Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

haha, cheers fella, yeah, thought I'd actually be quicker, but had a stinking mile of 4:28 up a 14% climb that wiped me out with the average mph, shame as I reckon could've been over 19mph average... but wasn't any equivalent down hills to make up the time...

As for training/racing, nope, I'll do what I've been told and wait until I can't feel a single thing either walking or trotting 100 metres, and if that takes 2 weeks, 4 weeks or whatever, I'll simply have to wait... the former would be nice though.

Then I'll come back. Plan is, lose another 5-6lbs while I'm out if it's 2 or more weeks... which'll take me very very close to 12 stone... that way, like posted earlier, I can at least come back lean and mean... that's the plan anyway... the plan still is to hit 11st 7lbs for London and 11 stone for Edinburgh or as close as my body fat will let me... once I get to 8% BF, then I'll sack the diets off forever... and train properly for once.

I haven't spoken to my mate, but I'll probably do London with him, get him under 4 hours, as even with hardly any training, I should be able to at least do that... then focus on the summer months for Autumn... all soudns far to sensible for me... and I'll probably be racing 11am tomorrow morning rofl... I won't promise, although it'll be good to speak to DOT tomorrow at Village Bakery Half... 

Pug image

• Options

A little 5 miler today, tagged in at 30:02 officially. That's what will hit the record books. Sadly short of minimum qualifying standards for a ranking, but happily short of the same standard for disqualification from the summer 4 mile series.

Interestingly the Garmin went beep as I crossed the finish line, and said that I'd taken 3 seconds to press the button.

30:02 it is though, and a big pb.

BYW Dan Robinson won, reducing his own course record.

• Options

Some great training going on

EdB - that's dedication doing 1k track reps at the weekend.

Gatorade - good luck for the 10k (sub-33?)

Padams - have a good run at Watford. I assume you already have the trophy won?

Pug - wow, that is some weight loss. The cycling sounds like a good x-session, keep at it.

Gobi - I'm sure you will feel much better tomorrow. I never feel 100% before a race but suddenly get a lot better once the gun goes - purely psychosomatic + I always have some lame excuses prepared before any hard reps session. Best of luck.  

• Options

Thanks for the good luck wishes will try my best to crack 33 in spite of mileage.

CF - yep I meant -ve split, but thinking +ve image

• Options

NtS - the treadmill challenge sounds great but I am committed to having a good go at the FLM so will reluctantly have to pass on it.

I agree with your comments on the conversion from HM to the full marathon...it's something to do with getting past 20 and thinking 'this is just 10k now'..always guaranteed to make the wheels fall off!

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Coro - no, I'm one point ahead, so if SH wins and I come second it will be a tie. He can only win outright if someone gets between us. Ideally I will win tomorrow anyway!

Good luck to all the others racing tomorrow.

• Options

Hail Hail

Another good day at the footie.  Even managed to keep TR and NtS happy with 7M there and 5M back both at recovery effort (which still came in at sub 7.00s).  Aiming to break 20M tomorrow for another 80M+ week.

Good result for DanA by all accounts.

Good luck to all those racing tomorrow. 

gatorade - 100M+ week and a sub 33 10k?  Nice work if you can get it!   Arrabesht!

• Options

Evening

Phil/Running Bhoy - thanks for the congratulations. Had a nice evening and a huge curry, perfect!

Managed an easy 7 miles early doors prior going to Birmingham for the athletics. Some fantastic performances, the highlight was watching Bekele break the world record for 2 miles previously held by Gebreselassie. Unfortunately Mo Farah was really off the pace almost from the gun - not sure if that was because he was having a bad day or Bekele was in simply awesome form.

Loads of other great stuff to watch too, Kelly Sotherton coming close to beating Kluft and pb'ing in the hurdles and 400m, Phillips Idowu making the triple jump look easy etc etc. Great stuff.

Off to bed now as it's 21 miles for me in the morning at 8am.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Just posting the first "result" of the day... San José del Vallé 5 miler - abandoned due to high winds and rain.  I hope they don´t visit the UK as i´m sure we´ve all ran and raced in far worse. 

