Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations TR. You're cake's coming together nicely.
    Good to hear you're on the up Joe though a shame KL isn't back to racing fitness to keep you honest ;) Have fun in SA - you there for a parkrun too?
    After getting off to a decent start in January I came down with a nasty virus just over a week ago which stopped me in my tracks. Mostly OK now though still coughing up sticky green phlegm from time to time :s
    Started back with an easy 5M (which wasn't) followed by 9 on Saturday including a brutally hilly parkrun & a hilly LSR on Sunday - which was only 13.1M but took 2hrs. Also walked for 2+hrs both days over the w/e: hilly & with heavy hiking boots on. Stuck to the bike for my commute today to give the legs a chance to recover.
  • Options

Jools - That's the trouble, the coughing up crap long after you feel better.

Reg - My mate who ran a massive PB in the 4 villages half (70.36 down from 72.40) reckons they (Nike 4%) are better when you are going faster - than in a full marathon. But that one he did was basically downhill for the last 3 miles and perfect conditions also. The twitter post was from James Baker.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dorney Tempo today. After a couple of HM paced bits mixed in with easy, i just fancied a straight "even" paced job.

Got there and realised the wind was insane one side of the lake - frrom the boathouse keeping the lake on your right. I've seen it mild and fairly windy, but this was bloody brutal :D 

Thought it'd be good strength / never know what a race will throw up, so did it as it came out.

6.20 average, which was pleasing.

No surprise with the splits though - all over the shop

6.32-6.19-6.10-6.33-6.13-6.11

No prizes for guessing where the windy side of the lake kicked in!

I never do two full laps, to avoid too long a cool down, so that 6.11 included a good chunk back into wind - but not the pure brutal wind of the lake, just fairly windy!

Glad that's done!
  • Options

Horrible one to get out the way, like my 400's on Saturday..ugh..

Luton last night, pretty breezy one way, but not too bad other way. Grass ok, but tacky in places. Session was 8 x 1k off 80 secs. Basically around the whole field, then around half the field.

Felt more like it last night  - 3.24 to start, then down to 3.16. think the others were 3.15,3.16,3.17,3.18,3.15,3.11. Happier with that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As per...as per  :D

Then I put in a really "unusual" 10miler sub 7...hopefully these "easy" runs ramping up to this pace are positive for any future races, rather than me being the classic too fast easy, too slow hard amateur :)
  • Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Decent sessions as usual SC! Give it a bit of time Jools - I find it's probably a good couple of days or more after you think you're better before you actually are, the tiredness tends to linger as long as the green mucky stuff does!

Ended last week with a making-up-the-numbers effort at the local 10, mainly as it's a league race and our teams aren't doing great so wanted to help if I could! Lots of hills and brutal exposed headwind stretches meant the time (67:47) was slower than expected but 39th out of 500+ finishers showed it was probably just a bit of a slow day. Didn't seem to affect the pointy end too much but local nemeses weren't too far off. Next one will be Salisbury 10 so 8 weeks away, hopefully that'll be a few minutes quicker!

Back to full bike volume this week with a couple of runs later on, then back to sessions next week. Had a massage Monday which wasn't too bad until we got to the quads which were sore as! Probably need to work on mobility and strength a bit more to make sure the right muscles are doing the right things
  • Options
    Joolks - that's some brutal return after being ill (but we'd expect nothing less!!!)

Usual fine session Simon :wink:

Nice tempo SG - that wind must have been a mare, as it was pretty bad even in sheltered places.

SOunds a decent time in the circs Iower. Always amazes me how the top guys don't seem to be as affected as us normal humans!

Double day yesterday and very sluggish and tired, so imagine my surprise when I went out for a tempo at lunchtime, not knowing what to expect but felt good enough from the off to dispense with any sort of warm up and blasted out 10k in 38:53, with a positive split to boot (19:23, 19:10) so 6:15 average - lost a few seconds crossing roads too. Happy with that :smiley:
  • Options
    Can't add up!!!! 19:43, 19:10!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6.16 as well 😋😜

Faster than mine, so assuming the same effort level you are the man to beat 👄❤
  • Options
    6:15 according to Strava (cos it was just over 10k!).

