Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Ah, fair enough.  He was on the start list of Dorney too, so maybe he was hedging his bets at that time, regarding what races may or may not go ahead.  

Ian, funnily enough,  Jonathon Walton you mentioned was the guy I was talking about a few months ago regarding HR training.  Both him and Cherriman have very good interviews on the Extramilist YouTube channel.  Not sure how many were in the race, but I saw on Strava that Walton won a 30-mile trail race today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Of course having more bins/less litter is important at DL there's a risk that the litter blows into the lake, which won't endear the race organisers to the landowners.

TR - that is quite odd results at DL.   Do you think some of those that knew they were going to miss a sub 3 pulled up to save their energy for another day?

Rcouture - well I do hope your half goes ahead, they obviously have a strategy to deal with that amount of runners.

I am squeamish about feet 🤢 so that was enough info.   Maybe more cushioned socks or taping up the area to protect it, I think you'll have to do some research as I suspect this is quite a common problem.   I know some ultra runners will tape up their feet before a race to protect them.

Only 5 miles for me this morning, had planned 6 miles.   Cut my run short as unfortunately I can't ignore my ankle now.   It was fine after my run yesterday for the rest of the day, but when I got up this morning it was twinging, more like a nerve pain and had the same thing a few times during my run.    Can't find a sore spot, so not sure what it is, will maybe tape it up for the day.

Pilates this morning. 
  • Options
    Shades/ tr having a look at the dl race results, 10 of those 25 runners between 3 and 3.06 will have had predicted finish times of 3hr plus as started at 11am, seems there were 12 dnf from the sub 3 wave.  Not sure how those percentages relate to other events.  Another factor is the race organiser said the faster runners will go first, I wonder if that accounts for anything.  The more I think about it, the more I think about it, the more I think why did I bother starting to look 🤣 

shades hope the ankle heels

not feeling any better, went to bed early last night and couldn’t sleep. Perhaps shouldn’t be looking as pointless stats at DL and should try some sleep.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - sorry you're not feeling any better today.    Thinking of those stats makes my brain hurt, no wonder you couldn't sleep.

Re DL, I think faster runners expect and would prefer to go off first, rather than have later start times, it's not as if it was at 6 a.m. so not that early.

Hastily slapped some Kinesio tape on my ankle, don't think it made any difference except mentally it reassures me a little.   Ankle was sore walking to Pilates, same twinging pain as I had out running, not all the time just randomly, so was mentally cancelling gym tomorrow  and run too.   But it was fine in Pilates thought I might have difficulty with the balancing, when we balance on one leg, but even that didn't even give me a twinge.   We do a mobility exercise as warm up for ankles and that was pain free too.   Then I walked home without a single twinge, puzzling injury.
    Pilates was good, I find the shoulder stand hard but did better this week.   We did some hip flexor stuff too, tough but good.
  • Options
    I think the balancing will be good for the ankle, Shades. Probably worth getting it checked out, though.
    Rob, sorry you're not feeling good.

Hamstring still very noticeable - there's a twinging pain up in my butt so pretty textbook, really.
    But I got myself out for another walk and was able to walk fast. I actually pushed it so it turned into a progression walk - first mile at 15:13 and fifth mile at 13:28. Good to know I can still walk fast when I want to - I remember motoring around Royal Parks when I had my TFL injury and overtaking runners in the latter stages. :D

Gym a bit later - did upper body mainly but fitted in some glutes and core in between sets, plus some swiss ball hammy curls.
    I've booked the machines gym for the next two days so I can slot in some cardio and lower body stuff, too. The only issue is being limited to an hour, so I guess half an hour of cardio and half an hour of rehabby stuff.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's promising that you can do hamstring curls on the stability ball as that's quite intensive.  And that you can stride out at such a good pace too.

I've Dr Googled my ankle and almost text book tweaking of ligament on a weak ankle.   This is the ankle I sprained very badly a few years ago.   Although I'm not aware that I did anything this time round to do any damage to it apparently it is possible to aggravate it by having shoes too tight.   I have a tendency in cold weather to sometimes tighten my running shoes too much.   Not all of my shoes have elastic laces in.

So, I've put a support bandage on, won't run tomorrow.

Not much room left on the injury bench on this thread. ☹️
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your injury, Shades :(  Fingers crossed the strapping helps it.

Cal, we walked our marathon at under 15min/miles, which we were really pleased with.  4.1mph we managed for the 26.2.

No running here as per my plan, but I went for roughly a 5-mile walk.  Got caught in the rain sadly, but it was nice to be out.  Plan is to do approx 5-mile again tomorrow, with a run/walk strategy as I did yesterday, and see how it goes.

