Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - re the litter, I'm the same and dispose of it accordingly.  But when doing an event such as DD, Plym Trail or Cornish I hold onto it until I can either put it in a bin or give to a supporter/passer by.

Well your half turned out to be an odd one pacing wise.   Good for you trying to help other runners along though.

GPH 1984 - steven from this thread ran Stirling this year but not sure if he's doing it again next year.  It's on my to do list but won't be next year as it's quite an expensive trip from down here in the SW.

Big G - re the Italian races it's just something to be aware of. You'd be OK with your EA card but I'd suggest that you confirm entry and their approval of your medical clearance before booking any flights.

I agree those shirts are awful, look like tacky football shirts.  My friend thinks they look like a bag of Walkers crisps :D 

I think the runners that stop at say 105 are those that don't really enjoy marathon running but got swept into going for the 100.  When I got to 100 I stopped chasing numbers and didn't run any events that I didn't like, so that was all off road and some of the grimmest of the marathons such as Luton!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't really like looking too far ahead, but maybe if/when I get to the 100 I may ease off the marathon numbers and maybe look at my Half time if I can, but still do marathons I enjoy.  For example, next year is another year when I'm not going to be able to do Bideford Half, which is a race I enjoy, and so it seems a shame not to do it and maybe I'll actually train for that race at some point.  Who knows what I'll be thinking if/when the time comes though!

Robert, well done on trying to help other runners on that Half.  

Keith, good news you can make use of that entry.  I was looking at his "week at the knees" event and maybe making it a quad, but it doesn't come at the right time of year for me either as I have half an idea of trying to be fresh for Rotterdam in April.

I had a weird thing yesterday as I was just out walking on a short route and I felt what I think was cramp in my right calf.  It just came out of nowhere, and I can still feel it this morning.  I've never had that before, from just walking around.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - hope you have a good race on Sunday.   Those tests will be useful to you as long as you make sure they give you the results too.   Will they test your cortisol again as that was a bit high last time and something you might want to keep a check on.

Jelly - step away from FB and don't take any notice of them.  How can anyone blame you for any results info, the runners should report their own data and the results were out in time for anything to be verified anyway.   FB is evil, I use it for my club it's the only way to keep in touch, but I rarely post and never get involved in all the slagging off and blame culture that I see on other FB pages.

Never mind about missing a recovery run, you had a dodgy stomach so not a bad idea to rest until you feel 100% again.

Lovely run this morning, mild and good running conditions.   Legs feel better today, glutes still a bit achy, have my Pilates class this morning, I think that might hurt a bit.
  • Options
    Wow, you guys have a totally different Facebook experience to me. Aside from using it to keep in touch with people (I actually tend to fall out of touch with friends who aren't on it because I really hate the phone - I'm a bit autistic like that) I'm member of quite a few different groups and they're mostly very friendly and supportive.
    My club uses Facebook too and I've never had any issues. There's a few of us now doing the results by rota and if a result or PB is missed then the person tells us and we just add it in, no worries. I don't understand why someone would get so upset about something like that. I think that says more about them than Facebook.

10 miles this morning. I'm actually enjoying starting in the dark and then seeing it get light while I run. I might not enjoy it so much when it's -2 degrees...but it was warm this morning. I had my high vis jacket on and had to take it off after a mile. I wasn't planning on running 10 miles but I was enjoying myself. I'd have happily done more but I could feel my legs were still quite tired from Sunday and my achilles was starting to get snarky.
    Another dentist appointment this afternoon, this time to do the fillings. Really not looking forward to that.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Seem to be feeling a bit beaten up at the minute,maybe last week took more out of me than I thought.Got a sore throat now,feel drained so glad I'm off today,got my health mot at the docs later.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, I didn't see what happened, but just had a look.  I think what it is is that the new press officer is eager and scours Facebook looking for information for the reports, but in that case got the info incorrect when he put it in the report.  I'll have a further chat with him and remind him that he shouldn't waste time looking for info on Facebook.  I honestly don't think he meant any harm - he's a nice chap.
  • Options

Iain, one of my club mates Julia is doing the remembrance run at the weekend, she's doing it as her 100th.  Thought it was a bit bizarre stopping for 2 mins mid race, personally think it'll be better starting the race at 2 mins after 11?

Jelly, unfortunately some people have no common sense or decency when it comes to rubbish.  I know some races dq people but trying to find someone and then to prove it becomes hard.

Keith I did 2 laps of Furzton as a recovery run after MK last year, not sure if I could to a marathon there!

Shades, I know a few who stopped shortly after the 100 and they crammed in as many runs as possible and weren't enjoying it.  I'd rather do a smaller amount that actually hate them and becoming a chore.  Cheque book has arrived!!!!

