Comments

• Options
    ICRAM
    wonderful news and many congratulations

Sportaloo
    try rich ks website-loads of pics of forumites
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations ICRAM!! Fantastic news. and well done RHGDU on your PB.

What: 4-5 mile recovery run this afternoon.
    Why: Ran 16 miles yesterday and nursing mild hangover after party last night. Looks lovely outside though...
    Last hard: 1 hour of intervals on treadmill on Friday
    Last rest: Thursday as home too late from work.
  • Options
    Morning folks.

Congratulations ICRAM...brilliant news! Thought your wife was going to pop at about 10 months!

Good running RHGDU...a big PB!

NZC...solid times.

Lovely frosty morning...perfect for running...

What: Nothing! Damn! Well, a wee walk for an hour later on, perhaps.
    Why: Do you really have to ask?

Sportaloo - I'll sort out a photo later.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Sportaloo...I'm number 510...going well in Chicago before it all went awry!

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/img/raceday/t2lg.jpg
  • Options
    Congratulations ICRAM and Mrs! How wonderful for you, and I'm so glad it all went relatively 'easily' in the end. We will have a drink to wet the baby's head from here!

I did the short version of the 'long' ride today, so just over 32 miles in just over 2 hours. Was very pleased because my average speed was over 15mph all by myself (no one pushing me up hills!) which in hilly Devon is very satisfying. Was really flying on some stretches too. Will now commence eating for the rest of the day!

Don't think I have a picture on the web, Sportaloo, but will think.
  • Options
    Congratulations Mr & Mrs ICRAM!

Managed my first run again, easy 5 miler was a bit puffing, but at least I can do some easy running again.
  • Options
    Morning

Weather looks lovely outside (think they give rain later though:(

what: may do easy 3-4 mile

why: weekly mileage is at high of 35, so will run short recovery for yesterdays LSD

Sportaloo-<ahref="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/tinytia/Uk running/cardiff.jpg"> me
  • Options
    Congratulations to the proud parents! Make sure you pass on love and best wishes from us all!

It's another lovely day again. Did 10 miles in 72 mins, which was my longest run since January. The achilles is a bit tender, but seems to be holding up :-)

If we're owning up to what we look like, this is me in the local paper. Red vest, grey/yellow shorts. I thought this was a really good photo, so bought a print from the newspaper only to discover I had my eyes shut :-(
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your son mr and mrs ICRAM:)
  • Options
    Will read thread later.

what: 21.73m 5m@135; 5m@140; 5m@145; 5m@150 then last 1.73m @ 7.30 min mile pace..
    details here http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=DiamondD;s=blueboy
    why: trying to make my long runs a litter tougher
    last hard: today (legs absolutely knackered;-)
    last rest: 14 days

d
  • Options
    Congratulation ICRAM - I think that's our first training thread baby!!

Briefly back from Barnsley 10k which went well apart from the organiser realising the marshall at the crucial 2 mile point hadn't turned up, dashing off in the car to do it, taking all the cups with him as I was meant to be organising the drinks station!!

We muddled through though. Nice to speak to U/A (who was 2nd), Harrier Kev, Wardi and to get a big hug from Melifera. That's me happy for the day:-)))
  • Options
    Welcome to the new ICRAM and congratulations to the parents.

What : hopefully about 13 with local running club (picked off web!)
    why : can't stand the treddy anymore
    last hard : last sun X/C ?
    last rest : sat (watching US Football)

let you know how it goes later.

Oh - well done to BR/MM at nat X/C relays
  • Options
    Hmmm, a hug for BR, that's made his day!

I'm back from the Barnsley 10k also and saw no one really, apart from U/A in 2nd position as I was marshalling at 'the bollards' in the opening stages of the race, as well as after 5M for abusy junction. Didn't see Wardi, sorry I missed you!

I'm doing some work, then might entertain a 8M or more run this afternoon/evening. I'm looking for the inevitable criticisms that may come, but can;t seem to find the link for the race (I know, it IS our race!)!

It was great to Tracey Morris today and would have got a picture of her, had the marshalling spot not been so busy!

Well done all who entered!
  • Options
    Btw, congrats to ICRAM and Mrs ICRAM! What a great day for the 5 of you!
  • Options
    ICRAM - Congratulations!

