Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Shades, great run the other night well done in those conditions. This weather is getting too much now, prefer the snow!

Big well, well done for sticking with the no drinking, I can stop drinking for several weeks at a time but do miss it. 

Ian PF is a nightmare my oh has it at the moment too,

Cal I've had a few timing issues at parkrun, if you have your watch time, they will change it.

Had a rest day on Friday and then on Saturday 2 mile run to parkrun, I thought I was token sorting at the end but mistakingly put my name down to give the tokens at the end, yuk 270 lots of different peoples sweat collecting their token.

Decided to have few beers watching the football, a few beers turn out to be 12 bottles! Not great prep for sundays 10 miler.  Sunday's race was a disaster... although I knew I wasn't going to PB I thought I'd give it a go and raced off far too fast and struggled even walked at points finishing 7 mins slower than my pb 1.23.

I'm hoping now I've had a crap race and a blow out on the drinking its enough to give me the kick that I need. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - sorry to hear you had such a tough race, that must have been an awful experience.   Maybe you were dehydrated after the beer and in the heat there was no chance of having a good race.  Just put it behind you.

Agree, this weather is too much now.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

just disappointed with myself.... need to re focus and get back into the swing of things

I also forgot my ware joggers membership form but for part of my prize they gave me a stamp so will get my arse into gear and get it sent today.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Hard luck on Ware 10,easy to say but just try and put it down to a bad day and move on.
    Tough run for myself today,20 miles was the plan and it started well but got to 14 and started to feel dehydrated,had some water left but couldn't find a shop or pub to get more, started slowing down and eventually stopped just after 18.
    Been drinking plenty of water all day but think it shows I'm not quite ready for long distances yet.
  • Options
    entered a couple of events, Sunday doing Fairlands Valley 50km, be my 3rd year on the bounce. Not worried about a PB or time just to enjoy the run eat some cake. Also a mid week 5 mile a week on Thursday
  • Options
    ian was very warm today, distance and pace goes out the window, stick to amount of effort and time on feet.  Hopefully get a few cooler days 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's the remedy to a bad race experience, enter another one (or two) :)    

Hope you've posted that membership form now ;) 

Ian - this is exceptionally warm weather for our long runs.   Bad luck not being able to find somewhere to get water.   On one of my 20 mile routes I have a garage at halfway to get water but once I got there and it was shut 'for refurbishment' which ruined my plans but then I saw a lady out gardening and she kindly refilled my bottle for me.   I have also popped into churchyards as they usually have a tap for the flowers that I've used in emergencies

Very warm last night, found it really hard to get to sleep.  This morning it's humid but quite dark and overcast and definitely feels like the weather is changing a bit.   Had a lovely hilly run today and when I got to the top of one hill the wind was really strong, normally I'd have muttered under my breath but this time the wind was cool and very welcome.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Robert, you'll get back to it, no doubt.  Entering a 50k is some way to "get back in the swing of things" though ;)  

Well done on your run in this heat, Ian.  There was one time I went into a postoffice to fill up my water bottle as I was desperate, and fortunately they were very obliging.

I forced myself out the door this morning and managed a 5-miler at a purposefully slow pace.  The first mile was rubbish and I had to force myself to carry on as I didn't want to turn around again!  I don't know what the problem is really; before Barca I was pretty pleased with how I was doing and had some great runs.  Somehow, I just feel a bit achey; no niggles as such in terms of pain, but more a bit achey and ploddy.  I had a big drink before I went out and I didn't feel dehydrated or thirsty on my run, although it was humid again.  Anyway, I hope I get back to normal, sharpish!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Nice 50k entered.Is that this Sunday?
    There was 2 shops when I was starting to get to get low,but 1 was closed for a refit and the other looks like it's been shut for a while now.Woke up with a slight headache today so I was probably still dehydrated.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Superb 10k PB!!

