Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    I kind of started with running when I was 16 (typical teenager...wanted to be thin) though I'd do calisthenics too. Then I went to uni and fell in love with the gym. I still ran a bit for fitness but it was mostly lifting from then until my early 40s, when I started doing local races and then got bit by the bug.
    That's good you feel a bit better, TR. (For the record, never could do pull-ups, but I was a monster at dipping - I 'd do reps with one of those belts you could attach plates to on a chain. I put this down to have rather short arms for my height).
  • Options
    Today's parkrun was Chelmsford Central as it's pretty straightforward and it joins a few of my floating Essex parkruns to my London blob. (This only makes sense if you use the Chrome/Firefox Running Challenges add-on which features a lovely map). Anyway, it's a big, busy parkrun (over 600 today), mostly on hard path and mostly flat but has some field-type grass in the middle and one uphill. It is, though, a one lapper (or really, one blob connected to another blob by a long out and back) so while it was busy, it wasn't too congested, like Bushy (it also has a double funnel like Bushy).
    While it's a pretty low bar, I managed my fastest time of the year: 26:55 (also first sub-27 this year. Finally). Nothing to write home about compared to my old times, but it gives me a bit of hope that I can pull myself out of this tailspin. 
    However, I did get beaten by a tree. You read that right - it was a bloke, Rob, who was practising for London next weekend where he'll be attempting a Guinness record for the fastest marathon dressed as, well, a tree. Based on today, I reckon he's got a good shot.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Cal  - essex is a trip ? We have one of those dip belts in the garage (on the dip station).

14m inc 6 ~mp is my usual run for today, on a flat cycle lane by the city. Swapped it to the normal commute and long run lanes just in case my tummy played up as per yday. But means a hilly wu and wd and a lumpy couple of miles in the 6m mp. Anyway 6m at a comparable av and max HR despite lumps and a bit of breeze. Coughed my guts up afterwards, and my legs were too achey late on. one week to get rid of all the mucus.......ripped up stairs carpet, final bathroom tip run and then some other chores......time for a few frothies later.
  • Options
    It's not too bad. About half an hour on the tube and then a 45 min train journey from Liverpool Street. The park is close to the station so it's not one of those where I have a train journey then a run. Now I've done everything within the M25, it's a lot more of a trip to get to a new one. I'll certainly have to cut down with the rising costs of everything, unfortunately.
    That's a very busy day with the 14 miler and the home renovations...I'd take it a bit easier if I were you.

Today I did my last double figures run - 10 miles (P&D suggests 12 but I've done my best marathons off a 10 miler the week before, probably because of relative time on feet). Was cool and sunny, perfect. Started slow (well sluggish - it usually takes a few miles for my legs to get moving) and at 4 miles it already felt like I'd gone a long way. But soon as I started to push the pace it felt a lot better. I finished with three miles around MP, which felt quite challenging, but I was wearing my big squashy Invincibles and I expect it will be easier in my Vapors with a bit of race day magic sprinkled on top. 
    Now to relax.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Quite a trip for a parkrun then cal. Good going today, hopefully you're coming into a bit of form.

I didn't run today, thought it wise to try to get healthy, i can't get any fitter.
  • Options
    I've not been following P&D for this campaign but thought I'd have a nose in here. Nice to see some familiar names :smile:

Cal - I guess you are collecting parkruns? I recently got my son into them (he runs exclusively in our shed on a treadmill). I figured he needed to get out more and see other humans once in a while. He seemed to like the whole experience and ran faster than he thought he would. I did tell him its easier with company but you try telling an 18 year old anything. 

• Options
    Stranger in the camp. Not going to read back loads of posts just yet, or I'll get bogged down and won't post again for ages!  But I'll skim read to get a feel for how we're all doing tomorrow.
    Last time I posted, I was about to head off on holiday.  

August and into September turned out to be a bad patch of training for me.  Just commitments left right and centre meaning I only averaged 22mpw for a long block of 5 weeks.  But the 7 good weeks before that meant I've not been devoid of confidence, and I got into some proper speedwork during this month. 

