Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Mick! A little frustrating though.

Yes, those two athletes falling was strange. Wonder if they caught their spikes in the surface when tired. Watched KJT on my phone at Old Trafford where I watched the Originals thrash the Leeds based franchise!

Legs were a little better for yesterday's half an hour,  and better still for today's 52 minutes. And I only had two pints of Welsh ale, TS!

Wordle: five yesterday and two today. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Mick: Good to hear from you. The plateauing will be frustrating though probably not entirely unexpected.  Hopefully all well at your next update, with no further chemo required.
    TS: Blackened foot does not sound good. Hope that gets sorted with a change in splints on Thur.
    Ale: A positive 52 min run will be much welcomed.  All up from here?
    WP: Perhaps a response to your previous day's effort?  I know the tired feeling though.  Very tempted to rollover and go back to sleep this morning, despite already having had nominally 8 hrs.

Thanks Mick, Ale & TS for comments re the HR profiles.  I think a mix of all of what you said - tired/stiff legs as well as perceived vs actual max I could have pushed. I did hold back a little at the start in the hope I might not fade as quickly as usual but not certain it did help much.  I know I should be more positive.  It was the fastest by more than a minute out of 43  M75-79 parkrun finish times across NZ on Sat (5+ mins for all but two of those).  More a case of comparing to where I should/could be at (if more diligent with training, a la Ale & Dave!) 

Easier pace run around estuary this morning; 8.3km @ 6:09, HR 124/137.  Upped the pace a little over the second half but hamstrings complaining after Sat, so no strides.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    On way back from run I stopped to check mail in our PO Box and near where I parked was surprised to see a good size tomato plant in flower. Growing outside in the depths of winter, albeit in a nice sunny spot. Across road from the beach so frost v. unlikely. Have never seen that in August before.  I guess a testament to the mostly mild winter temperatures this year ... courtesy of all the rain we have had :(.   Likely self-sown.  Restaurants close by.

• Options
    NZD
    ... and in flower?!
    Must have been transplanted from the northern hemisphere.

Having said that the last time I tried to grow tomatoes outdoors they hadn't fully ripened before the frosts came :/

Your overall standing in the Ag shows you are doing something right despite the HR profile - or ,maybe, because of it.

HR isn't the be all of performance as underlying issues can affect it by a few beats either way and 5K's are notoriously difficult to get right pacwwise.
    Too fast off in the first K and the early time gain is lost as lactate kicks in, too slow and one can't increase the pace enough to make it up later on.

Run this morning looks perfectly fine even with no strides.

The black foot is better than it looks, it's just where the blood collects from the op site by gravity before eventually being dispersed !

alehouse
    too little ale then?!

Better outing for you yesterday and 50+ min is ideal.

Off to see the outpatient nurse now to get dressings changed for Mrs TS and make sure the wound is healing nicely and then on Thursday it's back to see the trauma team for an appraisal of progress and potential way forward - I know, why can't they both be on the same day?

Wordle in four after getting first, third and fifth letters in the right place in one - lots of options!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle fail: had first, second, third and fifth in the right place after two, then too many options!

Decent ranking, NZD!  

Yes, one would think that it would be easy to co-ordinate appointments, TS!

Just over 30 minutes off road today, getting rather wet in the process. Fairly gentle run and felt better at the end than I did in the first half mile or so. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Maybe  it would over tire Mrs TS?

NZD: What a find and they are in flower.

Yesterday  an hours running nice and easy.
    Today is PT session a new block so new exercises and sit ups to finish as well.Then a short run 30 minutes-strangely legs were a little jelly like :) I think it was the weighted squats going as low as I could go.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    sunny over here - the rain must be punishment for the cricket result!

Good way to end a run.

WP
    nope - just bad management. To top it all we had a call from the physio department asking her to come in before the trauma team review to start treatment!!

