Options

Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

LR - speaking of people who push too near the start for their ability, check out this racing snake (minus T-Shirt) from the start of last years Belfast Marathon...

http://www.annadalestriders.co.uk/Photographs/Marathon07/imagepages/image6.html 

WTF is that all about then?

Must check the results to see if he was beaten by fellow offender No 1702. image

Hysterical.

SJ 

• Options

I thought you might ask that GFB.

It's a male-only afflication that norammly takes place when the temperature drops severely to the extent that things can get a little tangled "down there" resulting in minor lacerations and resultant excessive bleeding due to a raised heart rate whilst running.

How diplomatically put  is that! 

SJ

P.S. Happened to me once on an LSR in white shorts. Very, very embarrassing.

• Options

LR im curious to know what the 'cheese wire effect' is too - maybe its better we dont know though!

I must say all the runners round where i live are quite friendly - its the female walkers who look at you as if you've got two heads and have gone mad - this is particularly so when i pass fully made-up female walkers 'strolling' along with the perfume wafting behind them - I tend to pass these things when i have nearly finished and the sweat is beating of me and im all red & blotchy!! i dont think they realise what sweat is!

• Options

Err.. that should have been "normally".

Sorry for the typographical error LR. I'm not really a Dilbert, honest.   

• Options

SJ that sounds painful beyond beliefimage 

Oh my god!!! see the guy in the fitness first top the the very right of the pic (beside no A2459 in the blue?) that guy is a personal trainer in my gym!!

• Options
    SJ - that is very diplomatically put.  So diplomatic I'm not sure what you're talking about.  You have confirmed one of the reasons I never run in white shirts or shorts though.
  • Options

Amazingly Roisin, it hardly hurts at all due to the fact that things are normally almost frozen and de-sensitised as such. Bit of shock getting undressed after the run through! 

As for stepping into a warm shower...... imageimageimage

SJ

• Options
    erm dear god my eyes are watering, lets just say i'm glad i dont have 'all that' down there! sometimes it good to be a woman!!!image
  • Options

SJ... image... as BK said, diplomacy has left it a little shroudded in mystery but it still sounds really sore.

I remember when I started pee-ing blood when I started training last year.  I had to be peeled off the celing.  The shock.  Have to admit that it sounds toe-curlingly embaressing to have an attack of it while running in your snowy whites... poor you. 

• Options

Looks like diplomacy was a partial success.

Let's try some clarity for Barry...

It's when your member gets caught in and sliced by your pubic hair.

There, I've said it. Confusion over. 

SJ

• Options
    LOL...nice TOTP!!
  • Options

ha-ha... Like the way that Barry gets to carry the can for everyone else's inquisitive nature. 

• Options
    SJ - yes I can see how that could be painful image
  • Options

I guess the pertinent question would be "which is more painful... cheese wire effect... or a wax!" image

• Options

too much information!!! i like the diplomacy better!!image

• Options

Ahem, changing the subject rather swiftly - has anyone heard about, read about or tried out these things:

Nike Free

http://www.runnersblog.co.uk/images/free4big.jpg

As I've been off the scene for a while I was thinking of giving them a try. Picked a pair up last week in the sales but they feel like a cross between a racing flat and Peter Kay's fast slippers to me so I'm unsure whether to just wear them around the house or venture out for a run in them.

Not sure the latter would be wise given my notorious glass legs.

Any input welcomed as always.

SJ     

• Options

um....do these look black? I bought them off ebay for £12 inc delivery, and the pair that arrived is navy blue. which is just not as good at optically reducing my derriere.....sigh......not sure whether to keep them as they're still nice shorts in terms of comfort, or return them and spend an extra tenner in the shops on a pair that are black? dilemna.....image

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/bb/c1/6259_1_b.JPG

• Options

DTB - the dark nights are here. Blue is fine. Spend the difference on a high visibility jacket which will serve to distract unwanted attention from the posterior issue you probably don't have.

SJ image 

• Options

I've never tried Nike Free but I've read that the idea behind them is that they are much closer to running barefoot than in a normal pair of shoes.  Probably a good idea to get used to wearing them before venturing out for a run.

Speaking of night time running.  How well do the little reflective panels work on Nike tech tops?  I don't have any form of fluorescent yellow top.  My running is pretty much all on footpaths along lit roads so I wasn't sure how much extra visibility I need.  I've not ventured out yet but I don't think my fitness will survive too long if I only run at the weekend between now and February.

• Options

Have to say must be time for a new screen, as they do seem to have a blue tinge to them.

Not tried the Nike free's, but do know a couple of people that have tried them and seem to get on alright with them. Sorry not a lot of help, might be worth while just to get out and give them a go on a short run.

• Options

Barry,

If you don't want to buy a new top, (and I have to say I do think buying something that is highly reflective is a really good idea, no matter where you are running) then get a bib type top that has the reflective strips on it, should only cost about a £5 or so. It has to be better then being run down by somebody riding a bike on the path and not looking where they are going!

• Options
    Initially they did look black but on squinting they do look blue.  Those are some flash gutties SJ!!  Do they come with a shell suit?
  • Options

GFB,

Maybe with the shoes and the shell suit, SJ should get one of these as well?

http://www.jdm-per4mance.com/images/Impreza-1.jpg

• Options

I'm glad to report that mine are black and silver, not yellow.

Even if I do model the rest of my wardrobe on David Icke, garish footwear is not my style GFB!

SJ

• Options

Is that a picture of amadeus' car?

Recommendation noted regarding bright reflective top.  I'm not sure what I did before when I ran in winter.  Not training for marathons I guess made it easier to cut back quite a lot. 

• Options

Thanks for teh reminder, I forgot to mention Subaru Impreza drivers in my Room 101 GOM. No thanks, besides at the risk of upsetting DTB, I'm saving for one of these...

http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/images/hummer_geiger.jpg

Only kidding DTB, I don't like the colour. image

SJ 

• Options

JJB sell yellow reflective waterproof jackets and gilets for £8.99 and £8.39 respectively and they're very good.

Wore the jacket on the very soggy GUCR this year and it was miles better than the considerably more expensive ones I have.....

• Options

thanks SJ - a diplomatic answer from a man who clearly has finely honed survival skills from a living in a house full of women!

It may be a funny colour because my laptop is a LCD screen thingie! Maybe it is blue! lol....anyway, they're comfy so I'll keep em image

I have the JJB hi viz stuff too, it's v good! 

• Options

look blue to me, look nice too, i really must buy some new bottoms for running, maybe i'll suggest some for christmas!

Thank HH/DTB on the hi vis recommendations, for some reason this year i like being out in the dark so it would be wise to get kitted out (another christmas request?!?!?!?)

impressive cars guys! ahem!image