Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    Oh No - TOTP <<groan>>
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Lol, and there's me thinking we'd all be aboard the Black Pearl! Thought these IM competitions looked a bit easy

:-)
  • Options
    Hmm. Whilst I can see the attraction of attempting an Ironman, I really can't see it ever happening for me. I've never run further than a half mara, can't see me ever doing a full mara, let alone an approx 10 hour warm up swim/bike before the mara!
  • Options
    The running would be the easy bit, I know I can cover 26.2 miles and I know that I can find the time to train for that - it's adding in all of the other bits that's the problem, well, it is if I want to stay married, get qualified, have any sort of life other than training etc etc
  • Options
    LMH - what are you becoming a student in?
  • Options
    Ah, it's the other way round for me. Although running is something I've done far more than the other 2, I reckon I could do the swim and bike without too much trouble (after some training, of course!), but to run a marathon... yikes. Nope. Not any time soon. Maybe before I'm 50. (40's too close!)
  • Options
    I did Lanzarote IM in 2004 and it was great, I have expressed an interest in doing the Big Woody on another thread, or maybe Almere.

But the more I think about it the more I can't face doing the training again. I love running that's not a problem.
    I love swimming but it really affects me, it took me 10 hours to get over the bunged up feeling caused by yesterday's swim and the constant runny nose as well it's like having a permanent cold.
    And I just hate cycling.

Right I've just convinced myself that IM races are off and thinking about it this could very well be my triathlon farewell. Back to Bob Graham training I guess.
  • Options
    Appologies for being negative.

Ironmans like anything else, they are only as hard as you make them.

The swim is easy all you are doing is lying down and moving your arms a bit.
    And on the bike you get to sit down and eat for 5-7 hours, easy.
    Then you've got to run a marathon, which is the thing that will niggle be as I walked some of my IM marathon, that's why I wanted to do another one, just to complete the run.

• Options
    Blimey - Bob Graham?! I read "Feet in the Clouds" and marvelled at the people doing that. Far more of an elite club than Ironman!
  • Options
    I read "Feet in the Clouds" good book, I think I'll re read it once I've finished One Shot by Lee Child.

The thing with the Bob Graham Round is as long as you finish within 24 hours it doesn't matter if you walked (probably wont walk properly for weeks after tho)

Right that's settled.

• Options
    Bexmanc - I'm going to become a student nurse (mental health). A very mature one!

Quimby - I promised myself a marathon before I was 40 and did Abingdon last year, was thinking of an ultra next year or 40 races for my 40th year, could possibly talk myself into an IM though:-)

Marshallini - do you think it's cos the pool's too chlorinated? I have much less of a problem in the pool at my gym than I did in the council pool.
  • Options
    LMH - ditto for the pool issue. I don't have a problem with my gym pool, who use some kind of fancy oxygen-based system. I went training with my tri club at a school pool, and my nose streamed for hours after, into the next day. There is some kind of hay fever remedy recommended on the TriTalk forums, which is a similar thing to the inhaled preventative steroids I take for asthma. Hold on whilst I look...

OK, found it. It's called Beconase Nasal Spray. <dislaimer> Read instructions, check for contraindications, probably don't recommend extended use... etc etc </disclaimer>.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to try & spot me at the race, this is me, although maybe a little tubbier now - that was a year ago. I will probably be wearing the same sleeveless yellowish lime top for the race (bike/run, not swim).
  • Options
    LHM - I've had it every pool I've swam in to varying degrees and to a lesser extent in open water too, I swim with a nose clip generally and that helps but on Thursday I didn't, so that was probably to blame. The more I swim the worse it gets.
    I did more meters in the pool during January '04 than Feb,Mar,Apr and May put together because of it.
  • Options
    All change.

New bike course, I measure it at 6.2 miles (assuming I've followed the route details correctly) and I don't know how it compares for hills either.

I still have no idea where the run goes though or how good/bad, road/offroad it is.

I guess I'll find out on the day.
  • Options
    Not feeling very well this morning and news of the route change hasn't helped. All I know is that the run now sets off uphill! Whilst generally having a shorter bike course is probably better for me at least I knew where I was on the old one and that once I'd got to the top of that hill the worst was over, now I'm worried by all these 'sharp downhill with bends' warnings! I love downhill but don't always have that much control:-) Also of course now this is going to be a very short course I might have to do a 'proper' sprint tri to get a benchmark!

Thanks for the picture Quimby - will definitely look out for you at the start and finish as unlikely to be near you any other time! I think I can safely say that I shall be the only competitor (I use the term loosely) on a Townsend Avalanche in light metallic blue:-)
  • Options
    I looked at the course description - it really did mean nothing to me, since I don't know the roads at all! I'm sure we'll be well directed by the marshalls.

I shall be on a blue/grey Trek 1000, but I suspect they're a little more common.
  • Options
    LMH - I feel terrible myself and last night was contemplating a no show, I've two days to turn things around so we'll see.