Looks like you are back in the same old/new routine :)

Talking of appointments - you may recall my mutterings about BMW when they sent me a safety recall letter and when I rang up it was about a 6 month wait.
    Well I got another recall letter this morning from them - or at least it is not a recall but a "product quality measure"!
    Apparently the replacement part that was fitted previously, the ECR Cooler monitor,  can cause problems not limited to
    • displaying a false coolant level
    • check engine light coming on
    • experience loss of power
    •  smell of exhaust gas and a whistling noise
    • smoke coming from the engine bay
    If any of these symptoms occur I am to take my car in immediately!

However if they don't occur please wait until the new part is available which may be up to 12 months!!!
  • Options
    ... looks around :)

nothing much to report - brief stroll and wordle in five
  • Options
    Hello TS

How is the nurse bearing up?

Today an hours running all very easy.Garmin wanted a Tempo run...I just laughed in her face.
    Numerous aches in legs and stabbing pain in heel .But think the heel is because I have ben on feet for run and walk maybe 2.5 hours so need to rest them feet.

Wordle fail today :o
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle fail here as well! Would have got it in seven! 

2k very gentle after the rain stopped, and then into another 8k at around 6 minute per km...getting very wet in the process, again! HR was a little high for the effort: 119 bpm which I rarely get up to in training. Resting HR seems ok but will keep an eye on things!

Annoying news from BMW, TS!

Birch

Off to a double header at Old Trafford shortly. Waterproofs may be needed. 
  • Options
    WP
    the nurse is tired although I have managed to reduce my stair altitude training

Your Garmin is a "she" - mine definitely a "he" 

Sat Nav in car is a "she" though :)

lehouse
    sounds a nice day out - not!
    no rain again this side..

10K is a good day out :)  Must have been the cooling effects of the rain that elevated the HR..

That was the second wordle in a few days with a double use of two letters  - they can be tricky!
  • Options
    Ts: Our sat nav is a she Gertie,Garmintrude is the garmin :D

Good new on less stair altitude training better on the knees.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS, WP,
    My Garmin is male but identifies as female and likes to be refered to as it.

I've just been watching the world's, awesome!
    One regret in life that I never had the chance to run track as a teenager. The first time I stepped onto a track I was in my 30s. I always wonder if I had any talent as I coached myself to a 32 min 10k in my mid 30s.
    Mick
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS, WP, Mick: Never thought about gender for either but have mostly had a female voice in car nav. No doubt some deep psychological significance.
    Good 8k effort, Ale. HR 119 seems very good for that pace.
    Mick, clearly coaching as well as running talent.

Similar run to Tuesday, but with several strides thrown in; 8.3km @ 6:04, HR 126/145.  R hamstring still not happy.
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Mick
    Josh Kerr :)!!

I get emails from a leading firm of solicitors and in the name block they have a choice of "he/she/they/them/other " for self identification :/

I ran track at school  in all distances up to the mile and indeed ran 1/2 and 1 mile at inter-county level although I rarely trained for it - once a week was about the max - as I much preferred shorter stuff.

When distance running more seriously in my mid, late 30's I used to do track sessions at Gateshead Stadium.
    I may have told this before, but anyway, legendary coach Stan Long was employed there, and he saw me doing ( to my mind, fast) 400m reps. Imagine this in a broad Geordie accent - 
    "ay lad, that were canny good, you would've make a good runner - if ya'd cum doon here aboot 20 yars ago"  :)

NZD
    I am sure there is a hint of aspersity in my car's sat nav when "she" says - "perform a U turn when possible"!

Watch that hamstring - a bit of foam roller or tennis ball massage may not come amiss to try and ease out any knotty problems.

Off to hospital shortly for another MRs TS appointment - if there is anyone to see her with another consultant strike.

Better news was my g'daughter excitedly dashing in early this morning to show off her GCSE results - all 8's or 9's apart from German with a 6 - for which I properly castigated her  :).
    She want to become a doctor...