What: Rest
    Why: Have to sometimes & other things to do
    Last hard: Yesterday

About 45 mins @ 70% HRmax planned for tomorrow.
  • Options
    To see Tracey Morris!

Just to explain that 'Tracey Morris' is not some new verb that I have invented!
  • Options
    Congrats to the ICRAMs!

Well done on the PB RHGDU!

What: Easy 4 miler
    Why: Travelling back to Trini and it's all I have time for.
    Last Hard: Last Sunday
    Lyrics: No idea

Can't believe the two big sports outlets here are sold out of the 301, so looks like I have to wait until next year and the new 305!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Super news on the arrival of baby Icram. Congratulations to all of you ICRAM and good to hear mum and baby are doing well!

You obviously easy to please, BR:o) Well done on the marshalling, you too FL.

20 miles done for me this morning in beautiful sunshine. It was however very cold and I wore my gloves all the time. As long as my hands are warm, then my arms and legs can cope with the chill:o)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You're not you.

Forgot to add my run didn't feel great today. My legs felt a bit 'flat'.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    ICRAM and Ruth, congratulaions to you both on the birth of your son. I never fail to be effected by the wonder of new life.

Right just of to do "The Wheels on the bus go round and round...." with grandson.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    It is cold today isn't it? but lovely sunshine. I only did 6 miles - my HR was shooting up to over 160 at what should be my 70% pace, so I stopped.

Sportaloo - I meant Lochaber, not Loch Ness... photos of me, RHG and Hippo there, and other assorted forumites.

MelP - well done - you were flying!

I'm off to watch my son play rugby now.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,
    Kent Fitness League XC for me today, found it a bit of a struggle. My ankle still hurt from yesterday and my legs were heavy. Plus the fact I chose spikes that were far to long for the course, which made the heavy legs situation even worse!

Still made a reasonable start, and held about 8th-9th place at the beginning of the race, which went through long grass and up an hill, before a path and a twisty section. Even at this early stage I was struggling, course then went through some woods, having jump over logs and weave between trees, next an incline and another wooded section, I lost further ground here before course rounded a boating lake and started lap two. Working hard at this point dropped back to 18th, not good! picked up midway trough lap two and got 17th place back, last wooded section I got trapped behind runner ahead, so lost contact with the group ahead, came out of woods, summoned all my remaining energy for a sprint finish, which I executed and grabbed 16th place, group ahead were to far ahead for me to catch. so..16th overall out of 320 runners, and first IEK runner home.

Got a bollocking from my coach, who suggested my idea of 70mile weeks and training races, were not the way forward and I should be on 30mpw, I then returned argument saying im not gonna ease down for every dam race! (nice bit of drama to end the day ;) )

What:
    Pm: 4.25mile run very easy pace

Why:
    Race recovery and keeping to my 70mile plus week schedule, a stubborn so and so am I! lol

BR:
    Good stuff at the relays, I hope certain Kent XC managers are reading your posts, would like a crack at Barnsley AC! ;P

URR:
    Nice to see you back training again.

• Options
    Thanks for that hilly! Obviously, when we do a race, we can't do everything right, and there will always be the critics - I'm watching for the feedback from the race - but what does wveryone who did the race think of this? (the 'wayne' comment)

Barnsley 10k 2005 critique page

• Options
    Or indeed, what does anyone who didn't do the race think of it, either?
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Ran the Boston Poppy Run 5 this morning, was looking out for you Poppy but didn't get to see you. I'm always surprised at how difficult it is to find forumites you've never met at these things.

Weather was cold and breezy and the course as flat as the fields of Flanders. We observed a minutes silence, which in the chill of the November morning was very piognant. It's not about war, its about the noble self sacrifice of millions of people who never asked questioned of what they were asked to do - lions led by donkeys.

I've come into this race off 10 weeks of averaging 95 miles a week, so wasn't expecting too much in the way of speed - just a good hard tempo (LT) paced run at as close to 6min miles as I could get. I started steady, the old legs took a bit of winding up, and settled down to a comfortably hard pace and plugged away gradually easing past people who had gone of too quickly. At about half way I found myself running into a group of about 8-10 runners in front of me. At this point there was abit of a headwind, and I was tempted to coast behind them. However I chose to maintain pace and run past them, which proved to be the right call. Hit 3 miles in 17:59 feeling stretched but not stressed. Plugged on for the last two miles picked off 3-4 people and got overtaken (as usual) in the finishing straight. I think I ended up with 29:58, which I'm pretty pleased with, from running on tired legs. Also don't seem to have had any adverse reaction from the sciatica.

