Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, he’s written back and yes it’s the same as previous years as you said. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks for that.   I don't need it to get any harder for me (next year). 😊
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning, looked like it was going to be a lovely sunrise and then the mist came in, chilly too.   Ankle sore for the first half mile today then was OK.

Gym later.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    5-miles for me this morning, really easy pace (131 bpm average) and had an enjoyable run.  Sunny, but cool, so great conditions for me.  Just the 5 this morning as I've got this Zwift race tonight, which will be a very tough session.

Dad’s back in hospital as his foot is infected again, which is really frustrating as he was doing quite well :(   Don’t know how long he’s going to be in for, but when he comes home he’ll be back to square one so it feels like the last 2-3 weeks have been for nothing.  His partner (76) is frazzled and I am too really, as the last few days in particular have been very tough (they don’t live together but she lives across the road).  We need more help/care, which he’ll have to start paying for, but so far he doesn’t want anyone else in the house, so I’m stuck.  I need to keep chipping away at him, which is stressful in itself!  I have ordered a pendant/fall alarm system, which is being installed today.  I think one way forward may be to get a key box, and get ‘roaming night care’, but again he doesn’t want anyone in the house so it’s all incredibly frustrating.  He keeps on saying ‘I hope you don’t get like this when you’re old, as then you’ll understand why I don’t want the help’...I don’t get that argument really, but I’m trying to stay calm and not react too much, but it's like banging my head against a brick wall. 

Trying to spin any positive, the fact he’s back in hospital hopefully means I can crack on with a flat I’ve been doing up, as progress has been very intermittent the last 2 or 3 weeks, as I’ve been over Dad’s quite a lot.  If I had a ‘normal’ job or lived away like I used to, I really don’t know how we'd have got on.  His partner has been doing the bulk of it really, but I suppose I've been doing all the organising of various things (hours on the phone to various departments who don't seem to talk to each other; even within the same department, people don't know what another person is doing), plus visiting a lot of the time during the days to do what I can, and just trying to get through to him that we need more help.  I was hoping in 4-6 weeks we'd have some kind of normality after his operation as he was doing okay but obviously I was wrong, and as I say it'll be back to square one when he gets home.  Really it'll worse than back to square one as the NHS-funded home care will be stopping. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - so sorry to hear your Dad is back in hospital, so frustrating for all of you.   I hope you can persuade him to accept some home care, maybe if he'd accept a trial period and hope that goes well he'd realise that it's needed.

I was talking to my friend last night, she's just about to retire and her elderly parents are now needing her more and more.   Her dad recently had a fall so she's finally now persuaded him to use a walking stick.   But we were discussing how they want to be independent and don't accept that there are things they just can't do any more.   I expect we'll all be stubborn and difficult at that age too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Rcouture - that is standard maranoia for sure. 
    Is DD this weekend peeps? Good luck everyone running.

Not yet had chance to read back but, suffice to say, my run of bad luck continues.
    I thought, after the antibiotics, I'd start to feel better. My gum is no longer sore (dentist still wants to take out that back tooth, though, as it's acting as a food trap) but I had a rough couple of weeks with a sore throat, tight chest, feeling spaced out and very fatigued. Instead of going off to ride coasters with my friends, I ended up at the doctor having tests. Blood tests and chest x-ray came back normal but doc didn't like that my HR had been high on my runs so she's booked me in with a cardiologist in July. I, personally, don't think my heart is the problem, but since my mum had a leaky valve that ended up with her having a stroke, I figure it's a good idea to get it checked out anyway. (I'm not sure what the actual problem is, but I did go through something similar the year I turned 40 and eventually it resolved on its own).
    Anyway, I started feeling a little less awful this week so went to the gym on Tuesday, did 20 mins on the elliptical and some glute/ham stuff and survived. Then did 45 mins on the elliptical yesterday and decided I would try a little run today. I walked a mile to warm up then did 2 miles very slowly. I don't feel amazing and I do feel very unfit but it's a start, anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - so sorry you've been through the wars again and still have a month to wait until you see the cardiologist.   Still best to get checked out.   

Have you tried running with a chest strap (even borrowed) to see that it's not your optical giving high readings?