I reckon you're just not putting the effort in :wink: (bet you were soft and did a warm up too!)

To be fair, conditions were perfect today - cold, but no wind.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I certainly couldn't put a 6mile hm pace job in continuously. And certainly not from cold.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Excellent 'tempo' Bus; presume you feel could go faster still in a 10k race? Even that pace would be a 81'xx HM so you are in great shape for a good W'ham. I agree with SG; no way could I go and run 10k at HM pace as a solo with no w/u. Would be very tough even when fully tuned up.  Glad I ducked out of meeting you at Staines 10k (well I had to take the free GFA place at Reading that Reg put me onto :))  
  • Options
    Cheers Pete. I agree about the warm up and normally these days it takes a couple of miles and some strides to get up to any sort of pace, but for some reason today my legs felt good from the off, so I just pressed on! I had run down 22 flights of stairs before getting changed, which helps but doesn’t really constitute a warm up!

i suspect I will pay for it tomorrow 😊
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Quality run that Bus. Just the sort of confidence booster needed with less than 3 weeks to go til Wokingham. Conditions were indeed perfect today.
    I ran 10K in to work then did another 5M along the canal at lunchtime including 5x200m strides. Beautiful sunshine & still too B)Cycled back too so another decent day.
    Found out yesterday I'd entered Wrexham Village Bakery HM again back in Feb last year as it was an early bird bargain: only £15. I'd clean forgotten about it til I checked my running email account & saw the final race details email. Still thought they'd made a mistake & had me on a mailing list from 2017 or 2018 :D  Fortunately the girlfriend has agreed to spend Valentine's weekend in N Wales so I get to do Pont-y-Bala parkrun on Saturday as a warm-up before Sunday's main event. Not nearly ready for it mentally or physically but I'll suck it & see. Not such a bargain though as I've had to book a hotel for 2 nights as opposed to roughing it in the car as per usual :D  
  • Options
    Lol!  Do you get lots of bakery goods afterwards though?

Cheers - it is, and especially as my confidence was feeling very down beforehand, as my training plan has gone to pieces and I've only done one of the five midweek medium-long steady-state runs I'd planned and that was nowhere near as long as I wanted!

My Garmin is still telling me I could do a 10k in 41:27 though :smiley:

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think that's a very promising sign that you can hold 6.15 for a half - which I reckon you'd take with both hands :)

Thinking back, you often did this sort of continuous HM pace job. I think it's almost a 50-50 job, those who would bawk, and those who can do it. Our own Matt L who is an absolute flyer has said before he couldn't even do a way smaller section at his race HM.

No idea if that HR was a proper measured one, or a wrist watch? Looks like you were pushing hard for 180s in the last few miles if the former. If not, it probably just synced in with your stride!

I tend to work more to the way Moz used to teach it, that you start with "MP", which is 10-15secs slower than HM, which is still not messing about. Then after a fair number, you'd end "hard", or layer in the HM chunks, or even tempo, boiling up to a crescendo with a 3x2m HM 10days out, and a 3x1mile HMP in the week of the race.

Dorney can be an awkward place for these sort of runs, simply due to the wind. Otherwise it's a magnificently safe, traffic free, superb location, and close to work. Wycombe, any part of Slough, or the Jubilee River, simply don't work for such a run.

I'm hoping that while sometimes the pace comes out wind affected, the "effect" is the same, and it has a toughening benefit. I'm sure Muddy would approve of such thinking.

