Options

Here we go again?

Comments

• Options
    you know, I've been eyeing the majors... I'm doing London in April, so that could leave Chicago, Boston and Berlin

Boston 2007 = 16th April 2007,
    London 2007 = 22nd April 2007 *doing it,
    Chicago 2007 = 7th October 2007,
    Berlin 2007 = 30th September 2007 *possability,
    Boston 2008 = 20th April

So, from the above, even though I was going to retire from marathons after London... may well do Berlin next year... man, this is getting out of hand ROFL

Pug
  • Options
    PUG I ordered it on wednesday got it today.Top service from these guys.
  • Options
    Hi,i just got back from a 6.5 mile run steady 45.36.I'm still feeling a bit sluggish from NY.Thats my fourth session since.I wont be able to use my garmin until December as it is a birthday pressie:-(
  • Options
    Good run that mate... I've done two runs since landing on Thursday... a 3.97 miler and 5.2 miler, did 24:30 for the 3.97 and 32:00 for the 5.2 last night with the club, was trying to keep up with our best runner, and failed rofl...

I'll be able to use my Garmin straight away mate, as it was my 32nd birthday on the 16th Nov when I landed :-)

Probably do a steady jog tonight... 6-7 mile me thinks...

Pug
  • Options
    Hi,done 8.6miles today 61 minutes.I felt even more sluggish than yesterday.I suppose I didn't have the best prep as I went out last night and didn't get in til 2am i was drinking lucozade and diet coke which im sure caused me dehydration which slowed me down as well as not having a pre run snack.
  • Options
    Wow - they're putting the band back together!

Hey, Rowan, Pug, Coronium, Glugg, 2 Old, & Trailrunner, I am in for FLM too. From NY to London indeed.

Not sure how i got on in the ballot, but I deferred my charity place last year so in one way or another and going for a PB (sub 4.05!).

Haven't been out running since NY and going to have one more week off, but been cycling a fair bit. Looking forward to London and thinking of going back to NYC with the missus in November. In the meantime I have entered some half maras and 10k's. Other than one half, I have never run any other races apart from Marathon's. I am hoping that booking up some shorter races will focus my training and help me speed up a bit - what do you think?

El Capitan
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Lots of chat here already good to see so many familiar faces.First run on Friday 10k in 45 mins.Just had a weekend in Paris -lots of walkin-must get out and running this week.
    Wondering if I should join a club?Cant keep doing all this alone.Any suggestions for Ormskirk/North Liverpool?
  • Options
    Any body out there? I'm feeling lonely. Rowan
  • Options
    Rowan,

I'm here!! I think Pug didn't get a place in FLM because his wife didn't put the application form in on time (she works for Flora?)

Pug has entered Edinburgh and is talking about a 2:36 time (would have got him 10th place this year!)

I'm back running a reasonable amount after NY

Fri - 12 miles
    Sat - none
    Sun - 8 miles
    Mon - 8 miles
    Tues - 6 x 1200m with 1 min recovery (4:01, 3:54, 3:54, 3:53, 3:53, 3:55)
    Wed - 6 miles

I've also now entered Fleet HM as prep for FLM.

How is it going with you?
  • Options
    Hi Coronium,bloody 'ell mate your bloody fit.
    I will be doing 4 warm up races for pre FLM but after christmas.They are:

wokingham half
    finchley 20
    breakfast 16
    reading half.

I've been training but not at full steam yet as I have tooth ache the last couple of days but will be back proper from Saturday.I am defo in the FLM as I was given confirmation from the charity that i'm in. It comes with a very high price £1400 has to be raised as well as £100 administration/entry. :-(
  • Options
    hey, just because I'm not running London, do not think that I won't be on this thread... too many ties to leave... so I'll be the annoying git on here posting crap ;-) That okay? lol...

Good stuff everyone training especially Coronium, looks like you're flying my friend...

Pug
  • Options
    Can you help us with our campaign? We are currently trying to put pressure on to the powers that be, to get a Marathon Event staged in Liverpool in 2008.

We have an online petition and are asking as many runners as possible to support the cause.

Thanks

Sign the petition now

Also visit our blog at:

Blog
  • Options
    No, put it in your own Thread! and stop spamming others! I've noticed this in around 3-4 threads now... sod off! or I'll send Rowan around ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    Hi Chaps, I'm oiut doing my first run since NYC tomorrow and will start training proper at beginning of December for FLM.

Coronium, I'm doing Fleet too - that was where i picked up my stress fracture last year!

Can you/rowan/pug help me? I want to go sub 4 in london.

Previousy i have done all the long runs etc in training. Do you think the key to me going faster is to incorprate some speed sessions/shorter races or something? Hope you can help.

