Options

First 1/2 Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, some good times in well run LMH, you will be beating 2 hours for HM very shortly now! Good tome as well RB
    Your run sounds hilly Fifi! waiting on RHG's time from there

Watford was also hilly, not undulating as described, very hard, uneven surface on occassion as well
    Set off with the aim of doing 7 and a half minute miles for a while and just see how things go. I was being paced by Big Pony, who has done a 1 28 half, so i was a bit nervous of blowing up, but we kept to the pace nicely and hit half way in just over 49 mins so right on track. Unfortunately at that point he was beiginning to feel his IB and had to drop back and I had to run the rest of the race alone
    There were a couple more very tough hills in the second half, and was a bit hard to judge pace with no pacer, and my normal watch which amuses Mark*W

Anyway i just kept going at what i thought was about right, I got stronger over the last 2 miles or so and in fact did a nice negative split of about 49 and a half for first half and 47 and a half for second half, crossed the line in an official time of 1 37 33 , but was probably about 25 seconds better from the actual start line, so i nearly broke 1 37 really

A PB by 3 mins and very pleasing after losing my experienced pacer

I actually finished 379th out of 2000 runners so made the top 20%

Now about to jump and wallow in a deep hot bath!

Oh and RB my tapering was perfection as usual, i got horribly drunk Friday night, had the hangover from hell, and had to return to bed for most of saturday before going footy, which was truly dire!
    Then had a bottle of wine and some cocktails last night if I tapered properly maybe i would run a bit faster, but it wouldnt be the same would it!!!

Maybe I will write my guide to alternative tapering!
  • Options
    Nice run TB - well done on the pb. How the hell you manage those times beats me but maybe one day - i'll get closer to them (doubt i'll ever be that fast though).
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Well done TB!

I was probably in the bottom 20%, but still I'm dead chuffed with my time for a first half - 2:18.

I quite liked the course, hilly but not as bad as I thought. Probably good that I train where there are killer hills.

I am sooooooooooooo happy!

Reading - bring it on!!
  • Options
    Well run Fifi and TB.

I'm pleased with my time but believe it or not I was faster over the first six miles at BM.:-(

Mind you - as Mark said, BM was flat and whilst Dewsbury wasn't hilly it did have a steady incline - good job it was on the way out!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    I did the same as Fifi plus about 15 secs, I don't know can't trust anyone to stay with you ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the race Fifi, pick a flat one next time and you'll be on for 60 mins pretty soon I should think.

Well run you Dewsbury people and TB and BB, as you say,

Reading bring it on!!!
  • Options
    Well Done Fifi, RHG and TB

Well' Due to my lack of technology, there are no splits from the JARS household, but

Mr JARS
    5k 22 something
    10k 43.20 on the official time!

His first 10k, so very proud of himself

Ms JARS
    5k 32 something
    10k 63.21

A pb of 6 mins for me so delighted!

Thank you to Robin Hood who ran with me to about 7k (sorry for embarrasing you by shouting Go Tracey Morris when she went past!)
    I went off on my own then, and pushed a bit, and felt tired then at 9k, but I am pleased!

Really nice to meet the forumites, wish I was going to trail plus, you will have a great weekend!!

Training for Doncaster will officially commence after a bottle of Cava tonight ( god bless the CO OP )

A big Thank you to you all, I have gained so much confidence and knowledge from your comments!!

And to cap it all, Ireland beat Italy

No mention of yesterday's result!!

Have a good evening all!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to go on so long.....and I haven't even started on the cava yet!
  • Options
    BB - well done on your first half. Glad to see you've been well and truly bitten by the bug.

Jars - you go on as much as you want - you earnt it today.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JARS bloody fantastic!!! the next one will hold no fear for you now!! And well done to your Mr too!!! Enjoy the Cava.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Looks like everyone has had good days!! Virtually PB's alround by the look of it, well done all.

Well I made a last minute decision and added my name to what was already a high calibre field at Dewsbury 10k, LMH, Mark*W, JARS, RB, Mr JARS........ (and thats without mentioning the three olympic 2004 athletes that ran in the race!).

Ran with Mark for about the first 1 1/2 miles, which is very strange as we both have different split reading according to garmins. Felt good early on, but started to feel bad at about 3-4k (mmmmm that'll be the slight incline then), then got a really bad stitch at about 6k. At about 7-8k I thought to myself time to get a bit of a move on regardless of the stitch so picked up the pace and it miraculously went. Finished in 47m 09 according to garmin (6.26 miles). Officially 47m 27.