Looking back, my best one was a 6.11 average, which must have been a mild wind day, there were a couple of 6.16/6.18s, with the more classic "one side wind"  and then the heaviest wind 6.20 on Tuesday, with a couple of other runs mixing HM with easy for mid 6.20s

I suppose if I was trying to either do the MP/HMP, or just HMP I'd have to hit the track and deal with the mental strain of 24 and a bit laps! When you're storming into wind already taking a hit on the MP, imagine trying to then take 10 or more seconds off :D

I think I'll try those sort of progressing/mixing between two pace tempos when I'm racing 5mile -10ks, mixed in with faster reps as the other sesh.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Jools, I bet your bank account Is just littered with random race entries!

And hang on son, you sleep in your car?! That cannot be optimum pre race material!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Lol!  Do you get lots of bakery goods afterwards though?

Cheers - it is, and especially as my confidence was feeling very down beforehand, as my training plan has gone to pieces and I've only done one of the five midweek medium-long steady-state runs I'd planned and that was nowhere near as long as I wanted!

My Garmin is still telling me I could do a 10k in 41:27 though :smiley:

My garmin keeps reporting "fastest" distances after runs, and I'm certain I did faster a few weeks back! But then sometimes I have to re-pair the watch with the Bluetooth, so sometime has obvs changed a bit.

I don't even bother looking at the predicted times. It's like they work to a ludicrous formula of take the 2012-13 pbs and whop another big chunk off!

And on the other side, you'll finish a moderate run sometimes, and it'll tell you, that you need 63 hours to recover :D

The two things cannot work together!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus. I couldn't run 10k at hmp so you can aim a bit quicker, if you have the strength to hold it together late on.
  • Options
    Cheers TR.

I think the Garmin race predictor works off VO2, from a simple lookup table. The VO2 estimate is based on a pace and heart rate algorithm. As my max heart rate can't be 185 as the Garmin states, then I reckon (as it is wrist based) it has synced to cadence - a fundamental flaw of course!

I always used to think tempo pace would work out at HMP, but not sure that holds true anymore. We'll see - but, yes SG, if Wokingham came out close to that I'd be very happy. Pretty sure I couldn't (yet) sustain that pace for 13.1M though!  Time will tell of course!
  • Options
    Yes Bus there will be a packet of welsh cakes or a bara brith along with the medal.
    SG I regularly sleep in the Passat. It's an estate: the seats fold completely flat & I lay out a foam mattress, pillows & duvet so it's really pretty comfortable.
    Just read this blog from this year's Spine winner:   https://randomforestrunner.com/2020/01/2020-the-spine-race/?fbclid=IwAR3fyXDW_5SLDJJjS05YvzP242zLWv1spbHsMgqtp-mwcgutpNlLD9YhHv4 He did a 2:35 marathon in New York last year btw
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine you clapped out sleeping down some random road, worrying the locals ;)

Bus - as a believer in race day magic, I'm surprised you even doubt that you could hold that pace in a race! 6miles at a pace in training is surely doable for just over double in a race!
    Unless, you're our local crazy pal who rinses himself silly in training and can barely better it in races :disappointed:

Turned cold today. Innit.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Jooligan said:

SG I regularly sleep in the Passat. It's an estate: the seats fold completely flat & I lay out a foam mattress, pillows & duvet so it's really pretty comfortable.

Don't come a knockin' when the car is rockin' eh, Jules ;)
  • Options

Love it Jools :) Echoes of the rumour that Pinto slept on a bench in Waterloo the night before winning London!

Decent 10 there iower and great training from the Busman. You'll have to try and incorporate 22 flights of stairs into your pre race warm up.

Early session today, as xc on Saturday. Been set 4 x (600,400,300,200) off 60 with 2 mins between sets. As I had to do it on the very picture-skew Regents Canal I went for (1.50,68,49,33) instead. Slightly misty so was just right. Felt ok.

