Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    A real target pace from Joe spotted on Strava  ;)
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone at Wokingham...Looks like it'll be PB's for a load of you!!
    AWC - Sorry to hear your news.
    Muddy - Continue to recover well.
    5 miles yesterday, but stuck to the bike today (22.5 miles in 90 minutes), may stick to the bike this weekend too until this cold has shifted.
  • Options
    Good to see you drop in Muddy, glad that things are improving. 

Nice reps George. 

Took inspiration from others and did the classic 2 @ HMP sharpener. Surprised to see the miles come out at 5:41 and 5:43. If I'm honest, I think the effort was a touch too hard and I think 13 of those would be a struggle, but the HR was in the right zone, so maybe I won't be too far off..

PB pace for me is 5:50mm. Won't go out like a loon this year and run the first mile in 5:35 (he says..)
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Joe - Was that in the new shoes? Sub 75 it is then. My prediction is looking a bit soft.

Muddy - Good to have you pop in. Hope your recovery continues.

SQ - A day of gardening is worse than 7 at LT.

Good MLRs Jools, FBT, TR and nice reps george.

Got out for the Wednesday double last night, just 8x 2min on / 1min float. Nothing spectacular, but still decent at the end of a 23 mile day. Something short and easy today. Hopefully squeeze in a LR tomorrow, then weekend in the Cotswolds for my wife's birthday. I'll pack the kit but not concerned if I don't get out for a run. 
  • Options
    Muddy - your fall sounds worse than I appreciated, I hope the recovery continues swiftly. No rugby for a while yet.

HA - solid midweek mileage, enjoy the break.

Joe & Jools - sandbags etc 😂

I got out for my 2@hmp yesterday and ran the pace to see what it felt like.  Just as I had convinced myself in the warm up, it felt very tough, self fulfilling prophecy perhaps.  3 days to get the race face on🐁.

Well done on yours Joe & SQ.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice mlrs jools and george.

HA - that a good days work for sure.

The Wokingham tuning up is a good read.

10 inc 5 av 6.50 today, couldn't have gone any faster or further, so a good piece of hard work. Easy day tomorrow after 4 double digit days in a row inc tuesdays 3min reps.
  • Options

Macca, I agree with the others - there’s no way I could run 7 miles at HMP on my own in the middle of heavy training. You should be targeting way faster than 82 on Sunday!

Hope you feel better for Sunday SQ

Sorry for your loss AWC

Good to hear you’re healing muddy.

Great running from everyone else.

So I went to see a physio yesterday. Went to a different one than last time, who seemed much better - spent much longer physically diagnosing the issue, and asked far more running-specific questions. Anyway, basically my left glute wasn’t firing at all, and he thinks that has then caused the top of my ITB to get aggravated. We worked through some glute activation exercises and he then spent quite a while working on my glute, hamstring and ITB. He even did some ultrasound.

Unfortunately though there’s no quick fix, and he advised I take at least the rest of the week off to give things a chance to settle down. So Wokingham is a DNS, which I’m gutted about. I was really looking forward to it, particularly as so many of us look to be running similar times, and with the forecast so good. And just as things were started to click for me fitness wise. 

I’m feeling pretty dejected but trying to see the positives, it’s not the worst injury in the world and if I’m sensible I hopefully won’t need too much time out, and won’t lose too much fitness. Still have Bath Half in three weeks, so I suppose being healthy for that needs to be my target now.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Ah Spoons thats a right bummer.You've done the right thing though and seen the physio. At least you know the cause and glute/ITB problems are fairly easily resolved with strength and conditioning work for most people. All the best with the recovery.
    TR: sounds like a tough enough midweek session that at a good pace
    HA: 23 mile midweek is impressive. Enjoy the Cotswolds - love it up there. Very beautiful and the weather looks decent too.
    Nice HMP sharpeners Macca/Joe - looking good for the weekend hopefully!
    10 mile commute into work today. Legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday's 5/7.5mi double. The 7.5mi home for work was tough enough last night but today felt really good.
    Easy couple of days coming up and then a 24mi LR on Sunday along the Test Way which is where my 50mi race is in April.
  • Options
    HA - MLR and then a fartlek session, big day
    SQ - All this talk of gardening, I’ve been avoiding looking at mine as I know I’ve got a load I need to do
    Joe - still sandbagging I see!
    Muddy - hope you’re back to 100% soon
    George - Nice 4 x 2k session, you’ve definitely got the speed needed I think for your target
    TR - Well done on the 12
    Jools - Nice 12. Keep it sensible for the rest of the week (including parkrun) as I’m hoping some of the predictions for you are correct and you’ll drag me along as well!
    AWC - Good work backing up the double with a 10 mile commute. Good luck for the 24 on Sunday.

