Options

Cardiff Marathon - who cares?

Comments

• Options
    So, do we keep it simple and maybe just on the front (no good on the back - you need people to see it as you are approaching them) - or do we hang the expense and go for something extravegant??(sp?)
  • Options
    yeah, but i bet we all pay

lets go for techy t shirts

you are talking me into it
  • Options
    arfnarf - cool:))

I know nothing about printing! - how does that work out per shirt? - To keep it simple, single colour. Is that £15 plus printing costs per shirt?
  • Options
    a techy shirt we could wear for training, for ever
  • Options
    Obtaining a sponsor is not impossible...
  • Options
    bloody hell this is takin off

(do you want to organise the liverpool mara too)
  • Options
    hehe... then I'd never get any sleep! ;)
  • Options
    Boffin

I think you should get off here and go and give her a cuddle;))

(bloody good sweetie idea tho)
  • Options
    Peter's Pies! - The run would start opposite them!
  • Options
    Sweetie

Thats inspired

bloody hell
  • Options
    getting homesick-shurroup
  • Options
    Runner : Marathon pace : T- time
    Alan W? : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Bern : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Boffin : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Joe Peacock :
    Sue : 11mm : 2:30:00
    Sweetie : 11mm : 2:30:00
    Duck Girl : 10mm : 2:15:00
  • Options
    t shirt printing is actually my game
    on the side of my real job

website

http://www.bern.uk.com/

never done vests but i know prices

basically if you get 100 printed costs are origination + about £1.50 a print

if you have the same design on front and back say 3 colours = £45 origination
    about £20 to colour seperate
    + £150 printing costs

so = £215 print
    about £2.15 ashirt

wiggle is looking at £15 a shirt
    so total is about £17.50

you would of course pay less than £15 a shirt if you bought 100

if Peters pies or someone was approached you would charge them say the cost of Origination to get their logo on it

to put it in perspective I paid £25 for my foska vest

http://www.foska.com/acatalog/Wales_Vest.html

hope that helps
  • Options
    someone mention pies?

mmmmmmmmmmmm, pies!
  • Options
    will you be joining us for the arfnarf marapieathon Phil?
  • Options
    probably outside my levels at the moment, but i may do the 2nd 1/2 if i'm up to it!

would love to do it though - sounds great and the press would lap it up - running mags as well as echo and national rags
  • Options
    Sue just posted a link to this on the Swansea thread.

I don't want to run it (I only want to do the half anyway) but I'm happy to help with any of the admin/water station/driving stuff that you have mentioned along the way. So feel free to use and abuse me in whatever way you see fit.

I should rephrase that last bit shouldn't I?
  • Options
    Blimey....

Turn your back for a week, just to jet half way round the world to run a marathon (more later) and then read, or at least try to, hundred odd posts since last I looked.

Suffice to say I'm not going to get too involved, just that the idea of running a half, before the half isn't actually a bad one. Though that said, can I run the first half in Ammanford (from where I live), then nip in the car and run the second half in Cardiff (does that count)

Anyway, Tokyo marathon report...

First rate (bar weather and severe cramp suffered by mate). For the first mass participation marathon held in the city, they certainly know how to put on a good show.
    Key points (organisers take note)...

1.Organisation was spot on (despite the weather!)
    2 Course route was excellent - passing some of the main areas and sights in Tokyo and the looping back of some parts meant you could see friends and cheer them on
    3. Support from the volunteers and crowd was great!
    4. Medal wasn't amazing but extra little touches like flowers for the ladies at the end made it special
    5. Good times definitely possible, the bridges weren't that bad!
    6. Expo very good including massive Asics stand, Osaka 2007 World Championship stand as well as bid stand for Tokyo 2016.
    7. Excellently manned and supplied drinks stations en-route, although heralded food supplies of bananas etc did not last till five hours (unfortunate), but made up for by generosity of supporters who were buying sweets in local shops and handing them out to runners en-route.

Overall, cannot really fault it, and if anyone wants a foreign marathon experience with a bit of a difference in 2008 I would highly recommending forking out the money and the hassle of a flight etc to trek over to Tokyo

• Options
    Welcome home Sam:) - Time??

Cheers Mouse - We'll keep that in mind... I get the feeling there may be more to this before very long! ;)
  • Options
    Bit premature Boff, still in Tokyo, don't arrive home until tomorrow evening, at least I think its tomorrow, if today is Tuesday in England, because its just about WEdnesday morning in Tokyo (if you know what I am waffling on about).

Time, cough, well 5 hours, give or take a minute or two. But take into account 7 minutes to cross the start line, plus about the same again in the emergency medical tent when my friend got carried off the course with cramp and we could probably say about 4hrs 45mins. But hey, whose counting I have had a thoroughly enjoyable time out here and really, really do not want to leave (and that is not just because of the ridiculous twelve hour flight home, nor the jet-lag)...though both are significant factors!!
  • Options
    Well and truly still Tuesday here Sam:) Ouch, how is your friend's cramp??
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea guys ...
    A few things come to mind from the few posts I've read ..

There is already the RWFRC vest that you could use.

If you start two or more hours before the half, then the baggage area will probably still be closed... how about using the Sophia gardens sports centre with their lockers and showers and parking as a meeting place.

Also, The last thing you will want to do after running the first 13.1 miles is to be stopped for any length of time before you start again.
    So, for timing,you must remember NOT to arrive at St. Marys st. too early or you will be stuck right at the back of the crowds - last year from near the back, it took me 8 minutes to cross the start line.
    Maybe time it to arrive ten minutes AFTER the official gun start !
  • Options
    ok, another thing to think about on the T-shirts front - if we just make up a graphic / logo, then people can print that as an iron-on to any top you already have. This might be more feasible with a small number of people doing it (you don't need to organise sending money, getting sizes, etc etc etc).

Mummy Duck & I were the last ppl to cross the start last yr - 12 mins I think?
  • Options
    Just caught tis thread - sorry not had time to read 10 pages...

I want The Cardiff Marathon to be my first as I think it's a special City and love going there.

Is there a petition to get the marathon going - where do I sign?

Many thanks.

• Options
    steve - there is no full mara :(
    but we might be having an unofficial extra first half :)
    too late for a petition though this yr :(
    but join in anyway :)
  • Options
    M62 - there is a petition for 2008!

Cardiff marathon petition

I am terrible at doing links so finger's crossed that worked!
  • Options
    yay! practise makes perfect...

....now badger everyone you know to sign it!
  • Options
    I know I will regret this but if I can start the night before then I might make it to the start line on time
  • Options
    You planning to crawl your way there funky! ;))