DD is next weekend, 5th June.    Always first Saturday in June, just in case you want to make a note in your diary.   ;)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No I haven't...I do know the opticals aren't as accurate and did say that to the doc, but I also know I've not been well. It could be I had a bad reaction to the antibiotics, or it could be my body is just having a big hissy fit because I pushed the mileage last year and in January (especially with that hill challenge). The year I turned 40 I was doing a lot of Crossfit-type high intensity workouts. I got sick a lot and had similar episodes of being spacey and off kilter, although again, they couldn't find much wrong with me. It did go away on its own after I went back to slower, more traditional weight training (plus antibiotics to treat cystitis, which was one of the things I got).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - maybe the gum infection has some part in this as you say last time you had cystitis.   

It would be good to know what sets you off with these symptoms, maybe a bit of overtraining on top of an infection.

I only asked about the HRM so perhaps you'd have some reassurance that you HR wasn't quite as high as you thought.

Just take it easy and be kind to yourself.  

Gym was nice and quiet, only 6 people, which means we have a nice relaxing session.   Am upping the weights now, still a long way to go before I get back to where I was last year.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Below is a great interview with Dr Hill from 2011, starting at 38 minutes and lasting about an hour.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sorry to hear about your dad

Cal - Good that you managed to get out for a run 

Last run for me pre race this eve with 4 miles around the park. Would love the current weather on Saturday as not too sunny or warm and no wind. 

I am planning on a slight negative split for the race. Is that too ambitious? I find on long runs that it can take me 4-5 miles to warm up and feel comfortable.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-As you say it is probably nothing but at least if you get it checked you will be certain,good luck.
    Big G-Sorry to hear about your dad,hope he gets the care he needs.
    Rcouture-Good luck on Saturday,you have had a brilliant training block and I'm sure you're going to go well,look forward to the report,it took me a lot of marathons before I learnt how to negative split,it all depends how you are planning the pacing,if you are nearer the fast end of your target then negative may be hard,but if you are in control then it is possible,what I would say is your training has been excellent and I think you're in a really good place.
    First Post windermere run today,7 miles after work,very hot,really hope its not hot for DD.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best Rcoutre, for a negative split you need to feel like you're going too slowly early on, and you need that feeling to last until around 18m if possible. Remember that 1/2 way is 20m. In the later stages theres those that think they can and those that think they cant. Anything around even paced will feel like you are trying far harder towards the end.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Thanks! I hope so

TR - That’s a really useful way of looking at it
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    A great Team Time Trial on Zwift this evening.  A tough session though, I think summarised by a lady from New Zealand on the Discord channel with 3k to go.  I think she thought she was on mute talking to her husband but we all heard her say "Look at my ****in' heart rate!  I'm ****in' dying!"  :D  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse - thanks, I'll bookmark that for later.

Ian - first run since Windermere?   Is your injury playing up?

Forecast for DD at the moment looks good for running, although forecasters are probably focused on the BH weekend right now.   Don't forget some decent sun protection cream this time SPF30 should be the minimum for running, especially at DD as at higher elevations the UV rays are stronger, hat or visor too just in case it's going to be wall to wall sunshine (not forecast right now).   And jacket just in case it's going to be cold/wet.   Actually just pack everything  ;) you might need it.

Rcouture - that's the last run done, you've survived the taper, just a normal rest day now and you're done.  :smiley:
    Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you have a most enjoyable race.    Re pacing, the most important thing is to stay with your pace for the first half, no faster.   However should it turn hot or if it feels hard for any other reason then ease up.   Once you get to halfway the 2nd half of the race will take care of itself.   Don't put too much store in trying for a negative split, many runners that do a negative split do so because they run slower than the pace they should be running in the first half.  The big city marathons are often won with negative splits and that's because they are racing each other.   Some runners stop to go to the loo in the first half and then boast a negative split from the time difference.
    Your main aim tomorrow is to finish and have a good run.

6 hilly miles today, 567ft of climb, so fed up of the flatter routes, clear views of Dartmoor, looking gorgeous.   Ankle a bit sore on the downhills with a strong camber but not too bad.   Lovely morning, double figures 10 degrees and I've finally turned the heating off.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, Emmy who posts on here on occasion has a saying of "bank energy not time".  I.E., if a runner tries to bank time (by going too quickly) in the first half, they pay for it in the second.

7-miles this morning, the first 2 with Tigg and so were quite slow initially, but I had a nice run out.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - is Tigg getting the hang of running with you or does he just want to do dog stuff and stop/start?

