Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

JJ,
    I was not feeling that great going into my 4x4s so they did not feel that good. The first two were into the wind and the second two I had it behind me so they look better than they were. My hr was too high it needed to be lower, 85% would have been better.
    I too have 4 more speed sessions to go and I will still do a couple more full length halves before race day.
    I have some business travel coming up which may get in the way but I should be able to maintain reasonable mileage until the taper week.
    Mick

• Options

Hi everyone,

just a quick post to say hi.

Haven't done any real running these days. Tried 2h slow last Sunday but had to stop at 1h30 due to the back cramping.

Little finch is doing well. I ordered some more antibiotics for him and it will be coming tomorrow. He can see now and has been eating a lot.

Michael is having his surgery on Thursday, 8am.

I hope everyone is well. i haven't read back.

lots of hugs and good nightXXXXXXXXXX

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning all,

Spud
    We shall be thinking of Michael at 8.am tomorrow. I suggest that you try and stop your running just before your back starts to cramp up if you have any indication of the symptoms before that happens. All the best to your little finch.

JJ
    I expect you will feel tired today after 5 x 1 k's fast last pm. My run yesterday got faster as the K's went by purely because I pushed it more, hence the HR rise. I started slowlyish  to make sure I got a low ave HR when I knew that was on the cards I then upped the pace a little. 

MickC
    I hope you are feeling more invigorated today, your 4 x 4's were as impressive as usual, but I know how important it is to feel good whist running them.

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Morning. Miserable one, but at least today all the water is coming from the sky rather than the fire hydrant in the road.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my burst of speed yesterday. It did feel like something of a breakthrough. Since I started running seriously four years ago, I have often moaned on here and elsewhere that I felt I had good CV fitness but would always be held back by lack of power in my legs. Well, yesterday for the first time ever I felt the reverse: legs complained a bit but did not wibble once, and I couldn't quite get enough air to propel them as fast as they wanted to go. New phase in training begins!

Off to plod. 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all.

JJ - are you having a rest day today? Can you please tell them to turn down the wind on Sunday in the Paddock Wood area please.

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Rather weary 11.2k at 6:31m/k average pace and av 68%WHR.
    Cold, wet and an icy wind again.

Tracey
    Forecast for Sunday here is still and spring-like. It may be too hot though!

Spud
    Could you get a relaxing massage for your back? Do take care. xxx

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I forgot the strides and the fast km today - just struggling to keep going! I will do them tomorrow. I'll also start the 2x a day running next week.
  • Options

Morning all,

Spent the last hour trying to contain my fury at the taxman, who does not appear to register anything he is told, e.g. FarSide has retired, "cessated" even in their terms, but carries on issuing demands for tax prepayments which are not due, accompanied by the usual litany of threats.

Jogging showing a slow improvement. I must remember to ask my cardiac consultant what to expect in terms of recovery time - perhaps I expect too much.

Cold again, but dry and relatively still.

Ceal, you're right about modern running shoe soles, the uppers on mine wear out long before them. Midsoles don't bother me as a forefoot striker, some of my shoes don't have midsoles. You can use your thumbnail to press into the midsole however, to determine how hard it is. 

• Options

Morning

3.27M; 0:34:46; 10:38/M
    10:43 
    10:40 
    10:52
    02:30 (0.27M)

al

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

aws
    Nice set of sub-11s there. Was that in the new shoes?

FarSide
    Not sure whether to offer congratulations or commiserations on your "cessation"!

• Options

Morning

JJ I've just been having a look at where to park on Sunday.  Opposite the turn off for Eldon way is Hop Pocket Way which looks like an industrial park, is there parking on there.

• Options

Rest day yesterday, but still feel quite tired.

Will trot round with club tonight, but not push too hard.

Tomorrow is Mr D's birthday, so an outing is planned to Beaulieu Motor Museum, taking small grandson. The boys in the party should enjoy seeing all the cars and bikes.

• Options

Chouette,

I'm delighted to have stopped commuting/work so that I can concentrate on life instead. I've never confused the two.

