Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sensible work G-Dawg.

Thanks, Gerard... I keep checking po10 just to make sure!!!

Gul/Birch, i take Birch's point that one needs to capitalise on fitness as you never know what is around the corner. I have just found that for me, my best marathons (the ones I have finished and not had an horrific time) are the ones where I have erred on the less ambitious side of my fitness. Where I have gone with the more optimistic approach it has backfired on both occasions.

3 miles over lunch was unpleasant. My quads are still a mess. I have still to get a good nights sleep since the weekend. Even my garmin status advisor is onto me telling me for the first time I can recall that I am 'detraining'.

Sports massage this evening will hopefully help things along.

• Options
    Gul great news on a shiny new pb , nice report and that sub 3 is still a possibility.
    DT19 a cracking report , you held on right to the line and got your reward for holding your nerve ,the one most of us want but few will achieve, very well done.
    Nicko a very tough race the heat must have been unbearable fair play.
    Badbark happy birthday and a nice 3:15 to celebrate.

Not much to report here , ran a 5k for the club , went ok (21.14) but didn't run a step last week and nothing this week either so far just too busy (making excuses !)
    Great to see the regulars are taking up the slack ......
  • Options
    Birch - thanks, I respect your opinion, and you certainly know what you're talking about. It's just a gut feeling I have that 3:10 is my limit - certainly at the moment - and I would rather come away with 3:14:xx rather than risk detonating and not even get a PB. Of course, as you say, there is always the risk that I will not be in this position again and will never know whether or not I could have got a sub 3. (Mean guitar playing in that video by the way. A bit different to my style. And the singing is about a million percent better than mine too). I should have said that it's a long weekend and I may have 5 days without any running, although I have packed my shoes and kit ready for some beach/prom running just in case - we are staying in a caravan about 3 metres from the beach :)
    DT - hope the sports massage helps and you can get a good sleep and decent recovery.
    Leslie - good to hear from you. Hope you get some time to do a bit more running soon.
    Out late last night with some old work colleagues and didn't get out till 5:30am this morning. Did 9 miles with 7 @ 7:32/m. Let's call it MP ;)
    Not sure if I'll get to post any more till next week, so must wish Stevie and Lorenzo good luck at Abo this weekend, plus anyone else racing.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes good luck marathon guys this weekend. And good to hear from you Leslie hope you can get in some more regular milage. 
    I'm enjoying nice weather in the Lakes and aiming for a 60 mile week.
  • Options
    Thanks Gul, have a great long weekend! I have commenced carbloading today and will start loading the electrolytes tomorrow. Penultimate run tonight, 5m easy pace
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 'MP' session, Gul!

Thanks, Leslie!

Enjoying the carb load, Stevie. What's the plan in terms of grams etc?

Massage went well and feel much better for it today. Will try and get a run in tonight though it isn't priority this week. This time tomorrow i'll be sat on a flight to Barcelona where it's set to be 23c and sunny all weekend. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Enjoy Barcelona, DT. Hope you relax and reflect on the glory of your recent achievement.

I'll be interested to know the carb load info too, Stevie. My approach is very unscientific in that I don't have many on the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then eat whatever carbs appear on Thursday and Friday, then eat more of them. Saturday is carb themed but not huge amounts.

I think I'd like to try something a little more structured to my weight and needs.

Big work night out last night. Have decided sleep is more beneficial tonight than running. 
    Got a small trail route planned for Saturday. will probably start ramping things up again next week. 

It's quite nice this post-marathon glow malarky.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    DT - Glad you're feeling better. I'll aim for 450-500g of carbs although I'm not too strict on it. Will boost the carbs with Orange Juice, SIS Energy and by snacking on Banana chips at work. Will have a lighter day on Saturday, got an Italian booked in Oxford for the pre race carbs. Enjoy Barcelona!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, yes I aimed for 8g per kilo so I targeted anything just over 500g, albeit I didn't count on the Saturday.

Thanks, G-Dawg. First childfree break in quite some time for us. The 2-3 weeks post mara are always well needed and earnt for sure!

• Options
    G-Dawg - I recently brought the Runners Cookbook by Anita Bean. Theres some really good information and recipies in the there for carb requirements. I haven't had chance to have a proper read of it yet but I'll definitely be applying it to the Manchester campaign
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Nice to see you posting again and nice 5k too. 

DT - That made me laugh out loud. I totally get that and that time is yours forever. It's brilliant isn't it? Have a lovely break in Barca. 