Next week is an easy week in preparation for the vets 10M championships at Bishops Stortford - based on todays effort I'm hoping for about 60:30-60:45, which a bit down on my best in the spring, but its definately moving in the right direction.

Time to start thinking about the make up of next 3-4 months training - with the Bath HM in mind.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    FL, as you say you can't please everyone. If you look click on Wayne's name you'll see he's not exactly pleased with a lot of the races he's done. We all have expectaions of what we want at races and there's always going to be someone not happy. I wouldn't take it personal unless there was a real 'c*ck up', which there doesn't seem to have been.

I think the more races runners do and are involved with the less they seem to criticise the organisers as they see how much effort and free time has gone in to making races possible! Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Icram- and you think that's an excuse for missing the Sunday League XC? congratulations to yourself and Ruth :O).

5 mile XC through hilly Cassiobury park in Watford today, Neilson Hall from our club whose been in America for the last year turned up. To give you an idea of his standard, at 18 he won a met league race, Jonny Pepper is normally in the top 5 and his sister is GB XC Junior international.

Had a strong team today, plan was for uas all to start fast, race started fine , bit crowded and not directed very well, charged up a long hill and sure enough there was one very good GCr chap in the lead with us, one from FVS tri and then 3 Herts Phoenix vests right at the front and then 3 more directly behind us, within touching distance. Finished the first long clim, and had a very quick turn-around and a long downhill, wasn't quite able to keep up with this and so let the front 2 (GCR and Neilson) with 2 more, one from FVS tri and the other Lee Reynolds from my club ahead of me by about 3 metres with the front two 10 clear. Went over a bridge (awful for spikes) and then up a very sharp uphill, at this point the three chaps pushed on and lee was left stranded and 100m on from there I overtook him. Could still see the front three but they were gradually moving further away. Over a golf course and into the forest, lots of ups and downs, for about 2 miles then at the top of a hill in the forest, stil 4th at this time but with 4 or so runners clustered behind mem there was a right turn downhill and a route straight on. The marshal standing to the left CLEARLY motioned down the hill. I charged down together with my other team mate Andy, and as we were heading dow heard a call of "NO LEFT", lady had sent us the wrong way, quick revesal and up the hill, had lost about 20 metres on the chaps I'd been confidently leading, tried to pull 'em back but was so irritated got close but didn't quite make it. (one would likely have beaten me anyway but the other 2 finished within 10 metres of me at the end_), then spent the last few ks duking it out up the hills and down with ANdy, back over the brdige and a long slog uphill, before back dow our original route, but I though that you could see the finish clearly 400m up from the downhill, as it was it was just obscured so I turned a corner saving everything up for this massive sprint, and the finish was about 20metres away. arrggh!, still got 7th place Neilson took 3rd, Andy 8th,others 12, 13th and 17th and 20 something with Lee in 27th (had a bad race, was 4th in this league a few weeks back), and first lady to it looks like win the team race overall :O). 2 points clear of GCR now probably!

As always, pleased but not satisfied for a) not scouting out the finish properly I KNOW to do this and b) marshall sending me and Andy wrong way.

Massive congrats to U/A, 2nd is great.
    Micksta- well done om being first back for the club- doesn't Kent Fitness league not let you race in it anymore once you've gone sub 35 or something though?

nice to meet Venom and M. they had pretty good races and the new FVS Tri tops look a lot better than the old FVS ones! good decision guys!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Micksta on the xc place. It sounds to me you had a solid run off a heavy weeks training.

Well done Tom on your race today. I'm glad your sciatica is not giving you grief! I'm still suffering with mine on and off. Did you do anything in particular that you found eased the pain? Looking forward to meeting you at Bath Half!

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Bloody Hell, that Wayne bloke takes a bit of pleasing! There's someone there, calles himself "Treadmill" a 100% - bet that cost BR a few pints :-))