I work now, with the horses, or helping my niece's partner with his business, strictly local and part time, and investing in modest property deals at a level which does not attract the infinite greed of the tax office.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Ceal/JJ - Thanks for the advice re the double 90 minute runs but not really feasible (sp!) as i am in work last night tonight and i think it might be too much to do it the second half of the week

Diana - Happy Birthday to Mr D and i'm sure they'll have a ball with all those motors

Farside - sounds lovely

Did another 9.3 miles yesterday felt good

4.12 miles today easy

Split time Avg. HR
    10:51 127 (58%)
    10:03 133 (62%)
    10:04 136 (64%)
    9:50 143 (68%)
    1:04 144 (69%)

avg 135 (63%whr) max 146 (70% whr)

First mile was slow as i stopped to see a horse i horse that i've seen grow up over the years i've been running, it had a young horse with it (foal!) who was georgous, not sure how mum would react, but allowed me to stroke her. Boy did she have the most georgous coat, so silky and soft. I then continued my run

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    WW - We will just park in the car auctions car park. It means we have to get there early, but we managed it in 2006. They close the road into Eldon Way at 9:45 and it says close until the race finishes. Not a problem for a slow runner like me. How will I recognise you?
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Legs are feeling a little tired today so an easy 9.5k at a 5:30 pace. The weather is much better with sun and +2c.

Attend a labour law seminar this mornig, all very depressing. The law is becoming so biased against employers it is a wonder that anyone is interested in starting a new company anymore or even running one.
    Mick

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Just popping in quickly after the last of the Chichester Challenge (4.5k/2.8mi) series of races.

Didn't feel brill with this "cold" hanging around but not developing, but it didn't affect me too much. Splits were

6.15(165hr), 6.11(169), 6.16 (168)

Garmie time 17.26, ave pace 6.14, 92%wHR. This is about 4 sec slower than first race in the series but was much more consistent, hoped to be able to put a bit extra in in the last lap but just wasn't there.

Try and read back now.

Mike T

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Oh, should have said I got lapped by the leader about 150m before start of the 4th and final lap.image

Have to say Michael East looked very good as he flew past me - different class, I believe he broke his own course record from 2000 when he was Commonwealth Champion - perhaps they cut his funding too soon !!

Mike T

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Empty - Well done.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

great splits MT, that would have been a PB for 5k if you had kept going for another 500m. You need to find yourself a 5k as soon as the mara is over. Well done. 

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Morning.

Mick
    Good to hear you have positive temperatures.

MT
    Well done, especially as your legs must be tired from mara training. Quick conversion showed those were sub-4min kms - gasp!

I too have a "cold" or something which is staying just below the surface. Doesn't look good for Sunday.

JJ
    The twice-a-day running was recommended by ceal just for the two days a week I'll be doing speedwork from next week.
    Hope you're feeling more rested this morning.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Morning,

Lovely day at the moment, why oh why is it going to be so horrible tomorrow, I despair of  continually having to run races in the wind.

Diana
    I hope you and Mr D have a good time at Beaulieu.

Empty
    Those were indeed consistent laps.

JJ
    I hope your legs are feeling more lively today.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Chouette
    I won't be starting my doubles until the week starting 7th April for various reasons. The idea is to keep both of the runs short, you only need about 800m's after the speed bit to cool down. I would suggest that you keep the speed session down to around 2.5 k (not counting the warmup) until you get used to them. Or even less if needed, don't compromise on the speed, so what I am saying is make it quality not quantity. Then the non speed run keep  to around  30 mins, nice and easy. Theoretically the speed session should be later in the day, that way you have a nice warm up in the morning then go for it in the evening then the following morning the run can be an easy one again. However, having said all that, I will not be doing them that way around because if I want to go to the track, it is busy in the evening.  

I am still getting Stewart's email to you returned back here at least 3 times a day.

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

ceal
    You have mail.

I will start out like you, doing the speedwork in the morning until I get used to the new routine. I am rather addicted to the buzz I get from doing a speed session first thing! Also I'm not sure how running twice a day will affect my sleep... I'm sleeping really well at the moment, which is not always the case.

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I agree that the doubles are not convenient! But I am going to give them a go and see how I get on. It is interesting to try different types of training.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chouette
    I have emailed again, but we were using the address you suggested. In fact Stewart replied to your email using your email! If that makes sense. I have however, sent it again using the same address on it's own.

JJ
    I will comment later on my thoughts re. the speed doubles, no time right now.