Options

Berlin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Laura/Pseudo

Great idea. Use the OscarWilde as a meeting place till say 5ish or when the assembled company agree, then move into local fare.

Great work Darren

Carpet (Hotel Berlin), vest bright yellow (Stragglers)
    Doylie (Hotel Berlin), vest bright yellow
    Moses (Suitehotel Berlin)
    Pseudo (Hotel Berlin too!) vest white top with union jack on front and back
    Sarah (Hotel Berlin), red with white diagonal stripe across it
    Jayne - Hotel Berlin
    Darren (Hotel PARK CONSUL) 21688 vest: white top. Friday BA Heathrow to Berlin Tegel back Monday evening.
    Jo (Adlon) F6579, Aer Lingus Dublin-Berlin (Schonefled) out fri morning back monday
    Toucan
    JamesEarlJones vest white with a green and blue stripe going diagonally (VPH)
    GreatNorthWood (Hotel ArtNouveau)
    Plum and H (Ibis Reinickendorf) vest Maroon with Gold offset vertical stripe (Plumstead Runners)
    David M (Hotel Franke) 16882, vest: white with blue and green diagonal stripes (VPH)
    Louise M F5734 & Clare(Hotel-Pension Galerie)10969
    Wardi 18010 (Hotel Spree-Bogen)
    Ebenezer – Swissotel
    H. vest URWFRC running top
    RABKEBAB (Mark hotel) vest: blue Scotland vest with Robin" on the front
    Laura H - Schaper apartments (near potsdammer platz apparently)

Oscar Wilde
    U-bahn station Oranienburger Tor on the U6 line is easiest as it's right next to pub, which is on Friedrichstrasse (112a). Familiarise yourself with outside appearance of pub by going to http://www.oscar-wilde-irish-pub.de Be careful not to get mixed up with Oranienburger strasse which is an S-bahn stop (with post marathon eye fatigue). That's nearby but you have to know where you're walking. But the good thing is there are lots of other pubs/bars etc in this street and nearby Oranienburger Str which you might prefer and can have a look at. If you want a more German beer experience, there's a Bavarian drinking place in Hakescher Hof (next S bahn stop, next to British Council) in the square itself.
  • Options
    Bang on 8 miles done in an hour last night. It felt comfortable but the ruddy ankle comes and goes, I think it is plan "a" and start as I hope to finish but if it gets unmanageable then slow down and take LOTS of drugs

I Fly Stanstead -Tegel Fri PM to Tues am
    H is Frankfurt Tegel at same times ish
  • Options
    Hi folks

Did 11.67 miles yesterday at Marathon pace felt comfortable so all set, just this week to get through.

Cheers fella's for the lists!
    Hope your feeling better soon Carpet.

Flying out fri 6.25 am Stn/sfield Ryanair FR8542
    flying back Sun 21.55pm FR8547
  • Options
    Plum Fly Stanstead -Tegel Fri PM to Tues am

H is Frankfurt Tegel at same times ish Both staying in Ibis @ Reinickendorf

David M Flying out fri 6.25 am Stn/sfield Ryanair FR8542

Darren (Hotel PARK CONSUL) 21688 vest: white top. Friday BA Heathrow to Berlin Tegel back Monday evening

Jo - Aer Lingus Dublin-Berlin (Schonefled) out fri morning back monday. Staying in Adlon at Brandenburg Tor

• Options
    no one flying from Liverpool on friday night then? Just as well - I am a nightmare on planes and it is first time totally alone.
  • Options

Darren (Hotel PARK CONSUL) 21688 vest: white top. Friday BA Heathrow to Berlin Tegel back Monday evening

Jo - Aer Lingus Dublin-Berlin (Schonefled) out fri morning back monday. Staying in Adlon at Brandenburg Tor

Doylie/Carpet (Hotel Berlin) yellow stragglers top, 0905 from London Heathrow on Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Four of us going from Taunton AC, hope to see you in Oscar Wilde's.

Carpet (Hotel Berlin), vest bright yellow (Stragglers)
    Doylie (Hotel Berlin), vest bright yellow
    Moses (Suitehotel Berlin)
    Pseudo (Hotel Berlin too!) vest white top with union jack on front and back
    Sarah (Hotel Berlin), red with white diagonal stripe across it
    Jayne - Hotel Berlin
    Darren (Hotel PARK CONSUL) 21688 vest: white top. Friday BA Heathrow to Berlin Tegel back Monday evening.
    Jo (Adlon) F6579, Aer Lingus Dublin-Berlin (Schonefled) out fri morning back monday
    Toucan
    JamesEarlJones vest white with a green and blue stripe going diagonally (VPH)
    GreatNorthWood (Hotel ArtNouveau)
    Plum and H (Ibis Reinickendorf) vest Maroon with Gold offset vertical stripe (Plumstead Runners)
    David M (Hotel Franke) 16882, vest: white with blue and green diagonal stripes (VPH)
    Louise M F5734 & Clare(Hotel-Pension Galerie)10969
    Wardi 18010 (Hotel Spree-Bogen)
    Ebenezer – Swissotel
    H. vest URWFRC running top
    RABKEBAB (Mark hotel) vest: blue Scotland vest with Robin" on the front
    Laura H - Schaper apartments (near potsdammer platz apparently)
    Robtherunner - Rob Wood, plus Simon and Pete. EasyJet Bristol to Schoenefeld, fri pm returing mon pm. Hotel Franke - same as David M.

