Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    subsequently weather was shit. 

2.59.54 chip time!
  • Options
    Afternoon folks.  Apologies for the lengthy absence, just thought I'd pop in to congratulate DT on today's performance and noticed that Muddy put in an impress show last week as well.  Well done DT and Muddy.

I'll have a a bit of a read back - any particular highlights recently?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    thanks Lou.

yes, Stevie g popped in and a few of us had a conversation about bowel habits and running. You'll like that. 
  • Options
    My favourite subject
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Nice one DT! Was pretty miserable out there in the constant rain but pretty reasonable conditions for quick times. Enjoy its been well earned!
  • Options
    Mine was 3 weeks ago Lou, I was just late with the report, but good to see you back here. Planning anything ?

Congratulations on the sub 3 DT. That's a great run, I can imagine it was painful though, being so close to your target.

The weather was awful here for Birmingham Half. With a return to mileage after Hull marathon, I took advantage of the more reasonable wet  weather to have a parkrun on Saturday at marathon effort (19.15).

The half was cold, wet and utterly miserable. I had some GI misfortune, possibly care of a post parkrun cafe breakfast that kept me up through the night and a solid breakfast wasn't possible pre-race. I drank lots of sugary tea instead. I thought it was out of my system but once the race had started and my bladder started bouncing around it was a different story and for the first time in a race I had to stop for a pee. Luckily the heavy rain meant the only onlookers were those in the race. I finished eventually in 1.19.40-ish for a subdued  effort. I felt very tired over the last couple of miles, which was to be expected. I am very much looking forward to a rest day today.

• Options
    DT19 said:
    subsequently weather was shit. 

2.59.54 chip time!
    Really pleased for you DT. You've worked really hard for that and deserve to feel pleased with yourself.

Felt for you when it was so hot at London but rather than destroying yourself you ran sensibly and turned it into a positive experience and now you get to reap the rewards.

Look forward to reading about the last half mile in the race report and how much roaring you had to do for those crucial 5 seconds.

WELL DONE!! B)B)B)B)
  • Options
    Afternoon folks.  Apologies for the lengthy absence, just thought I'd pop in to congratulate DT on today's performance and noticed that Muddy put in an impress show last week as well.  Well done DT and Muddy.

I'll have a a bit of a read back - any particular highlights recently?
    Hi Lou - welcome back - where've you been?

Also how is McFlooze's knee?

I ran parkrun in the rain on Saturday morning (first run for 5 months). I started off what seemed ridiculously easy and just kept it at that pace - still mopped up loads of people in laps 2 and 3 who can't pace properly despite doing it every week but by the last quarter of a mile my legs had died on me.

24:30 but the foot pain has come back since so still crocked (made me feel more motivated to get cycling at the gym though - this week's focus).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks Mr V. Did you do the 10 miler?

Well done on the parkrun, Skinny. Shame the foot issue has swiftly returned. I have learnt to start sensibly in all my races now. Parkrun I am often in about 15-20th place after 400m yet often end up in the top 5.

Thanks, it was a tough decision to change the goal at London and was disappointing to get to that point and have to do so. I'll do a report when I can this week. It was pretty edgy from about mile 3, just the further in I got the emphasis shifted.

Muddy, well one on the Brum half. What was the new route like? Reasonably flat?

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hello lou!   Any news from your end?

Well done on the parkrun, skinny.  Bad news about the foot pain though.  Had you built up to parkrun distance or was it just run on impulse?

Nice one, DT!!  A well-deserved sub 3.  Look forward to reading your report.
  • Options
    PeteHew said:

Well done on the parkrun, skinny.  Bad news about the foot pain though.  Had you built up to parkrun distance or was it just run on impulse?

Impulse driven by weather and personal circumstances - namely too wet to golf or garden and Mrs Skinny away so nothing to be gained by staying in bed! ;)  
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Shame the foot hasn't stood up to a parkrun Skinny . Has the supplementary work not been making any difference at all ?