Did a short 2 mile run on Thursday, which was fine, however then on Friday my ankle hurt when I got out of bed, not sure what I did to it!! Anyway, hobbled around Paris at the weekend, but didn't do Parkrun as didn't want to make it worse. Not run today either, so that it can heal itself properly. So annoying as I've run about 2 miles in the last 12 days :/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well at least you are back out there running, I'm sure it's just a blip that will go away as mysteriously as it appeared.

Ian - I'm sure you were still dehydrated, it's not easy to rehydrate in this weather, as long as your legs are OK :) 

Steve - how odd about the ankle but hopefully it will heal quickly.  Maybe a sprain but you didn't realise at the time you'd injured it.    Hope you enjoyed Paris though.

Great Pilates class today, tough in places though.   Definitely a little cooler today, quite pleasant walking home, but my flat will take a day or two to cool down. 
  • Options
    Big G-  good that you've been out on your board it must feel good trying so ething different. Beautiful dog by the way.
    Ian- It so difficult getting your hydration right in this warm weather. I always try and plan my long runs so I run past a petrol garage so I am guaranteed at least to get water.

Out for 6 miles this morning before work got a good bounce in my legs again. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Steven, good you're getting your bounce back a bit.  Good "bouncebackability" there, if that's even a word ;)  Yes, I'm really pleased I've got the board and trying something new, although I've only been out on it once so far!

Regarding the SUP, I was a bit concerned the pressure gauge may have been reading low, and I was worried about over inflating it.  The board seemed stiff enough to me on the ground, but I only got it to 10psi when it needs to go to 15-17psi.  I could feel a bit of "flex" in it when using it, so I put a post on the SUP group, and basically it's unlikely the gauge is wrong and I just need to try harder to pump it up, which I've just done as a trial.  Put it this way, it's very hard work, and I may look at getting a compressor instead :)  Hopefully after the dry bag (which I bought yesterday for only £4) and a compressor, I won't need anything else.  The fact I was using it at 10psi definitely won't have helped its stability, so maybe when I try it again on 15-17psi, I won't fall in as often :)  

I was hoping to get out on it today but there's about 2ft of swell, which is too much for me at the moment, as a novice.  Looking at the forecast (there's a site, which shows wind speed and swell) it may be a bit calmer tomorrow or Thursday.
  • Options

Shades the form for joggers is currently filled, stamp on the envelope but have no details of membership secretary! I also been out for a run today and came across a couple of Ware 10 signs so now I have a reason to go to the club... will see how I am on Tuesday after sundays run I may go for a general run with the club rather than a session to break me in gently. The cooler weather is defo welcome

Big G sure it wont be long till you get back in the swing of things again either, could just be the warm weather taking its toll?

Ian, yup this sunday, will decide during the run if to do 50km or marathon distance. same price, same medal and they don't really care as long as you have fun.  I had a similar scenario before Manchester but not with shops closed but toilets ran past 3 and all been knocked down or shut!

Steve hope the ankle heals, mines almost 100% after 2 months when I went over it at NDW.

Steven I'm missing that spring in my step, I hope it returns!

6 steady miles for me today in much cooler conditions...  will be warm again over the weekend for FVC! Hope that I'm using last sunday as a spring board for the remainder of the year so far so good not been diving into loads of rubbish food, just need a bit of self discipline

• Options

Big G Bouncebackability is defo a word.. penned by Ian Dowie (think was Crystal Palace manager at the time) about how they'd get relegated then bounced back up

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bouncebackability

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Robert - these things happen. The beer won't have helped, but it was also hot. I had a similar thing in Harry Hawkes last year. I'd run 1:31 the first time and was hoping to go under 1:30 but ended up running 1:36 as it was warm, very humid and I just wasn't having a good summer. Fortunately I bounced back this year and achieved the time I wanted. You will too.