Ian hope it's just that time of year feeling and you'll be back on it again, no probs with a bit of down time to recharge the batteries

Big G hope that cramp is just a one off, recently I got it a couple of times just sitting on the sofa no reason for it, but not had it for a few weeks.

Also as a training exercise at the half I tried drinking out of plastic cups on sunday for the 1st time in years, didn't go that well, need a bit more practice.

Both myself of OH are back on track for sensible eating after a bit of down time,  I've even done my strengthening exercises 2 days on the bounce!  No plans to run for than 2-3 times a week max 5 miles for a few weeks while I try and get myself fixed.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - yes, Davey at Plym Trail asks the runners to pick up any race litter that we see as he knows that keeping the route litter free is crucial for the future of his races.

Runners are different re how long they're going to take to consume a drink, I don't really want to stop but I don't want more than 100/200 metres to any bin either.  I certainly wouldn't want to carry a drink for more than a couple of minutes.

Good to know you've relieved Big g of that race entry, I expect the thought of another one of those burgers was a big decider ;) 

You've done the G2E a few times now haven't you?

Big G - we run our races because that's what we like to do, so setting your own goals and targets is definitely the right thing to do.

Hope the calf is OK, maybe it was a fleeting cramp?   

Cal - if you'd seen what was on the 100MC FB a couple of years ago you'd have been shocked.  Bullying, abuse etc, it was disgusting and part of the reason I left the 100MC.   I still see similar comments that it's still going on in some places.  I hate FB and I deliberately unfriend some folk when I can, sometimes I've accepted friend requests when I'm not sure if I know them, but if they start posting stuff I don't like or I realise that I don't know them I unfriend them.   I don't have my birthday on FB and one of my muppet friends posted on my page on FB when it was my actual birthday, I ripped her head off for doing that and deleted the post, thankfully I saw it quite quickly.  

Ian - hope your MOT goes well at the docs, pity you're not feeling 100% but that shouldn't make any difference.  I've just had my 5 year MOT at the docs too.

Robert - at DD and such like the Cornish, there have been discarded bottles which were personalised drinks so they have the runner's race number on it so easy to disqualify them.

Great news on the cheque book, have you got a first class stamp? ;) 

Pilates was good, the instructor said she was being kind to us, was still quite tough but I managed OK and has definitely helped my DOMS, legs and glutes felt quite fresh walking home. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - best to keep practising with the drinking from cups, that seems to be the way things are going.  In Frankfurt they had cups but the paper/cardboard ones which are much easier to use than the plastic as they flex quite easily.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It’s been a little while, but my 100 parkrun shirt turned up today. It’s quite nice actually - a better material than my old 50 shirt which kind of clings to my body when I sweat. 

Cal, you got to 50 at around the same time as I did my 100. Have you got your shirt yet?
  • Options
    Hi All

Thought i would drop in and say hello  :) 
    Hope everyone is well, I'll admit I haven't caught up on the hundreds of new posts since i was last on here. But good to see many familiar names keeping the Shades thread alive.

I have had a busy few months moving house and starting a new job. Life is slowly returning to a normal pace which is very welcomed.

I've kept my running ticking over, nothing major but just making sure I get the odd 4/6 miles in at least once a week. Unfortunately I've missed many of the races I usual do this time of year inc Great South Run, Stevenage Half and Gosport Half. Kind of lost my mojo a bit, didn't help that my running buddy moved out to China  :(

But I have now signed up to the Portsmouth Coastal half in Feb, so this will give me something to re-focus on.
    Out of interest, Shades do you have any half plans? Not sure if you remember but I have a handful of half's all at 1:45. Different events, different times of year yet all finishing within that same 45min window! Only a few seconds separating each event. Therefore I am keen to train well and get myself down to at least 1:40.

Other than that I need to get marathon planning for next year. I didn't get a London ballot entry and I have refused to run Brighton again. Manchester is looking like my likely choice along with the south downs marathon in June. I am even tempted to sign up for one of the double "Race To" series. We'll see.

Anyway time to get training again, re-find my love for running and shift these extra pounds!

• Options
    Shades - I’m not sure what they will be testing but there is a test before and after every session and on race day too. I think I will get the results as part of the “sales pitch” was that I they could find out how well you do or don’t recover, they could help you improve for future events.

Robert - the 2 min race pause is odd but it works well.. if you were busy doing something else, most of us would pause 2 min anyway so why not during a race.. the time is removed at the end if you want..
  • Options
    Hi OTB!