I'm really excited about our boys in Abo. Can't wait to hear how it goes. 

Gul - Sounds fabulous. Very romantic! Have a wonderful time. 

Birch - I love your posts. It's great to have someone with so much experience and to be able to share the passion and wisdom you have for running! 

G-Dawg - Great pacing duties. It's very rewarding to do that. Nice one.

OO - 60 miles pw is great. How is your knee? 

Juggling work and life commitments here but had a lovely 10k jog with a fellow work colleague from our Cape Town office today. It was one of those lovely runs with a misty light rain fall but very pleasant temps about 17c. Will do some tempo stuff tomorrow with another pal. The body feels great a the mo and I'm raring to go. Just need to find race and let loose. :smile:

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - I hope you will never get sucked into stressing about targets, that's not what recreational sport is all about and certainly not what you are all about.   However you've improved your times dramatically without stressing over the last few years and maybe the chaps are right about "what if I am never this fit again.."  For some people the opportunity to cash in and record a time beyond the wildest dreams is worth trading for a little bit of stress (and running on a boring flat course with your eyes on the blue line).  Whatever the case, at the end of the year you will be chuffing pleased about what you've achieved. Especially in Lidl shoes.  :)

Done a few miles in the sweaty gym this week, had it to myself so no horrors to report, although when I flicked round the TV channels to find something to deaden the boredom the best offering was camel racing from Dubai.

Off tomorrow to the absolute a**e end of the boonies so mainly dropping in to say good luck to those racing this weekend, enjoy it and above all, DBS!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Humph. Knocked off my bike this morning by some prat who thought that it was fine to turn right across the traffic into a car park if that traffic was 'just' a cyclist in a hi-viz jacket who she clearly didn't see.  I now have achy knees, and right one looks a bit puffy.  Hope it all resolves really quickly and it's ok to run tonight.  A reasonable time at Valencia is within touching distance at the moment...
  • Options
    G-Dawg said:

I'll be interested to know the carb load info too, Stevie. My approach is very unscientific in that I don't have many on the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then eat whatever carbs appear on Thursday and Friday, then eat more of them. Saturday is carb themed but not huge amounts.

Exactly my technique too - carb depletion at the start of the week then stuff evey single form of beige food I can reach over Thursday & Friday - by Saturday I'm forced to take it a bit easier anyway!

Joolska - hope you're alright, for Britain;s "Cycling City"; Bristol can be a right arse to ride around at the best of times.

Best of luck Stevie and Poacher this weekend - look forward to hearing some tales of success on Sunday afternoon!

It's a good job I did drop out as I am barely able to walk normally let alone run after Chester T Squirrel esq has chafed me to oblivion - it's like someone has belt sanded my inner thighs! Looking forward to getting healed and trying out my new Inov8 Roclite 305s before Gower.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Very scary that. Please do be careful. Bikes can be such dangerous things as there are so many idiots out there.

Nicko - You sound in a bad way.

5 miles in the glorious sunshine along the prom today. 1 mile w/up easy then 3 miles tempo with 1 mile w/d. Tempo pace came out at around 6:44. That was a nice run. :)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey Jools! Hope you're OK.

Gul, I haven't congratulated you on a great HM, well done, Squire!

Nicko, rather you than me, Pal. That sounds horrific! Well done on doing that run, though.

WFH today so managed a cheeky lunchtime 5 miler in nice conditions. The first mile was at 7.03 pace. Less than 2 weeks since I averaged 7.05 pace in the Chicago marathon, today that pace effort felt like sub-6! 
    Just goes to show how long race efforts can take to recover from (well, me anyway). I loosened up a little and averaged 6.51. I want to maintain that pace on these runs for the rest of the year and carry it into the London campaign.

Good luck to the racers this weekend, especially the thread smackdown boys in Abo. 
    You lads give that course a good kick up the jaxy for me as the weather last year thwarted a PB attempt, missed it by 14 seconds.

I've said this already, but the water stations are quite spaced out, so don't get dehydrated like I did and puke twice at 23 miles. Watch out for the incline in the last mile.
    It's a good event, run well and DBS!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    On a happier note, good luck to this weekend's racers, especially the Abo marathon crew :)
  • Options
    Bloody hell Joolshope you're not too sore! Scary stuff.
    Nicko That sounds painful! It shouldn't but the comment about Chester the Squirrel chafing you to oblivion did make me chuckle.

