sugar snap peas

mmmmmm
  • Options
    yumm

Can I come and eat?
  • Options
    yep
    Dinner will be at 8.30
    Chicken in an apple and tomato sauce with caramalised onions and buttery mash

and gin
  • Options
    Any southern comfort going could drink gin if nothing else
  • Options
    Tortoisesh, well done. My 1/2 time on a hilly course is much slower than on the flat. Just wait 'til you do a flat one, you'll storm it!
  • Options
    Think im having a bad day
    horrible 3 miles this mornin
    bad hair day(normal)
    raw skin (painful)
    car didnt start this morning
    just managed to drop the kids dinner in the sink (was trying to save on washing up by not using cullender)
    Think i will take a bath and go to bed after a drink or four
  • Options
    jj
    just found the pace run that going on in richmond park on 27th entry is full do you know if its a problem if you turn up and tag on a group?
  • Options
    Ah, hello chafed ladies! I always 'butter my bra' as I say - but fear not, I use vaseline, not butter. I really have to slap it on before a long run - on me in the places I know I will get rubbed, and all over the damn bra too. Vaseline really is a runner's best friend. And I find Savlon is very good to put on the hurty bits afterwards.

Well done Tortoiseshelle!! The fact that it was very challenging (by the sounds of things more difficult than you expected) but you held on to the end shows proper grit. Grit will get you round on marathon day.

And to everyone panicking that they can't do it = just remember in the early days of your running when - if you're anything like me - you were running nowhere near as far as you can now, and probably wondering how you would ever get up to 5 miles/7 miles/10 miles, etc. You WILL build up to the distance and get stronger, as that is what human bodies are designed to do!! That's what I'm telling myself, anyway...

I've been to the physio today to get my dodgy back checked - I smashed it up in a horse-riding accident 10 years ago. Turns out it is all skew-wiff, my pelvis goes off in funny directions while I'm running, as a result my left leg is copping all the strain while my right leg is slacking, and running a marathon is the worst thing I could be doing to it. Knew something odd was going on! I have to go to pilates classes immediately and get some proper arch supports in my shoes. And I'm doing all the wrong stretches. AND I had to take my T-shirt off in front of the skinny physio for 45 mins. Eek. What a lovely afternoon!

Icy - thanks for your encouragement re: my triathlon. I've been looking on the internet today for a pink cycling helmet. I'm determined everything will be pink! Anyone know where I can get a pink wetsuit?!! I think you should just go for it Icy and sign up for one!

Hippo - I am also in your fanclub.

:-)
  • Options
    JaneE2 -

by the way I'm ALWAYS dropping peas into the sink doing the 'less washing up' trick! Once a student, ever a student.

Alcohol definitely the answer to all your problems today.

• Options
    Grubbysoles - bad luck on the back and the physio experience. Hope you get yourself sorted.

Have just posted a rant on the 'London Marathon - what's the hype?' thread to back up JennyG's wise words. Hope I haven't been too obnoxious .....
  • Options
    jane E2 Have got great news for you.. I am signed up for the 27th but had forgotten that I was going to Dubai on holiday with my husband..and no kids!! Do you want my place?
  • Options
    hippo i wish i ate meat - it sounds good. didn't succumb to buying gin but got two more wine boxes....and i've just been reading how alcohol depletes your liver glycogen and reduces endurance...probably only matters if you're an elite athlete i reckon..
    having a rest day today - i've found bruises in all sorts of odd places after encounter with dog yesterday
    oh and jane - my trick is dropping the spaghetti into the sink
    i'm meant to be doing hill session tomorrow but have to go and see one of my patients who's been admitted to local Priory hosp after work - won't be home until nine-ish so it will need a lot of determination...and don't say do them in the morning, i just couldn't face hills at 6am!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Diana - sometimes it's best to do these sessions in the morning - that way you aren't really awake enough to protest until you're nearly finished!

JaneE2 - commiserations about the chafing. I get it from my HRM sometimes - it's really bad at the moment - I've been putting tea tree spot stuff on it - stings for a couple of seconds then ok. It means I'll have to run without my HRM for a few days though.

