Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    You were obviously out running Ian, but the Manchester commentary was very good. He had a lot of interesting things to say about the front runners, the course, and was talking about what regular runners may go through. This seems very poor in comparison. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That's good,especially as I presume it was organised by themselves.Apart from London the coverage of most races is pretty poor I find.
    I'm looking at doing Rottterdam as my spring next year,anyone done that?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve done Rotterdam, Ian. It’s flat and fast, but personally I had issues with the logistics. I had a start wave towards the front but when I did it, the baggage was at the back of the race, and I had to fight through a lot of people to get towards the front. And the start area wasn’t closed to spectators so it was not easy. Don’t know if that has changed since I did it. Quite a lot of the course has little support, if that’s an issue. Rotterdam itself is very good though, very different to Amsterdam, but I liked it. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Manchester marathon was on YouTube so you can still watch it.  😉  As Big G said the commentary was very good.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thanks I'll look into it a bit more then,not too worried about the crowds but want an easy day as it would probably be our target race.
    Shades-I have to wait for an engineer tomorrow morning so will have a watch of it.
    Sadly looks like a clubmate has pulled out injured at Boston
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - oh that's a shame for you clubmate. 😕 

When I'm finally back running marathons I'm going to treat myself to an overseas marathon with a sports tour company, most likely to somewhere I wouldn't think of travelling to .   Just been looking at Albania 🙃
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That's certainly a place I wouldn't have considered running.
    The refund company emailed back saying its needs to be a physician,so I emailed back explaining how we get referred to physios here with the report,and they emailed back accepting my refund request,really quick service.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good you could argue the case satisfactorily to get your refund.

Albania would never have been on my radar either.   I was looking at Running Crazy to see what they had for their tours.   It won't be this year anyway.

5+ miles this morning, bitterly cold wind on my return run.

Gym later.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that’s good news on the refund. 

I can’t believe it, but I was really hobbling last night and still this morning. Can hardly put weight on it today. So frustrating. I thought I was being sensible - I’d done a few 5 mile walks, including about 12 miles in one day, haven’t ran a step for 4 weeks. Yesterday was only 5 miles, and not all running either, but today it’s really bad. As in back to square one bad!  Not sure I can take much more to be honest, coming up two years now. Starting to wonder if I need a different hobby!

But, I’ve contacted podiatrist today to try and get a shockwave appointment although it must be an underlying issue that is causing this, but I don’t know how to get to the bottom of that, as I’m doing everything (and more) that I was previously advised. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh no, so sorry to hear that your foot has reacted so badly to yesterday's run.   It does sound like there's something else than PF going on.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Really sorry  to hear that,was hoping after yesterday you were going to be able to get going again.
    Refund already in bank,super fast service.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’m seeing a private person who has been recommended to me before at 9am Monday. He was a physio and chiropractor for a pro football team, and has shockwave and other things at his practice. I have said I’m not totally sure it’s only PF, so I am expecting he’ll do a check further up into knees, lower back etc, to see what he finds and if there is some underlying issue further up. Not cheap (£90 initial consultation with one shockwave if felt necessary, £60 if not, but it’ll take weeks to get in via NHS again for podiatry).  It’s eased off a bit now with ibuprofen gel and paracetamol, but I’m not going to run again before the appointment.  Other options available around insoles still, but as I said I want more confidence they’ll help - if this chap happens to say he thinks they’ll help me after his assessment, I’ll consider it then. One step at a time though.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - the wait for NHS services isn't improving.    One of the guys in my pilates class also has sciatica and each week we have a little catch up/moan/whinge.   He's already wasted money going to a chiropractor and finally is seeing NHS  physio this week after a 2 month wait, he's in much more discomfort than I am.

I think you've made the right decision to progress to looking for treatment  in the private sector. 

I've bookmarked a physio in Tavistock for when/if I next need one.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did contact the NHS seeing if I could skip the seeing the GP bit of the process, to see if I could get an idea of when I may be seen by the podiatrist.  But because it’s been so long since I went, they’re treating it as a new case, so it would have been back to square 1 with that and have to go via a GP referral. I was imagining that they’d get me on the stretching routine first for a few weeks too, which of course I’ve been doing anyway. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - not much point going down that route again.   You could probably teach classes in the required stretches and massage for PF now.   You need a fresh view/diagnosis/treatment plan. 