DT - The course is mostly the same, but runs in reverse compared to the old Broad Street finish route so you don't have the massive hill of St James Rd all in one go at the end, but instead the 1st kilometre and last kilometre are up hill, the section up to the mosque is now reversed so that's a tough uphill. and then the usual hills around Bournville and Selly Oak. I think the previous iteration of the route is quicker but haven't been back to compare the two yet. I know I'm in decent shape as Strava went bonkers with me breaking my segment records around the course - it was just a shame to fizzle out towards the end. I went through 10k in 37.22 feeling comfortable and that included the 30 second loss to the pitstop ! Also, my watch made it long at 13.2 and I saw a few 13.3s in the Strava 'You ran with' lists.

Edit: Compared last year's course/run to this year. Pretty much same elevation gain. 1.24:00 last year for 154 bpm, and 1.19.35 officially this year, also for 154 bpm. So obviously, I'm in good nick right now.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Quick sneak in and out
    DT old son, you've come along way from the banana eating, camping out in toilets man we all came to know and love.

Perfectly timed sub 3 there, never in doubt slightly older son  <3
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    On another note, this thread started a mere 3 or 4 months before I last raced a 10miler!
    Where have the years gone!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have popped my race report on the 3.15 thread. I didn't see the point copy and pasting it in various places.

Stevie, yes I do still think back to those days with a degree of fondness, but like anything else in life we all have to move and improve systems to get better and leave the old days behind.

• Options
    DT19 said:

I have popped my race report on the 3.15 thread. I didn't see the point copy and pasting it in various places.

Surely you've posted that on the wrong thread! B):DB)
  • Options
    Skinny - Sorry to hear the foot still causing problems.  Same problems, or different problems?
    Quick recap of the last 12 months for McF and me:
    You may recall did a couple of ultras last Autumn, then decided to have a bit of time out to let a niggle in my foot sort itself out. Well the foot niggle hasn't sorted itself out but I've decided to have a go at running again; taking a low mileage, quality plus cross training approach.  so, for the last few months I've been doing ~3 crossfit sessions per week, plus one or two quality runs, plus an occasional easy jog.  I'm really enjoying the crossfit, so although I would quite like to get back into running 'properly' I reluctant to give that up, so can't see myself upping the mileage much in the near future.  Sights are on the coming cross country season - though I've handed over the captain's armband (hallelujah).  I also have number for Telford 10k in December (elite race lol) - that will be interesting.
    McF was all set to have an op on her knee.  Then for some reason, I forget exactly, she was examined by a different consultant.  He was a keen runner, skier etc etc and he advised her not to have the op, but just go out and run and ski and whatever and see how it holds up.  She can't do any more damage, he says.  So, so she's been trying to get back into it, but she's put on a bit of weight and working fultime again, so is probably not doing as much, or as quickly, as she would like.  She entered the Manchester Marathon 2019, so she needs to get her skates on, so to speak.
    Really pleased to see the thread is still going - all hail Skinny.
  • Options
    DT19 said:

Surely you've posted that on the wrong thread! B):DB)
    Last time I looked, all the 3:15 threadites were running about 2:50.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Pleased to read that you and McF are both doing some running, lou. It would be great if you both resumed posting on here too.  For various reasons, the thread has been flagging lately.
    P.S. Maybe the 3:15 thread should be renamed Sandbaggers :p
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    yes I'm never quite sure if it's for aspiring sub 3 15 runners or those that have smashed it and want to talk about how far up on 3.15 they are. 5 of my 6 marathons are all comfortably sub 3.15 so I must be in latter category. 

You must be getting quite hench with the crossfit, Lou!!
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Excellent report there DT (sponsored by Erdinger non alcoholic isotonic beer!) and it was hair raising stuff at the end. So much vomiting too! That surge of adrenaline as you contemplate what you are about to do post hotel breakfast is a recently familiar experience. Congratulations again on a great run and not giving in.

Interesting on fatigue winning rather than lack of aerobic strength as you’ve certainly been diligent on the long runs ... far more than me ... and mid week longs. Would you do anything different in taper now, knowing how it turned out ? I know for me an all out half two weeks out was unsatisfactory.