So today was my turn to run my leg of the London Relay (the charity world record attempt taking place over 30 days). On the plus side, it was much cooler than it has been over the last few days, but I was a bit concerned because my stomach, which had been fairly quiet since its volcanic turmoil on Wednesday night/Thursday last week, decided to kick off again, so it was a case of Imodium and prayer. Fortunately the run went off without a hitch. Well, mostly. It's a 10K route from London Bridge down to Waterloo, over Westminster Bridge and back the other side, over Tower Bridge and back to the start by the big eye-shaped council building. Nice route but had to duck and dive through oblivious herds of tourists - it was tempting to use the relay baton as a weapon, but I settled for lots of loud "excuse mes". I'd have been better off with a marine air horn, to be honest.
    Got a little medal for participating and - bonus - managed not shit myself, so it was all good.
    If anyone would like to donate to the effort (it's supporting young disadvantaged people) my link is here: https://londonrelay.co.uk/u/CalJones
    Or there are still plenty of spaces if you'd like to give the run a go yourself. Probably best to pick a quieter time, though, if you want to avoid crowd rage.  :D

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't even realise that you had to inflate the SUP, I thought they were like surfboards :/ 

Robert - you're making very hard work of joining Ware ;)   If all else fails, there will be an address on EA website, which will probably be the secretary, although that may not be the membership secretary.

Cal - well done for taking part in that relay with a dodgy stomach, no wonder you wanted to use the baton to clear your route.

Another warm night here but much fresher and cooler especially once I'd got away from the town area on this morning's run.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I got an inflatable one mainly because of space, plus I haven't got a roof rack on my car.  I think the hardboards are generally better but also a lot more expensive, and it's the inflatable ones that have really taken off more recently, especially amongst total beginners.  It took me about 10-mins to inflate yesterday, so I suppose it's not too bad, although I did have a sweat on at the end!

Cal, when done on the relay.  Sounds a good event.

I did 7-miles this morning, and enjoyed it generally, although still quite ploddy.  It was nice to be out though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - better then to have an inflatable then, a roof rack is another expense and then the security aspect if you want to park up for a while and leave the car.   Inflating it is a good warm up exercise then ;) 

It was still humid in a lot of places this morning and probably a bit warmer when you went out, I was home by 7 a.m. and it was starting to warm up then.   You're running mojo is coming back, or should I say 'coming home' today ;) 

I'm really enjoying the TdeF, only watching the highlights.   Good to have a fuller explanation on the Chris Froome issue which they did on Day One.  I did enjoy the team time trial, when it's the individual it's not such great viewing.

marathon list coming up

Robert - I've put you down for the 50km on Sunday :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nothing doing today. Didn't feel right when I woke up. I was going to have a bit of a deload week anyway, due to the achilles, but I just feel wiped out today. Probably a combination of the virus and not enough sleep due to the hot weather. Fortunately it is cooler today, though how long that will last I don't know.
  • Options

Cal well done on the relay, heard them plug it on MT a few weeks back and well done again for not using the batton to clear a pathway! Reminds me when I did a santa run in the city there were loads of us but no one got out of our ways lol.  Enjoy your rest day.

Big G nice plod

Shades more than likely to drop to marathon but will decide, never been on the Marathon Talk podium and theres not many races this week lol.

Trains are still awful, 8th delay in 13 working days (7 different days) 7 of which have been more than an hour! This morning was going to have a run by work checked the train times and saw a cancellation... still managed to get out did a 6 mile progression, not particularly fast started at 8.56 down to 7.45 usually like to get close to 7 min miles but that's on a good day.  Pleased to get out and 2 days of not eating rubbish too. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, well done on the food.  I'm back to normal now too, after Barca.  Really annoying about the trains :(  

Shades, I haven't seen that much of the Tour yet.  I saw bits yesterday, but nothing before that.

