Options

Watford 10K

Comments

• Options
    Personally I will be wearing my high heel boots, not sure if I should wear my brown or black ones though!!!
  • Options
    Tough question. I'd need to know the rest of your outfit for the day before passing judgement.
  • Options
    I notice JFB is querying not having got his number yet. I'm in the same boat, but contacted the race organisers. Got an e-mail back saying they're having issues with the numbers but they should be sent out next week.
  • Options
    Where's the start? And how do I get there from central London?
  • Options
    The start is towards the top of Cassiobury Park (the Rickmansworth Road end).

You can get there either by the overland from Euston to Watford Junction (15 mins walk away) or the Metropolitan line to Watford (5-10 mins walk).

The woods are very muddy at the moment, if it isn't dry for the next week or so trail shoes are worth considering.

Thanks for the info,Pogue.
  • Options
    I ran it last year, it was well organised and had a great atmosphere, the kids enjoyed their race too.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I've signed up for this as my first post marathon race. not expecting too greater a time but looking forward to racing again. Please keep us informed about he ground JFB, I will bring trail shoes if its too wet.
  • Options
    I'll do my best, Shiva! I will be running in the woods this Sunday and will report back.
  • Options
    I ran in the woods last night and they're drying fast.

Got my number:

JFB 127
  • Options
    looking forward to running with you guys, this is my first race so i hope it will be more fun than pain!

1200 people seems quite a lot for the top of the park is there a bit of a push and shove at the start?
  • Options
    Just decided that I should enter my first race and see this is the soonest and nearest.

yikes!

Is it too late to enter?
    Where is the best place to park?

I'm a complete beginner so already panicking...
  • Options
    Last year there were something like 900 entrants, and although the numbers have been sent out now, there may still be places (and you can enter on the day too).

It's bound to be a bit cramped at the start jforce, but if the Watford Half was anything to go by, people soon spread out according to their pace. Just try not to get swept along by other runners at the beginning (something I find hard to avoid in the exitement of running 'as a pack').
  • Options
    Hi there, all!

Decided to do this (may just enter on the day now though and hope there are still places...); being Watford born it seems only right - and I'll be back over that way anyway. Not expecting a pb though but should be good, hopefully not raining or too hot.
  • Options
    Quick (silly) question for anyone who has run this before:

Are the start and end bits in the park run on the tarmac paths or the grass?

I'm assuming the course follows the paths, but the Autumn Challenge last year had us running on the grass alongside the main path - although admittedly, that was more of a dedicated off-road race.

ta.
  • Options
    JoeMole,
    I understand that the park bits are on the wide tarmac paths - though not entirely sure. I don't own any trail shoes so I hope its not too muddy!

Rachel Sportspace,
    Thanks for the kick up the bum! I've been worrying about this race (see all the comments about massive hills!) as I've only done two 10k's up til now so I'm just hoping I won't be at the back!

Not got my number yet, but can re-iterate that the race organisers have said 'usual delay with the printer' so fingers crossed it'll be waiting for me when I get home...

Keep on plodding.
  • Options
    Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭
    JoeMole

Both the start and finish are on the tarmac.
  • Options
    Right i'm going to wear my old running shoes just in case it's muddy; it can be their farewell race. Entered now, online, so hope my number turns up by the weekend...

Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    Thanks Tamara and Corky.

That settles it. With maybe 1.5 miles of non-tarmac surface in all (of which 0.5 miles is mostly gravel and the rest earth), It'll be road shoes for me too.

At least every uphill part has a downside (if you see what I mean). Imagine a race that was just uphill?

Good luck to you too, Covert.

• Options
    Yup, it's on paths in the park, although you run across the grass at the bottom of the hill when you come back into the park.

The section through the woods is probably a bit less than a mile - if it's wet, it is really sludgy, but the weather this week looks like it should go a fair way to drying it out.

Hope to see some of you guys there.
  • Options
    Oh good - I'm all for a bit of dry weather! Did 3 miles after work yesterday which was a breeze. But then again, it was completetly flat so not exactly the best training for next Monday!

See you there.

x
  • Options
    By the way, has you number arrived yet Tamara?
  • Options
    Got my number today, if i didn't feel quite so tired i'm sure i would be excited. I'm cycling to work for the rest of this (national cycling) week, rest days on sat and sun. Is anyone else 'tapering'?
  • Options
    Not exactly tapering jforce, but my plan was to have a 'light' week, with one or two days off before the race.
  • Options
    Yup, got my number on Monday - 9 hundred and something.

I get excited when my race number drops through the letterbox (I know its sad isn't it!).

:)
  • Options
    RichardWRichardW ✭✭✭
    My number arrived today: 406

Now all I've got to do is to convince:
    a) My wife that I can do it and still be back early enough to not waste the rest of the day.
    b) My legs that they've recovered from the London Marathon
  • Options
    Well done Richard on the marathon!

..........I will have to convince my head it does not hurt with a hangover!.... mmm dont think I take this seriously enough!!!
  • Options
    Well the forecast on BBC Weather says rain for Watford on Monday (on a bank holiday - hold the front page) so may well be muddy! So the whole thing may turn into an adventure race with many who failed to bring fell shoes or spikes failing to make it up the long hill and sliding all the way back down into a giant mudbath. So I'll see you down there.
  • Options
    having to hold back for the run tomorow, i'm really looking forward to it, gonna try and beat 50mins - it's my birthday, hope i don't puke at the end ;-)
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I might bring my trail shoes, especially if its raining. Only just started to train again after post marathon (paris) injury, so i'm probably going to go quite easy. Got my number on wednesday, 348 so if you see me say hi. See you all tomorrow hopefully.
  • Options
    Well, good luck everyone, and a 'Happy Birthday' for tomorrow jforce.