Options

ARC or UK:A

Comments

• Options
    I hear that members who join the online club will have their details passed to their local club(s) who can then contact them to encourage them to join them. Subject to them ticking a box I assume on their online application. I wonder if online runners will be eligible for team prizes.

• Options
    Moe - in it's simplest form, what you're suggesting then is that T&F biased clubs affiliate to EA and road running clubs affiliate to ARC.

In the case of my club, we have an EGM tonight to decide which organisation we affiliate to. We could sit on the fence and affiliate to both, and see how things pan out over the next several months, but I detect a shift of opinion over recent weeks towards ARC only affilaition. We have about 170 adult members and stage 5 races per year plus one for our local cross country league. We have not been affilaited to SEAA for track & field - only road, cross country & fell running. We are also affiliated to BTA and are represented on BARR. If we opt for ARC-only affilaition, it could have some interesting repercussions amongst the local running fraternity.
  • Options
    Running does not need extra hurdles in its governance. It should in my opinion just be a case finding a race you want to do, fill out the form and pay the appropriate fee. UKA/EA messed about with something that was not broken?
    I'm pleased to say my club is now a member of ARC i wish them well.
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    If only it was just a case of "just finding a race you want to do, fill out the form and pay the appropriate fee.". I have been getting grief from our pro-EA county AA, in that we list events on our club website that are not UK:A permited and do not discourage members from taking part in these 'un-permitted events'.
  • Options
    I would not presume to suggest any action, just suggest that this is the way it looks like it might be going.

The thing that doesn't seem to have been grasped or understood by the higher echelons of the governance is that running can be all things to all people and you can't force all runners to want the same things from their freedom to be able to run. there are no definitive boundaries from the runner who goes out and runs around the block to keep fit to the elite athlete, all those in between pick and choose what elements to embrace, reject, try out, how much to spend on it (time & money), or how little, or even organise and be involved in it and that's part of the beauty of this wonderful pastime. Now somebody is trying to make the running community fit a template they have designed to suit some people but not all people as perhaps it did before (?), maybe as billy says 'UKA/EA messed about with something that was not broken'.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Hi Dunnarunner
    Good to see you still join the forum from time to time.
    I expect you already know, but we have affiliated to both this year. Of the rest I know that AVR have gone with ARC (or possibly both?) & Honiton have gone with EA. It would be quite interesting to have a county wide list of affiliations.
    Enjoy your EGM!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    200 minutes, AVR (the Avon Valley flavour) have affiliated to both ARC and EA (Axe Valley are listed on both the ARC and EA websites). A full list of ARC affiliated clubs can be found at http://www.runningclubs.org.uk/membership.htm
  • Options
    A quick update - last night my club decided to affilaite by a not too substantial majority to both EA & ARC, but we will review the situation again next February in time for the April renewal of affilaitions. Nobody voted for affiliation to EA only, whilst there was some solid support for an ARC only stance. We are going to run at least 1 of our 5 races under a ARC permit - our next 2 races already have EA permits, so it's likely to be the Templer Ten in November.

I've now got the task as membership secretary of writing to each & every member & asking if they wish to be recorded as a competing member, and if so, do they consent to me forwarding their personal details on to EA. I've no idea how many will consent, even though the club will pay their £3 individual affiliation fee this year. We'll decide about next year's £5 in February.

We are also waiting to see what happens in the local cross country league, where the main organising club have also hedged their bets with both organisations.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Wrinty
    Thanks for the link. By AVR I meant Axe Valley, home of The Grizzly.

Dunnarunner
    Very similar outcome to our AGM; we are also paying the £3 runner's affiliation fee this year. Next year it will be optional with runners to pay it in addition to their subs if they want to.
  • Options
    RW have sent the following link to race organisers, it outlines the RRLG's plans.

RRLG Proposal

Quite a dramatic change of tack, apart from the first line no real explanation as to why things have changed. The last paragraph in the blue panel is interesting, which members are being replaced and why? Have they already stood down?

If this plan had been proposed right at the start how would we all have reacted then?

Is there a recognition (by UKA / EA) that the original proposals were ill conceived?
  • Options
    Following the announcement by UKA/RRLG the Association of Running Clubs issued the following statement " The recently announced UKAthletics/Road Running Leadership Group proposals for the future of road running demonstrate yet again the intention of UKA/RRLG to sideline the running and athletic clubs. UKA now seek to establish an online club in direct competition for members with established running clubs.
    The proposals increase bureaucracy and the regulation of road races and this is unwelcome. The switch of fees from unattached levies to race licences was anticipated and ARC cannot comment on these until the level of charges which will be applied is known.
    ARC, run by volunteers, has very low costs and intends to remain competitive on all fronts in the future."
  • Options
    Moe - the RRLG statement doesn't say who will get a vote when the new panel is decided next March.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    RRLG is proposing to introduce a sliding scale for permitting an event, but you will be allowed to keep the unattached fee.

Last event I organised had 120 runners, 6 unattached, Cost to the club for the permit £0.

So how much is the new permit going to cost absed on a sliding scale? potential revenue was £12.

How are they going to administer the cost? you don't know up front howmany runners you will have.

Seems like another cynical scheme to me to appear to give with one hand, and take MUCH more with another.

