Options

VLM 2019

Comments

• Options
    Portlanders...this machine needs a major overhaul if not a complete refit soon. lol.
    Iowrez, can I suggest our club's premier event on 15 December as your long run later this year?
    Dawn To Dusk Sunlight Ultra - start at 8:04 and finish at 15:53 - do as many laps as you can. Eat as much as you can at the feeding station which comes around every 2km - this includes:
    chocolates
    cakes
    jelly babies
    peanuts
    jaffa cakes
    boiled sweets
    crisps
    AND ONION BHAJI & SAMOSAS

Drinks include
    Tea
    Coffee
    various squash
    energy drinks (from the pound shop)
    and even WATER

You get a good bit of bling, T-Shirt, some other edible stuff and a chance to have a selfie with Fauja Singh (who will be 108 in April).

All this for £35

The online registration link is

https://www.evententry.co.uk/sikhs-in-the-city-dawn-to-dusk-sunlight-ultra-marathon-22k-10k 

The record is 48 laps (96.672 km - just over 60 miles in 7 hours 47 minutes} by Nathan Montague - look him up
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    The menu is very tempting HS2 :) I'd prefer to get somewhere though rather than lapping :) it also takes me about 12 hours to do 56 miles so that record won't be under any pressure from me. Let's see, 60 miles could get you from Castle Acre to Sheringham
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone on some fantastic running. 

Harmander, I have had a couple of tries at pacing so fully appreciate the skill involved in sticking so closely to the target times - and of course the even pace throughout. I wish I was local to London and able to join your training 20 miler, but sadly I'm miles away! The story of your dodgy toenail made me giggle on the other thread - I hope it's recovered now.

Portlanders, hope your half goes well. I agree with Prince - I think you're likely to find you achieve a sub 2 pretty easily, even having done the 18 miler the weekend before, unless it's a particularly hideous course. Good luck to both of you on the upcoming longer runs.

1owrez, 130 miles!! That is unfathomable. Congratulations. How long did that take? And was it along the canal? (Lots of my long runs take place along the Leeds-Liverpool canal, so I'm very familiar with a small stretch of it!) I don't have the desire to do an ultra quite yet - but I kind of feel it could be in the pipeline (I know how these things go - I remember 3 years ago when I was only going to do one marathon in my life ever, and here I am somehow training for my fourth). I love the idea of being able to eat All The Food too, and the necessarily more relaxed pace. Thanks also for the interesting advice on not worrying about holding back too much near the beginning of London because of enforced slowdowns later - that does make total sense. 

I had a nice 18 miler last weekend - thinking of a 20 this Saturday - hope the nice sunshine lasts, as I'm thinking of heading to the seafront.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Gipfel, yes the race is LLCR130 along the canal, the official distance is 127 miles, but my Garmin did clock 130 and a bit; on the weekend in question there was a detour in place with one of the locks under maintenance - I mistakenly followed the diversions for cars instead of pedestrians which was quite a bit longer, and, on a couple of occasions you need to leave the obviousness of the canal towpath when the canal goes through long tunnels; my navigation on one of them was a bit off! There was a 40 hour cut-off and I made it in 38:36, first place was taken in just over 24 hours as I recall! The race has a 100 entry limit, 40 actually turned up at the start and 21 made it to the finish. I came to this after running Comrades for the first time, that's two marathons and a bit, and I knew I could run longer, so LLCR is kinda two Comrades and a bit. It was a bit of a baptism of fire, I learned a lot and would approach the next very differently. There is a daft part of my brain that wonders if two and a bit LLCRs would be possible...

I must admit to struggling with my weight; I can't eat uncontrollably; I am currently trying to drop a stone or two, running becomes so much easier the less baggage you have to carry, I would suspect that once my target weight is achieved I will be able to indulge a bit more.

Well done on continuing with your marathoning; I have evolved from a similar place; although when I started running long London didn't exist and I was doing 40 milers as the yearly challenge. So its always been the case that I have looked upon 26.2 as very achievable and a nice day out :) It is great that so many marathons exist these days; I have had a grand time running all over the world.

If you are gunning for a time on a marathon course and going out pushing the envelope you do need that early discipline of restraint in line with your plan, you will feel invincible early on and the desire to push a bit more will be high, so my comments really are to run to plan, and if there is no congestion then great, if you do get held up then don't panic but haul yourself back onto plan over the course of a few miles; its not ideal; but that is the best way to keep on the dream result. The second half, especially from 18 onwards is where all your training and mental strength will be tested, that's what you are saving yourself for when you hold back early on.

