Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you, NZC! Had wondered how you were! Excellent notching up yet another Rotorua! Are you injury free or just managing things? And Happy Mother's Day!

About 44 minutes here which will be this week's long run! Plenty of cross training in the garden before and after cricket.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Go well WP! 

I'll certainly not mention football . . .

Ran at 8pm today - 5.5 miles steady. I'll probably rest tomorrow, on 31 for the week.

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    NZC: Good to hear you are still active.  Happy Mothers Days & well done on marathon 51. I'm keen to do at least one HM this year if I get myself organised ... and can find one that is flat :).  Not certain my body would survive an full marathon unscathed.
    Graham: Good to hear you too are still keeping active, albeit just short runs.  A lot better than none.
    WP: All the best for tomorrow.  An A for certain!  
    Ale: 44 mins + 2x cross training in the garden sounds a decent day's effort
    TS:  HR 126/137 seems OK with 70m climb included
    Dave: Tiredness not too surprising given the mileages you have been clocking up.  A rest day or two in order?

After only a single outing in almost two weeks, I very hesitantly summed up the courage and did my usual parkrun yesterday.  Only decided at the last minute, partly as it was #400 at Millwater & partly as deferring would mean even more time off.  And even harder to re-establish a good running habit.  Result (25:11) was quite a lot better than I had feared but it was a struggle after the first km or so (HR 155/171).  
    Puts TS's HR figures into perspective!  Forgot to stop watch at end so 27:24 showing on Strava does not look so great!  Max HR clocked up in a little 'sprint' over the last 30-40 m - well sufficient to hold off a W60-64 athletics club member by 2 secs (still trashed me by AG though!).  First M75 ... out of one  :).  Well, at least could claim 2nd M65+ (even 3rd M60+).  Do badly need to get back to full fitness though.  

With 2.4 km warm up, just 7.4 km for the week!   Even worse for the fact that last weeks total was exactly the same :( (all be that with 124 m elevation gain). 

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Alehouse- yep I’m all good but not running much - mainly walking. Mainly for the company- not much fun going out for a run by yourself. Still try to do a long run with the Y on a Sunday but very hard when just stepping up from walking.

Nice running NZD.

• Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    NZC
    good to her from you and to see that you are still turning out at the Rotorua marathon - your son is catching your overall number up :)

Well done on second V70 placing as well - these become quite important no matter how few the opposition!

Nice way to celebrate Mother's Day - hope there are some goodies afterwards

WP
    nice recycling for race number and good luck for today :)

alehouse
    hope the weather was as anticipated!

Turned out lovely here yesterday as well after a fretty start - a trip to Harlow Carr Gardens yielded some plants chosen my Mrs TS which I now have to find room for in already crowded borders.
    Also brought the lawn cut down to summer length which took some doing after all the recent rain.

This morning started bright and warm so ventured out in vest and shorts - a first for this year.
    Garmin said 74 min at 12m/m pace and I did 6.68 miles in 74 min (11:08m/m) with 92m of altitude -HR 126/144

Felt ok, if a little stiff after, and now have aforesaid plants to put in garden :/

Wordle in four after I went for the harder option word.

....  and the Toon aren't going to let it slip are they :'(?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Some will remember my friendly battles with The Flying Pig; sadly he has lost his final battle. In October he was running 25 minutes for 5k, aged 74. He passed away yesterday after a struggle with asbestosis, having spent his life on building sites, mostly as site manager. I first met him in 1974 and in 1982 he ran the London marathon in 2:28...in my name as at the last moment I doubted I would break 2:30. He also supervised the building of both my extensions as well as being a club stalwart. The sort of guy who would do anything for anybody. 
    Very sad indeed but I will try to dwell on the happy times and use him as motivation.

So, fitness suite this morning followed by 5.56k to bring up 36.5k for the week, the highest since post covid. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your friend Ale. Memento mori, even for the apparently fit and healthy - "running 25 minutes for 5k, aged 74" sounds uncomfortably close to home though ...
    TS: Now into one upmanship on Ms Garmin?!  Well done on a solid 6.68 mile x 92m effort.

Back to the estuary circuit this morning (8.15km @ 6:03).  Light rain off & on throughout. HR 135/147 still on the high side :(.  My Ambit 3 gives a 'PL' performance level score, which I gather is related to Vo2max.  I never worked out exactly how but the numbers seem close to Ale & WP's Vo2max figures.  Likewise currently 5 down on when fitter last year (47 vs 52 back then).  Going to have to get it back up to that level at least to have any chance of a new parkrun PB.  
  • Options
    alehouse
    don't recall you mentioning the Flying Pig before but sad news for you.

Unusual nickname but one also shared with a rugby/football playing friend of mine back in the day. He was a No 8 at rugby and goalkeeper in football and it was in the latter that he earned his nickname, as being of a burly build, his dives around the area earned him that title or "le cochon volant" as we were dead posh :)

Well done on the mileage for the week - plus fitness suite work!