Committee tonight.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Big  G - Didn't realise Hermes was a delivery company..; and yes Shades, those scarves are eye wateringly expensive.

Shades - Sounds like one of the rare occasions when asking Dr Google was a good idea.. reassuring to have a logical explanation on the cause of your injury too.
    I've got pins and needles in my left hand at the moment, it's come on since the back injury so all probably related but I'm not even going near Google with that symptom. Just know I'll be there in the early hours of the morning wild eyed in front of the computer and checking my life insurance policy.
    You're right - we're all coming down like flies on here.

Yes, still doing the cooking, never actually stopped unfortunately. They're making my post into a permanent one now, to which end I was on a course all day today. Extremely boring but a welcome break from the kitchen.

My leg is still hurting in spite of rolling away with my orange trigger point thing whenever I can, not sure if it's doing any good to be honest but won't stop in case the bloody thing gets any worse  :|
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think we can probably nudge you off the injury bench very soon.
    But you've been very patient as it's been a while dealing with that achilles.

Mamafox - what finally happened to the previous cook, did she get her early retirement?

Don't know about your pins and needles, but makes sense it's all connected.

I'm not sure rolling your leg will help as the pain is coming from your back.  That's why sciatic stretches are usually for the back.

Are you under stricter lockdown restrictions now since the second wave?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Very true Robert, you can probably get all sorts of theories from results if you try hard enough.

Shades - i guess the folks with a sniff of sub3 made it as it was an ok ish day. I lokked at the results on p of 10 and 8 of the 20ish i referenced ran a pb, so they all performed well enough.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - that's a fair number of PB's, of course for most they waited a long time this year to have a go at a PB.

I think the nature of the course would encourage more DNF's.   Multiple laps don't suit all and so easy when seeing your car/the finish and going through a bad spell to call it a day.   Whereas on a single or even a 2 lap marathon course it's not always that easy to DNF as there is the problem of getting back to the finish.

Resting my ankle today, have cancelled gym too.
  • Options
    You're not wrong there, Shades - I know the fact I was returning to the finish area definitely influenced my decision to stop at Dorney (though it was definitely the right decision). I might have been inclined to tough it out had it been a traditional marathon course. I daresay the same was true of the runners who dropped out of the London elite race.

On that note, I've just cancelled the 50K ultra I was supposed to be running next month. The idea was that I do Dorney Lake Marathon, recover for a couple of weeks and then build training up again in time for the ultra. Not only do I not have a 26 mile run in the bank but the hamstring is still not keen on letting me run at the moment so  I am not going to be able to ramp up the mileage like I need to, even if it suddenly gets better tomorrow. Clearly I need to give my old legs a bit of a break and some TLC so I know it's the sensible decision as I want to be tackling my first ultra with more confidence rather than trying to wing it with an injury and insufficient training.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - re your ultra, that's a shame, but we both know that hamstrings just don't suddenly get better and usually a lengthy recovery is required.

Is there anything left on your race schedule for 2020 now?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, I done similar analysis a week or so ago and noticed the PBs.  I think that’s a very good percentage bearing in mind there were a very low number of tune up races.  In terms of percentage of sub-3s that was also very high at Dorney, as I compared it to Abingdon 2019 (known as a course that attracts quicker runners) which was at around 17%. 

That’s a shame, Cal.  I remember one year I pulled out of the DD very early on, but in a way it was a weight off my mind as deep down I just knew I would't be ready.

This morning I went out and did the same route as Sunday, with the run/walk the same so a total of just under 3-miles of actual running.  It's a bit hard to explain, but there was a very, very slight uncomfortable feeling in the achilles.  No sharp pain at all, and more just a tightness/dull ache than a pain, but there was definitely something still there not quite right, which I didn't have on Sunday.  Both before and after the run there was zero pain when prodding/squeezing the area though.  I'll see how it is tomorrow but presuming there is still no sharp pain at all tomorrow morning, current plan is to still do the same session tomorrow and see how it is.  Or would you guys just abandon that plan (I know it's very individual and it's hard for someone else to advise)?
  • Options
    Cal sorry to read your decision, gives you time to get fixed.  Think yourself lucky, there is no medal, just a rerun clothing stamp.

Big g - I'm not surprised there was a big percentage of fast runners at Dorney, only 8 weeks between the race announcement and race day so only suited runners that were ready and looking for a time.  Hope the achilles behaves if you run tomorrow.

Shades - I actually enjoy aspects of lapped races, the main aspect for me is knowing how far out I am on the official race markers.  After doing one lap at Dorney my watch should have read 6.55 miles but was a 6.7 miles.  Straight away I got my head round the race would be 26.4 miles on my watch. I didn't think bout it before the race but my next road marathon will be an attempt on a sub 4 or closing the gap.  4 laps 1 hour each would be perfect.  Have pencilled in Richmond Run Festival towards the end of March.

