Options

BUPA Great North Run 2006

Comments

• Options
    Guess what?

Service Unavailable!
  • Options
    Oh no :( the website is probably really busy this time of night. In a week or so it'll probably be fine, but it must be really frustrating!

Thanks for the congrats Roy!

• Options
    Was about to wish you good luck as well.
  • Options
    Phil - try a different running club! My local club is really friendly, and does cater for all standards - we have 5 groups and a "development" group, that is for newbies, returners from injury and generally slow bods (me!) And no-one is ever left to run on their own as that is totally demoralising!

I couldn't get photo site to work either.

As a side topic, I don't know whether any og you on this thread have met Mick & Phil ("Marathon Lads"). Mick runs a huge number of races round the country with with his son, Phil, who has cerebal(?) palsy (please excuse spelling!). And I tell you, he doesn't half shift round the courses!! Anyway, Phil's wheelchair is knackered and a number of RW forumites have started a thread to raise money to get a new light-weight racing chair... Check out their website at http://www.micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk/
    or make a donation at http://www.justgiving.com/micknphil

Thanks
  • Options
    Or, check out latest posts where the Mick & Phil thread is bounced to the top periodically!

Raised over £1200 since last night, so far!

• Options
    I did 19 miles last night - last pre-marathon long run, and it wasn't a pleasant experience, I can tell you!

Feeling much better today after a cold bath and a good night's sleep though. Rest today, then plan to be up early tomorrow for an easy 5-6km before work.

Nightie night peeps
  • Options
    Hi all

Nipples!!! i suffer more when i'm wet...and i was pooring more water over me than drinking...so very sore!The answer is vaseline and lots of it!!

Roy come down to Stainland on a Thursday.E-mail me and I will arrange to meet/introduce you if that would help?
  • Options
    blister plasters are good for nipples on a long run!
  • Options
    bigun at'back - thankyou. You have email.
  • Options
    bigun at'back again. Looked again at your profile to send the email & I quote:-

6'5" 18st 10k = 57m 20 sec.

Mine would read :-

5'3" 9.5st 10k = still not under 60min!

Maybe I should change my forum name to

littleun even further back!
  • Options
    LOL, under 60min for a 10k is middle of pack for our club!!(I have been nagged to change my forum name for a while!!)

my first 10k took me 79mins....and I really tried hard!!
  • Options
    evening all

had a belter of a session tonight did a pace class(indoor cycling) in the gym its a reaaly good tough work out and then went for a 5mile run and got p****d wet through about half way round the heavens opened but i loved it

i have now packed for bulgaria(did i mention bwfc are in europe):-) and this time tomo my head will be swimming in lager

have a good week folks and i shall tell you on my return how much running i did out there
  • Options
    Good morning all-just in from work and im shattered.Will speak to you all in the morning.I HATE THIS SHIFT!!!!!!
  • Options
    Running Monkey - is Phil a child? Cus if he is I know of some charities which like to fund lightweight wheelchairs
  • Options
    Morning - just sneaking on - my new trainers arrived this morning :)) THey are very white!! Made me realise how mucky my ones are. Will try them out tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hi Ski Lab (!!)

As I say, mud is a sign of hard work!

Thanks for the advice re Great2run. I am sending off my form today.

Alison
  • Options
    Yes, Ali H, Phil is a child or an adolescent, perhaps. If you look on the thread on general, they've got a website link.
  • Options
    morning all-Aye I know mick n phil.Ive ran with them both at Blackpool{twice this year}and in mansfield.An unbelievable pair.They,ve done something like 154 half marathons.Mick will come flying past you pushing phil in the wheelchair,having a laugh and banter with the crowd as he goes.The pair are an insparation to anyone who comes across them.
    Scooby-thanks for the info,I,ll pop over to their website and make a donation.
  • Options
    Mick - you seem to work odd hours like me - on 1700-0200hrs today and have been since Monday - its nice being at home all day tho isnt it?

San - who do you work for at the airport? - I used to work for Customs - was there 15 years up til 1999. And I'm always running through Swinton - saw the tail-end of a half marathon whilst I was out for my run on Sunday morning - might do it next year seeing as the GNR is in October.

Alisonclair - did you put your name down for the Great2run course at the exhibition thingy - I did and have not heard anything from them as yet?

• Options
    Okay, here's one for the girls, inspired by the boys nipple talk.

When I wear my heart monitor it sits underneath the elastic of my bra. I also wear a tight-ish vest with inside support.

When I run for more than 40mins or so I feel like I've been punched in between the ribs, and I think it's where the heart monitor is pushed against the bones. I can't have my bra any looser or I'll be all over the place!!

Anyone else have this problem or a solution?
  • Options
    Mandie-I hate it,I do 1 week of days 07.00-15.18pm[mon-fri],then 1 week of lates 16.35-00.53am[mon-thurs]then 15.10-23.03 on a friday.I even hate working friday night!!!!
  • Options
    Mandi- I'm sending my form off today. I've heard that it sometimes takes three weeks to get the stuff. Not sure of other people's experiences though.

Alison
  • Options
    I am going to send mine off today too! Am worried that won't have time to fit it in. But am hoping i can learn something from it.
  • Options
    We can be virtual studying buddies donut! I will need all the help I can get, its been ages since I have had to study......
  • Options
    Oh me too!
    I havent done antything since pretending to go to college 12 years ago!
    I am quite looking forward to it now, seems a few others on here are doing it aswell so we can all help each other eh!
    Will be emailing you for the answers every week! xx
  • Options
    This Asiphoto company seem to be absolutely hopeless. They turn up and take photos of these events, but it seems impossible to navigate through their website far enough to actually buy the prints.

You would think, seeing as their business is based on website sales, that they would have an efficient website.

They must be losing £1000s in lost revenue through people just giving up on them.

Anyway, rant over. Hope everyone is fit and well after the run and looking forward to their next event.
  • Options
    Has anyone who did this year's race had any post-race stuff through yet? Am just wondering 'cos mine was a charity place and I'm worried I won't get the 'priority place for next year' option people have mentioned.

Guide Dogs already sent me a thank you letter and a certificate so now I feel really bad that I only raised £350 for them - and that includes sponsoring myself (sad I know).
  • Options
    Also, if you Google 'Great North Run photos' there's another company who took pics - called gotyou or something - but they only had pics of my sis-in-law and she looks really p****d off in them.
  • Options
    Scooby - I had a ballot place but have heard nothing since - didn't realise we should be expecting anything! I'll let you know if I hear anything.

anyone else shattered today, or is it just me?? Wednesdays are hard work.
  • Options
    The 'priority' places for finishers finished in 2004.

All you get now for completing the run is the invitation to join the GNR Club, this cost £30 last year. This will then guarantee your place for the next 3 years, but you still have to pay your entry fee in addition to the membership fee.