NZD
    my thoughts about "close to home" as well!

It's a shame Garmin doesn't have a voice prompt feature like my satnav - a sultry voice saying "you are going too fast, slow down" or more likely "please increase your pace to match the required performance"  :)

Decent pace for your estuary run - my Garmin gives me all sorts of additional data that I rarely look at, and don't always understand it when I do!

The gardening yesterday extended to 6 hours of heavy digging, weeding, pruning and general tidying up - enough to fill one very large builder's rubble bag - so I felt a little stiff, not to say, knackered, this morning.

However a bright sunny start lured me out and I agreed with Garmin on an easy day - so 4+ miles done in 45 min (11:10m/m) with HR 124/139 getting back to normal. ranges for that sort of pace.

Wordle in five today
  • Options
    I actually scrambled to 20.26 miles last week, aided substantially by that longer run yesterday although 32.6 Km looks a lot better :)
  • Options
    alehouse
    I shall be cheering the Foxes on tonight - and at the same time hoping that they are abysmal in a week's time :)
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ale: I do remember you mention your friend in races as an unusual nick name.Sorry to hear of his death.

Race yesterday and the hill is just as bad as I remember it 400ft climbing in first mile and a further 200 feet over the rest of the course.It was hot,hayfever was bad but I made my B goal .53.45 I lost too much time over the first hill.A great day was had lots of laughter and smiles.I was I think 4th from last and I stayed to welcome P over the line in last place who was a spritely 80 years young.
    Sadly the pub which last time was HQ and served good food is empty so no cool drinks post race good job I packed a picnic just incase.

What I need to do is run more hills or mountains at least once a week or fortnight as I really felt the hills this time.My route has less elevation than back at old village so I need to make it  harder.

Recovery run today and legs were aching big time.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well toughed out, WP

A good weekend's work TS: running, gardening and beating Leeds. Hope that your lot are generous in a week's time!

And looks like a decent run, NZD!

Not quite as long here: 7.5k very gently with an average HR of 107 at 6:45 per km, largely off road but pretty flat. Preceded by 2 hours of gardening in my daughter's wilderness. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZD - very good parkrunning after 2 weeks of next to no action.  

TS - 74 mins is excellent, as is sporting the singlet!  Nice four today too, in view of the extreme gardening!  

alehouse - condolences to you.  
                       Decent weekly total, too - building back nicely.

WP - splendid racing - "B" goal achieved is a great result; shame about the pub though! 
               Did the recovery run actually aid recovery ?   ;)

Rested yesterday as planned, and felt much better today with an out and back 7 miles, including a few efforts of varying distance (maybe about 3 miles worth all told). Singlet for me too - although it was hidden beneath a necessary long sleeve top, as the air temp was only 10c, and a cool breeze made the "feels like" temp somewhat cooler. Lovely conditions nonetheless, as the sun was shining in a blue sky at 9am.  

Dave

ps - Wordle in three.
  • Options
    alehouse
    wish they had beaten Leeds :/
    a draw was not really enough..

your HR looks back to near normal over that run- scarcely into triple figures!

WP
    great run over a very tough course - wot no pub at the end?!!

Dave
    I had the best of the weather as it was a lot cooler today - but as you said everything was very bright 
    7mph does very nicely  :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Think my memory is going re the Leeds result, TS!

Wordle in four.

A further couple of hours of gardening; my own garden this time.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Nope no pub unsure if there will be new owners or not a skip was in carpark(9 spaces)

Recovery run always feels good to do but weather it aides recovery is another matter.

I still have aches and pains so PT session is going to be interesting this morning. RHR was elevated yesterday but has dropped this morning to +6 and I have needed a nap on Sunday and Monday!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    sounds like those hills are still in your legs!

Pubs are closing down at an alarming rate despite the best efforts of the Hash to keep them going - we are off to Kirkby Malzeard in the Dales this evening to help another one out

alehouse
    good get into your own garden then!
    Memory - what's that?
    Probably best to forget last night's result as well...

Brief stroll around in glorious sunshine this morning but with a cool breeze taking the edge off temperatures.
    Back home and plants put into prepared bed before breakfast.

Wordle done so quickly in three that I hadn't even had a sup of my (too)  hot choccie!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Point to point 6.5 miles this morning; 50/50 road/trail. Mostly flat, just a 0.75 mile uphill finish. Sunny and bright.

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Love the '6.5 miles ticked off this morning ... sunny and bright' attitude Dave, like it was a 100m stroll in a park (... OK, 100 yd stroll).  Zilch for me this morning, even easier :(.
    Nice week total, TS. 
    WP: a B makes more sense with all that elevation to content with.  OK in training but not so nice in a race.
    Ale: Plenty of gardening here for you after have cleaned up yours, your daughters, and TS's!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in four. 

Run: just over 40 minutes. Gentle. HR ave 106! Preceded by an hour in daughter's wilderness. Long stretch this evening. About to baby sit whilst she goes to Pilates. Can see a lot of baby-sitting coming up: she returns to work on Thursday. 