Anyway, I drove home on a sugar high and ran my local 5 mile route in 31.19 with splits 6.22 (uphill into wind), 6.17 (downhill into wind), 6.13 (bit of both/the turn), 6.19 (up hill wind behind), 6.06 (downhill wind behind).  Ave HR prob 160 / 83% ish but it was actually quite wet so the reading kept jumping.  I´d like to think I could have got close to a sub 30 in the race but it wasn´t to be. 

• Options

Sue,

I watched the Birmingham meet on the BBC and it did look like a good day's athletics.  I was surprised that MtR's beloved (Kara...) didn't make much of an impact on the 3,000m, but maybe she's planning a marathon debut so the legs aren't fast at the moment?

Friday's fizzio session was surprisingly positive - after 5 days' complete rest (no running, no cross-training - a completely mind-numbing depression-inducing nada) everything felt close to ok, with just a tiny bit of the tendon creaky, and that was only discernible on frictioning.  So, I woke up yesterday with a glint in my eye and a spring in my step and decided to try a 5 miler, just to find out if there was any chance of my toeing the line at Reading (I seem to have entered the bliddy race twice - and paid for 2 t-shirts to boot??). 

The great news was that for the first 1.5/2 miles I felt great.  The not so great news was that this didn't really continue and by the end things were relatively painful again.  The moderately encouraging news is that a LOT of careful icing alternated with heat and then stretching seems to have left if fairly ok today (although I'm back popping ibuprofen again, so it's difficult to know how much the pain is being disguised). 

Seeing the podiatrist on Thursday to see if all this is biomechanical.  But having done some core work yesterday afternoon I suspect that core instability may have its part to play (somehow I feel like too much of a slob if I watch athletics on TV for 3 hours non-stop without doing some exercise - and I'd watched Bristol Rovers beat Soton as well - goggle eyes).

Anyway, best of luck to the weekend's racers - Gobi, Gator and Padams spring to mind, but there may well be others I've missed!

Right, really must work now - I've come into the office to clear a paperwork back log...

• Options
    Oops, I'm a slow typist - good training run/race Olly. What a pain in the aerosol it was cancelled!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools
    It must be getting better though - its bound to groan a bit at first.

I'd perservere with stretching nad strengthening - you've runs lots of miles with your current bio-mechanics.

10M more for me.

Flipping achy legs too - 20M on new scoobies I guess, although I pushed the 2nd 10 abit into thw wind y'day.

I'm off to do some stripping - sadly its just paintwork. Good job really though cos the NE wind has left me with a walnut and an acorn !
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jools and it looks like it´s sadly going to be a slow patient wait for you.  We watch in hope.  And working on a Sunday! Very keen...
  • Options
    Keen?  No choice!
  • Options

Morning.

TR - LOL!

Sorry 'bout your race Olly but a good training run anyway.

Jools -  Glad that your news was positive, I would have done exactly the same as you tbh and done a 'test' run. Doesn't sound like you have done too much harm, maybe a few more days of patience though? And with reference to an earlier post about you not having much talent - pah! Piffle and Poppycock, you have talent and and excellent attitude to hard work!

Phil and Running Bhoy - Thank you for the congratulations. Don't ask about the 15th Feb being our wedding date RB, it involves getting married in Sri Lanka and a balls up by our travel agent!

A lovely 21.2 miler this morning, split into 10ish off road (hard work due to the frozen ground) and then the rest on concrete. Lovely run. Typically progressive, steady miles and picking up for the last 7 or so to close to MP. Didn't feel so tough as last week, must have been the jelly babies.

Happy running folks!

• Options

Probably one of the most difficult but rewarding training runs ever yesterday. Both clubmate and me and to be off early. He is a liverpool fan and was going to the game, I was doing the banqueting at Bradford City. So we met at 7:30 and set off with the temp guage showing -4!

Beautiful views and splenidid viewing conditions - http://andscapetherhotographybyeilarvey.fotopic.net/p27458457.html

Goitstock falls was about 3 miles into the run. And then Cullingworth and Hewenden Viaduct. Climbing up on to Thornton Moor to get a magical view of Leeming reservoir - http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/nature/nature-diary/large.asp?pic=361

Got to Marsh Lane, Oxenhope in 1hr 42 (10.3 miles @ 10 min miling!). Turned, and then reversed the run, getting a completely different perpective on the scenery.

