Options

Wilkinson Ackworth Half Marathon

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Sarah L - yes, it's quite a tough race. The first half ios the hardest and the hill at the 3-4 mile mark is quite long and steep but there are also plenty of flat/downhill to get your strngth back. And the last mile is pretty much all downhill so makes for a great finish. I can definitely recommend it!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    amanda s wrote (see)
    LS21 - was great running with you too - made the miles go by much quicker! Good luck with the training. I'll look out for you on the forum for future races in west yorks - you can pace me in future!
    I'll do my best!! Would be great to meet up again actually, so yes I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled. Good luck in Boston too - I'm sure you'll be fine, and I'll look out for a race report once you're back home. Good luck and hope to see you soon.
  • Options
    hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Dave A-Bugger thought it was a half and full,ah well looks like I'm not running till June(Blaydon)after London,bring on the pies!!!!!
    Jovi/K9 maybe see you at beadnall??
    Pip Pip
    Hazzer
  • Options
    NameNumberEst. timeActual timeDave A23980:0079:41Haz238100:0097:29Sore shins138100:00100:36K9999105:00??????Diana C2990110:00118:09LS 21254110:00102:39Jovi Runner1060115:00102:25SM510115:00116:54RTG????140:00?????

As you see Haz I was not the best fortine teller. But here are the lottery numbers for next Saturday 11,13,27,38,41,45.

Sorry K9 I couldn`t find you on the results page.

RTG ???????

Sore Shins I will be at Caldervale......Look out for St Georges Cross!

Diana I must have spoke to you `cos I must have passed you near the end and SM always speaks.

LS 21 & Jovi it worked for you guys pairing up dint it?

And ......joking apart ...well done Dave you did the forumites proud mate.

• Options
    That was in aneat table and it dint work. image
  • Options

Name            Number             Est.time          Actual time   

Dave A             239                   80:00                 79:41

Haz                   238                100:00                 97:29

Sore shins      138                100:00               100:36

K9                     999                 105:00             ??????

Diana C2        990                   110:00             118:09

LS 21              254                   110:00              102:39

Jovi Runner    1060                115:00             102:25

SM                     510                115:00              116:54

RTG                ????                140:00                 ?????

• Options

I'd heard it was tough which is why i didn't attempt it this year. My first half will be GNR in October. I have to say i drove out that way yesterday and have seen the hill your refering to. I think i would have had to power walk it, thre's no way i could ahve run up it.

Great times everyone image

• Options
    I is doing the GNR also. Been told (by my non running husband) that I shouldn't do it as I have my first marathon three weeks earlier. Bah!
  • Options
    hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Diana the percieved wisdom is that it takes as many days to recover as the miles you race(in this case 26)I suppose it depends how hard you want to run the gnr and how hard you run your marathon.
    Whatever you decide good luck
  • Options
    Well that's it. I would agree with him if it was a normal run of the mill half. But it's not really is it? I think I'm doing the GNR purely for the atmosphere and to say that I have done the GNR!!! I can't see me caning it.
  • Options
    hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Diana,the GNR is in all honesty a bit of a shuffle and unless you're starting near the front it's pretty hard to get a head of steam up,I reckon you should be fine if you are just going for the atmosphere-which is great-do bear in mind that there's a bit of a climb from around 10 -11 miles and a hell of a drop at mile 12 that can really do your quads in.Hope it goes well

Hazz
    P.S.I find using water bottles to squirt the crowd goes down well!!!
  • Options

Rigormortis is now starting to subside after my 2nd Ackworth run !

Did anyone notice Thora Hurd's mother trying to drive through everyone at the start. That really could have made the news wiping out 600 runners.

For the record I limped home in 107 mins,a year older and slower. Perhaps steroids are the way forward ! image

May have a stab at another local run - Any recommendations ?

• Options

Yeah I saw her Suedeheed she was something else wasn`t she?

I forgot about you mate , we could have met and discussed the sexual pros and cons of Betty Rubble, Jessica Rabbit  and Penelope Pitstop on the way round.

Anyway you beat me by 9 mins (but I wasn`t reely trying) image

R U doin` the Yorkshireman in September?.......THE RACE I MEAN.

Also I dint see David Dicking son running like a girl how did he do?

• Options
    I'm doing the Yorkshireman SMimage
  • Options

Hey Skip, 

Will take a look at the Yorkshireman but still unsure if I actually like running !

Build up is good,after is also good.It's just the bit in the middle which could be better.

Anyway I can now reveal that Mr Dickinson is my drinking nemesis G7 Rye (Sicknote). Unfortunately he remains an Ackworth HM virgin  due to dodgy legs.

Hopefully will run again if I can find those rose tinted running glasses !

• Options

I agree 100% about the bit in the middle.

G7  AKA    Mr Sicknote   seems like a damn good fellar to me......I was disappointed he dint make it.

I think you will like the Yorkshireman....but what would I know? I never did it myself yet.

Go and see the thread.

Off to bed for SM.........now where`s my Betty Rubble picture? image

• Options

If anyone is interested and still gets notifications for this post, the Ackworth Half Marathon is back on the calendar!

Still rural, still scenic, still undulating!  Entries on BookItZone