Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Morning

5.12 miles done. This running lark is bit of a roller coaster ride.
    Found the loud pedal gives a tad better result than the soft one:
    11:02
    10:44
    11:32
    11:35
    11:19
    0:55(0.12mi)

JJ
    You did say, "Attack the 11:30s didn't you?"

aws
  • Options
    Good thing I didn't chuck anything in the non-existent canal.
    aws
  • Options
    <Ducks down quickly>
    "Wasn't me guv, honest ! ! "
    <Doesn't give name>
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws
    looks like you are back on track.
  • Options
    'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, wot's goin' on 'ere then? Some young whippersnapper on my patch?

Aws
    You're forgiven.

This time.

Follwing aws's example (running, not totp) I've just haad an ok run - 4.11 miles in 40 something minutes. Sunny, cold, grey, warm, rain, snow and wind.
  • Options
    Not much time - work soon.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Short run 3 miles 30:30 75% WHR.

11:02
    9:46
    9:41

Aerobics this afternoon.
  • Options
    good morning

Tracey

wow you popped in a couple of quicker miles there.

Many thanks on making the effort to get to Expo given the demands on your time.

Mind I do hope to be still around after FLM - or do you know something I don't?:-)))

aws
    double congratulations - better run and another totp - anyone would think you were planning a real coup d'etat against K2:-))

JJ
    its not losing fitness I'm worried about -its about not improving it!!!

I think, as K2 hinted I am settling into a senile state - I will have to go back a page and reread what was there!!!
  • Options
    Spud

I don't mind if you make a joke of it everyone else has in the household - even matilda laughed at my scream:-))

Chouette
    I winced at your reminiscence:-))

Ceal
    3 week or 2 week taper? I will certainly run long on the 8 April but it may not be 20+ miles perhaps 16-18 and then taper.

No more than 40 miles in the week begininng 9 April with a 10-12 mile run on 15 April but some sharper stuff in the week.

Then down to 20 miles for week beginning 16 April

I have fitted the extra miles in quite easily by getting up a bit earlier which is never a problem for me. Sunday as a long run day does tend to block out much of the day either running or recovering:-))

I don't need to go to the hairdressers too often:-))

Find the same after a long run -not really hungry but eat just because I know I need to refuel. Next day - ravenous!!

MickC
    very unusual HR output. When you were skiing were you at altitude which may have caused your HR to pick up quite a bit and it would not have changed on your journey home particulalry if it was a bit stressful.

Basically you were at <90% after 5k and stayed there!!!!

May just presage some cold, virus thing so watch out:-))
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Brrrr the wind is cold today. I wore my winter running gear again.

Total of 6.3 miles ran, of which 5.6 ran at av pace 8.41 (which coincidentally is the pace that I ran my 20 in yesterday), and av WHR 60% (123).

I received my FLM stuff today. Green Start for me. I presume the number is an indication of which zone I start in. No 29694. The numbers run from 28001---33250. I foolishly put my finishing time to be 4 hours, when I should have put 3:59.59! Anyway sounds as if I will not be too far back at the start:-)) I have not had time to read anymore than just that.
  • Options
    brilliantly clear sunny sky this am.

Was not going to run - wish I hadn't!

Stuck very large Compeed patch across area and then padded it with gauze all held on with tape.

Nice tight leggings held it all in place but must have restricted blood flow to my legs as they felt like someone elses!!:-))

Bitterly cold, strong keening wind made a mockery of the sunshine which dazzled off the fresh snow capped hills of the distant Pennines as I plodded slowly around and was quite pleased to get finished.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    x posted with TS & Tracey.

Tracey
    good running this morning, I like the 2nd and 3rd mile.

TS
    thanks for your views on tapering. I had thought for me 15 miles for 8th April, and about 8/9 for the 15th. I don't mind the running in the week at all, in fact enjoy it, but it is the weekend stuff. When both Stewart & I are running both Saturday and Sunday with visits to the Nursing Home too, there is no life outside of running:-(( NO jobs have got done in house or garden for weeks now besides essential stuff as noone has the time or energy!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am begining to see light at the end of the tunnel.

You didn't say how your leg is today.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    another x-post, now you have told us how your leg is. Remember you will have suffered a degree of shock yesterday, which will make you feel under par today, plus the stomach upset too.