G-Dawg - Thanks for the tip, I'll be taking s salt capsule every 30 mins and will take on water at every station so hopefully that will keep on top of it.

Thanks everyone else for the good luck messages. Itching to race now! Just a 20 mins jog to do tomorrow then it's race time.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Jools, that's a shocker - and exacerbated by the culprit not having the decency to contact you.  Hope your running not affected.   

Gerard - you seem to be in good shape - you're right - find a race !  

quiet week here - 29.5 so far - all pretty easy (legs still not fully recovered from the XC) :/  
     lastly (but certainly not least) good luck to Stevie and Lorenzo tomorrow, and any others in action 
  • Options
    Jools - sounds grim. Hope you recover quickly. I cycle a fair bit via Santander bike(!) in London and see some shocking behaviour from road users (Addison Lee cab drivers seem to have a complete disregard for cyclists hard wired into them) and pedestrians (usually with their ear pressed to their phone) alike that's a real danger to cyclists. Fair to say that not all cyclists are paragons of virtue either but it some way it's surprising that there aren't more accidents.

Gul - I'm pretty certain that 3:10 is not your limit, but you're right to take things one step at a time and not put too much pressure on yourself.

Stevie - what number did you say you were tomorrow. I'm 971 - aiming to park up and get to the start by 8am so I can just take it easy before getting going. I've got about a 90 min journey to get there so will be an early start for me.

Conditions look pretty favourable so if I don't secure my target time I'll only have myself to blame - I'll have to see what result I get from my rather unstructured training programme. It's been quite a fraught week at work this week but I'm hoping that won't make too much of a difference. I'm coming to the end of my experiment of not drinking caffeine for a couple of weeks before a race - it's been pretty dull only drinking water and fruit tea, but hopefully beneficial. Having gone through the caffeine depletion, do people think it's worth having some coffee before the start tomorrow morning?

On other matters, has anyone got any experience of the Mont Blanc Marathon (not to be confused with the UTMB)? A friend is doing it as is trying to tempt me along as well. The course looks stunning so I'm trying to work out whether I can justifying a long weekend in the Alps at the end of June.

• Options
    Lorenzo - I am number 1030. I'm aiming to park up and get there for 8 as well. Which car park are you parking in? 

Ref caffeine: as long as you are not sensitive to it it can give a good boost in racing. I normally take a caffiene gel/shot before a shorter race and I'll be taking 2 caffiene gels tomorrow
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Gul – Yeah, as Poacher say’s don’t stress too much about targets. Run honest, work hard over the last 10k and see what time you end up with. We do this for fun after all.

Stevie – Good luck, run a cracker!

Lorenzo – I always stay of caffeine for a week before a major race, and then take a 200mg tablet an hour before the start. The caffeine definitely makes a huge difference, although I’m not sure how much abstaining for the week does. I’d recommend taking caffeine but be careful with coffee, if you haven’t tested. It moves the bowels! I hope you have a great race.

I ran 15 miles today including a Parkrun after 9 miles. I really went for it, treating the Parkrun like a race and I’m chuffed with 18:07. That’s only 4 seconds outside my Parkrun PB and fastest since 2015. It’s also my highest WAVA in a Parkrun of 80.77%.

I’m surprised I managed to run so well, as my legs were stiff after the 3:13 training marathon on Monday and 5x1 mi intervals on Thursday.

This week I also clocked over 3k miles so far this year. I’m still on course for my goal of 3650+ miles for 10 miles a day average.

• Options
    Stevie - I think I'll go for the Dunmore Court car park. Can't remember where I parked last time I did it but this one seems to be next to a running shop and I might call in there on the way back as I could do with some new shoes.

Will keep an eye open for you - I presume that you look more like your RW photo than I do of mine! Hope to catch up tomorrow morning, either before or after.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quick check in to wish Lorenzo and Stevie all the best for tomorrow. Looking forward to some more great stories. 
  • Options
    Quick check in. 2.55.49!!!! Absolutely ecstatic! 1.29.05 first half/ 1.26.44 2nd half. Off to celebrate now!!
  • Options
    Also hope Lorenzo got what he wanted. I briefly saw him at the start and I did see him finish bit didn't see the time
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great one, Stevie - and a neg split too !  celebrate well  . . . 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    outstanding work, Stevie. Keen to hear the race plan as to how it was set to negative pb like that. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, well done Stevie! And defo more to come with that big negative split. Huge congratulations :)
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Massive congrats, Stevie, well done!!