Competition here for place in Manchester Marathon, I've not entered as I already have an event that day elsewhere.

Manchester Marathon – 2XU UK
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No it's good now,it was little sore Tuesday so just gave it an extra day to recover.
    I'm on supporting duty that day,hoping to see her in about 4 spots if my tram planning goes well.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, he has moments when he is really good whilst running but it is very dependent on what is around.  On routes he knows, he's started to run ahead of me, which is better, but today there were two cats and two seagulls "taunting" him, so then it's a bit stop/start whilst they're still in his view or memory!  Although I wouldn't want to do it every day, a short run at a slow/stop/start pace is fine as part of a slightly longer run.  It helps with saving some time as it's doing two things in one go (walking him plus me going for a run), and is useful on days when I can't walk to work with OH, which I couldn't today as I needed to be in Torquay to sign for some deliveries.  On days OH is off work, I don't take him for a run.  Talking of seagulls though, he was off the lead the other day and he nearly got one;  I think it's only a matter of time before he gets one, and squirrels are in danger too, as he's incredibly quick.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - glad the leg is OK.

Big G - I wouldn't be sorry if Tigg bagged a seagull but I expect there's a bylaw that might get you a fine  ;)

One morning when I was running on the path by the racecourse a chap was walking 2 beautiful black and white pointers.  Magpies can be really cheeky and one kept taunting one of the pointers by landing in front of it then skipping a few paces then flying off and then doing it again.  The pointer suddenly leapt into the air and managed to get a few feathers, the magpie didn't come back again.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Presume you have seen ultra running world,it's all about DD this time,Jelly has a piece in there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just entered a track 10k at end of June. Apart from a couple of marathons I’ve never done a track race before and think I’ve only been on a track 2 or 3 times for a session, but that was about 5 or 6 years ago. Hopefully DD is out of my legs by then and I don’t pile the weight on before it, so I’ll give it a decent attempt all being well. Currently I’m happy with my weight so fingers crossed and I’m pleased to have something in the diary. There’s a 5K around mid June although entries not open yet, but I may do that one too if I’m quick enough to enter as it’ll probably sell out quickly again. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I've had the email from Ultra Running, for some reason it won't open the FOC copy on my phone.

I might look at it on my PC tomorrow, or I might not, don't really want to be reminded really as I'm a DNS.  :s   I think I read Jelly's report after she ran it.

Big G - didn't you do a 5k on a track or perhaps was just considering doing one?

I take it the 10k is at Exeter.   25 laps  :/

Diamond League is on this evening at 7pm if you want to watch track.   ;)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I got 2 emails,2nd one worked.
    6.5 after work,starting to formulate a pacing plan for next week in my head.
    Big G-Our club usually organises a 5k and 10k track series,hoping it is going ahead this summer.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I would guess that you might be thinking about the pace/effort you did at Windermere as that did you well?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was considering doing a 5k on the track but didn't do it although I can't remember why now.  Yes, this one is at Exeter.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I was thinking a little easier to allow for the longer distance,but I was well in control at Windermere and at 8.15 pace I could definitely have gone further,heart rate was pretty consistent throughout which again shows well.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Big_G said:
    Shades, I was considering doing a 5k on the track but didn't do it although I can't remember why now.  Yes, this one is at Exeter.
    You probably went off and did a marathon somewhere exotic instead   ;)

Ian - I don't think you should be looking at any easier pace than Windermere, you ran well and strong at that pace and as you say felt you could have gone further.   Fuelling will get you further too on the day.  Of course you won't have consistent heart rate at DD, I suggest you don't even look at HR on the way round as even walking the steepest and longest of the hills will take HR very high.

Weather perfect for marathon running this morning, good luck Rcouture.  :)

Rest day for me today which was scheduled but I've done something to my knee.   Fine when running yesterday but I walked down town later had a twinge now and then, nothing to concern me.  But sitting watching the athletics last night the inside of my knee was sore when stretching my legs out on the sofa and also sore to touch as if I'd bruised it.  Sore when I stand and walk too.   Weird as I haven't knocked it and haven't done any leg work in the gym since Wednesday.   Hoping it goes as quickly as it came on.
  • Options
    I er just entered another race. Half next sunday up at Solway. Appears to do the larger loop of the Solway marathon itself. See if i can do it faster than the first half of Windermere ;)