Telford should be a good experience Lou ... but hope we don’t get similar weather to last year - I’m doing the 10 mile pudding run that same day, but otherwise would have liked to have done it myself. Good luck to McF on the comeback - seen some encouraging activity on Strava.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd do much different. perhaps I wouldn't try and race two flat out halfs 4 and 6 weeks before. my half 2 weeks out at 6 48 pace and 163 hr was probably just right as I went through half way at 6.48 pace. Perhaps having run such a heavy schedule I needed a 3 week taper not 2. 

Each cycle I try and bring something new to the party and this time I wonder whether I should be looking at more specific strength work regime to help with leg fatigue late on. I can't fit in any more running. 
  • Options
    Congratulations DT on your sub-3. Well deserved. 

Muddy - congratulations on the PB. Very descriptive, humorous review. 

I think I saw Tommy in Auckland a few weeks ago at a Parkrun. I saw a face I recognised, couldn’t think from where, and, so didn’t say hello. It may have been him at the cafe but Tommy was there according to Strava. We exchanged a few messages. He is right about Auckland; it’s not got a lot of flat parts. 

I lurk every now and then on here. It’s good to see it’s still going and attracting new posters.
  • Options
    Great race report DT.  You really captured the emotions of the day!  Reading reports like that really do inspire me to run faster (and longer).  A sub 3hr marathon is a true achievement.  Congrats.
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Skinny - Sorry to hear the foot still causing problems.  Same problems, or different problems?
    Same

Quick recap of the last 12 months for McF and me:
    You may recall did a couple of ultras last Autumn, then decided to have a bit of time out to let a niggle in my foot sort itself out. Well the foot niggle hasn't sorted itself out but I've decided to have a go at running again; taking a low mileage, quality plus cross training approach.  so, for the last few months I've been doing ~3 crossfit sessions per week, plus one or two quality runs, plus an occasional easy jog.  I'm really enjoying the crossfit, so although I would quite like to get back into running 'properly' I reluctant to give that up, so can't see myself upping the mileage much in the near future.  Sights are on the coming cross country season - though I've handed over the captain's armband (hallelujah).  I also have number for Telford 10k in December (elite race lol) - that will be interesting.
    May I ask what the unresolved foot niggle is - I have a specific long term interest :D
    Well done on becoming a gym bunny - I've really struggled to commit to that.
    Anyhow I'm off to a gym tonight to start my indoor cycling effort - I did a bit a couple of months ago and got to 18.83 miles in an hour from about 16 when I started so will probably try and target 25 (20 first obviously) and see if that can get me excited about exercise again.

McF was all set to have an op on her knee.  Then for some reason, I forget exactly, she was examined by a different consultant.  He was a keen runner, skier etc etc and he advised her not to have the op, but just go out and run and ski and whatever and see how it holds up.  She can't do any more damage, he says.  So, so she's been trying to get back into it, but she's put on a bit of weight and working fultime again, so is probably not doing as much, or as quickly, as she would like.  She entered the Manchester Marathon 2019, so she needs to get her skates on, so to speak.

Hi to McFlooze and sorry to hear she has had to go back to full time work (just my silly joke I'm sure she loves it) - hope she manages to find the time to get back into the running - at least she is doing a lot more than me and I'm sure she will be doing more training than a lot of people entered in Manchester Marathon 2019!

Really pleased to see the thread is still going - all hail Skinny.
    Hmmm - it is still going but it should be all hail Muddy and DT - I'm an occasional visitor (as are most people now) and I stopped the TTT over a year ago now - it's comforting though that when a landmark event happens everyone is still out there somewhere ready with their congratulations.
  • Options
    Tommy2D said:

Talking of parkruns, I made it to Cornwall park parkrun in Auckland yesterday. I'm still struggling with jet lag, waking up really early and falling asleep in the evenings and was knackered after about a 500m after starting the parkrun, the course was petty twisty and a lot hillier than I anticipated so dialled down the effort levels to finish in 21 minutes odd, although it felt pretty hard work. However, the most important/remarkable thing about yesterday's pakrun was that Richard (formerly of the thread) was there! Unfortunately I didn't know this until after the event when I saw it come up on my Strava, we had a brief online conversation, he's over here doing some tourist stuff having not done much when he lived here. He was doing a half marathon today. The world is a small place nowadays.  