Big G - no, I ordered my shirt in July and it's still not here. I'm up to 60 now - at this rate I'll be closing in on 100 before I get the shirt!
  • Options
    Shades - Not looked on line to see what food caldecott does, FOxy says its better food but pricier than Furzton. Yes completed G2E 2 before and its as about as easy as you can get to have a qualifier for a 100 mile race if i go with the thames path 100 people. Traviss i dont think has a qualifer requirement for his. Difference is th TP100 is point to point whilst Traviss's are 3 mile or so laps
  • Options

Shades I still got a stamp from my Ware Joggers membership form! The cheque book will come in handy again when I need to pay for club fees and UKA next year save getting the correct change.  Will keep on practicing with cups!

OTB just did the Stevenage half... it hasn't changed except the medals are slightly better than when I did it last 5 years ago.  Well organized and is under 10 miles away for me. Hope you rekindle with your love for running sure the lbs will fall off.

Big G/ Cal our local RD kids did their 25th Volunteer stint in Feb... still no shirt.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, I didn't take a pic, but I can vouch for the burgers at Caldecotte ;)   Caldecotte also has an advantage as the parking is free there, whereas I believe it's chargeable at Furzton?
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    If it had been a shorter race I would of pick some of the rubbish up if I wasn’t chasing time but don’t think my legs would of coped with bending down, 
    Big G, I like the chap who does report but annoyed me he was quick to blame me and then not to say sorry publicly or via PM isn’t good. I’ve not  really been  reading the reports lately, I used to look forward to reading your report as you got to know how club members found the race any personal achievements, find them a little cut and paste off website and list of times,  I still look forward to Club Mag and make a nice cuppa before I start reading. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - seems ages since you did your 100th parkrun, glad the shirt was worth the wait.

OTB - lovely to have you back on here.   You have been busy, new house, new job.

I don't have a half plan that would suit you.   If you're planning to do a marathon in the Spring I would suggest that you start your marathon training a little earlier and once you've built up the mileage a bit and you're starting to feel that your race fitness is coming back introduce an interval session once a week.   This should have you ready to do a half PB, from what I remember you did a very good time on the Portsmouth Coastal race which is partly off road so that 1:40 is well within your capabilities.  After that you can pick up where you left off on the marathon plan ready for Manchester or whichever Spring marathon you've chosen.

Keith - I know you have unfinished business at TP100, is that maybe your target for 2020.  G2E is a good way to get a qualifier and also get you back into the ultra distances.

I'm sure you'd be able to find suitable food whichever lake you're at in MK, surely you could drive to Furzton if necessary. ;) 

Robert - good news on the stamp.   Cheque books are useful, although I only write 2 or 3 cheques a year now.

Jelly - same for me, as I'm running a marathon I can't keep stopping and bending down to pick up gel wrappers.

I went onto the Trotters website and read the report.  I don't know which part was supposed to be wrong but he's written it badly, for one runner he put new course PB record  , that phrasing is incorrect as he makes it sound like the runner broke the course record.  He should have put for xxx was a course best.  And for some reason a lot of runners don't have their times listed, not sure why that is, the results were out early.  

Big G - I don't know if you looked at the Cornish results, the race was run by a guy running for Cardiff AC, he won in 2:35, cracking time for that course and nearly 10 mins ahead of the 2nd placed runner

Rest day for me today, I'm having an easy week anyway 
    :)
  • Options
    Another restless night so I ended up going out for my run at 5.30am in the dark, despite the fact it was pissing down (and quite windy, which I didn't realise until I got out there). Warm enough for shorts but wore my jacket, not that it actually keeps me dry in any capacity whatsoever.
    I did 12 miles, but it was a very slow run - I averaged 10:50s which is a lot slower than I've been running of late. Part of it is that my brain doesn't seem to be able to cope with light reflecting off wet pavements and puddles in the dark and my downhill wibbles were especially bad, with me having to slow right down on even fairly mild descents.
    It started getting light after 1 hr 20 minutes (I checked my watch) so I was expecting the second half of my run to be faster, but it actually wasn't particularly. I guess I'm probably still quite tired from Sunday and the conditions didn't really help. Oh well, 12 miles in the bank.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a good decent mid week run.   Not easy running in the dark and/or wet, I've turned my ankle a few times on uneven road surface through puddles, so your brain is just being cautious.

• Options
    BG - Only Willen charges for parking, Furzton is also free and more or less quieter as its further from the A5. I'll worry about where i am staying nearer the time it is tempting to use Caldecott this time and i have ample time to recover with the 8;30 start from eating a mega burger meal ;) Have looked at the menu online but got sidetracked by the gin section
  • Options
    Hi Cal & Rob and thanks Shades for the half training advise.

I'm very much looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Big_G I've just seen your times in the above post. Two sub 4's back to back! impressive stuff. I'll look back for your race report.

Ian5 setting two PB's one the bounce!