3 hours and 18 minutes (mostly) of pure pleasure.

20.6 miles with 3200 ft of climbing - NICE!

Good luck Gobi and any others racing...... 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Brian, that really does look like a smashing run.  Very picturesque.  I do miss the rolling green fields of home - the Spanish sierra just isn´t the same.  Good climb too - i´m sure you´ll feel the benefits.
  • Options

Hail Hail

At last a 20M to my name.  Struggled again after 13M, but found a second wind after 15/16 so decided to push on.  Slowed off, and found it much more comfortable physically, although it was definietly tough mentally.  Ave pace was 7.10s.  Bluddy cold - should have worn gloves.

DanA as I mentioned had an absolutley STORMING race yesterday.   Having checked course records etc, a cynic would be inclined to think that the course was more than a tad short, but even if it was (and I doubt it), it was simply OUTSTANDING!!!!

Nice training Sue, Olly.  Fingers still x-ed Joolska.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks RB hopefully i´ll get a 20 miler next weekend to my name...
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Cheers RB.  Since these sort of races come around so rarely, I'm inclined to write a race report, so here goes...(oh, and the course was actually marginally longer this year - but only by 500yards - due to a new finish position).

Race: Thames Meander

Distance: 54 Miles

Course Record: 7hrs 55m

My time: 7hrs 23m

Position: 1st!!!!!

A race I've done a couple of times before - in 9h46m & 8h10m - so managed to scare some poor sod witless on the train when he asked what sort of time I'm was looking for.  Never know who's going to turn up, so had no real clue as to what to expect, but knew I was in good ultra shape as I've been putting the miles in since the autumn.

About 210 runners on the start line, many of them carrying a fair bit of kit as they were preparing for this year's Marathon des Sables; but I just had a lightweight pack with water, spare top, bit of food and so on.  A group of about a dozen went off at the front, which I was part of.  First bloke I spoke to (Tim) won last year's Grand Union Canal Race (145 miles) and found out later that he was the pre-race favourite amongst the organisers.  Also in the group was one of the better up-and-coming ultra runners in the UK, Ian Sharman (7.10 at Comrades last year), but also well known for being the lad who set the sub-3 world record at FLM dressed as Elvis.  The lead group running at between 7m/m and 7.30 m/m pace was down to about 7 after 10 miles at Checkpoint 1 (CP1) in Henley.

Quite soft underfoot for the next few miles, so a fair bit of slipping in the mud.  Tim makes a bit of a break - no idea just how good he is, so I'm in a quandary - do I stay or do I go.  Decided to work him back in over the next four miles and get on his shoulder to give him a reminder and stay there until we get to Marlow after 19 miles and CP2.  Only five of us now in the lead group.

Everyone stops to fill water bottles, so I just run through and make a bit of a gap.  A couple of miles later as I'm going through a gate I turn round, and Tim is the only one visible.  He catches me and we're stride for stride in silence up to about 24 miles.  Suddenly he disappears and I think he's ducked out for a piss.  Decide to put my foot down as I'm feeling good and get a good fast pace going into Maidenhead.  Glance over my shoulder and noone in sight.  Only one problem; my guts are in turmoil, and am forced into an alfresco, a la CRAB, in the bushes at the side of the path.  Think that I'm going to be overtaken but nobody appears and I'm moving again towards CP3 at 29 miles.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Long run to Windsor, and nobody in sight behind.  Beginning to hurt now, and I take my first walking break (plus another alfresco) after about 35 miles.  Get going nice and strong after that on my own all the way into CP4 at Runnymede after 39 miles.Another 9 miles to the last checkpoint, and this is full of all the joyous highs and lows of ultra running.  No idea how far behind the next man is, and constantly thinking that they'll appear on my shoulder.  A few times a runner appears, but turns out to be a harmless passer-by, one of which is horrified when he enquires where I started.  Have to stop to be sick a couple of times (occupational hazard for me in ultras), but run almost all of the way, albeit at a slowing pace, to CP5 at 48 miles.Only 6 miles to go; surely I can't fck it up from here, but still could be someone right behind me for all I knew.  Good motivation to keep going, and a first look at the watch tells me that I'm in for a big course record.  Eventually the finish comes into sight, and I stop the clock at 7h23m - about 8.12 m/m pace overall.Ian comes in second about 15-20 mins later, and a German lad is third (he tells me he trains with Jens Lukas - 3 times winner of the Spartathlon).  Turns out that Tim dropped out just after I dropped him at 25 miles.  A few celebratory beers and I'm feeling right as rain today.  Lovely day out there, so I might go for a few casual loosening miles later on after the footie.  Or I might just lie on the sofa.Managed the whole race eating no more than a couple of liquorice alsorts.  All in all, a good day out.  I thoroughly recommend it.  And a rare pot for the prize shelf...
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Dan A - Wow well done! That is a truely strong effort - i´m half in awe of ultras and half scared to death of the idea of them but you´ve got a fantastic result. 
  • Options
    DanA - yet again I take my hat off to you. Stonking run, absolutely bloody fantastic! Well done image