Hippo - I'd come for dinner, but have just eaten mine :(( Chicken breast fried with garlic and very sweet local spanish wine that I brought back last week. Yum.

For all you worriers - don't!! I always think I couldn't do another 13 when I have done that distance in training, but the marathon itself is different - as long as you've done the long runs you'll be fine!
  • Options
    and you will also get round without long runs

but i didnt say that

The hippo is a BAD hippo when it comes to long runs
    Diana do you eat fish
  • Options
    jane
    My hair is all dry
    My skin is peeling off
    and the side of my nose bleeds on long runs
    i am SO sexy
  • Options
    Grubbysoles, been there, done that, had the Physio and getting better (touch wood) - except that my riding accident was 30 years ago! Didn't have any problems until I started to up my mileage for a marathon last year then everything went wrong. My pelvis was tilted and my right leg was taking all the strain etc etc. Spent a fortune on Physio and spent all my life doing Pilates and endless stretching. Best thing I did was take regular sports massages - they really helped. Hope you get sorted out, just don't expect miracles straight away as it can be a long hard slog.
  • Options
    redhead
    love the pic!!!!!!!
  • Options
    sorry didn't make dinner, hippo

sounds yummm

had to make do with scrambled agg on toast

pasta in the sink, peas in the sink - yes been there done that

best thing I ever did was buy one of those stacking pans with a holy liner for the pasta and a steamer on top for the veg, not nearly so many disasters since!
  • Options
    errr
    still cooking it
    cocked up

couldnt find recipe added a tin of toms and its too liquid
    usually my disasters improve on the original
    STRESSSSSS
  • Options
    The thieving collie just ate half of my tea when I wasn't looking .......
  • Options
    Thanks Hipps, I'm full of inner strength now! I'd had that other piccy for 2.5 years. Enjoy you meal.
  • Options
    Love the pic redhead
  • Options
    Hippo - hope you recovered the meal. Sounds much better than mine (which Holly the Collie decided to avail herself of anyway). What is this about you having to work on a day off? You need some quality time me dear!
  • Options
    Caroline that would be great do i need to know any thing or just turn up and pretend im you
  • Options
    Sam
    i had to do a post take ward round, and thn there was paperwork
    i didnt want anyone to come a cropper while |i was away
    meal was ok
  • Options
    Probably better than mine. Toast and a bit of cheese. Now washing down with wine! Done 4 mile tonight to try and ease the stiffness, now I can't walk!! Quads really took a hammering. Think its because I'm used to hills and that was flat - doesn't bode well for London!!

Not much bra trouble here - flat as the proverbial pancake!

Like the pic Redhead :-)
  • Options
    Blimey!! So many posts since I last went online on Saturday!!

Hi to all the newcomers.

Well done to everyone who ran this weekend. After my 9-er (with sprint finish) my knees were soooo painful. They are fine now but I have decided to save the sprint finishes for the end of my half later this month and for the full marathon (now that I know that I can do it if I really want). Will be going out for 10 or 11 on Saturday depending how we feel on the day. At the moment I feel like doing 11 but then I have had two days rest. Also I went to bed at around 8 last night and didn't have to work til 3 this afternoon so I stayed where I was till 2! I am going to do 5 tomorrow night hopefully, at quite a quick pace. I need to find some hills. We do have some walkways over the main roads round here so at a push I can run up and down those and look like a complete and utter nutter.

Seems to be a lot of talk about booze! I don't actually drink a lot but every now and again have a glass of wine. Preferably red. Don't like gin - not since I got drunk on it when I was about 13!

Anyway, off to finish work now and then to bed.

Have fun everyone!
  • Options
    Redhead - thanks for that! How encouraging! I also didn't think things were too bad until I started training for this, but it's been gradually becoming more apparent that something just wasn't quite right. I'll just have to not get lazy about the pilates stuff, and I'm sure things will improve.

Falling apart, aged 26!

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Grubbysoles - you're young - you'll bounce back!! I wish I was 26 - not 46...

5 miles done this morning. All the lights were out on the cycle path, so a bit spooky.