El C
  • Options
    El C

Before NY I had a very unstructured format to my training. On average during the first six months of '06 I ran two long off-road runs (~14 miles; ~1:45) every three weeks. In addition to these, I would run lots of 6/8 mile runs during lunch at work - some of these I would run reasonably fast (looking back these probably could be classed as 'threshold session'). As NY approached, I increased my weekly mileage to 40-50 and increased the distance of my long runs. I went into NY with 1500 miles in my legs, 5 longest runs totalled 102 miles and I had 22 runs at >13 miles. Anyway, before NY I was feeling good + had a couple of HM races under my belt + 36min 10k. The pressure was off me slightly as my job was really to get MrsC around in a sub 3:45 and therefore I was unlikely to ‘hit the wall’.

I don’t know if this help you but I will describe my planned training for 2007

I have two goals for 2007 – a marathon (probably FLM) in around ~2:50hr and a 10k in <35min. To achieve these I realised that I had to take a more structured approach to my training. To start with I got a couple of books so I could understand how I should be training (I've also got a HRM because I felt I was running my 'recovery/easy' session too fasts; running within a HR band can stop this e.g. don’t go above 80% max which is approx 160 bpm for me). These books are “Road Racing for Serious Runners” by Pete Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas and “Daniel’s Running Formula” by Jack Daniels – if you like graphs and tables (which I do – physics background) then the second of these is very good.

In my training I'm now aiming to run 2 main sessions a week

1) Intervals (or VO2max) - typically 5-9 x 800-1200m @ >95% max HR

Or

2) (lactate) Threshold - fast for 20-40 mins at @ 90-95% max HR

And

3) Long run - 1:30 - 2hrs

Some weeks I might do all 3 sessions. I expect an avg ~45 miles per week. All other runs are classed as recovery/easy @ 65-79% max HR. I have only been doing this for the past week (!) so I don't know how I will get on, but I will post here to let you/Rowan/Pug et al know.

One of the books recommends that for a marathon you should concentrate more on (lactate) threshold sessions rather than intervals (VO2max) in the last 8 weeks before the race.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi ELCAPTAIN... well, from my point of view, I'm hitting it quite different from Coronium... however, that doesn't mean either of us is correct, everyones different.

For you, and no disrespect is meant by this, speed is not the issue as sub 4 isn't about "speed" in your legs, it's about economy running, fueling and sheer stamina due to the time you're out.

Now, if you're setting yourself a sub 4 hour target, then set the target lower... 3:50, and get used to having that as your target, that way if it goes wrong during the race for whatever reason, you have time in the bank to fall back on.

When I did 2:55:05 in NY, my target was 2:50 (and I was in that shape), but the ultimate goal, was sub 3...

Anyhow, assuming you set 3:50 as your target then... this is:

1 Mile 00:08:46.34
    2 Mile 00:17:32.68
    3 Mile 00:26:19.01
    4 Mile 00:35:05.36
    5 Mile 00:43:51.70
    6 Mile 00:52:38.04
    7 Mile 01:01:24.38
    8 Mile 01:10:10.72
    9 Mile 01:18:57.06
    10 Mile 01:27:43.40
    11 Mile 01:36:29.74
    12 Mile 01:45:16.08
    13 Mile 01:54:02.42
    14 Mile 02:02:48.76
    15 Mile 02:11:35.10
    16 Mile 02:20:21.44
    17 Mile 02:29:07.78
    18 Mile 02:37:54.12
    19 Mile 02:46:40.46
    20 Mile 02:55:26.80
    21 Mile 03:04:13.14
    22 Mile 03:12:59.48
    23 Mile 03:21:45.82
    24 Mile 03:30:32.16
    25 Mile 03:39:18.50
    26 Mile 03:48:04.84
    26.21875 Mile 03:49:59.97

which is 8:46 per mile pace

Now there's a coupel of ways to tackle this...

1). I didn't do this, but alot of people do...try and do your longer runs, starting at 8 miles at 8:46 m/m, then each week add a mile onto your long run, at the same pace. Within 12 weeks you should be at 20 mile at 8:46 m/m. I found this method hard... however, alot of people swear by it...

2). Literally pound out long runs, interspersed with 1-2 quick runs per week, and literally churn out miles... it's what I did and NEVER did any speed sessions in the 17 weeks running upto New York...

Now I think option 2 is the better option for you, as you don't need speed sessions, you need miles and maybe weight loss? How heavy and old are you mate? Let us know, and we can have a better idea and maybe offer a little more advice?

Pug
  • Options
    El C - you could follow the RW's 3:45 plan? MrsC did this and found it very useful.
  • Options
    Coronium/Pug - this is great - thank you very much for your posts.

Pug - I am 36, 6ft 1 and weigh just over 13 stone. I've struggled to keep weight below 13 stone since i gave up smoking a few months ago (aomething that should help me run long slightly faster i hope). I cut down on the beer drinking too before NY which helped and Ii seem to have carried on with that so diet/lifestyle improving. I think i do need to churn out more miles. Whilst i did the long runs at the weekends for NY, I think i needed more runs during the week. I only did one 40 mile plus week. I have relocated to london for work and my company has given me gym membership (it is below our office) so there should be no problem incorporating a run every day along the thames.