• Options
    Long run went a bit longer than expected today, weather was glorious, legs felt great, thus ended up running 20 miles - my furthest yet! 
    First 15 miles were easy pace (my original plan), then last 5 miles i did at a steady pace.
    Completed in 3:07:56

Probably doing too many miles, but i enjoy my running - will have to try and be more disciplined on the long runs. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That's a great run portlanders, if you were going to push it a bit you did the right thing in leaving it to the final quarter, and you only upped it slightly from easy to steady :) Brilliant that you are enjoying it and feeling good. So, rest day tomorrow after that?
  • Options
    Thanks lowrez, went for a few miles walk this afternoon, but yeah rest day tomorrow and probably just a 40 min easy on Sunday. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Walking is a great way to ease the tension out that can build up from running, you are doing a ton of right stuff portlanders, bodes well for a great day on 28th :) 
  • Options
    Wow Portlanders you are flying . I'm a bit jealous you have the 20 miler done . And to up the pace at the end is just great strong sensible trauning.

I did a long interval yesterday
    1 mile warm up
    Then 4 sets of 2 miles at marathon pace 4 mins jogging recovery in between
    11 miles in total
    18 to come this weekend and hopefully I'll go over 40 miles for the week 
  • Options
    You're building more weekly millage than me Prince, i'm around 30 -35 a week over 4 runs, but happy to keep it around that as i don't want to force an injury (last year i got Achilles tendinopathy for loading too many miles too quickly) and missed out on my 1st HM race. This time it looks like i found a formula that works, 2 x shorter intensity runs, 1 x long run, 1 x easy run. 

I'm ahead of myself on the training plan, again it was my intention to account for any poss injuries, but now it means i can have a couple of back weeks in prep for my first HM race in 3 weeks and have some fun with that. At the moment i'm thinking to start the HM at 8:30 pace and see how i feel at the halfway, to maintain or push for 8:00...will see how the next 2 weeks go.

Then after the HM got 6 weeks to London, 3 weeks pushing, 3 weeks taper - will probably go 16, 18, 22, 18, 14, 10... something like that, bound to change.

You seem to very much on plan Prince, be nice to get the 18 under your belt - no hurry to the 20, there's no 20 club unfortunately which I found to be a bit disappointing LOL 

BTW the 20 wasn't all smiles n roses, sore nipples and chaffing between the legs, have got me on a rethink on my kit - new shorts ordered with compression inners - that should sort that one. The top i'm unsure if to go with nipeaze / nip guards, or try Under Armour HG compression top. I only have 1 nipple, the other inverted, yet the inverted one gets just as sore LOL 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I use this for nipple protection, I don't recall an instance when it didn't stay on and I have run some very long races, although removing it can be a bit ouchy!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use this to prevent chafing, although I do wear slightly compressing longer legged underwear to prevent between the thigh stuff, it comes in a roll-on too, but I find these toweletts more handy if you are travelling.
  • Options
    Thanks 1owrez, I have tried surgical tape before, but the 1 nipple i have points out a bit....(hehe an image i'm sure you didn't expect to have on a Sunday) so whilst the surgical tape stayed in place for the inverted nipple, it barely lasted 20 mins on the other. 

Maybe as it was a different brand, this will be better..... think i'll give it a go, and will report back. Thanks 1owrez
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of tapes that simply aren't up to the job, I have used various plasters too, cushioned ones for blisters are not bad but do tend to disappear after a good few miles, this stuff though is in a different class. 
  • Options
    Thanks 1owrez, i've ordered. 
  • Options
    Portlanders I managed a 1.45 last summer. I ran a 1.49 pace until half way and then dropped it. I was very determined to run negative splits . Judging by your runs... plan and milage taking into account that the half is not the goal I think you can really have a confidence building race .

My run in looks like 18 20 13.1
    20 20 rest 21
    Taper

Interesting information in the chaffing. We have to laugh at ourselves with what we are doing 🏃🏃😂😂
  • Options
    1owrez
    May I ask about the restrictions on personal drinks, gels etc at Tokyo please? 
    Been told they give you a full frontal lobotomy followed by a strip search before allowing you to enter the starting pens. Any truth in that?
    Am flying off on Wednesday morning and thought I had better check. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

HS2 I ran it in 2009, blimey, 10 years ago! That was really back in the innocent age of large gatherings of people; there was no security check as far as I recall.

I do remember a bag check and because we finished in a completely different area out at the docks from the start I did book one in with some warm clothes. I understand the finish is now more central.

The bag drop was simple enough followed by a bit of a wait off to the side of the main marathon thoroughfare on a pleasantly tree surrounded plaza amongst the towering business buildings of the start.

I recall popping in a portaloo very briefly within 20 minutes or so of the gun going and being freaked out momentarily when I exited; the plaza was completely devoid of runners? Although I glimpsed in that same realizing second the very last heel disappearing round a remote corner; when I galloped across to where it had gone I relatively quickly joined the queue of people ascending onto the start proper.