I'll be on a blue, white and black Fausto Coppi Torino with yellowy orange tyres.
  • Options
    Marshallini - that's the way I'm looking at it, if I don't get any worse I could probably manage with the aid of a few non-prescription drugs but with any luck another couple of nights sleep and I'll actually feel better. The good side is that I feel too rough to worry/panic and I haven't even started packing my bag yet!
  • Options
    Mmmmm, must be feeling a little better - dreamt that I couldn't find my bike in transition last night! Do people bother putting gloves on for the bike?

Marshallini - hope you're feeling a bit better too. I was thinking if you can't rack until ten minutes before the off isn't it just going to get really crowded if everyone is trying to register at 0700hrs? How do these things work normally?
  • Options
    Oh dear, can't believe it's tomorrow!

Hope everyone's feeling a bit brighter today :-)

LMH - My friend's doing mental health nursing at the moment. She probably does more hours than I do as a med student but I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to fulfill the ironman ambitions!

Does anyone know how far the run is now that the course has changed?
  • Options
    Bex - I got the impression that the run was still about the same length but I don't have the map thing that Quimby used for the bike course so it's not based on anything much:-) What's your start time?
  • Options
    06.43 Think I'll have to leave Manchester about 5am :-S

Still, should be a good day!
  • Options
    Hi All,

I'm feeling better, not a lot, but enough. I will be there.

I'm guessing you can register anytime before you're scheduled to start, obviously it makes sense for that to be at least 20 minutes, I'm not off till 08:08 but I'll register as soon as I get there, hopefully about 07:00 (05:30 depart from home).
    Then you go away and get everything sorted then show up again 10 mins before you start and rack your bike and wait at poolside.

I'm still guessing and I don't know how much room they do have for T1, but because the first two or three waves of swimmers will take longer than 10 minutes they'll need room for upto 20 bikes, but once things are underway you'll be filling spaces vacated by people who've completed the swim and set off on the bike.
    It should get smoother as the race progress and the swim times come down.
  • Options
    You must be coming a very long way Marshallini!

For T1 what happens to your towel etc when you have set off on the bike? do they clear it away for you?

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better
  • Options
    I'm not sure what they've got planned for T1, I can only suggest you have a small towel at poolside and towel down as soon as you get out of the pool and leave the towel (suitabley labeled) in the goggle box with your goggles.
    As it looks like it's going to be raining tomorrow you won't stay dry very long anyway, but I do know how hard it is to get a dry top on over a wet body.
  • Options
    Hi all. I'm starting to flap a little about what the transitions are going to be like. I'm planning to leave a small towel with my bike, so I can dry my feet. Hoping with a name label on it, it'll find its way back to me? I may station the other half close enough to lob it at him as I leave T1!

For T2 I am dithering about whether to take a little hand-held bottle of water/sports drink. When I'm running hard I like to have something to dampen my mouth if it gets a bit, erm, claggy is probably the politest word I can think of - ideally I would be able to spit, but I just can't. If I leave the bottle in my shoes, though, I fear leakage. So I guess that means it'll have to be water, not sports drink.

Also starting to worry about handing my bike over at T2 - where will they take it? Will they have some sort of system to match you to your bike so they know it's yours when you collect it? Normally your bike has a number as well as you, and they have to match before you're allowed to take your bike.

On a more positive note, we had a quick trip up to Matlock this morning to check out the lay of the land. The pool is right next door to Somerfield, and there is parking for about 125 there. Parking costs 20p from 10pm to 8am, then it's supposed to be short stay only - 2 hours? But if it's not open on a Sunday we should be OK. (Should have gone in and checked, shouldn't I?) There is also plenty of on-street parking in the area, though.

We had a look at the park and identified the bandstand where we finish. Also located the toilets - although whether they'll be open early I don't know. There is an excellent chippy over the road from the park - a few doors away from Woolies. (I was carbo-loading, OK?)

We then drove back through Matlock Bath and boggled at the HUGE queue of traffic on the other side of the road - everyone seemed to be trying to get to Abraham's Heights. We should be OK at the time we'll be travelling tomorrow, though!
  • Options
    Bexmanc - does that mean you're the first forumite off? Hopefully we shall be there in time to give you a cheer in transition. I shall go back and find the list of numbers.
  • Options
    Here we are - not too many to look out for

- 17 - BexManc
    17 - Not Greased Lightning
    21 - Little Miss Happy
    46 - Quimby
    50 - mark*w (Mr LMH)
    68 - marshallini

Quimby - no worries with my bike, can't see anyone else claiming it unless they're a collector of antiques! Likely to be unique too:-) Wonder if Somerfield is open with it being a BH? Any parking at the pool?

Marshallini - glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Bexmanc - hadn't thought of that - will take a disposable towel!
  • Options
    LHM, I had overlooked the fact that tomorrow was Monday, not Sunday. Doh. I bet Somerfield isn't open. Hurrah - car park to ourselves! It didn't look like the kind of car park that had closing barriers out of hours - and indeed the fact that it had parking prices from 10pm to 8am reinforces that.

Really didn't see any parking at the pool itself - there are about 12 spaces opposite, in front of a place called Imperial Court or something.