Last week wasn't great again...  just an 11m run on Tuesday and nothing else until yesterday's Ealing Half Marathon.  That did mean I felt pretty 'tapered' for it and decided to get my fancy expensive Nike cheat shoes out of the box and see what I could do (I've only done 1 park run and 1 marathon in 2019 in those shoes).  

A decent 20 minute warm up. Beautiful conditions.  A Garmin that I knew wouldn't last to half way and so I started behind the 1hr 40 pacers.  Ealing isn't hilly but it's not pancake flat... especially in the first half - and by about mile 8, I'd dropped perhaps a minute behind those pacers. Bu at that 8-mile marker, I decided enough was enough and I'd slowly try to reel in those distance blue flags.  I did catch them just after mile 11 - chatted to them briefly to establish that they were slightly ahead of schedule, so I felt confident I could break 1:40... and soon decided that attack was the best form of defence and moved ahead!  
    Around mile 12, my calf gave me some minor gip and I nursed it a little, but stepped it up again when I got to the final half mile.   Very pleased when I later got my final result to have 1:37:55. Actually my second best ever half... though I've rarely really gone for a properly raced half.  
    Avg pace 7:28. Placed 26th in my age category out of 291... age-graded 71.1%.  Four weeks to Abingdon.  A GFA time of sub 3:20 looks tantalising but be too much of a stretch - especially as my my mileage has been made up of runs under 11 miles - not many longer than that in the last 2 months. If only I had an extra 3 or 4 weeks!  A lot will depend on how my calf reacts.  Needed to rest it today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see SJ

NE - you have time to jam a couple of long runs in. Might save your Abo day.

Cough went a bit backwards yday, today was due to be 6m inc 2mp, i eased off briefly after a few minutes as i wasn't sure it was a good idea, but then cracked on as i need to see what happens. Av 6.35 with reasonable HR, but then had a coughing fit and my chest ached from then on. It's going to end in tears one way or another...........went to the pharmacy and asked for something to clean my lungs up for a marathon on Sunday, he sold me a bottle of medicine and looked at me like I was mad.......wiill see where we are later in week.
  • Options
    saintjason - yeah I'm a parkrun tourist. I started out trying to run every one in London but now I've exhausted everything within the M25 so it's getting more time consuming and expensive. With costs being what they are now, I'll have to slow it down a bit.
    Hopefully your lad will start to appreciate the outdoors a bit more. 
    NE, hope your calf is just one off. Fingers crossed.
    TR, fingers crossed for you too.

5 miles easy today. Tomorrow will be less fun as it'll be a trip to the dentist. Joy.
  • Options
    Good to hear from you NE, especially with news of a decent HM result.
    Well done on the SB parkrun Cal.
    That’s not good TR. At least you’ve an Abo entry as fallback if the chest doesn’t clear.
    Down in Devon at the weekend. Rubbish parkrun Saturday followed by a hilly 17.9M on Sunday to make a 78M week.
    Just the 5M yesterday but a double today: 4.2M w 4x1K on the track at lunch then 10.8M on the forest trails this evening.
  • Options
    Hello!
    Good luck to anyone running London (or anywhere) this Sunday.
    Bye!
    (I'll be back in the spring...hopefully).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best Sunday folks, im out as still got this lurgy and horrible cough......spoke to doctor on phone ydsy who sent me to see a nurse, who called in a doctor after listening to my lungs who said if its no better at the end of next week then I'm to have an x-ray (booked for Friday,), and that i really shouldn't be trying to run a marathon, as i muight set myself back long term, which they are starting to see post CV......he was wondering if i have CV.......my wife  has had it too, we are starting to wonder if its from ripping off the 100yr old plaster in the bathroom, which has irritated our lungs.....who knows......few days off and then try to get going again gently (the first doc was ok with running if it doesn't make chest ache).......means no 2023 gfa as i only made 1/2 way at Brighton due to suspected CV.
  • Options
    Rotten luck TR. Glad you’re listening to the doc’s advice.
    See you in the spring Westy 🤞
    I’ve had a nasty cold since Tuesday night so just ticking over.
  • Options
    Well damn, TR, rotten luck.
  • Options
    That’s rubbish TR, sorry to read it.  I don’t think I would run a marathon with an X-ray looming, certainly wouldn’t enjoy it so I’m sure you’ve taken the right decision.  Small consolation but iirc you’ve picked up some prizes on the way so you know the quality is there.  Take a rest and go from there.

