Options

Cardiff Marathon - who cares?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    even bridgend had a marathon once!

porthcawl used to have the uk wheelchair mara held there, but it died off- mind you i wouldn't fancy 5 laps of town myself!
  • Options
    with boffin all the way, The Lake area and Roath park is very flat and any road closures would affect a few students, There are wide boulevards - good for a start. If the mara went near more residential areas there would be more spectators. FFS its once a year on a Sunday morning
  • Options
    OK, put aside the marathon route as such, and focus on Cardiff as a City.

What does Cardiff have to offer...?

Things like:
    Open spaces - Llandaff, Pontcanna, Bute Park, Roath Park.
    Llandaff Cathedral
    Lecwith Stadium
    Millenium Stadium
    Millenium House
    Cardiff Bay
    Cardiff Castle
    Pedestrian areas: Queen Street, working Street.
    The Museum, civic buildings.

...over to you...
  • Options
    cafes and entertainment for supporters
  • Options
    That's getting there Hipps - need to expand on that a little... thinking more in terms of a Cardiff City Day - promoting the city with the marathon running at it's core...

- Just to help what I am getting at - consider London, then think what they have missed!

- You run London (or spectate), you see the Buildings, you feel the spirit of the marathon...

...what about the Londoners? - With our London Marathon Experience, what have we learn't about them??

...Oh, I have a vision that would turn City Marathons on their heads!
  • Options
    right well let me think on this a while

alrady thinking eurpoean funding
  • Options
    Trouble with my vision is we live in a Capitalist society (nothing wrong with that as a model...) - however, the nature of what runs around my addled brain could be so easily perverted to the pressure of financial gain...

...ultimately exactly what was sought would be destroyed.

Still worth doing though - common sense may prevail:))
  • Options
    Boffin, i have signed it!!! If it comes back and i manage to complete paris then i would have a go
  • Options
    IWDI - you will complete and love Paris!

Paris have done what Boff is talking about - you will see and feel the spirit of Paris and all it stands for.

Not only that, the thing that strikes me about city marathons is it's ability to transend political boundaries. East meets West It struck me particularly in Paris, I saw flags and people from all the Continents in the World. EVERYBODY was friendly and happy, EVERYBODY was supportive of their fellow runner regardless of creed colour or political persuasion.
  • Options
    oops! sorry (about the link and the spelling!)

Keeping the petition on top:)

Cardiff Marathon Petition

• Options
    Having come back from Tokyo, where it was their first 'mass participation' marathon, I discovered that for many years they refused to have one because of the perceived disruption to business etc. However, they were convinced that it was more beneficial to have, rather than not have one. As it was, despite the rain my friend thought there were more people out supporting than there would normally be on a Sunday morning, thus generating more potential business and economic benefits for local shops etc. Now you may wonder what this has to do with Cardiff...the point being that despite the perceived disruption, actual disruption was much less of a problem than people might think. For example the rolling street re-opening employed at Tokyo perfectly well. They had a 'broom-cart' like the thing they have at the back of the Tour de France, that swept up anyone who was well outside the seven hour cut off limit as they went along. I think the first cut off was something like 5.6k (3.5M) in 1:23. A swift clean-up and the roads re-opened without too much delay or disruption.

Sue, with you all the way re. comments about Paris. Same could be said for Tokyo, 45 countries involved and a loud cheer everytime and I mean EVERYTIME we waved the Union Jack. At the finish, everyone was brilliant, we were through baggage and the finish area in 30 minutes, a model of Japanese efficiency but simply down to good organisation really. Other city marathons could learn a lot!
  • Options
    Howdo all:) Yup, efficiency is a big point Sam - good reason to have people who understand the needs of runners involved:) - Also fantastic lessons to be learnt from FLM on that front...:)

Big Hi to the Le Croupier runner I met this morning running through Tongwynlais - we had a nice chat about the potential future Cardiff Marathon... follow the link at the top of the post and drop me an email:))
  • Options
    Thanks Sue. I am looking forward to the experience and am already looking at other events!!
  • Options
    Hehehehe - Knew you would get hooked IWDI:)))

- You'll be after the Six Nations as well before you know it:)
  • Options
    lol, Boffin, thats a bit much for me at this stage....

ok, i lied. I have just taken a sneaky peak at Dublin.

I think i will get this year under my belt as i am doing Paris, Great North Run and want to either do dublin or if i can afford New York.

When syou first race?
  • Options
    IWDI-Dublin is great, highly recommended (ran it as my second marathon after FLM), if only for the Guinness and cooked breakfast on Monday morning (no intended offence to vegetarians on the thread, but the Irish sure know how to cook a restorative fry up - including both black and white pudding!!!)

• Options
    Dublin is great
  • Options
    lol, will i be sober enough to run the race?
  • Options
  • Options
    Im really annoyed, I ordered a new arm band for holding keys etc almost 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, but apparently it hasn't been lost for long enough to be declared lost and therefore replaced!!!!!!!!!!!

arrggghhhhh
  • Options
    FC - chill out.....

<passes FC a Guinness>
  • Options
    I'm on white wine myself...:)
  • Options
    beer tonight
    had a can
    supplies outside in car - cant be bethered going out - good thing as I have a 16 miler planned for tommorow
    throwing it in early this w/e so I can go on the lash watching the rugby in the arvo
  • Options
    Where are you running Bern? If you are around Pontcanna / Bute Park / Taff Trail - you may well encounter Sweetie on one of her epic runs!! :)

If you are still around there by 11 ish - watch out because Boffette will be trying to cycle without stabilisers!!!
  • Options
    Ahem, that would be one heck of a long run for you then Bern - 150miles to Cardiff then run round the parks...

...unlikely to see you there this am then!! - Methinks the wine was doing all the thinking last night! ;))
  • Options
    getting into ultras now are we?
  • Options
    I will be doing a Shepperton to Hampton Court run along the Thames taking a fiver with me for a LS around half way

I was thinking of running to Cardiff and doing the parks but I get quite stiff on the run back
  • Options
    morning all

have banardos responded yet???

My running stuff has been sitting in the post office for 10 days, at least I have it now!