Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Well done Becca.  Sounds like an interesting event. 

I did maraton #103 on Sunday.  SVNs Mega Challenge in Northampton.  I've been lacking in motivation all this year and needed something to kick-start my Comrades training.  My aim was to run steady for 16 mile (3 out of 5 laps) and then just make it to the end.  I did a solid 9:30 minute mile pace for the first 16 so was delighted.  I then ran/walked home in 4:44:05 but it feels like I'm back.  SVN Viking next month which I can use as my qualifying time.  Hopefully sub 4:30.
  • Options
    I did a hilly 10 mile race on saturday in the Elan Valley and a hilly cross country race on Sunday so my quads this week have refused to be my friend.. Todays 9 mile run home was a slow affair  :)

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good TCP.  Fingers crossed you get some decent weather for your qualifier.

Sounds brutal seren.

I've now booked my flights as I was persuaded by the Emirates sale.  I looked at the direct BA flights too but being able to fly from Birmingham with Emirates is a big plus.  I've gone for my usual Thursday arrival and Tuesday departure.
  • Options
    Nice one TCP. Think i may see you an event or two next year....

Well done for booking flights becca. I'm going to wait until new year.

And lowrez, do i remember correctly you ran the Cadbury marathon hobart last year? I am looking to do it in january and wondered what the course / city was like. Clearly i like the fact that chocolate will be involved...

Off out to brave the cold weather in a bit, expect it will make me run quicker.....
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    In typical Grandpa Simpson style I shall steal a slice of your life you can never get back with a rambling slice of facebookery I made shortly after my run hanging out here Marty - I discovered a facebook thing called a "note" - format is text and pictures - perfect for my story telling! If it doesn't answer your questions ask again :)
  • Options
    That is a brilliant read lowrez. I reckon you need to put these musings into a book :) Thanks
  • Options
    Bike It: 14 days for 515km - that's awful! Good luck for it being accepted properly. [Sorry, this has been sitting as a draft for ages!]

Good training seren nos - hills are good for you (eventually).

TCP: sounds like good running at the Mega Challenge. I may see you at the Viking.

Completed the first three days of the 10-in-10 so far, with 50K per day. This year we have the first 3 at Samphire Hoe. The next three will be at Pegwell Bay and the last four at Betteshanger (trail route, not the tarmac cycle path). I am definitely look forward to getting away from the sea wall concrete and the strong wind - hoping Pegwell Bay will be a bit more sheltered. At least we've not had much rail.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good Debra.  Pegwell Bay is a nicely varied course and I hope the weather will be kind.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Blimey Debra! You are doing TEN 31 mile runs in TEN days??? Incredible!

Marty, there were a few Comrades who had travelled out to Tasmania too, including the grizzled and bearded Oz international ambassador (whose name I forget) I'm not absolutely certain but I reckon this event is slightly special down under with Cadbury keen to bring in a few celebs despite the low 300 field. The course is relatively flat despite that undulating looking profile, I'd call the climbs "niggly" rather than anything serious, challenging enough for a podgy miscreant like me (as I was at that time) but I would expect you to glide over them effortlessly. It was pointed out to me after I subsequently smacked 4:37 in Manchester later in the year that pushing my body through a ridiculous combination of flight fatigue and time zone disruption was a daft thing to do for someone where 5 hours was a big challenge anyway. I absolutely loved the trip and the run, its well worth the effort to get to in my opinion. Weird thing about the medal and vest that year (and I have not seen other years); no mention of Tasmania in words - just Cadbury and the outline of the island.

• Options
    Agree lowrez, debra is incredible doing that. See you at the weekend for the final two at Betteshanger debra. Stay strong.

And thanks for the extra info on the course, have just signed up for it and fingers crossed can keep with the 3.30 pacer. That's plan a anyway ;) Have signed up to the pasta party thing as well so will see if i recognise any of the faces!!!!
  • Options
    Hello All, I loved reading about the Hobart marathon and everyone's recent running seems incredible, especially the 10 in 10 which sounds an amazing challenge, I hope its continuing to go well. After getting a qualifier back in October I decided to have November off and rest, so all I've done this month is 3 gentle parkruns, rest doesn't seem to make my achilles any better or worse.....so I think i'll just ignore it, draw up a training plan and start running again in December. Have now booked my flights VA/BA arriving in Durban on the Friday and leaving on the Monday, so feeling motivated :-)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Great to hear from you McH :) Never hurts to recuperate and take a little time off - unless you stub your toe again like I did a couple of days ago - twice now this year - I must put something proper on my feet - just as I was about to get some good miles in I am resting again - how can the simple movement of a foot during walking cause such devastating pain if you swing it into a non-moveable object?

In other news I made page 22 of the company sustainability report; as well as my late-in-the day finish shot there is a comment from World Vision lower on the page and the "Ellesemere Port employee" yaking in blue below that is me. Hopefully I can do similar for Community Chest this year.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    For those considering Boston Lincs its suddenly got scarier - what is the top speed of a boa constrictor - am I at risk of being captured and swallowed whole at 4:50 pace? 
  • Options

Berlin Marathon! Wow, what a surprise! This will be a slow one on my 10-15 miles/week training :) Hope they don't mind jog/walkers! Good for visiting a city I've not been to before!😅.

CONGRATULATIONS: You made it!

RegistrationID: SC:TBB4

Dear Terence Cross,

We are happy to share the good news with you that your name was drawn for a race entry in the BMW BERLIN MARATHON 2019!

Your registration is subject to the final reception of your payment.

What this means for you: 
    1. You can start looking forward to September 29, 2019!

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wonderful news Terry - and in the qualification window for Comrades 2020!
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Terry, Berlin is a nice city to visit and this is a super race.

I hope Debra is still going well with the 31 miles per day.