• Options
    Warm weather forecast for the weekend!
  • Options
    A forecast I saw had lots of sunshine all week and then cloudy with showers for the weekend.
  • Options
    HI all
    yes recommend you move on from OW's, but glad to see there's time for the very slow (like me) to get there before you do!

RTR: Taunton - good to see some more south-westers (not far from Bridport then!)

Minimal 'training' this weekend but managed one silly short run (like fartlek, self-designed!)in the cold dark last night.. it's too late now for me, folks..
    Bloody good luck to everyone for the last few days...

Louise - Stanst - Schoenfeld Thurs pm, back Tues pm to Luton

Doylie/Carpet (Hotel Berlin) yellow stragglers top, 0905 from London Heathrow on Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Dorchester's "finest" reporting for duty - out Fri pm from Bristol back Monday pm. Vest no. 12909 - will be delighted if I can get under 5 hours. Staying in some godforsaken Holiday Inn (but free cos I got loads of points) north of the centre.

Good luck one and all.

Jon
  • Options
    I seem to have in my head that there is no need for any medical certification for Berlin unlike Paris etc but now I am doubting myself. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    Not aware of any need for Med cert
  • Options
    thanks, I didn't think there was one but am at the point where i am being paranoid thinking about all the barriers to me running on Sunday like twisting and ankle the day before or not having a cert.
  • Options
    I was getting paranoid too - I thought I had the flu but the school nurse thinks it might be the mumps..... bugger!
  • Options
    Oh dear, does this mean you can't run?
  • Options
    Mind you now that you've mentioned it i could be wrong, although i'm a touch paranoid meself at the minute!
  • Options
    def no certificate.

almost decision time - am about to print out the km and mile pacer bands from this site. Not sure whether to be aggressive, realisitic or cautious
  • Options
    I'll find out at 5:30 tonight! She's sent me to the doctors to get a second opinion, but I'll be running if at all possible, though my legs feel pretty heavy.
  • Options
    Forgot to add the latest weather. Isn't that a fairly hefty wind?

Sunday
    Scattered Clouds. High: 68° F / 20° C Wind South 11 mph / 18 km/h
  • Options
    I was having those discussions with myself I think it depends on your starting pen to an certain extent. I am in F and not sure how busy it will be.
  • Options
    pen shouldn't have too much of an impact given chip system - from what i've heard you can get into a running groove pretty quickly from the start
  • Options
    I suppose my only comparison for a race of this scale is London a couple of years ago and it was not possible to get into a groove quickly at all, it took 15 miles of weaving around people (I am sure I ran an extra mile) However I am sure the Germans will have it operating very efficiently.
  • Options
    Hello all, I'm not doing this race but because I love Carpet I'd thought I'd wish you all good luck.

I was in Berlin last year to watch the race, and in response to your questions about getting into a running stride quickly, they set off a pen at a time, therefore it is not all hell for leather at the start. Therefore it shouldn't be a problem. Typical German efficiency.
  • Options
    No problem darling.
  • Options
    steady on fella - we have to carry on this type of chat on "the other" forum
  • Options
    Erm.......ok......are you ashamed of me? (heehee)
  • Options
    correct - any street cred gained now lost
  • Options
    Hi All

Up to my neck and getting deeper in work - the joys of getting everything organised before you go away.

Did 8.5 miles and 5 miles at weekend at marathon pace and felt comfortable. Did a slow session last night and resting today, eating lots and getting lazy. 5 miles planned for tomorrow and 2 easy miles at club Thursday. May stretch legs on Sat for a mile or so, if there is anywhere to run near hotel.

Dareen, cheers for putting all the info together, really useful.

David M, sounds like you're finishing off the training on a great note, will try and send mobile no. again.

Carpet, I hope you are feeling much better and the stomach has settled down now. Try some Dioralyte to calm it down if it's still feeling a bit dodgey, usually works for me and keeps the correct balance of "thingemy jiggs" (can't think of technical term) in your tummy. My hamstring is also niggly, but has been on and off for 9 months.

Glad everyone is waiting at Oscar Wilde's til 5pm, gives me time to get myself sorted out and get there.

Laura, not heard of needing a med. cert before, you've got me thinking now, but never heard mention of it.

Welcome Slowbloke, hope to see you at the pub.

Off to do some more stretching and bending. All the best for these last few days everyone ....

Louise - Stanst - Schoenfeld Thurs pm, back Tues pm to Luton

Doylie/Carpet (Hotel Berlin) yellow stragglers top, 0905 from London Heathrow on Saturday morning

Sarah (Hotel Berlin), red vest with white diagonal stripe, 0650 from Luton/Shoenefeld on Sat morning, back Sunday night at 2155.