15 miles yesterday at 7:48s, but my legs were feeling pretty tired. I’ve been on early morning work calls with Hong Kong the past couple of days and not getting enough sleep as I’m a night owl, so to be expected. Because of this I’ve decided to get rid of the 2nd MLR, it was a replacement for 13 miles on Saturday with the tune up race anyway. I’ll keep the miles but split the run tomorrow I think.

The plan has a 7 mile recovery run with some strides, when do people think the best time to do this is? Would Saturday be a good time to sharpen up the legs before Wokingham? Or would I need a little bit more rest than that?
  • Options
    HPR I’ve done strides the day before many times and it’s worked well. That said I’ve got mine planned tomorrow as per the taper - just to try it out really. 

23 with quality is a great midweek day, HA, especially with a long run planned tomorrow. Gardening is definitely cross training. Quite enjoy it really - the heavy side of it anyway. Can’t be doing with weeding. 

Sorry to hear that Spoons. Such unfortunate timing. Jason Fitzgerald does some great itb rehab routines online. Sure you’ll come back soon and stronger. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Spoons, sorry to hear about the glute. I’ll second the Jason Fitzgerald ITB routine. I also did some 1 legged step ups and dips to help build my week one up. Let me know if you need any more info.

didnt have time for the planned 14 last night due to sorting out the car so did a 4 - 10 double instead. Legs still feeling Tuesdays 5x1000 track session. Gave the Zoom flys a test on the track and they definitely felt fast but lacking a little grip. Not sure I’ll risk them on Sunday as felt a few different lower leg aches afterwards so probably need a little more getting used to.

looks like some great MLRs going on all round.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    x3 for JAson Fitzgerald ITB stuff. Totally did away with my problems a few years ago
  • Options
    Spoons - gutted to hear the news mate, really crap. Think about the bigger matches to come though, you've got yourself in fantastic shape and that won't be lost with an easier week or two - will just leave you fresh to attack the rest of the build.

HA - huge day, nice work. You're heading to Stow right?

HPR - I'm a big fan of a bit of quality on the Sat to get the legs firing. I'm off to parkrun with my mum, will most likely run as a progressive and get the heart beating a bit without pushing too hard.
  • Options
    Really sorry to read you’ve pulled out of Woky Spoons but you’ve made such gains the last week or two that consolidating them with hopefully a short break will pay back.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Spoons -  shame you can't race Sunday, but good that you have a diagnosis and a rehab plan, as well as Bath as a replacement.

AWC - hope the 24m goes well, should be a nice weekend for it.

HydeP - i often do 5 mins of 30sec/30 sec in a short run the day before a race, and the friday too.
  • Options
    Good news/bad news spoons.   Obviously massively disappointing but really good to have got to the bottom of it, and to know that you nipped it in the bud.

Muddy... I'd missed that fall.  Take care.

It was like summer at lunchtime.  I did my own version of the LT - what I call my 157bpm run - After a short warm up, it's either 6 or 7 miles at 89%HRmax - and just see what pace comes out - and I record the average of the five miles from miles 2-6.  It's improved from just 8:01 six weeks ago to today's 7:25.  I'd hoped to be a few seconds better but this is actually almost identical to where I was at the same stage last year.  I probably need to get it down by about 15-20s in the next 5 or 6 weeks.    
  • Options
    Great progress NE.
    You’re certainly strengthening the legs TR if you can manage 5@MP on your 4th consecutive MLR.
    Big day from HA and some promising HMP efforts from my fellow Wokies.
    Really sorry to hear you’ve had to pull out Spoons. Hope you get the returns at Bath.
    Another zero for me yesterday as I was moving home. Lots of cross-training though with all the carrying up & down stairs. Not sure how many to do today now. Was planning 5 but that was with 8 yesterday. Obviously doing 13 is not going to do Sunday’s race any favours so probably just do 7 with strides.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    That's a real bugger spoon. Hope you get on top of it quickly. Good that you found what seems like a decent physio too. Your last 4 weeks has been big and some rest will help you absorb that training. I think you might lose a bit of sharpness but that will come back quickly.

HPR - My standard Saturday pre-big race is an easy 3 miles with strides, just enough to warm up, get the legs moving, then warm down. I think 7 miles is too much on Saturday if you really want to be fresh on Sunday. 

Nice LT NE.

Millsy - good MLR replacement. Hope the car is sorted.

Jools - well done on the rest day. 

Got out for 18 miles this morning. Legs certainly felt tired but the pace was decent, averaging 6:42/mile without pushing. I'll enjoy a couple of rest days now, focus on recovery and getting points in the bank with the SPO. 

Good luck to everyone racing on Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing those results.
  • Options
    Morning everyone. 

I like that really tangible prgress, NE. Nice way to track things. 