Well spleen vented, I'll just retire to a dark room with the dogs and we shall all go for a virtual run :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mak's friend - I've heard talk of 40 pence per runner, I guess it would be based on your race entry limit, but no definite details have been issued yet.

so this will lead to yet another increase in entry fees for most races.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Apparently it will be based on the actual number of entrants, which rather oddly will mean paying for the permit in arrears...
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    So for my race that about £42, less the £12 I get to keep, so total cost is £30. Before it was free for an affiated club.
    Great step forward.
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic....

Do race have to charge more for non-affiliated runners?
    Frequently the charge is the same for entries on the day, so as wellas paying the £1.00 or so for entry on the day I have paid an extra £2.00 as well
  • Options
    Yes. As an unaffiliated runner, this has allowed you to have the same insurance cover as affiliated runners.
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Perhaps what I should have said was can they charge affiliated runners the same as non- affiliated, ie the same price/ no reduction for being a club member?
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Under the present system Race Organisers have to pay UKA £2 for every unaffiliated runner who enters their race. Not unreasonably, they tend to pass this cost on to those unaffliated runners. It is not compulsory to do so, although clearly the money has to come from somewhere.

Under the proposed system, race organisers will still have the opportunity to charge unaffiliated runners extra. It doesn't look as though they have to. As the majority of races are run by running clubs, I expect they will maintain differential pricing in favour of running club members.

Similarly with charging extra for entries on the day. Races don't have to do this, but it makes administrative sense to encourage advance entries.
  • Options
    It concerns me slightly that ARC have stated that UKA affiliated runners will be able to enter ARC permitted events at the affiliated rate, if they are under the umbrella of another organisation how is this so?
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Yes I realise that clubs want to encourage advanced entries but frequently the £2.00 differential disappears for entry on the day.

Been looking at the figures for a large west country half marathon
    15,000 entries, say 60% not club members, money handed over £18,000 in non affliated charges under the old scheme.
    9,500 finishers, money handed over £3,800 handed over in total charges.
    This is a big drop in income for EA and reduces the amount of money that can be put back into the regions.
    Or will the organisors have to pass on the full £2.00 for non affiliated entrants who do not take part?
  • Options
    Moe: ARC choose to recognise EA-affiliated runners (Not that there are many of them right now. Several EA-affiliated clubs, not many EA-affiliated runners.) whereas EA don't recognise ARC-affiliated runners (anyone who belongs to an ARC-affiliated club). I think the problem is with EA, not ARC. ARC's insurance covers both.

Musketeer: If the £2 differential disappears it's usually because the organisers want to make things as simple and swift as possible - if you've got 300 people entering in a 30-minute period (it's happened to me!) then the last thing some feel they need is differentiated pricing. So they round the price UP and everyone, affiliated and unaffiliated alike, pays the highest price. Not a practice I agree with particularly but I can understand why it's done. "200 minutes" has it right when he says that organisers want to encourage advance entries rather than entries on the day, we have managed to do without EOTD for two years now in the Yateleys and it's much easier.
  • Options
    Andy, I guessed it was probably all sorted, I just wondered as on the surface it seems odd that you could be insured by affiliation to one organisation but then be covered by another without payment of any extra levy.

........ you only think the problem is with EA?!! ;-)
  • Options
    Andy You say "ARC choose to recognise EA-affiliated runners (Not that there are many of them right now. Several EA-affiliated clubs, not many EA-affiliated runners.)"

More propaganda from an organisation of 80 clubs, many of whom I suspect have dual affiliation. Let's wait until say Christmas before you repeat that.

• Options
    At the beginning of June 600 clubs had affiliated to neither ARC nor England Athletics. Of the 527 clubs who had affiliated to England Athletics 200 had registered no competing members. In early early June just 25865 competing members had been registered with England Athletics. Hardly a big vote of confidence for this unwanted body forced upon the running clubs by Sport England. Why should the road runners pay for the development and support for a very few elite track and field athletes ?
  • Options
    robin_hood: I am not a propagandist, as Michael has illustrated. I know for a fact that the confusion over individual affiliation pervades even some of the best informed clubs. Many members of EA-affiliated clubs don't realise that they themselves are not affiliated unless they pay the additional £3 and fill in the EA forms to be sent through their clubs.
  • Options
    Robin Hood, This is a forum, designed so that people can discuss topics openly and air their views. The pure fact that ARC exists at all should be a clear message to all that there is a problem to discuss. Your tone comes across like Andy just insulted you.

Tell you what if Andy say's anything else you don't like why not 'offer him outside'? ;-)

Seriously though, you have to admit that the interim solution for a lot of clubs seems to be 'sitting on the fence', joining both organisations without commiting fully to EA and who can blame them after all a large majority of the running community don't really fully understand (and don't want to understand**) the politics of the situation.

** Most of us just want to enjoy running, we get enough 'politics' at work.
  • Options
    Thanks for the defence of this forum, Moe, with which I agree.

I'm quite happy to debate the issues here, down the pub, or in email. Unlike some, I don't use a pseudonym and am quite happy that people know who I am.

This topic now has 510 entries, so I guess politics remains quite popular, really.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    AL
    Quite so, this really is one of the more interesting threads!
    Reading back on my posts, I realise I may come over as rather anti-EA. This isn't really my position, I'd much rather they got it right - but they keep frustrating me with inspired acts of lunacy...