I was aiming for 45 mins although that was very hopeful, this is still my fastest time over 10k since I started running again last May so I can't complain. Plus I said to Mark that if I didn't make 45 mins, I'd like to finish in the top half of the field - finished 510 out of 1033 so left it close but just about managed it!!!

It just seems to be the middle 3rd of a 10k where I struggle, need to have a bit more speed training over the distance really to keep the splits even.

Mile split times were -
    1 - 7.34 (notice Mark's was 7.12 even though we ran together!)
    2 - 7.36
    3 - 7.54
    4 - 7.30
    5 - 7.52
    6 - 7.15
    .21 - 1.34

Well done everyone again. And it was great to meet RB and Mr and Ms JARS (and run with Mark*W and LMH again too!!)
  • Options

TB, you did a super run! Mind you, I wonder what your times would be without the alcohol-loading?
    :)

Fifi. Fantastic!
    It seems a lot hillier than Dewsbury,.
    *Big Bunnypat on the back*

Dewsbury people:
    That incline was quite big towards the halfway mark, I didn't realise till we turned and it was rather downhill.

Have just woken up from 4 1/2 hrs sleep.
    OH called midsleep, no change and I just wish it would be over. They are already grieving and this is not making it easy. Have never supported anyone through such a thing as this so don't really know what to do...

And LMH, forgot to thank you for the coffee. How rude of me!
    I owe you one, we will have to try to meet at some point. Maybe Harewood? Come on, you know you want to.

Lovely to meet you JARS and mr Jars of course, even if he doesn';t understand the George-thing ;)

Your postrace bottle sounds like a brilliant idea, see you again at Doncaster.

• Options
    and TB, we are looking forward to that book!
  • Options
    Hammer, you did very well.
    I think you need to explore the speedwork option, and I know I do as well.
    I seemt o miss the sessions at the club so will have to figure out how to do it myself.
    Will rad up on the subject in the Garmin instruction book.
  • Options
    Never worked with Garmin on speed sessions should explore that too! Although from this week I'm starting to train with a local club so that should help!!
  • Options
    Actually split 5 on mine should be 7.42 not 7.52!!
  • Options
    hammer, the garmin can help you with interval training, you just have to set the pace you want to run and how far and off you go!

• Options
    RB...I hope all goes as well as it can for OH and Yourself, it is very difficult for you all, am sending good vibes!!
  • Options
    Thanks Jars!!!

Right, some toast and then off to stupid work
    :(

Might still not have internet access, so see you later
  • Options
    Well run Jars, Mr Jars, RHG hammer and BB
    Anyone know if Reading is flat?

Will try and run it without the alco-loading
    Though having said that i am just off to have a nice large G&T in front of the telly, quite tired now!

Hoping tolearn how to pace myself properly at trailplus next week, I suppose it really might help if i used a stopwatch rather than a sundial!

Are we partying at Trailplus, what fdo we need for the midnight dorm parties??, I have no choccy brazils left, beer, wine and fizz will have to do!!
  • Options
    TB, alcohol, chocolate and PJ's!

And do send the photos!

AND, get yourself a Garmin
  • Options
    Thought it might be a good last race before FLM - but a bit quick for me!
  • Options
    Oh,

Sorry well done all on your runs at Dewsbury - sounds like a very classy field there!

And some class at Longleat too -well done RHG and Fifi.
  • Options
    [not sure if there was class at Watford - apart from TB of course]
  • Options
    beanz, you are up late!

When are you next racing? Anything before FLM?
  • Options
    EVening all,

RB - thinking about you and your OH at this difficult time. Try to stay strong and know that your forum buddies are sending love and hugs to help you through this.

LMH, Mark, Hammer - well run all of you - sounds as though all our runners today have had a great time. Long may it continue eh?

Jars, you and Mr Jars sound like you had fantastic runs too - well done on your pb's.

Off to bed - really cream crackered all of a sudden but before I go ...
    TB - get your @rse down to Aldi - they do fantastic choccie brazils - you can buy another dozen boxes to bring to Trailplus to replace the ones you ate!!! :-)

Nitey nite all - see you tomorrow.
  • Options
    Evening (well, actually good morning)
    Fifi

Thanks. It's so appreciated.
    It's difficult, though even though OH's father and I are very close, this is not about me, it's about OH and closest family.
    I normally have control of most situations in my life (well, I'm a bit off a control-freak actually, but dont tell anyone!), so this is weird and frankly scary.

Trying to plan tomorrow's run. If I'm too tired during the day, then i might do treadie tomorrow night.
    A bit boring but Convoy w Kris Krsitofferson is on at midnight! One of the best films ever.
  • Options
    Right!
    Off home in half an hour.

Have decided on the treadmill tonight

Have a good day all of you!

Zzzzznore