Options

A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Options
    TT, Comrades is cancelled for this year so my entry rolls over to 12 June 2022. So just 469 days away...
  • Options
    Gorgeous morning run today...bit of road & a bit of coast path...warm sunshine, newborn lambs, daffs, snowdrops and tulips...perfect Spring morning.

356 miles YTD. 

1st Everest of the year done.
  • Options
    Two more runs to chip in; a small 4.5 on Friday and a gambled a 10 today.  Cracking run this morning over a part trail, part sea, part farmland route, but knee isn't great at all, but it's better than it was! so hopefully it's improving slowly. Will know tomorrow after today's 10 no doubt.

YTD = 181.

Glad the trainers are improving Donnie.

Great mileage TT.  What watch may I ask?  I've been running 2 and a bit years and still haven't a GPS watch which is frankly, a bit amateurish.

That is a huge mileage Dubai runner! Sorry you didn't complete your challenge but a 97 mile week is phenomenal.

Great running Hobie, and good deeds too!  Sorry to hear about the family difficulties. My other half's gran is unfortunately in the same situation and it is bloody tough indeed.

MrM2.  Good luck with the move, always a laborious task!  Hope you improve soon.  

Have a good week all.
  • Options
    Wow Dubai, keep it up fella.  If you slow down the others will catch up but you have to keep them hungry.
    Good running and comebacks from the rest.

Thank you all for your messages seeking my progress.

Went for my second session at the osteopath yesterday - was going to be late if I didn't catch the bus and actually ran (about 50m) to catch the bus without thinking - and was pleasantly surprised I did not fall over or collapse.  After the session, I walked over 11 miles during the day - today decided to rest (well did about 5 miles of walking.

I intend to try the 1:10 run/walk tomorrow and see how it goes - have booked a session with the osteopath on Wednesday (just in case).

Vitality Big Half has been moved from 25 April to 22 August - will have donea few races well before then.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: I just couldn't contemplate a 100 mile month, the streak maybe, but those distances never. Well done.

Mr MM: Hope the house move goes well. It sounds the right thing to do although the emotional side of it all must be very demanding. Hope the physical health keeps improving and your running again soon.

Harmander and Cal; fair to say you're taking steps in the right direction?

Some advice needed: Can anyone recommend a pair of neutral trainers in the £100 price bracket. Have used Nike vomero for ages but really struggling with the current pair. They feel to narrow.

Fri night was 10k (6.2 miles) and Saturday tea time was 10.0 making

YTD: 229.0
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Just jumped on to answer questions, rest day. 

LTT the watch that died was a fenix5x sapphire. It was four years old and I used it everyday for GPS. I feel I had a good run with it. Having said that it replaced my fenix3 which my OH is still using six years on. I bought a fenix6x pro. It's fab and does so much that I will never use 🤔🤣

Donnie2 given where you are give Andy at Humber Runner a ring. He has a massive range of shoes and incredible knowledge. Say you know Tanya! He also offers club discounts.
  • Options
    Donnie, I know what it’s like. I’m still searching for a replacement for Saucony Kinvara after Saucony pulled out of the Middle East.

Currently have Nike, Hoka, Adidas and Brooks but nothing as good as Saucony.

Runstreak day 61, 8.39 miles

YTD 420.54 miles

• Options
    Thanks alot TT! Will have a look.

I'm no expert runner! but I have a few pairs of neutral Sauconys (Kinvara, Freedom) and find them incredibly comfortable and ideal width compared to my Nikes, which I too find a bit narrow.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Usual post work 5 mile loop. If trainers can be 'duds' as in no good I think my current pair are. Is there a trainer equivalent to a Friday afternoon car? Now that's a phrase you don't here very often anymore!

TT: thanks for the recommendation, I'll ring him today.

Ytd: 234.0
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Out this morning, it was so cold, and I mean Yorkshire cold!

YTD: 294.85
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I definitely won't be catching Dubai.
    Hamstring tendon did not react favourably to Saturday's 2 mile jaunt so I took another couple of day's rest (just walking) and modified my rehab to be less aggressive.

I was able to get out for a 5K run today, which I left until lunch as I am more sore early morning, even though I prefer to run first thing. I am waiting to see how it reacts to that but so far, so good.

YTD: 333
  • Options
    Good to hear it's on the mend hopefully Cal.
    A couple of lunch time, flat 5 miles at an easy pace for me before the weekends big run.
    366 miles YTD
  • Options
    Excellent Cal,

I ran/walked 5.19 miles as planned yesterday (fist time since 6 January) - still alive but really enjoyed the experience and brought back memories.

31.49 + 5.19 

YTD = 36.68 miles

Will be going for a shorter session today before the park shuts
  • Options
    6.5 miles of trail, very pleasant evening.
    YTD=187.5

Good luck for weekend's run Hobie.
    Positive news Cal and Harmander.
  • Options
    Runstreak day 63

2.3 1.17
    3.3 9.5

YTD 431.21 miles

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander good to see you back, and Cal too! Excellent.

Hobie enjoy this weekend, still in awe of you doing the last one.

Cold and ever so slightly wet, might be back on the treadmill soon.

YTD: 301.38
  • Options
    Evening,

Dubai, Great to see the streak continues, well done on the “epic” mileage.

Cal, Good to see you managed to get out, hope you aren’t to sore.

Harmander, It must have felt great to be out again, but remember to take it easy.