Wordle in five - sums up this post  :)

• Options
    I was also thinking Josh Kerr.
    Mick: do you have a masters track racing in Canada? If you could coach me to a 32 minute 10k you would be world class coach.....LOL

Well done to Granddaughter and good luck to mrs TS today.
    Love the stories :)

As it happened I ran 400m reps around the park path today  with 2 minutes recovery and 10 of them.First time this year and hard going on your own.Aiming for 2.39
    first 5 with jog recoveries but the jogging bit was too fast so last 5 with walk recovery

Hopefully they will get better the more I do them.

5 miles with warm up and cool down.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see some reps, WP! Just need to do them consistently for a few months or more! I should do the same!

Yes, hope that you are sitting on something, NZD, and I don't mean a chair!

Cross country from the age of eleven, then regular track from about thirteen. 

Cricket yesterday: women's followed by the first half of the men's, leaving to get home to watch the 1500. Then to the alehouse to watch the rest of the cricket!

Just over 30 minutes today at a similar pace to yesterday's 10k. I don't understand how Garmin (neither a he nor a she) can say that yesterday was unproductive yet today's was productive. Is it because the average HR was 111 rather than 119?  Inevitably got wet again, with the rain coming down within a couple of minutes of starting. 

Wordle in four.
  • Options
    WP
    ooohh - intervals - and lots of them :)!  Good going and a nice move to walk recoveries as well.

alehouse
    busy sports day
    I guess Garmin was indeed using your HR levels to determine whether it was productive/unproductive.  You have to get above its HR baseline for it to recognise effort :)

I wear mine occasionally when promenading around and it tells a similar tale as my HR never gets above 100, indeed it is rarely above 80bpm

Mrs TS did well at the hospital - op was pronounced a success and good healing had taken place.

The rigid "cricket pad" splint has been taken off and replaced with one which has a variable adjustment on the knee to start the rehab process - 6-12 months :/

Some more great athletics - marred slightly by the two buggies carrying athletes crashing!!

Wordle in four today

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad all is progressing on the patient front, TS!

An unproductive 6k this morning,  largely off road. Suspect Garmin can't factor in the surface.  

Wordle in five. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'm still here, but been busy this week (excuses again)!!  

Good to hear MrsTS progressing - notwithstanding the long rehab! More stair workouts to come . . .    

Exciting to see WP starting speedier work . . .  

Dry over here, alehouse (in the weather, rather than alehouse, sense) :)   

Still been getting out here; solo speed session on Wed (5 x 900m), easy/steady effort remainder of week, with a pleasing 10.5 miles today. Will rest tomorrow and do longer road efforts on Sunday, which will fit nicely, as have bank Hol Monday plans, so that too will be a day off running.  

Just entering Sheffield 10K - filled all relevant fields in, entered card details, but won't let me proceed until I've opened an account.  I don't want an account, I simply want to enter this race!  Is this common these days?    Didn't proceed, but I may have to, as I fancied this - I haven't raced in my home city for a few years now.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Good to hear that you are going to pin a number on, Birch! A month to get fit! (Although I am sure that you are!)

Managed to stay dry for today's outing, although did consider gloves. Actually glad that I didn't wear them in the end. Just under 40 minutes. Out and back coming back more quickly than I went out.

Noticed another parkrun course record from NZC!

Wordle in six.
  • Options
    Dave
    good week booked there - that should serve you well for your 10K

Hope the race avoids some of Sheffield's more notorious hills!!

I think the account process is so that you can be pestered with follow up emails etc from the organisers, various sponsors, charities etc for similar events

I still get loads from the GNR HM organisers from a registration 3 years ago!

alehouse
    good that you managed to dodge the rain for one day at least :)

I thought gloves might have been a bit extreme but I was confronted by a brisk, cool breeze this morning an dhurridly went back in for a light fleece!!

Wordle in four yesterday and three today

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Wordle in four today. 