Was there a match yesterday, TS

I, also, am concerned about the decline of the alehouse. Part of many communities. Should be a major tax change in favour of real ale, in my view. 

Going nicely, WPBirch. Hope to hear of more than zilch, NZD!

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Back on track again this morning ex. gentle prodding from Ale!  Very similar to Tuesday's effort.  A *smidgen* faster (8.14 @ 6:02 vs 6:03!) with alas, a more than compensatory increase in HR (138/151).  Probably due to absence of rain to cool the system down this time but still disappointingly high for the pace.  Or put another way, well reflects my lack fitness/training over the last month or two.  Pace felt 'comfortable' though, despite the high average HR.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dave
    6.5 miles mostly flat - where did you find that :) ?!

NZD
    about time too :)
    HR takes a while to get back to "normal" levels after a period off - if it felt comfortable then it probably was - until tomorrow!

alehouse
    if you are offering gardening services on a more widespread geographical area....
    Looks like you are indeed being lined up for other duties as well :)

Brutal Hash last evening in lovely countryside and perfect weather - only 4.5 miles but without any of the flat stuff Dave was talking about - it was lumpy, some of them big, all the way and my legs felt off from the start - and worse at the end!

However we probably saved the pub for another week with post run refreshment demands ( I was not driving!).

Reluctant to go out this morning so contented myself with 2+ very easy miles - wuss!!

Wordle in four
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I spend too much time in the alehouse, alehouse

Good you got out, NZD.

TS - I was dropped off by my friend and basically followed River Don, on road and trail.

Sounds a rather challenging hash, but very altruistic of you all to support the alehouse . . .

Speed session this morning in warm conditions (short sleeved Tshirt weather).  Six in the group today. 7 miles with miles either side of 4.4K worth of efforts.  

That will be my last speedwork for a fortnight; I'm away from this Friday until Tuesday 30th. Kit will accompany me, but will just be early runs of 30-40 mins I reckon.

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Dave: Enjoy your time away.  A week or two of less demanding maintenance running probably just what is needed to help recharge your batteries.
    TS: Sounds like the easy 2+ miles were well earned.

Slower run around estuary this morning - 8.17 km @ 6:20.  Pretty breezy.  HR (128/138) down a notch but still a good way to go to match where it was at six months ago.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Dave: Enjoy your time away sounds like somewhere tropical.

NZD: I am sure you will do it and a nice run this morning.

Yesterday was 42 minute run all easy legs still not my own.

This morning an hours run and legs feeling more like mine which is good to see.A nice breeze before it gets too hot.

Sunday's race was in local paper and my name was there.......only because i was 4th in age group,less impressive there was only 5 of us and 5th was P an over 80 year old.Yes everyone lumped in the over 50 group.Less over 50's this year as in 2019 I was 5th out 10 in same group.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dave 
    enjoy the holiday - hope you have good weather B)
    Well deserved after all your interval sessions

Just heard from a friend in Italy where it has been raining all week!!

NZD
    steady is good whilst building back up

WP
    oohherr - name in paper :)
    Don't bother about how many - just where you were!

Garmin decided to ignore my enfeebled state and gave me 4 x9min at 10:00m/m pace with 10 min warm up/down either side.
    Gave up after 2 intervals at the requisite pace as I had enough - nothing in the legs. I suspect that bug/infection is still lingering :/

Can't stop yawning now and feel very sleepy = a power nap may be in order.

Wordle in three - after only one letter in two and in the wrong place but most options were closed off
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Solid jaunt, NZD.

4th in Age Group is a splendid result, WP - I'm with TS on this!  Nice that legs are "back", too. 

Yours not quite, it seems, TS!  Thinking of a nap here, too, as a late night occurred last night, and our flight tomorrow is at 05:50 from East Mids, so a 4am or thereabouts checkin!  

Final run in blighty for a while this morning - a 5.5 mile trundle - my legs feeling the efforts from yesterday. 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Birch, about a week ago I said Wednesday would win on penalties, not that I really believed it...Amazing match. Qué Sera. 

Last couple of runs have been gentle 40 minutes or so. And Wordle has been four each day.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable, alehouse - the footy that is, not your 2 x 40mins . . .
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    alehouse
    please can I have your Lottery number picks for this weekend :)

Dave
    hope you made the plane after all that excitement!!
    What a way to go through - and now to do it all again.

I only saw the last few minutes of normal time and then the rest as I, understandably, was engrossed in another game until it finished.  It too had its epic bits in it as well so a good evening all round.

alehouse
    'fraid I can't have divided loyalties on Monday evening's outcome ...

well Garmin does have a heart - recommendation for today was "Rest, or very light workout so as to be rested for more intense activities".
    I was still feeling orf so I did just that with 2.1 miles at a very sedate pace indeed in light but pleasant rain.

Wordle in five