If anyone is looking for a 40 miler on 30 March as a training run this on in Llanelli would be a good one.  It's all on tarmac and has a nice long hill to run up and then down, so it's a good Comrades training run.  
    https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=5020

https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2330931748
  • Options
    Nice one Terry :)
  • Options
    Wow Terry. Congratulations. Where are you with all your heart stuff. Will you be able to train. But as you say, if not, you'll be able to run/walk.

Debra - good luck for the final 2 this weekend and Marty too.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    SS, sadly the heart problem remains until eventual surgery after the aneurysm reaches the internationally defined threshold. The really frustrating thing is that I remain in limbo until then with no way of knowing the time-frame. Maybe a year or two? In the meantime, surveillance and regular echo-cardiograms etc. following a repeat MRI last month. For the time being my cardiologist encourages me to keep fit/training but at a very reduced level and while limiting heart rate below 140 bpm. (I've become a dedicated HR monitor user and now run only to heart rate).  As Berlin time approaches I'll double my present 10 miles per week to build a bit more endurance to make their 6:15 cutoff!  So, I look forward to doing it very slowly, unless my cardiologist intervenes. A good semi-walking tour of Berlin - I've never yet been there!

Debra, you're a machine with all these multi marathons! Debra and Marty, have a good weekend.

Lowrez, I enjoyed your suggestion about Berlin as a qualifier for 2020. Ah well, I do find it nice to dream!  :) .  I hope you'll be keeping your toes out of trouble by now!
  • Options
    Mc Hilly, good luck with the training.

Terry, that's great news regarding Berlin - hope you enjoy it. Sympathies for the ongoing heart/aneurysm stuff.

8/10 done. Tired and slow today after pushing against the wind yesterday. Strong winds AND rain forecast for tomorrow. Think I will try Injinji liner socks, waterproof running socks and shoes a half size up to cope with the socks - then I can simply run through the puddles without worrying about getting macerated feet. I'll take the Injinji trail socks and smaller pair of shoes with in case the dry option doesn't work out - but I hope it does as that should be easier than sliding in the mud around the puddles. 

Marty, see you at Betteshanger. remember to pay for parking (£3) on the way out!
  • Options
    Day 9 completed with horrible wind, rain and mud. Hopefully better weather tomorrow (although the mud will be the same!). Nice to see Marty there and we ran together a little bit before he forged ahead. My legs are tired. I am finding it significantly harder running 50K a day than it was running the 10-in-10 marathons last year.
  • Options
    Debra - well done. Good luck on the last one. You're running further each day than last year. Weather's been pretty awful too. As Terry says, you're a machine. 
  • Options
    As a matter of interest how easy/difficult! is it to get going again? I'm vaguely thinking of doing a marathon a month next year and wondered how I'd get on doing say jan 31st and feb1st or would I be better having 1 or 2 days in-between? I don't have a single race booked as I can't get myself to commit to anything at the moment and I'd like them all to be nearby which is the main problem. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I would have run 2 in 2 days a few years back Snaily, but I was deemed a bad person by Mrs 1owrez and so dared not attempt it... I suppose them being on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day might have been something to do with that :# also taking 5h40m or so to do the first meaning my return on NYE was somewhat later than expected may have been a contributing factor too :s I think pace is the key; not only in keeping Mrs 1owrez happy but in self preservation; I was disappointingly gagging to run another the following day as I skulked around the house with nothing to do other than be stared at pointedly :p if I had retuned the following day I would have an identical but gold medal to match the above :)
  • Options
    Day 10 done! I have now earned the right to wear a "10 50K ultras in 10 days" running top. Nice to see Marty yesterday and today.

Southern Snail, if you can run Comrades you can run back-to-back marathons. Just make sure to refuel and rest properly in between, and expect your legs to feel a little stiff as you start day 2 - they should warm up. Where are you based? I can't remember
  • Options
    Debra - great to see you and run with you a bot on both days. Well done for a superb achievement. Rest well, recover and enjoy wearing that shirt on the next one :)
  • Options
    Great work Debra. Congratulations.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

We need pictures of bling Debra! Are there 10 more medals in your collection? Well done.

Terry, the Berlin finish goes through the Brandenburg Gate - you should get some impressive photos! I put in a 10 miler on Saturday leaping up from 7 the weekend before - scary that I run a marathon in 5 weeks - will have to add 2 or 3 miles per weekend onto that and treat the marathon as an extended training run - not sure I will be able to crack 4:50 but got plenty of time to get the engines fully up to speed. The last mile or so of that training run has a nice long ultra steep hill in it and my toe did start complaining on that; I was worried I had not given it enough time to recover, but I made it back OK without major pain. It has been sore since but not worryingly so. I go to Manchester today to apply for my Chinese visa (and see Still Corners in concert) the photo requirements are weird compared to what you can force out of a photo booth, even with visa options these days - I have taken two sets in two different formats neither of which absolutely conform to the required format; hoping they squeeze in under the wire otherwise I will have to apply again.

Sorry about the frustrating time you are having with your running; great to see you taking a track that will allow you to improve quickly after the required surgery.

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Debra, well done on the 10x50!  Surely you need some rest after those? Are you planning a house extension for a special 'bling room' ? :) 

Lowrez, good to hear that your toe seems to be recovering slowly.  I hope your photos 'qualify' for the visa.  I presume that, at least, that you are not required to complete the forms in mandarin.#
    请准确填写此申请表
    Qǐng zhǔnquè tiánxiě cǐ shēnqǐng biǎo
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Photo was accepted OK, but my application wasn't Terry! They classified running a marathon as "Business" so my attempt to run on a tourist visa was rejected! I now need a letter from the marathon organising committee inviting me to run! So I better go e-mail them!