RAH45 said:

I think I saw Tommy in Auckland a few weeks ago at a Parkrun. I saw a face I recognised, couldn’t think from where, and, so didn’t say hello. It may have been him at the cafe but Tommy was there according to Strava. We exchanged a few messages. He is right about Auckland; it’s not got a lot of flat parts. 

Yes he mentioned the incredible coincidence on here (see above).

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

DT - awesome stuff and thoroughly deserved. Great report to go with it. What's next for you?

Lou - good to see you back. Enjoy XC season, I'm planning on doing the Midlands XC at Leamington in late January, which I believe has the infamous ditch crossing? Are you planning on being there? Muddy/DT likewise?

Skinny - sorry to hear that your foot is still giving you grief. Good luck with the cycling, a lot of the good runners (in particular fell runners) seem to do a lot of cycling to supplement their running.

RAH - shame we didn't get to catch up in person at parkrun.

I ran in the slightly less bonkers 5K last night. It was a bit bloody windy but that's par for the course in Auckland. Anyway, the first mile was typically chaotic with people starting insanely fast and then fading rapidly. The second mile, which includes the most exposed part of the course and having to come to a dead stop to run round a cone, I managed to get on the back of a small group which helped. In the final mile the group split up and it was a bit of a solo battle back into the wind, I managed to minimise the slowdown pretty well. Although coming back towards the finish we ended up running in the opposite direction to a couple of very large running groups which wasn't ideal on a fairly narrow path. Anyway, I finished in 19:01, a 25 second improvement on last week and getting closer to where I was earlier this year (18:35). Hopefully a couple more weeks of consistent running will bring me back to that or at least somewhere near.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Tommy. Not much in the immediate term, though I am hoping to get a Brass Monkey place for January so that will give me some focus over mid November onwards.

I hoper to get some xc in, however it seems to be getting harder and harder to take the time out with all our family commitments.

I saw a guy (or maybe even 2) in your club vest on sunday. I think he was a bit behind me at the early switchback.

Sounds like you are making some progress there again then.

Thanks, David.

Hi Richard, shame you and Tommy didn't bump into each other.

• Options
    Hi all,

I apologise for the self-indulgent posts.  I'm after a few pointers on whether or not I'm on the right track training wise, specifically a quality session I've just completed.  The week so far looks like this:

Monday - 8m easy (8:09mm average)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 2m WU, 3m @ 7:09, 7:02 and 6:58, 2m cooldown

I wanted to get the quality miles at 7:15 but ended up going a bit faster.  It was tough and whilst I was grateful to slow to a trot come mile 6 I felt as though I perhaps had another half a mile in me at that pace. I don't know whether this will be detrimental to the rest of this week's training or not. We'll see. My main goal as you guys know is the LLHM at the end of March.  I'd like to get round in 1:35.  

For the rest of the week I had something like this planned:

Thursday - 5m easy
    Friday - 4m with strides
    Saturday - 10m easy
    Sunday - Rest (off on honeymoon!)

Total weekly mileage = 34

I think my main concern is that I'm struggling to form a decent weekly plan with only 4 training sessions.  I have the time for 5 but would have to be sensible about my 'easy' pace.  

Would welcome any thoughts on the above.  

Thanks as always for any help.
    David

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good luck with getting the Brass Monkey place, I tried a couple of years ago and the website crashed within seconds of them going on sale.

Yes there was quite a few from my club at York. Our first guy broke his PB by about 10 minutes to finish in 2:49, next was a guy who finished in 3:07 (perhaps who you saw) and then a bunch between 3:25 and 3:30. Another chap, who hadn't done much training, thought it would be a good idea to go for Sub 3 in his first marathon. He went through halfway in 1:26 (a minute quicker than his HM PB) and then ground to a halt at 18 miles for a DNF. Whoops!

David, I'd say if you can fit another run in of whatever length then go for it. Just make sure you run it easy, such that you can hit the proper paces when it comes to doing your quality session.