Just been food shopping (Aldi) and a nice little very lightweight running jacket fell into my trolley.   I think they had running socks too but I stayed away from them as my sock drawer does not have room for even one more pair.  😉
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm also interested in a Scottish marathon, but having done Edinburgh half wouldn't do the full. I have looked at Loch Ness though.

Still not feeling great, was coughing a lot yesterday, but did 7m with 2m at MP today (6:55/6:53), HR a bit higher than I'd like, but probably ran those MP miles a bit too fast. Feeling better today than yesterday, so will see how I feel later in the week before deciding on Sunday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve  - can highly recommend Loch Ness marathon. 

Maybe best to back off training and see if you can shake off that cough before the weekend. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6+ miles today, brisk wind but not as bad as yesterday.   

Gym later.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, I’ve done Loch Ness a couple of times and it’s a great race. In terms of packing though, weather can be unpredictable at the start (which runners are bussed to), so take items you don’t mind throwing at the start line. I still think that was possibly the most knackered I’ve been after a well judged/paced race for some reason. 

Foot feels a bit better today and I’ve been for a short walk with the dog, whereas yesterday I didn’t leave the house as I wanted it to calm down a bit. As I said, I’m not running until Monday, but I’m pleased to at least be able to walk a bit better today!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A bit of controversy in the UK ultra world as it looks like MudCrew’s Arc of Attrition ultra has sold out to UTMB, although still being organised by the original team. I say ‘controversy’ as I think a decent subset of ultra runners don’t like what UTMB/Ironman bring to the sport.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good the foot pain has eased a bit.

Re the ultra, that may have been the only option to save the event (financially).
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - I saw that too, like Shades says they may have needed to do it, as UTMB do have the deep pockets!
    Shades - I did think about taking a break, but it doesn't seem as bad, so just going to train through I think. While I'd like to give this half a good shot, it's not my main goal, so if I have to run at say MP instead of race pace, I've no issue with that.

6 miles this morning and 4 miles planned for later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve  - you may well be a lot better by Sunday too.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  and Steve  - Scottish marathons, there used to be a Moray  marathon but it was discontinued before I got a chance to run it.

Good to see it's coming back this year.  On my wish list now.

https://www.moray-marathon.co.uk/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Abandoned my run after half a mile, too cold for me and I could feel my back tensing up due to the temperature.   We have a frost and it's a 'feels like' -1.   My back is slowly getting better and I've had 3 consecutive nights without any pain so I don't want a setback right now.   Annoying as I faffed around for ages making sure I had plenty of warm kit on. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That looks another good one to add to the (long, and will never to get to the bottom of) list, Shades. I’d like to go up in the van do one, if possible. But haven’t thought much more of it than that really. Sorry to hear about your abandoned run, but as you say you’re doing well and don’t want a setback now. Can I ask, have you got a plan as such - ie, have you got an actual plan written out on a spreadsheet - in terms of trying to up your mileage slowly, or are you taking it day by day, week by week?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - at the moment I only plan my mileage a week in advance as I can't 'force' myself to run longer just because I'd like to.    I'm averaging about 30 miles a week now, 37 being the most recent peak, but gym is going well and my pace is gradually improving too.

Worth popping over to Fetch and read Synge's blog, he went to Oscar's funeral yesterday, very moving.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, yeah, I saw that from Synge. He’s such a great writer. He’s recently joined Motleys (as well as being a Trotter for a few years now) and I think he’s been out on a few runs with them. I didn’t know Scott well having only met him 3 or 4 times, but knew him from Fetch, but actually the news hit me.  51 years old, done quite a lot few marathons/ultras, aiming for a good time this year, and then suddenly no longer here.  I saw it on the DD group, contacted Ian (Fetch) and he blogged about the news.  Pretty sure Chair went up to the funeral as well. It’s one of those, I blogged on Fetch one time and Scott commented that we should meet up for a run some time, but I never got around to it. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    London GFA's...

I was reading Sophie Raworth's article in RW.   She had discussed GFA applicants with Hugh Brasher.   He said that over 1,000 applications were unlucky this time and that was the highest number of rejections.   He puts the improvement in times, therefore more GFA applications down to the use of super shoes.  IMHO the reduced number of club places is also a factor as many runners now trying for GFA times as their chances of a club place is reduced.   Looks like they will be tightening up the times even further in future years. 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Anyone have issues  with consent page like it was stuck on loop.
    Driving me nuts.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression