Options

Berlin Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    Ok thanks! Got my first track session tomorrow - 12x400m which isnt so daunting having raced the 10k last week. Did a few miles at MP last week but will be attempting 10 miles with 6 @ MP on Thursday.

Do you start next week? Are you following a particular plan or devising your own?
  • Options
    Sounds a great start.

I'm starting next week for a 16 week plan, which I created when I signed up for the event but have no idea what I based it off!

Basically entails 4 runs per week with midweek runs for speed building, and I cycle to work most days anyway from a cross-training perspective.
  • Options
    Hi all. I’m running Berlin this year. Aiming for sub-2:45 after coming very close last year at Manchester with 2:45:06! Had a rough year since then with injuries, but touch wood I’m feeling healthy now. Ticked off 102 miles last week, and starting to hit the paces I was running prior to Manchester which hopefully bodes well. 

Less than 100 days to go now. How is everyone getting on?
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Runspoonrun - We may be running together as we have the same target! That's a huge weekly mileage total. Had a fun couple of months focusing on shorter races but start the Berlin focus this week. It suddenly seems to be coming up very quickly!
  • Options
    What I lack in natural running talent, I make up for in miles! :D I'm not very good at running lots of fast sessions, but my body is good at absorbing lots of mileage. Over the years I've tried various ways of training, but high mileage, with a big tempo session midweek and a decent pace long run, always yields the best results for me.

I'm concentrating on LT workouts over the next few weeks. I have a 10K race on the 14th, and after that I'll transition in to my usual marathon workouts. It's a mixture of sessions taken from the NAZ Elite training plans, as well as the BAC sessions made famous by Steve Way. Lots of work at MP-HMP. 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Which 10k race are you doing RSR? I had one pencilled in for the 14th but decided to concentrate on getting some quality weeks in.

Your training is quite different to mine! I tend to around 50-60m a week with a 10k paced session such as 6 x mile/ 12 x 1k, 8-10m tempo and a long run. I work with an online coach though so I just trust him to set all the training!

• Options
    It's all about finding what works for you at the end of the day isn't it. Those sessions don't sound that far away from some of the ones I'll do. The NAZ Elite plan for example has 20x1k and 10x1M @ HMP, so more reps than your session, but at a slower pace.

I'm doing the Coventry Northbrook 10K. Not targeting it as such, but it comes at the end of a recovery week so should be a useful gauge of where I am.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Definitely, I think the 10m tempos I do are the sessions that benefit me the most for the marathon. Ah Northbrook is the 10k I had pencilled in. Its in the Warwickshire Road Race League so the quality will be high.

I've got a 5000m at the end of July then I think I'll train through until Kenilworth Half which I will race
  • Options
    Heh, I'm doing Kenilworth too. Probably as an MP run, Will see how things go, and how I get on at the Newark Half in August.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha Newark was my other option but I decided to go for the more local option! 
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

runspoonrun I've also signed up for Newark, might see you there!  :D
  • Options
    Great minds Stevie ;)

Cool Hill1. One of the drawbacks I’ve found with Berlin being early autumn, is finding races, especially in August. I’m praying for cool weather at Newark!! The lighter mornings are certainly a bonus vs winter training though. 
  • Options
    Training going well for this so far. Have been racking up about 30-35 km per week so far and building up from here, ran 15km in 1:13 yesterday so feeling very on track for sub 4.
  • Options
    Good to hear Aussie. I think sub 4 should be your 'C' target and decide over the next few weeks where your 'A' and 'B' lie. 

Training consistently here in the 50-60 mile per week range although hampered by a touch of plantar fasciitis. Doesnt hurt while running but sore at other times - keeping it at bay with ice bottle and golf ball rolling. Had a good 16 miler today.

Hope you speedier guys are also going well. Eleven weeks will fly by now!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'll throw my name in the ring for this, as it's fast approaching.  My training has been interrupted due to a shoulder injury (not running related).  I did Rotterdam on 7th April but didn't run much at all for over 2 months as have been under physio, very strong painkillers and resorted to a steroid injection but I'm back running now.  The last 3 or 4 weeks have been decent but it's amazing how the fitness/speed has dropped off though.  It may be partly due to the heat/humidity which I do suffer with, so I'm hoping come Berlin it'll feel fresher/cooler.  However, the last 4 weeks have seen me do 39, 50, 60, 50 miles, which is pleasing.  I have a hilly 6-mile race this Friday and a Half on Sunday, so not sure what the weekly mileage will be although it'll be interesting to see how I get on at the Half in particular.

When I got into Berlin I was hoping for a PB attempt (PB is 3:19 from 2018) but at the moment I'm really not sure where I am.  I did Torbay Half about 3 weeks ago and struggled a bit in 1:50 having done less than 40 miles over the previous 10 weeks.  I'm not quite "feeling it" at the moment, but there's time yet.  After putting on a bit of weight when I was out injured, I have got that back under control again and I'm happy with my weight now, which helps.