Because I couldn't figure out what carb based drink was being served I took a half litre flip top flask with a tether attachment for the lid so I didn't have to be concerned about dropping it and some sachets of PSP22. Knowing that there would be water served meant I could mix this myself on route.

I did discover the carb drink though because at my first attempt of the mix, probably 10ks in I inadvertently added it to the powder instead of water. The result was foul, I believe the drink was called Amino Value and it was as if the sweat of llamas had been distilled down to the saltiest curd. I was then stuck without drink for another 5k but did not make the same mistake twice!

These days I run on sugary sweets purchased locally, and tried prior to the run, and water, much less complicated! Its amazing how prevalent Maoam Stripes are, very handily individually wrapped so that they don't melt in your pocket if it rains.

Not sure if all that blathering is of any help; its also 10 year old info!

• Options
    Thank you 1owrez,
    Was told they want to promote everything related to their sponsors so maybe I ought to try and get used to ' the sweat of llamas that has been distilled down to the saltiest curd' - something for 'er indoors to experiment with as part of the meals she prepare for me.
  • Options
    1owrez said:
    I use this for nipple protection, I don't recall an instance when it didn't stay on and I have run some very long races, although removing it can be a bit ouchy!
    The tape arrived yesterday, so will trial it tomorrow - Thanks 1owrez. Also got new shorts (UA Launch) and new top (UA Siphon) to try - new top has no seams that i can see, and better ventilation, so expecting a better performance than my old matalan ones! lol
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good approach Portlanders; taking new stuff for a run well before the big day. Hope all goes well :)
  • Options
    Cheers 1owrez, not as good as I had hoped but as you say that's the point of trailing these things in advance. 

Firstly the shorts were no good, pockets were showing a good few inches below the bottom of the shorts - what was happening was the shorts were riding up and after 8 miles i could feel the chaffing and had to abort the run - so shorts are going back and due to my fat thighs, and saggy man balls i'm going back to my UA Heatgear compression undershorts, and will find an unlined short to wear over the top.
    2nd - after 3 miles i checked the surgical tape and one had gone, the other was hanging off! I had applied 2 lengths 2 each nipple area in a cross fashion thinking that would help secure but no - guess i have a natural oily skin base..... but.... the seamless top seemed to work fine just on it's own, certainly no rubbing, or soreness identified. so looks like the the top could be a winner on its own - will try it again on my next long run and see what happens - perhaps for the race as extra precaution i will vaseline up. 

So next job is top find a pair of shorts to wear over the compression's with pockets to carry gels. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry things didn't work very well Portlanders, must be frustrating having to abandon the run, just goes to show we are all not the same. It took me ages to find that particular tape - but my skin is very dry, that must be the difference. I'm the same as you with shorts, I've found Nike Pro Combats, which aren't particularly compressing, but come down below my shorts leg, are perfect for me to prevent inner thigh chafing, and, as you say, an unlined short on top. I still use that ultraglide product on my skin first as even the undershorts can slightly chafe at times. If you are running with gels an armband might work instead of carrying them in pockets.  I always go for a short with just one zip pocket at the rear to carry my chews and one of those small discs of Vaseline in case anything does start feeling raw. 
  • Options
    18 miles done .woooop.
    That is all lol
  • Options
    That's ok 1owrez, this is part of what training long runs are for - 1st run i've had to abandon and won't be my last no doubt. Re: the gel carrying this now my only real issue - not a fan of armbands, tried one for a phone once, and didn't get on with it - so think it's either a belt or short pockets - I've seen these belts for about a fiver that also attach a race bib - wouldn't use it for that, but for carrying gels for a few hours, then detach and put in a pocket may work well. Just back to finding the right pair of shorts - which i see UA do a 6" linerless speedpocket that could be worth a punt. I have some of those small discs of vaseline - great tip, thank you so much. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    FWIW I've been using a product called Bodyglide on my nipples, underarms, feet etc for marathons for a few years now.  Never had any problems, chafing or bleeding at all. It  tends to stay on for hours which vaseline doesn't.  No need for tape or plasters.

• Options
    Well done Prince, how did you find it?

Cheers Wardi, will look that up now
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I'm scared :-) such a product is just a myth surely? Does it really work? Do you carry a disc of it with you when you run in case it wears off?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I've never felt the need Lowrez.. I daubed a decent coating on before the York marathon last October as it was quite heavy rain throughout the race.  Even after that I didn't get any chafing or bleeding.  I guess you could put some into a smaller container if you were paranoid :)
    There is also a sun screen called P20 which is apparently used by the GB triathlon team - it simply stays on for longer and is water resistant.  It is quite expensive but if it works I don't mind paying a bit extra.