Any progress with the knee, do you think TS?

Just under 6k after a stretch in the fitness suite,  to bring up  just under 47km for the week, the highest since Covid at the end of February.  Need similar every week if I am going to make 2023k in 2023! Have managed to stay dry two days in a row, although on both days I had to delay the run.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Dave: Bitten the bullet and registered now?  Yes, they will keep pestering you for years to come but presumably you can unsubscribe.  I still get 'pestered' ex sign up for Bermuda HM four & a half years ago but it was never overwhelming and now relatively infrequent.
    Good week Ale.
    TS: Good to hear patient is progressing.  Daunting recovery though :(.  Your knee?  
    WP: Great reps session.  Something I do need to incorporate (along with 'consistency'!)

No weekend running :(, though a reasonable amount of xtraining around the property (belated pruning fruit trees & other).  OH has a nasty cold and it seemed I was coming down with it on Sat morning.  Dosed up on Day & Night and, fingers crossed, seem to have escaped so far (off the Day & Night since Sun morning).

Unintended faster estuary run this morning (8.3km @ 5:43, HR 131/148.  Fastest km 5:10).  R hamstring still a little iffy but remained stable.  Had intended a slower pace run but despite the hamstring, felt good & conditions presumably 'just right' (a sunny but chilly start at ~8C, though). Pushed a bit harder over the back half but felt comfortable throughout.
  • Options
    Sadly Covid hit here so second rest day hoping I am back on the roads soon!!

NZD: Hope it is just a cold for Mrs NZD also you do not catch it.Sounds like a good run this morning for you.

Dave It is usual so they can hit you with further emails about race.Good luck and exciting all rolled into one.
    Ale: Hope it stays dry for your run.

TS:Hope your knee and Mrs TS are doing okay?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    so the webbed feet are n ot growing so quickly :)?
    Good week for you despite the rain and nice to have that base established.

NZD
    Day & NIght?  What you need is Laphroaig 10 year malt in liberal quantities - then you can't feel if you have cold or not!!

I had to make sure that you had said ~8C and not -8C :)
    Pushed the pace along quite nicely in your outing and reflected in your higher HR output. 
    Pleased the hamstring is holding up - those naggles can turn nasty quite quickly however

WP
    oh dear - that's bad news.  There is a new strain around that is giving rise to increased numbers and some concern that it could get worse. 
    Vaccination does not appear to be keeping pace with the potential threat  unfortunately.

The patient is doing well thanks - slow progress, but progress and is becoming more adept at using the walking crutches - and not just for hitting me with :)

My knee is holding up, thanks.  Still likes to remind me that it is there - worse, a lot worse, when I have been sitting with the knee bent at 90 degrees and then try and stand - furniture grabbing time - but I will get something booked in shortly once I can leave Mrs TS safely although having said that it's like looking after a toddler who always wants to be on their feet and doing things:)

Least said about the football yesterday, and the rugby the day before, the better!!!!!!

Wordle in three today
  • Options
    Dave Just read RW September  issue a 2 page article on Percy Pud. :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your news, WP. As I said elsewhere, be careful!

Good to hear what seems like progress on both the knee and patient front, TS!

Managed to stay largely dry on today's outing: 33 minutes which I felt was unproductive but Garmin said "maintaining". Was a real plod. 

I won't mention football or the oval shaped ball either, except to say Mick's team have started well. 

Wordle in four. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    you must have tipped over the line into "maintaining"  :) - a sight I often saw on my Garmin.

I wouldn't say it was progress on my knee - the furniture grab is pretty constant!

However I did a brisk walk this morning and it felt better ...until I stopped then it seized up very sharpish.

Wordle in three today
  • Options
    Since my new Garmin I have had over reaching till it got to know me then Productive.Until this morning I am peaking :) but only because I have not run in three days.

I have gone for a walk 45 minutes and first time out.I am hoping by weekend to be a lot better.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression