Options

The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander and everyone else who has contributed this year, making this a very friendly and encouraging thread. Hoping you all have a safe and peaceful festive season. And let's hope for a more 'normal' year in 2021!
    Very fine rain for much of my 8' seafront run, but so warm! (Not Dubai-warm!) and still so many people out.
    Thought I'd be able to lift my pace on the return 4' but settled for just one mile at mara. pace! Feeling like a cart-horse today. Probably still recovering from last week.

YTD: 2242'
  • Options
    Shame, Harmander, I'm not allowed to travel so no concrete mixing for me. :D

• Options
    I am somewhat proud that the Sikh Gurdwara in Gravesend is going out to serve free hot meals to the stranded lorry drivers  - proud but feeling a bit guilty in not actually contributing much myself.
  • Options
    That is a good thing to do, Harmander - I bet the drivers appreciate it a lot.
    7 miles today - warm enough for shorts and T-shirt although it's going to get cold from tomorrow so it'll be back to wrapping up.

YTD: 1964
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander what a great thing to do, none of my lorry driving friends are involved (all up here delivering to supermarkets) but they would be so grateful so I am sure everyone else is.

Donnie2 like you running towards my self imposed target!

Cal I went out this morning in two layers, thermal longs, jacket, thermal hat and gloves and was still cold till the third mile 🌧️💨 but I did find these two in one of our local ponds 

8.1 miles before the gym session, 3.04 after!

YTD: 1459.12
  • Options
    Forecast for Wales looked.....interesting (careful choice of words)...so headed out to finish off the 1500 mile target that I've been wanting to do since I found this little forum and group of like minded folks...so thank you all for pushing.
    8 miles of coast path starting in nice weather ended up coming back in wind and rain...very muddy and slow but loved it, just what I needed.
    1503 miles YTD 
    151,020 ft of elevation YTD 
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I've also been motivated by this thread so it's a big thank you from me. 

Started the year with various targets in mind. The first was to achieve the 1000 as is the title of the thread. Always felt barring injury I'd reach that. Target 2 was a PB which would be anything in excess of 1156. Target 3, which I did have an eye on was 1200 (100 per month). From March onwards with the closure of the gym and working from home my running time increased significantly and 1400 came into view. Almost there which equates to 250 miles above anything I've achieved before. Happy. 

Target times: I wanted a parkrun pd which is anything under 22.18, a 45 min 10k, a 1.45 HM and a sub 4 hr marathon. A marathon pd of sub 3hr 54 was also an aim. 

If events had allowed, I think the HM and marathon targets were in my legs, the 10k less so and the parkrun time broader line.

Think I'll keep the same for 2021 with a total mileage of 1400 although that really is my maximum with current committments and if work drifts back to normal will have to work a bit harder to find running time. 

5 to add making, 

Ytd: 1378.8
  • Options
    That looks cold Hobie, I thought it was cold at 7am when the mercury had dropped to 18 degrees. Thankfully my pool is heated for after my run. 5 miles today but a possible half marathon in Ras al Khamaih mid February so will be increasing the miles.

• Options
    YTD 1581.49 miles 
  • Options
    Well Hobie, I did manage a 10K PB in January and equalled my HM PB the same month, then ran an unofficial 5K PB in June. After that it was all downhill, though, with injuries and a general loss of form. Oh well.

Dubai - asked my clubmate what she was doing in Dubai and apparently her parents live there, so she's escaped there for Christmas.

18 degrees is very warm for me but I guess you are acclimatised.

London is back to single digit temps today, plus a very chilly wind, so it was back to jacket and long tights today for my 5 mile recovery run. Just a slow plod - feel better for it though.

YTD: 1969
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... love the pictures but they don't come to mind when I'm thinking..Where shall I run today?
    Harmander...saw your 'meals on wheels' got a good mention in the news. Great job!
    Dubai...I have happy memories of running in Ras al Khaimah about 7 years ago. Remember crossing the river and running around a large lake, near a significant mosque.

Great to have the sunshine again, even if the temp was only just above freezing! A flat 10' along the seafront. Intended four of the return miles to be a progression, but that fizzled out after the third one, and I was well off marathon pace. Never mind. O'all pace was 9:52/mile for the 10'. I'm happy with that. 

YTD: 2252' . 
  • Options
    MrM2, was that the inlet waterway downtown Rak? Can’t think of a river other than the run off from the Hajar mountains. What were you doing there? 

2.5 miles with the wife after work

YTD 1583.99 miles

• Options
    No run Christmas Day for me, up at 0415 for work, will be home early afternoon for champagne in the pool and dinner in the garden.

Merry Christmas all 
  • Options
    Sorry you have to work, Dubai!
    Early doors for me too - out before 6 for a run up to see the central London lights. Another 14 miles logged and back in time for breakfast. Happy Christmas everyone.