Coronium - I had a look at those books online and ordered them - I have a HRM with my Garmin 301. I've never used it though, so I think I will try adding some more science to the mix too.

At the moment I am injury free and smoke free, so I am going to set a target of 3.45. That gives me just under 5 months to improve and get this monkey off my back.

I really appreciate your help, guys. Thanks alot and havea great run today if you are heading out. (Now where did I put those damn trainers!)

El C
  • Options
    Cheers Coronium - I will get it all into my diary today and log out the sessions - Gym membership at work should mean I can get all the runs done in the week. Not always been easy where I live as I am right out in the sticks with no streetlights. El C
  • Options
    just come back from 15, that's 71.9 for the week :-( Shattered now, where's that brew ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    Well there PUG,you really mean business! and how is your new garmin?
    CORONIUM keep us informed with the training info it's really interesting.
    EL CAPITAN,PUG and CORONIUM are serious athletes they have taken their training to a really advance level and they are members of running clubs which helps.I would also add that you should invest in a garmin if you dont already have one so you can challenge yourself against training runs and keep yourself in your heatrate zones when you need to.You should also watch your diet too.In my opinion if you follow the RW sub 3.45 program strictly you will succeed and get sub 4hrs.
  • Options
    I have had a poor week where training is concerned I've had a tooth ache for a couple of days this week. I ran 8.5miles yesterday in an hour and today ran 6.5 miles 47.33 in the p*ssing rain it was really heavy I should have ran for longer but bottled it as I was freezing cold and totally saturated.I'm still feeling cold and tingley and I have been back 40 mins.
  • Options
    Well done Rowan on the run though mate... toughy when it comes to the choice in the winter of sitting in with a cuppa or punishing yourself... the thing is, you don't get quicker and fitter with cups a' tea ;-)

I'd also agree that a GPS has to be done when you're doing Marathon training, it's just so handy... mine's great mate... spot on, and from this week, will be tryingto train in my HR zone more... as it's something I never do...

Pug
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Depressed.If the date my cheque was cashed-2 Nov-is anything to go by I didnt get in on the ballot.Still want to do it .Anyone here suggest a suitable charity route bearing in mind I collected lots from everyone for this years FLM and dont really want to go back to them.
    Rowan dont knock yourself, my 8.5 last week took 67 mins although it was hilly with one long hill which reminded me of the run into Central Park.Managed two 10k s in 45 and 44 mins.I just feel I need a focus though.
    Talking of focus, Pug you are making your NY training look like a walk in the park.I will watch your progress with interest.
  • Options
    So, how's everyone doing in the play penn today?

Pug
  • Options
    Rockin' records - enjoying last few days of freedom before start training again.

Have you decided which marathon you are going to run then Pug? El C
  • Options
    Hi I did 8.3 miles in 60 mins yesterday and I ran 1.5 miles warm up then 6 x 800 meters today with some resistance training,i'm training again tomorrow,i'm starting to feel like my training has started proper now.PUG are you ready for your marathon? How do you feel?It's Sunday isn't it?EL CAPITAN,What are you waiting for? Rowan
  • Options
    Hello peeps, been working late, or is it early? Looked in on the old thread and saw Rowan's farewell, first in last out! Now on to adventures new, I also didn't get in to FLM, but not going to let that stop me getting my fix.. Nice to see some familiar faces getting back into action.
    Go El C, NY was my first sub 4 and I am 14 st, 40+ and went in with just under 400 miles, only two 40+ weeks, one 30+ and two longest runs 20.8 and 18.5.
    Just imagine what YOU can do and with all this expertise to back you up ;). I think I learned some lessons last time out and can't wait to use them on the next installment, but I think I'll leave the 70+s to the pug.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    12.5 last night and lots left in tank.Think I will stick to running every other day until after Xmas.Good to see lots of familiar faces gathering here. Rowan its as tjough by signing off the NY forum you have been able to move on with your training.Is Pug doing another already.My body would break down with such intensity.
  • Options
    Pulled out of Luton, no one to look after my lad and Sharon is off to Dublin, so not doing Luton. May do Helena Tipping 10k in Wrexham instead... I'll see how I feel.

After last weeks 72 mile... this week is more normal ;-)

Monday 8.5 = 55:15
    Tuesday 8.4 =58:42
    Wednesday 8.6 = 01:02:21

... and tonight is bog all. Haven't had one day off since I landed on the 15th November from NY... so I think, a meal, the New Bond flick.. and chill...

Friday am = 4 mile, pm = 5.1 mile
    Saturday am = 4 mile, pm = rest
    Sunday am = Helena Tipping 10k, pm 13 mile
    Total hopefully around 58 ish mile for the week hopefully!

As for marathons, well I've entered the Edinburgh Marathon on the 27th May 2007... couldn't get in London, so I'll do this one and aim for 2:35... it's gonna be one hard nasty training... but we're all here (I know I'm gatecrashing, but it's nice with friends hahaha)... and I'm sure we'll be able to give advice to a few people ;-)

Pug