Oh yes. Shocking news. Someone at LBAC has an old Garmin Forerunner 15 that they don't need - guess who has stepped up to the plate to take it off her hands???? And no, I won't turn into a 'SW' either. Be good to measure reps out.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not if you find you've massively been over estimating them for years 😆😆😍😍😍💣💣
  • Options
    Down the stairs Simon :smile:

And yes SG - I hope so re the old RDM, but who knows?! Fingers crossed for the weather that weeknd - glad I'm not racing (or even doing an LSR!) this Sunday. Weather looks atrocious!

Certainly a beautiful morning for an off-roader this morning.  Legs were OK, though yesterday has set off the old hip/adductor thingy, so need to watch that one. 
  • Options
    Russell Bentley is a man after my own heart Simon: slept in the cab of his van under a Tesco value quilt the night before running Chester Marathon 2018 https://russellrunner.com/5368/ which was right after Berlin & just before winning Snowdonia marathon! Congratulations on joining the GPS brigade btw. See you on Strava shortly  :p
    Looking like likely my sunday race will be called off as it's through a lot of wooded areas & with winds like that they can't risk having a tree come down on us nutjob competitors or the marshals. They're not calling it till Saturday about midday but I can't see the forecast improving massively bu then.
    Double day again for me: 5M at lunch with 5x1K off 2 minute jog. Nothing spectacular pace wise but managed to make every one faster than the last. Then an easy 12K along the canal as the sun was going down. Another glorious day for it B
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I remember that Russell Bentley race report.

Worthing 1/2 Sunday is off, i remain current m50 champ for a bit longer.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Must be bad to call a road race off - unlucky to everyone who had worked especially towards it - but even worse for the organiser who now has massive stress resolving the whole thing.

Dorney again for me, 4x1mile progressives.
    No special pace aims, as long as each one gets quicker.

Foggy as heck, 50metre visibility job at times!
    Luckily the wind was pretty light, and although one direction was still a little bit mote than the other, nothing to ruck the splits.

5.55, 5.53, 5.45, 5.42

The 4th one had a direction change about 2/3rd in, meaning for a climb up a little grassy bank, but still nicely on track.

First 2 and latter 2 quite similar, but it did what it needed to.
    More mentally stimulating on a route like this, but less sense of exact paces you get with the quarter mile lap splits.

Cold though!
  • Options
    Very active on here recently! A lot of content to comment on, but largely great training by all! Bus, that 10km tempo is great, and suggests great things for Wokingham. SC, welcome to the digital world ;) if SG managed to join Strava, then it won't be long for you I'm sure.

Shame to hear about the cancelled races this weekend, but it's not a decision taken lightly, and I wouldn't want to be the one to make it. It's certainly going to make for interesting long runs. TR, you're heading well and the HM would have been perfect to gauge your progress. Well done at Chichester!

SG, if you're only racing road, when does someone ever need quarter mile splits?  :D Glad to hear the wind wasn't so bad today.

Not sure what I posted last time I dropped in, but been getting some training done.
    Unfortunately the January 5km was cancelled for whatever reason, but I wasn't feeling up for it with the lurgy coming back round again. Since then I've done a 2x2min (4min), 2x3min (3min), 2x4min(2min) session, which absolutely killed my legs as it started a 3km pace and went through to 5km pace - 18mins averaging 5:37/mi, which was pretty tidy. Last week was a 4x6min threshold with 3min cruise, averaging 6:11/mi with the last at 5:55/mi. Nice to push the envelope on that one. Skipped the planned 10km race last Sunday, as was just not feeling it on the Saturday, it was blowing a gale down here and wasn't keen to work hard for a mediocre result. Bagged a long run instead.
    Yesterday was 6x6min with 2min cruise, upping the ante of last week. Managed a similar average at 6:12/mi, and closed with a 6:00/mi dead rep. Comfortably hard until the 4th rep, but the last two were just hard. Should do the endurance some good!

Hoping to see things come together now with some consistent mileage. Opportunities to race before Eastleigh on 22nd March are looking slim, it would be nice to test the waters.