I don't really follow a training plan as such, but do a few events (marathons, mainly).  I've got 4 or 5 marathons before Berlin but they wouldn't be PB attempts at all as Berlin was the major Autumn target.  The majority of my mileage is easy paced, but then I do the occasional speed session, or shorter race to see how I'm getting on.  When I'm ticking over the regular marathons, the weekly mileage tends to be all easy.  For me, I tried to follow P&D a couple of times but the speed sessions tend to lead to injury, so the easy mileage seems the best bet for me.

Sorry if it's been asked before, but is there any thought on doing the parkrun the day before the marathon?

Anyway, that's me.  I'm hoping to stay in touch with this thread :)  
  • Options
    Great advice @bobdidmadrid - as you said I'll evaluate how the next few weeks go and decide what my goals are from there. I'm guessing 'A' will be sub-3:30 and 'B' will be sub-3:45, but I think A might be a bit of a push at the moment. Glad you're getting the mileage in even with the injury, hope all goes well in managing that!

@Big_G welcome to the thread! Not sure about the parkrun, might do the Generali Breakfast Run on the Saturday. Details for that are here: https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-race/supporting-program/generali-breakfast-run/.
  • Options
    Bobdidmadrid - I suffered from PF last year. Mine started like yours, ok during runs, but got worse so be careful. I found lots of yoga and particularly hamstring stretches solved it for me.

Plenty of time yet Big_G, you’ve put in some great consistent mileage which bodes well. 

I’d not heard of the breakfast run AARiL, I see it finishes on the track at the Olympic Stadium which sounds fun. I was debating doing parkrun, but might do that instead. 

My training has has been going well, starting to see the kind of paces I was running before Manchester so in the right kind of place. I did the Coventry Northbrook 10K yesterday in 37:15. It’s pretty hilly, so pleased to run 40s quicker than I did on a flat course four weeks ago. Especially as I hate hills and normally get altitude sickness going up curbs :D
  • Options
    Thanks Spoons, I'll look up some hamstring stretches.
  • Options
    Got a cracker in tonight - 18km in 1:26:12. No water intake either, which I'll fix for the longer ones going forward, but considering I used to struggle to run 5km in any pace under 6:30min/km I'm ecstatic just to be at this point.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what gels they hand out during the course?
  • Options
    Good confidence booster Aussie. Re the gels, I think they give out Power Bar gels and energy drinks. Only 10 weeks to go - getting excited already!
  • Options
    jxmitchelljxmitchell ✭✭✭
    > @AnAussieRunnerinLon said:
    > Does anyone know what gels they hand out during the course?

According to the official site - https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-race/start-course-finish/refreshment/ - something called "ultraSPORTS ultraGel" at the 27.5KM mark. In the past there's generally only one point where they hand out gels.

Also if you check that page this year they've got a delicious beetroot drink at various points on the course. Yum. I'm sure we'll all be looking out for that.
  • Options
    Good spot JXM. I was looking at information from previous years. If anyone wants my beetroot drink please go ahead! 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm in,missed out on ballot and charity place but running crazy had some race only entries so bought 1 this morning.
  • Options
    Well done Ian! Getting close now, excitement starting to build.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Yes only 6.5 weeks to go! Need to start looking into important stuff, like where I am going for post marathon beers! Any suggestions from anyone who has done it before?
  • Options
    Hope everyone is going well and steering clear of injury as we enter the last phase. Did 19 miles this morning at about MP+40 secs. Would have liked it a bit faster but finding this warm, humid weather is slowing me a bit. I run without water or fuel and can usually manage ok but am finding I'm getting really dry by about 12/13 miles and this makes the closing miles that bit tougher. Will do 2x20 milers between now and taper which on the Hansons plan is only 10 days. Have found this suits me and quite like keeping the intensity going. Have felt quite rested on this in my last two marathons following Hansons.

Hope BA/Heathrow get their various issues sorted before the end of September (a rise in the exchange rate in favour of the £ wouldnt go amiss either!)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bob-MP+40 is way faster than I manage so well done,I'm more in the MP+70-90 secs range.
    10 miler this morning raced in 1:03:36 so happy with that,4 big weeks now to get some good miles in.
  • Options
    Good evening runners,I was part of this forum months ago but forgot all about it whilst training for Paris.You'll get some great tips on f.b page Berlin marathon 19 from people from all over the world.I'm looking to break my hoodoo of 4hrs.Good luck to all.
  • Options
    MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is going well and steering clear of injury as we enter the last phase.

Just like update that I am not running BM this year. I am devastated as last few months has been very challenging for me. I ran into some cardiac issues hence strongly advised by the cardiac team not to participate in any running activities. I am not sure if/when I will ever be able to return to my beloved running! :'(

Good to luck to all of and hope your training is going well.