I've just been out for a short SUP practice.  I enjoyed it, although the sea was more choppier than when I first tried it.  As such, I didn't even really try and stand up, but like I say I still enjoyed getting out there.  I had my Garmin, and the trace looks unusual for a runner.  Fortunately my new dry bag works just fine :)  
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G, there was a fair few on the River Dart tones (behind School on 10k route. Landing Jetty and calm water, we were above the wier, it’s not deep and lots of people using water. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jelly.  I think for River Dart, technically I need a license (how often licenses are checked, I'm not entirely sure).  I believe for tidal rivers no license is needed, and no license is required for the sea, but for most rivers a license is needed - it does means that River Teign from Newton Abbot quay doesn't require a license, which is good.  British Canoeing do an annual membership that includes a license (£45 for the year), so I may look into that in the near future.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That’s interesting, is that any water craft 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Cal - that stomach virus combined with the hot weather will make you feel wiped out, a few days rest maybe to get over it.   Annoying that your achilles is still niggling you too.

Robert - you'll soon get back to enjoying not eating rubbish again :)   

The trains must be so frustrating, it's bad enough to have to commute anyway without it being a daily challenge to get there on time, or get there at all.

Big G - I just record the Tour highlights programme and then with the ads edited out it's a neat 50 minutes a day with all incidents reported.  Chris Boardman is very good too with his daily master class in some of the technicalities of bike racing, always done in a light hearted manner.

Good the dry bag works fine.

I think I'd better start looking out for you on your SUP board when I'm out running, I've never seen anyone on an SUP around my running routes but I guess the river is too narrow or it's tidal.   Totnes is definitely the place to go for anything on the river, when I worked in Totnes I used to park up at lunch time and watch the rowing.

Extra rest day today, after Monday's tough Yogalates class I had a twinge in my glute and hamstring and Tuesday's Pilates class aggravated it.  I felt it on yesterday's run so took some ibuprofen during the day and cancelled this morning's Pilates, same instructor as Monday so I know it'll be a tough class.   This morning I can barely feel it so looks like I've caught it in time.  My marathon on Sunday has a couple of tough hills and the rest of it is undulating so don't need a sore glute or hamstring.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, I'm not entirely sure - I'm not too clear on the rules on the rivers at the moment.  I know SUPs aren't included in the license for all rivers, and the website seems to use a loose term of "paddling".  I think the rivers/waterways are managed by different bodies, but anything tidal I believe is okay.  So, for us, I think we are allowed to get on at Dittisham/Stoke Gabriel on the Dart, for example, with no problems.  But it's not 100% clear to me at the moment.

Shades, in the past I have seen people get on at Newton Abbot quay and go up towards Teignmouth from there.  I haven't been for a while but I believe both Passage House Inn and Coombe Cellars have entry points/quays, so plenty of coffee stop opportunities too :) 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, I've just had a better look on the British Canoeing website and the legal position isn't even clear from them.  Two quotes from their site:
    - Throughout England and Wales there is a high level of uncertainty regarding the legal rights of the public to use canoes and kayaks on waterways.
    British Canoeing believes, based on a wealth of historical evidence, that there is, at common law, a public right of navigation on all rivers which are physically capable of navigation.  It is acknowledged that this position is firmly rejected by others. 

I think the reason for the confusion is that the banks and river beds are technically privately owned, and some of the landowners get tetchy about it.  I think, in general though, as long as someone doesn't trespass on someone's land to access the water, it should be fine.  I.E., it probably wouldn't be advisable to dock at Greenway (Agatha Christie's house) and get in/out the water from there, as Greenway is owned/managed by NT.

But I'm (near) certain that tidal rivers are okay to access from public jetties/quays, hence the Dart around Stoke Gabriel and the River Teign from Newton to Teignmouth should be okay, even without a license.  However, the license does come with insurance too, so it may be worth it from that point of view anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - from the Quay at Newton Abbot towards Teignmouth would be quite a safe route to start your river exploration as it's very calm.  Although the 2 swans with their 3 cygnets are very territorial at the moment so you might find they try and chase you off ;)

If you find yourself on privately owned water someone will soon put you right!

Definitely fresher here this morning, although I've only been shopping.   Forecast 21 (feels like 23) for my marathon on Sunday so that's good considering what we've had lately.