster sessions and long runs - and very long runs - going on and beyond the odd tweak and creak seems everyone is more or less intact for the marathon month of April - so time for a list: apols if I've missed anyone and do add yourself

April Marathon dates
    Paris - TT
    Manchester - SJ
    Brighton - UDS
    Great Welsh - OO
    London - TR, DanA, CW?,Joe, Jooligan, Al_P, Padams, BJ, SK, CD?
    ? - LMH 
    5m recovery this morning after a faster 7m y'day inc. 3m 5.50. Slight issue with my left hip still (think its caused by allowing the pooch to sleep on our bed and she takes all the room, causing - so she is back in her basket for now). 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    April Marathon dates
    Paris - TT
    Manchester - SJ
    Brighton - UDS
    Boston - LMH
    Great Welsh - OO
    London - TR, DanA, CW?,Joe, Jooligan, Al_P, Padams, BJ, SK, CD?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I'm at VLM OO - can't edit at the moment.
    Been off all the starts in my time and no preference TBH.  Green this year presumably with the other senior seniors.
  • Options
    Some odd things going on with GFA - there's another thread with some folks around 3:05 not being on FGFA.  Pen 1 of Blue is OK though.

We're now in Malta for Easter and running in short sleeves for the first time in 5 months. 11 miles in 20+ degrees yesterday made a nice dhange from snow!  Last long run before VLM on Sunday or Monday.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    CD - I don't want to hear that, I got rained on again today (every run this week !!!!!)

Simon - you got me thinking about track today, I remember a key session of 10x400, 60sec rest, you had to do them under 60sec or you had to miss the next. All done in 20min too.

CW googling over training made me smile given 2 rest days/week. I have googled it a few times recently too due to my hurty quads (that wasn't even in the symptoms list).

16 wet and windy miles today, no tight hammy, just the usual achy quads. Maybe I'll find a way to roller them as well as the hammy. 16m salvaged the week a bit too.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    CD: I was in Green last year & again this with my 3:02:19 PB. Mate was in Red FGFA last year with 3:00:25 so guess the cut was around 3:01-2. Guess more people are getting faster. There's bound to be more qualifying since they split the V40 & V50 qualifying time. big difference in the number who can run inside 3:20 vs 3:15.

10M road race today was a bit disappointing with fatigue getting the better of me. I was running in ASICS Piranhas too & with about a mile and a half to go I was regretting the lack of cushioning. Calves were very unhappy with me at the end too. Managed a 7s PB but was looking to take 90s off really.
  • Options
    Well done on the PB Jooligan.

I'm jealous CD - though I did manage another dry run this morning which was appreciated.

Easy to roll your quads TR but lots of quad stretches are probably as beneficial.

I always enjoyed the green start Wardi though it was nice meeting some of the guys from here last year.

Hope your hip eases OuchOuch. No London for me, Boston (Lincs rather than the glamorous one) on the 15th for me.

Backed up yesterday's 22 with 14 today which was easier than I was expecting. 100 miles for the week with tomorrow's run to come so unless the weather is really foul/I come down with the lurgy/legs seize up/knee gives way I should manage my highest mileage week of the year before heading into the madness of the taper. I intend to keep running every day unless life/whatever dictates otherwise but will reduce the volume by about 25% next week.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers LMH. Monster mileage. How many planned for tomorrow?
  • Options
    Not many Jooligan! I'll see if the weather is as bad as forecast and how the legs feel but hope for maybe 10.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Jools  - any sort of PB is good going on a shocking day like today, esp during big miles, you posted about a 100m week the other day.

LMH - wow, 100m in 6 runs in 6 days, no wonder you have legs of steel. So 80ish next week ? Race day 2 weeks time? I'l have a roll about on the roller later.
  • Options
    Race day two weeks Sunday TR. A maximum of 80 next week I think, I'll try and keep it down a bit.