Blisters - well done also.

Jools - sounds like progress, so fingers crossed.

Will read back more later, but hope everybody is well. I had another attack of the sensibilities yesterday, and under advice I had another day of no-running (did some weights and core work though) to give my ankle an extra day to recover fully. Did slip out and bag a nice 11-miler this morning though, which has left me with a still respectable 76 for the week (even more respectable as it was done in only 4 days of running), and ankle feels much better for it image Bloody freezing this morning though, apparently ~ -8....... On the plus side though it's getting brighter earlier image
  • Options

Afternoon sub3ers!!

Dan A- Nice report and an absolutely awesome result, smashed the course record well done matey!! and all on a couple of liquorice all sorts nice!

Weather has been fantastic this weekend so got a steady 40 miles out on the bike yesterday to help loosen up the legs for my 10k today as the legs have been feeling a littl etired! not to sure what to expect this morn as i have steadily been increasing my mileage over the last month and have done little to no speed work so wasn't holding my breath for a sub 35 min.

Race was over at Aldershot around the barracks and again what a great day to run! Felt really good and the legs felt strong after the cycle and came home in 33.03 so a new pb so pretty chuffed! with average HR of 165 which is a good 10-15bpm lower than usual race Hr so doing something right.

Hope everyone else has done well if your racing today!

• Options
    Congratulations, Dana.  Course record (especially with that extra 500 yards...) and 1st place is a pretty good day's work.  I'm clearly made of fairly weak stuff, as the thought of putting myself through races where I regularly chunder is not one I'd entertain for long!  Good race report, too - I'm sure Crabby will be delighted to have warranted a mention.
  • Options

first class effort DanA... terrific result and smashing the course record to boot ...

hope you maintained your usual performance of the best +ve split of the day too image

• Options

Holly Sheeeiittt DanA. Once again you've proven to be the daddy on this thread... that is one, a truley great race report and two, an awesome awesome run and time. How the heck you do it is truley beyond me and full respect to the big brass ones hanging down below. Holly molly, that's impressive.

I watched DOT Kick some serious butt today at the Village Bakery Half Marathon... seen, Njord but didn't get to say hello... but if anyone wants pictures to see themselves whoever ran it, just posted on my website...

Village Bakery Half Pictures (Njord & DOT maybe?)

Pug image

• Options

DanA Awesome result.  I can't even imagine running that far let alone at that pace, very impressive.

Kempez Well done on the pb and at that hr there is clearly lots more to come on fresher legs.

I ended going a little further than planned for today's long run as I discovered one of the footpaths I run down was closed and had to find an alternative route (padams did you know the alban way is closed?) so 23.5 miles at my usual slow LR pace of 8 min/mile.  Was planning on going a bit faster this time but the hip niggle that I've had for the last couple of weeks was bothering me.  Probably time to see the physio about that one.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Dan A, AWESOME, I needn't say any more!!!

Top effort Kempez, always got to be happy with a PB.

A nice gentle 8.5 for me this morning, lovely day for it as I missed the worst of the chill first thing.

• Options

Pretty Boy Words fail me - for once.  The fair effort of all fair efforts.  If there is a criticism it's a highly disappointing alfresco count for 54miles I managed one when we meandered 10miles by the Thames a year ago.  Must try harder son.  Now fck FLM off and do something fckn useful in April cos you'll only blow up spectacularly and take your ball home early doors again ;o)

Biking too much to report any running of note ;o(

As you were.