MrM2, Good luck with the move, the area you are moving to is lovely with plenty of trails which hopefully you can enjoy very soon.

TT, Excellent work on passing the 300 mile mark.

Donnie, l personally really like Asics and have never had an uncomfortable pair, l tend to have a budget pair for day to day, with a good pair for races.

Hobie, Glad you enjoyed the swim, you certainly have had some bad weather lately. Good luck for the weekend.

So with RtS over, l have taken a few days off to get match fit for this weekends 4 x 4 x 48, having done a couple of 24 hr events, l think this will be tough.

21.02 - 2
    22.02 - 2.5
    23.02 - 3.25
    24.02 - 3.75
    25.02 - 4.5
    26.02 - 5
    27.02 - 5.75
    28.02 - 6.25

YTD = 285.75

Looking back at this challenge, l might do this again, but add some of the days together to make some longer runs, with nothing over 6.25 miles l certainly feel like a longer run is needed.

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭

I mentioned a change of autumn marathon plan. Family event is leaving me with an used place in the Yorkshire marathon, considered Chester but have now entered Manchester (10th Oct). Anyone run there, any feedback? 

Post work 5 making 

Ytd: 239.0
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Great to see so much good running going on! Sadly, I'm still spectating. Took a gamble on Sunday, as my walking was feeling normal and my stretches seemed good, but didn't get far. Reduced my (ambitious) 5-6 mile test to a 3 mile 'walk/jog' and only managed a couple of brief runs (less than a mile in total) and could feel discomforts in various places! So, need to be patient for a bit longer.

Thanks for all the good wishes for moving. Feel that we are 20 miles into the marathon. And as you know, that is only half-way!! Doing most of the work by myself, and that has hardly helped my physical condition. Still, by this time next week it should all be behind us.

Happy running everyone. Special nod to Hobie for the 4-4-48.
  • Options
    Good luck MrM2. 

Hobie and David good luck for the challenge, think I'd rather do that than the night shifts I have over the next few days. 

Runstreak day 64 and just 5.01 miles on tired legs. 

YTD 436.22 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie, I've done Manchester three times but they've changed the course so there is more city centre). It will be flat, anyway, and they've taken out the boring bit around 20-21 miles where you run past fields with no support. 
    Crowds (pandemic allowing) are very good there. 

MrM2 - sorry you're still crooked, as they say in Aus...and all the best with the missus. I hope you get some respite soon.

I did a 5 mile run today - it wasn't terribly comfortable but it doesn't seem to have done any damage so, as long as it stays as it is, I can keep plugging away. I'm sticking to every other day until it eases up. It was a similar deal with Dorney - didn't run much for two weeks after but then made quick progress so hopefully it'll be the same again.

YTD: 338

• Options
    Best wishes to everyone recovering and well done to all others who are inspiring me to get better faster - yes it was absolutely exhilarating to be out again but I really did restrain my self.
    Would anyone mind if I added them in my prayers in wanting their woes to be resolved? It's best to ask I found.  Sikhs daily prayers end with the line wanting the best for mankind as a whole (not just Sikhs) anyway but it doesn't harm if those you know who are suffering in any way are mentioned.
    Did. 4.25 miles on Tuesday by walking for ten minutes and 'jogging' for one.
     and did the same yesterday but for 10.05 miles.
    I felt absolutely no ill effects so reset the times on TABATA to walk for 8 minutes and 'jog' for 2 minutes today over the same distance - was just 3 minutes faster because I did not want to push it in case I lost what I gained in the recovery.

So,

02/03 - 4.25
    03/03 - 10.05
    04/03 - 10.05

(24.30)

YTD = 60.98

Will keep to 8:2 till next week and lower mileage to strengthen up too
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander good to see you back, hopefully still going well? Cal have you run today?

Sorry Donnie I actually know no-one who has run Manchester! I have entered Yorkshire, assuming that as it starts 28 miles away that is still local.......... (whatever the rules are by October!)

David a good month of running, well done.

Out early, with lots of other people. Progression run, felt fabulous. 

YTD: 310.53
  • Options
    Thanks TT.

LittleNell has run Manchester

• Options
    5.63 miles yesterday - at 6 hour 18 marathon pace

Will bring it down to 4 hour 30 pace pace again eventually

YTD = 65.61 miles
  • Options
    Oh, I did Manchester Piccadilly marathon - (35 years ago) if that helps lol
  • Options
    As you all know, I am old fashioned and avoid gadgets that use gps signals etc.

I relay on the old fashioned cheapo stopwatches/wristwatches etc but just wanted to share the link I have used in the past to measure my (off road in particular) run routes.  It is global too.

http://gb.mapometer.com/
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander, she has - I met her there.
    Amazed you do without a Garmin!

6 miles today - it's still pretty uncomfortable but it isn't getting worse so there's that.

YTD: 342
  • Options
    If Fred Flintstone managed without a Garmin, so can I lol.

Another 5.63 miles today,

YTD = 71.24 miles - was a bit slower today - must be because I am a day older.
  • Options
    Harmander, great to hear you're back up and running, prayers are always useful. 
    Half way through the 4x4x48...starting to feel it now...I worked out 6 routes from home and decided to use the mystery of a dice to decide which the next run would be...so far I've had to do 2 hilly coast path runs (one at 4 in the morning) a couple of fairly flat ones and a couple of loops.

Bring on the next 24 miles.

390 miles