Must go and do my hand weights now.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    JJ, Spud,
    Not many races around here outside of the summer months and then during the summer maybe one or two a month, certainly no ultras that I know. Travel is not much of an option as the nearest major town is 200 miles away, Montreal and Toronto.
    ceal, Chouette
    I measured my MHR by running sprints up a steep hill, hit 183 so I added 2 to make it 185. In yesterdays run I hit 179 but felt fine and throughtout the run felt ok and could have easily carried on. As soon as the snow clears I will go to my hill spot and do it again.
    TS,
    I was at altitude all week so that may be the reason. Don't feel sick but I will see in todays 10k recovery run.
    MickC
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    4 days. that's nothing. ooooerrr excited for you JJ. This time next week it will be over and recovery well on it's way. Bring it on. Thanks for the explanation re Green Start.

I am go green about it all:-))

I will leave it to TS to fix a time to meet. But I will need to find somewhere that does not only serve pasta to eat. Maybe there will be a baked potato place.

TS
    when the time comes in your taper to do some speed work, how intensive will that be, for instance, will you work in the O2 zone????

MickC
    all the best for finding your MHR:-(( TS did it recently and abused some innocent nearby crocus that were minding their own business, by vomiting into them:-((
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    What's the recommended way to measure MHR apart from up chucking on pretty flowers?
    Our spring flowers will not be long in coming. Weather forecast for Wednesday night is -16c but for Thursday +13c, shorts! Difficult to pack my kit as the forecast may be off and I will need deep winter stuff, or it may be half way right and then I will need mild winter stuff or it may be right and I need shorts etc.
    Very confusing time of year but +13c sounds very good so I may de-winterise my bonnie.
    MickC
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    This is way off topic but I would be very interested in hearing the threads view on this.
    I read any article in the Times Online about university entrance qualifications, of which the following is a quote.
    "Middle-class pupils face losing out on university places if their parents have degrees and professional jobs, after changes to the admissions system. For the first time, applicants will be asked to reveal whether their parents also went to university, as part of moves to attract more working-class students into higher education. "
    Is this still an issue in the UK?
    MickC
  • Options
    MickC
    find a nice hill, about 1 in 6ish should do it, at least 200m long.

1. Warm up thoroughly 2-3 miles increasing tempo all the time.

2. At foot of hill accelerate to maximum speed and hold for 150-200m.

3. Stop, turn round, jog rapidly down to starting point and repeat.

4. Repeat 3

5. Decoration of spring flowers is optional at this stage:-))

At some stage during those ascents you will record a maximal HR. Add a couple of beats to it and you will be close enough to MHR. Truth is you will not care any more afterwards:-)))
  • Options
    MickC

it is very much an issue and is yet another example of the distorted view this government takes on education.

They are worried that pupils from homes of degree holders will be able to perform better at interview than those from non-degree educated and gice them an advantage

DDDoooooHHHHHhhh!! Aint't they never heard about preparation, mock interviews etc which I did in 6th Form to prepare for such situations
  • Options
    MickC

it is very much an issue and is yet another example of the distorted view this government takes on education.

They are worried that pupils from homes of degree holders will be able to perform better at interview than those from non-degree educated and gice them an advantage

DDDoooooHHHHHhhh!! Aint't they never heard about preparation, mock interviews etc which I did in 6th Form to prepare for such situations
  • Options
    magic appearance above:-))

Ceal
    "speed work" will be tempo running - no sprints:-)) Mile reps etc just to maintain fitness whilst miles drop off and to make sure weight does not creep on.

Just easy miles will not fill the void left by the mileage reduction but just some miles operating around lactate threshold level will keep things on track.
  • Options
    Ceal

leg is okish thanks. Some discomfort but probably caused as much by the hairs pulling against the tape as the blister itself:-))

Skin intact anyway but only 10 miles done in 89:40 and avHR127 = 62.5%WHR

1m 9:)8 hr123
    2m 9:22 hr130
    3m 8:52 hr130
    4m 8:40 hr130
    5m 8:58 hr132 big hill
    6m 8:34 hr125
    7m 8:18 hr124
    8m 8:49 hr129
    9m 8:56 hr126
    10 9:38 hr130 Hipps Hill

I didn't run it on HR but I may just as well have done.

Rest of week is very busy so unlikley to get the time for a 20+ run in until the weekend.