I need to up my game :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, there wasn't much of a race report as both events were around what is affectionately called TBL (That Bloody Lake)!  In summary, Day 1 was comfortable and I finished strong, whereas for Day 2 the last 6-miles or so were more of a slog but I was happy overall :)  

Keith, ah, I hadn't realised that about the parking.  I haven't actually ran at Furtzton; I've only ran Willen once (my first ever Sub-4!!) and the rest it's been Caldecotte for me.  When I did the main MK Marathon I stayed at Caldecotte too as the start/finish were about 1-mile away and again the parking was free.  I hadn't realised what G2E was but presumed Glasgow to Edinburgh and just looked it up.  It looks good.

I was feeling a bit better today (cramp and hip niggle pretty much gone), so been out for a run (4-miles) and managed to avoid the rain.  It's the first run since Sunday and it went okay.
  • Options
    Boo its having a yar off it seems, next G2E is 2020 oh well i shall ponder other plans when i am more awake over the weekend. IIRC Traviss has a 100 mile one in March so i could ponder that if it has places.
    BG - Yes G2E is good, its mostly flat with a hefty climb at Falkrik wheel when you switch canals. Far less rough track than whe i first did it as slowly they are tarmaccing the towpath.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - the marathon runners have been doing really well while you were away from the thread.  But you know that there are quite a few PB's ahead for you too.

Big G - good to hear the hip and calf are both OK

Are you contemplating G2E, stepping up to a longer ultra? ;) 

Keith - hope that the G2E does come back in 2020, some events take a year out and never come back.  But you could do a 12 hour event to use as a qualifier for TP100 couldn't you?

I'm not keen on towpaths but might be tempted if becomes just about all tarmac.

6 miles for me today, first couple of miles into a really strong relentless headwind, that eased a bit when I got to Big G's village then heavy rain showers.  Not too bad at first but then it really chucked it down.  I was running along the pavement, the houses on my right have high walls with trees/bushes and suddenly I saw 2 pairs of eyes staring at me and it was woman and her dog sheltering under a bush from the rain :o   Soaked by the time I got home and wet feet again but at least the water today was clean.  Sky was a really strange pink/red colour when I got home, 'red sky in morning, shepherd's warning' so I guess we're in for a bit of bad weather.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Shades no I have no plans for longer distances really.  If I do a 6hr event I may try and get closer to 37-38 miles (I did 33 miles last time, whilst nursing an injury, and did the DD in 6:06 so probably 37-38 would be possible on a flatter course), but other than that no real plans for longer stuff.  I hadn't actually heard of G2E and just presumed it was Glasgow to Edinburgh so looked it up.  I have been researching Two Oceans (56K) but it won't be next year, if at all.  I do really like the look of that one and obviously that would be part of a longer holiday and it is a country I'd like to visit anyway, but it's dependent on funds.  OH wants to go so that may be the driving factor, as we'd plan it around the race hopefully.
  • Options

Big G - Comrades is the big one on my list would only be interested in an up year comrades most likely to be 2023 for me. Two oceans would be easier to sell to the OH and the weather would be better than June.

Shades/ Keith just to confirm 50 miles over a 12 hour race or 75 miles over 24 hours qualifies for TP100. Know of a few races that have had the year off and then never came back unfortunately in some cases, but in others pure celebration (Luton Marathon being one of them) 

Woke a bit later than planned, left glute (one that isn't injured/as weak) felt awkward this morning but probably due to I'm not used to doing so much s&c.  Decided to rest today however may go for a slow 3-5 miles this evening. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I think if I ever did Comrades it'd be better to do go with other runners, as I know it would knock me about and then I'd not be too good for a couple of days after the event for sightseeing etc.  Whereas Two Oceans is just "a bit" over a marathon so, hopefully, wouldn't knock me about so much so the other sightseeing etc would still be doable, and Table Mountain is very nearby.  There are absolutely no firm plans for this at the moment, but I've a friend over there who I could meet so it is a possibility....but it's not in any way confirmed.  The route map looks fantastic though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there was a stand and rep from Two Oceans at Frankfurt Expo with some lovely glossy literature on the race, I spoke to the guy to ask if he had the literature in English but he only had it in German, I had intended to pass it onto you.  Photos were amazing.   Would be a lovely trip for you and OH, when budget permits.   35 miles is a nice distance too.

Robert - Comrades not on my list as I'd need to be more comfortable re the cut offs, but I've always been tempted by Two Oceans.  But I don't want to spend that sort of money just for one race.

The other fairly expensive trip that I've always been tempted by is the Big Sur marathon in California.   

I've not seen burnt out Ford Fiestas or drug dealing during a race since Luton marathon finished. ;) 

Good Pilates class today :) all post Cornish aches well and truly gone.