Don’t discount what the house move will have taken out of you, Jools. Good idea to take it easy today, as you say. 

Another super long run banked, HA. 

5M with drills and strides on the artificial rugby pitch. Still a bit of a cough and quads sore from carrying the aggregate around yesterday. Sure a couple of easy days will sort them out. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    HA, that’s a beast of a midweek run.

My car is all sorted now. Was dreading driving to Wokingham and back in the tiny courtesy car. Even at 5’6’’ I felt like there wasn’t enough room for me inside.
    Everyone at our club seems to be coming down with a cold. Hopefully I’ve been lucky to avoid it. If not I’ll still do Wokingham but at a reduced pace.
  • Options
    Spoons that's sh#t - Sorry to hear it , but ITB can get nasty so take it easy...
  • Options
    Spoons-Sorry to hear about your DNS for Sunday but sounds like you've caught it and dealt with it early enough. I'm sure the rest and rehab will pay dividends

Jools-Hope the house move went well. Excellent cross training excuse!

Millsy-Hope the cold clears sufficiently for Sunday

NE-Good fitness check and sounds like your moving in the same direction. Sounds like a Maffetone style session if I'm not mistaken?

HPR-My pre-race day generally consists of a 3 mile easy with strides. I'll generally do a parkrun if I can and the parkrun vibe in a city the day before a big race if often excellent

HA-Another great long run

SQ-Hope the cough/cold clears up in time

Yesterday was tempo/MLR combined day for me and a session I have come to love over the last month or so. It's 13 miles with 2x 3 miles at HMP. HMP pace was 4:05/km average and at 162 average HR. At the risk of jinxing things, I've never felt fitter and ready for Bath in a few weeks time
  • Options
    To be clear about my LT run... it's usually minimum 1.5m warm up (strides used to get HR moving)... then the first LT mile is run to a target pace rather than HR - at the end of which my HR is usually there or thereabouts on 157.  

Nice cross training Jooligan! And good luck in your new home.  Same town/village? 
    I'm expecting a similar "cross-training" weekend. I've hired a mini-digger to try to regain control of the garden (brambles, ivy and weeds have seriously taken hold, awkward little tree stumps and a big hollow in the lawn are just too much to deal with with a spade.) Will dig a small pond too.  Not used one before, so hopefully won't demolish my house or dig up the mains. Bound to be a very active weekend but will have to find a way to get to the 40m mark for the week.  Hoping to be on 27 by this evening.

Good luck avoiding the lurgy Millsy - and good luck to you and all the Wokey gang.

Impressed to see the word "drills" appearing on our thread SQ. Something I've rarely seen.  I do something maybe once every 3 months... and even then pretty half-heartedly.  Probably pointless unless you do them with some sort of frequency.

18 midweek HA... at a pace that I can just about achieve for a fast flat Park Run.  Good effort.

Interesting comment about sharpening the legs the day before a big race Joe.  Before a full marathon, I have a tendency to run very little for the whole last week.  Not always intentionally... but it just seems to happen.  Maybe I could experiment with a sharper little run the day before next Sunday's Newport Half.

• Options

North Enders House after the weekend

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools - take it easy after your house move, save some energy for sunday.

HA - nice one on the 18.

George - good for you. Never have felt fitter is a good place to be. Could be just the right time to have an easy week now.

Easy 5m for me today, to rest the legs ready for a long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Re the drills, NE, I do the, mostly to ensure I’m adequately warmed up for the strides. Do them before races as well. Something different which is always good. 

Nice work on the MLR tempo George. I enjoyed to combining both with BAC sessions. What’s the Bath target?

Tewkesbury parkrun this morning. Glorious in the sun being overlooked by the abbey. Nice and easy 4M in total. Probably could have snatched first place but wanted to keep my powder dry for tomorrow. 

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Hope to catch up with you. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on that rehab routine. I’ve already been doing a lot of those as part of my S&C routine, but will add in the others and try to do them more regularly. 

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck for tomorrow - forecast looks amazing so hope you all smash it out there. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hello everyone. Only glimpsed at this page and everyone appears to be going well, the exception being Spoons, sorry you have an injury. I am sure with your diligence it will soon be behind you.

I think Joe mentioned I got injured three weeks back and so I've hardly run. Saw a physio yesterday and came to the same conclusion as Dr Google; Post Medial Tedonopathy, possibly due to a rolling of the ankle. It appears to be on the mend, she said I can run Wokingham without too much risk as long as I keep the pain to a 3 out of 10. I live so close I may as well turn up, even if it's just a training run. I can always pull out at 7/8 miles as I am only about a mile from home at that point.

Meanwhile I have a couple of tendon strengthening exercises to do as part of an active recovery. This should mean I can build the mileage back up and maybe be in better shape to run Reading.