Cal - hope things are smoother with you and Chester.

Jools - loads of lurgy going round here too.  

Picked up my number yesterday.  I’ve managed a few reasonable weeks 50-60mpw but with nothing quick.  Any speed work seems to aggravate stiffness, but no pain so I’m ploughing on as suggested by the physio.  I’ve sneaked a couple of ultras in, slower and with more walking than I’d like but current goals are to make the start and finish lines rather than any time targets.
  • Options
    "Sneaked a couple of ultras in" he says, as if they were parkruns.  :D

Anyway, good luck. Seems I will be enjoying much better weather up here.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    All the best for tomorrow.

Good to see you inching back to it Macca. I'm not worried about the x-ray, it's routine to see a doctor after 3 wks of coughing, it's routine to have an x-ray after 4 wks etc.......i think all the plaster dust has got in my lungs (Possibly combined with lurgy), the lungs are irritated and can't clear. It's more about not pushing compromised/gooey lungs. I skipped all the plaster so breathed in clouds of it, plus we had exposed laths for a week, that were still dusty..........as you say ive had a few days off, will try to get going next week, and if the x-ray is clear, then i can get back to it. I have an Abo number but its only 3 wks away, might be back at Goodwood in December.
  • Options
    Good luck with that TR. 

All the very best to the London runners tomorrow. 
  • Options
    I hope you start to feel better soon, TR.
    Up in Manchester now so did Fletcher Moss parkrun, which is a gently undulating course on gravel trail. Took it relatively easy in 29:12. Chester tomorrow, eeeek!

• Options
    Popping in to wish Cal good luck in Chester tomorrow. 

Get well soon TR and hope to see you at Abo. 
  • Options
    Good luck Cal & Macca.
  • Options
    And to Macca! 
  • Options
    Cheers. Tough race today - kept pace for about 15 miles but legs started to go and it was only sheer bloody mindedness that kept me going during the last few miles. Came in at 4:18:52 which is only 4 minutes off target, so I'm OK with it. Think I need to do more strength work.
  • Options
    Well done Cal. Kudos for grinding it out so well if the legs were going that far out.
    Got my 1st 20M done today: 20.8 in 3:01 so not quick but over 1500’ of climbing. Happy to get it done after 17M yesterday including parkrun, a short fell race & a mountainous MLR. Biggest week of the year in spite of the lurgy - which appears to have admitted defeat & buggered off 😆
    303M in September & a cracking start to October. 😎
  • Options
    What are you training for, Jools? That's a massive weekend.
    The legs were more gradual...a little fatigue and soreness to start with but towards the end they got pretty wobbly and I seemed to have jammed up my left ankle somehow. I also have a massive bruise on my left shin and no recollection as to how it got there.
  • Options
    Another stranger popping in to wave hello 👋🏻 and say well done, Cal.

Like Westy I'll hopefully be back in the spring.

Unlike Macca I sneaked just one ultra in - a 50k trail race with 3000ft of climbing. Just a baby ultra for some but enough to almost kill me 😂 it was a hot August day and the latter part goes through sand dunes with no tree coverage. Numpty here got lost as well and ran a 3k detour 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Running very patchy since then and I'm currently completely grounded with a severe case of bronchitis (I have asthma so this is great fun ...) Couldn't even run to the bus at the mo 🤷🏼‍♀️

Loved seeing Kipchoge hand out medals in London yesterday. What a champ 💪🏻

I'll be back 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well toughed out cal, good stuff

Chicksta - nice to see you

Jools - go easy in the taper (racing wise).
  • Options
    Abingdon in 3 weeks Cal.
    Just the 1 XC race between then & now TR. Relatively flat & firm course, on grass, so shouldn’t trash the legs too badly. Last year I ran it in road shoes it was so dry!
  • Options
    Easy 5M at lunch today after loosening my sore legs off with some foam rolling & stretching in the gym first thing.
  • Options
    Well done, Cal. I think you toughed it out very well 👏.