Still not feeling 100%, cold came out last night and had a cough through the night, cough not too bad this morning so decided against a test.
  • Options
    Rob, I'd be lying if I said the lack of a medal wasn't a factor in my decision. :D I want a medal for my first ultra.
    I'd rest up with the cold - any hint of a cough will get you burned at the stake these days.

Big G, have you had anyone look at your achilles and assess your movement? I'm wondering if there's an underlying issue elswhere in the kinetic chain (there usually is, to be fair).

Shades - nothing as yet but Runthrough have a number of races around London so I'll most likely do any that aren't cancelled if the hamstring improves. Obviously I have to be careful with speed once I get going again.
    I had a look at that thread and subscribed the guy's YouTube - looked at the vid on gluteal tendinopathy and it seems to indicate that most problems actually originate in the mid back and are a product of slouching when you sit. Yeah...guilty. I am going to make sure I mobilise this area daily.

Today I hit the gym at 8 and I went to the machines room for a change for half an hour on the elliptical (kill me now) and then some lower body stuff (bodyweight only) - glute bridges, steps ups on a 20 inch block, single leg box squats and so forth.
    Much as I hate the elliptical it doesn't stress the hamstring so it's safe to do. I rather wish they hadn't moved it away from the TVs as I used to pass the time on it by watching Homes under the Hammer. :D
  • Options
    Cal - That’s a shame re your Ultra. Have you done the Grand Union canal half? I’m considering at it as an alternative if the Olympic Park gets canned. It’s more of a trail run so unlikely for PBs but course looks lovely. 

Rest day yesterday even though didn’t really need it. Yoga teacher went a bit nuts on the strength stuff though which isn’t ideal for a rest day but hey ho. Will go out this eve for 7. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - not sure Abingdon is a good comparison to Dorney Lake for PB's.   Remember a lot of runners would travel to Europe in the autumn for a fast marathon, Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Dublin etc.   There was only Elvington this year as an alternative to Dorney Lake.

Sorry, impossible to advise on whether you should run again tomorrow, why not ask that Aussie physio I put the link up for and see what he says.

Robert - hope that progresses no further than a cold, which is what it sounds like you have.

All of my Garmins have measured 26.4 miles for a marathon.

That's a very achievable target for you at Richmond.

Cal - well that's good that you have an option to race later on if you want to, with a choice of events

I haven't looked at that physio's YouTube yet, I will do.

That half an hour on the elliptical must have felt like a marathon.   I don't do any of the machines in the gym for the same reason, I quite like the rowing machine but I'm bored in 2 minutes..no staying power. 

Did my food shop today to get me out.   Still have light strapping on my ankle and no pain today, but I only did minimal walking and no pain getting out the car either which is good.   When I sprained my ankle badly I actually did it getting out of the car in a hurry, had an ouch moment and then ran a marathon the next day and was completely crocked after that for weeks. 

Sensibly I will probably have to cancel my circuits class and gym tomorrow.   
    :( 
  • Options
    I haven't, rcouture, but it's on my radar. I think both of those races are a bit soon for my hamstring, though (I'd definitely be more inclined to do Olympic Park of the two, mind you - not sure how muddy GUC is but I am not a fan of mud at all).

Shades, not that I've been on a rower in a long time but I used to like it for sprints - 500m or sometimes less. It's a good machine for generating power - not so much for long slow efforts. (Besides, with your hands busy, it's not convenient if you want to scratch your nose, have a drink or wipe sweat out of your eyes).
    Glad the ankle is improving. As you know I've sprained mine loads - a proper sprain takes a good long while to recover from.

I've consoled myself by booking Richmond Runfest Marathon next March. I'm not massively keen on the stony towpath but I've done the half five times so I know the marathon will be a scenic race if not quite as fast as a road one.
  • Options
    Cal -  the lack of a medal led me to the close down page, may see you at Richmond as one of my options for an early spring marathon.

Shades - thankfully got enough food in the house for a few days, don't think people will be impressed with me sneezing everywhere.

Cough seems to be a little tickle really as expected after a cold, Elle spoke with her colleague who organises all the covid stuff for the school and the kids safekeeping, she didn't seem too concerned and said okay for Elle to go into work and not to worry.

Booked first event of 2021, Jan 3rd East Hanningfield Self nav marathon, doing with a couple of club mates for a chat and blow the xmas cobwebs off.
  • Options
    Got this from Runthrough. They really are a breath of fresh air in terms of comms relative to my experience with Brighton Mara. for instance. 