YTD: 1983
  • Options
    Merry Christmas everyone.
    Nearly there Cal.

23/12 - 7.25
    24/12 - 10.48
    Christmas Day - 6.40

(24.13)

YTD = 2351.47 miles

Brother (who is in our support bubble) also ran today - as an ageing copper he only managed 2km but did it in 12:31 - quite impressive actually given he had knee problems and plantar issues in the past.

• Options
    Cal, not a biggie. Been doing it for nearly 30 years. Just another day here anyway, can go to the bank and get a hair cut if I wanted. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai...Yes, the main inlet to RAK. I was working on a ship at the time (Logos Hope...a Christian charity ship, taking literature, aid, etc...Known as 'the book ship' and 'manned' by 400 volunteers from up to 60 different countries.) I worked on the ship between 2009 and 2016, for several months at a time, together with Mrs M. My usual position was Chief Mate, but I stood in as Master for a while. I also took on training responsibilities for new recruits, and for the new Deck trainees in particular.
    RAK came after Muscat, Doha, Manama, Abu Dhabi and Dubai (a brief fuel stop). I visited up to 60 ports from Faroe Islands, Caribbean, Philippines, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Singapore, Maldives, Mauritius, Madagascar, Seychelles, East/South/West/North Africa.  A great way to spend some of my retirement years!

Back to Christmas day, 2020. Have a wonderful day everyone. It was the perfect morning for running! (Even more people were out for a swim!!!) Zero degrees when I got out after 8. Planned to run an easy 5 miles but legs wanted to keep going...and at a faster pace than I imagined possible after a couple of plods this week. So, 10k in 57 mins. with the 'middle' 4 miles at 9min pace....and so comfortably easy. I'll take that!

YTD: 2258' .
  • Options
    That's a decent lick, MrM2.

I was intending to do a shortish recovery run today but (while it was very slow), it kind of got out of hand and I ended up doing 10 miles. Quite enjoyed it. Will probably rest tomorrow due to the winds.

YTD: 1993
  • Options
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas day.
    What brilliant gig you got there Dubai - enjoy.
    MrM2 - Its great to have that 'run free' feeling - nice to know what you do/did.
    Cal - so close, sorry to hear you having wind problems - lol.
    Hobie - congrats on the 1500 -almost missed it reading back.
    Donnie - Lets hope your targets are easier to achieve in 2021 
    Thanks TT.
    Wishing everyone a fantastic 2021.

Went out early and enjoyed the 12.10 mile dawdle.

YTD = 2363.57 miles
  • Options
    Harmander, after sprouts, cabbage and Christmas pud, there's a bit of that too. :D
  • Options
    MrM2, that sounds like an interesting, rewarding and worthwhile retirement. 

No run today, although I wanted to. Lost our water last night so wasn't sure I'd be able to shower before work, as it worked out it had to be a dip in the pool and half a can of deodorant!!

• Options
    Boxing day with nothing better to do with my day so an easy (bit hilly) half.

1517 miles YTD 
    152,411 ft of elevation 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Took a few days off because of the weather, was determined to run on Christmas Day till I left church and skidded home on the ice! 

Lovely day today, amazing up here, hard to believe the reports of flooding so I hope all are well and dry.

YTD: 1469.36
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Yes, TT, sorry for all those who are affected by the floods!
    Had to share the promenade with a few thousand others this afternoon. No doubt all glad to see the back of the worst of the wind, and enjoy some December sunshine. So, an 8' plod to finish the week. 

YTD: 2266' .
  • Options
    Hope everyone had a happy Christmas. Like most, ours was quiet!

7.2 on Christmas eve and 10.1 tonight. My first double figure effort for some time. 

Ytd: 1396.1
  • Options
    Well done all. After a rest yesterday (well, I did two walks, but no running, so you know what I mean), I banged out the 7 I needed today.

YTD: 2000 🎉
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... So close to that 1400'!!!
    Cal... Congrats... You've not had an easy year but have persevered. Great job!!!

Possibly running later today, meanwhile I have been checking up on Arthur Postle who was a world record sprinter in the early 1900s. He now has a 'monument' in his home town of Pittsworth, Queensland. Reason for the interest is that our son-in-law is related, and has the same surname (Arthur was a cousin of our son-in-law's grandfather). Yes, I know it is all a bit distant, and he died in 1965, (born in 1881). Sprinting looks a bit different 100 years on!
  • Options
    Cal, great work on the 2000, very impressive. 
    I'm toying with trying to get to 1550...bit short at the moment & weather very much against me.
    1524 miles YTD 
    153,241 ft of elevation 
  • Options
    Am going to flag this because I hate yoga - never known a world class yoga runner.