We thought we’d drop you all a quick update on the the latest with the ON London Half Marathon at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

As you are probably well aware the situation with Covid-19 and the regulations around it are constantly changing. So we have been working non stop with the venue and all stakeholders, to make sure we do everything we can to give this event the best chance of taking place as planned.

Fortunately the team at RunThrough have organised three 5k & 10k events to date at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park since August with another coming up this Wednesday. The venue has been extremely accommodating and all the additional stakeholders involved for this half marathon event have been positive about the event taking place. Although in order to do so we will have to have additional Covid-19 measures in place that will affect the overall structure of the event rather than our standard hygiene and distancing practices.

The current plan is to go ahead on the 1st Novemberhowever there is a high chance that we will have to break down the event into smaller waves across the whole day. It is not yet confirmed how this will look with regard to start times and assigning runners to waves as we are still waiting on confirmation from a multitude of stakeholders but please be assured we are doing everything in our power to get the best possible outcome for you all. 

We can’t give you any more concrete details at this point but we thought we’d give you an update so you can see the issues we are working through and know we are doing our upmost during this time. 

It would be great in the meantime if you could supply us with your most up to date address for the event so we can prepare your race packs for you!
    TELL US YOUR ADDRESS HERE
    We will update you again as soon as we can confirm the changes taking place for this event (within the next 10 days).

Speak soon,
  • Options
    Rcouture I've done a few runthrough events over the years, always found them well organised.  If anyone is looking for localish races I tend to point them in their direction.  I've seen some of their comms during lockdown and been excellent.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Cal: sorry to hear about your ultra. I'm a fan of homes under the hammer too! 

Shades: hope that your ankle continues to improve. 

BigG: I know what you mean by the slight ache. Heres hoping it's nothing more serious

Robert: I'll cross my fingers that your cough isn't anything more sinister. 

I did 5miles at lunch Today but struggling a little with tiredness. Planning on a dogs walk after I've done the kids bedtimes to get some fresh air and clear my head. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I used to use the rower as my warm up, it's my favourite of all the cardio but I must admit I'm like most others and don't bother with the warm up now when I go in the gym.  :/

Yes, ankle sprains can take a long time to heal, I had mine strapped for races for I think almost 6 months.

I hope you'll be able to find a road marathon in the Spring to do as well as Richmond.

Robert - it's great to see you back enthusiastically entering races, Jan 3rd an early start to your 2021 racing year  :)

Rcouture - that's a lovely email from the race organisers.   You're right, what a lot Brighton could learn from them in how to communicate and treat your customers.   Looks like you'll have wave starts but that's expected these days.

Emmy - I'm not surprised you're tired, children, work, dogs, house, and not forgetting the marathon running.

Another rest day for me, did have some soreness yesterday in my ankle and I wasn't doing anything to aggravate it, just putting the laundry away.   I've decided to rest it today and tomorrow and then do a test run on Friday and if that goes OK then I'll do my half marathon on Sunday.
  • Options
    Shades - What half are you doing on Sunday again? Yes I always assumed that it would be waves since the other Runthrough races have been wave starts as well, including their 10k I did last month. Maybe they just mean that it will be very extended waves all throughout the day. 

7 miles for me yesterday evening in the dark and rain through the common which I enjoyed and my new head torch works well. On the other hand I changed my battery on my Garmin chest HR strap and it’s now not being recognised by the watch. I’ve checked online and seems quite a common fault. Annoying. 

Last week before taper so will try and hit at least 50 miles as long as I don’t get slammed by work/kids. I’ve assumed it’s best to do a two week taper since this is effectively my goal race even though it’s only a half. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm doing Hullavington Half, near Chippenham.

That's annoying about your Garmin chest strap.   I've not had that problem before, have you tried to sync device again to watch?

Re taper, yes do a taper that suits you.   But your training is done so just let it go if you don't do your planned mileage this week .

• Options
    Shades - Yes I’ve synced and re-synced several times. I even tried a different battery so I think it’s something wrong with the connection. When you say the training is done, do you mean that it’s too close to the race for training to have any effect at this stage? I thought it was more like training taking 10 days or so to see the effects?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - what do the various forums say about the problem, they're usually quite informative   Maybe a soft reset on the watch?

My last Garmin froze five minutes before the start of a marathon, I hastily did a soft reset and then it said there were 17 heart rate monitors within the range to sync with, I was standing on the start line at the time so I had to switch it off and just use it as a watch for that event.  

Yes, it takes about 3 weeks for training to have any measurable effect.   You've done plenty of long runs so you know your endurance is strong.