Options

IM France Race Reports

Comments

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

And so to the bike, didn’t see my family as they were still looking for me in the water, but did see Candy at start of bike so shouted abuse at him.

First job was to settle heart rate at between 135 and 140 and then start on nutrition, found myself heading towards airport at around 19 mph but was being constantly overtaken by a stream of uber bikers on their flash carbon steeds with their deep aero wheels and their woody woodpecker hats never mind I’m sticking to my plan which hopefully get me round bike course in around 7 hours, this may seem slow but I am not a strong cyclist and needed to save something in my legs for run. I had some malt loaf which was really nice, not too sweet and had used this a lot in training so all was well. I had planned using each hour, one gel, one lava salts cap and one cereal bar, plus bananas and energy drink from aid stations.

On to long 21 km and it’s getting very hot, nobody is talking; just hear the sound of silence as people are working hard up hill, heart rate obviously high but not too bad, still thinking about saving something for run. The descents were fantastic, high speed swooping bends, but some sharp and dangerous turns, some people unfortunately crashed and ambulances were called into action. Got passed by loads of cheery Pirates who always had something encouraging to say, like “ Crap cyclist” so I told them to get swimming lessons!

It got a bit windy heading into town but still felt fine as I covered last few miles , eventually getting back after 7 hours 8 minutes with a total elapsed time for swim and bike of well under 8 hours 30 minutes, far from a disaster for me on a tough bike course.

• Options

Quick race (ahem) report from Calf.

Got to France winner!

Opened bike bag, no damage, amazingly the only time so far I have managed to get a bike out of the UK without damaging it. I was soon to change this

Fri afternoon I was on the bike path on the sea front checking all the gears were working etc. When at about 25mph sprinting out of the saddle the chain gave up.

I didn't realise this at the time thou, one min I was sprinting down a deserted flat bike path next I was flying (literally) thru the air. Thankfully I used my back to cushion the landing and avoid damaging the tarmac with my bike.

Finally having come to a stop leaving most of my back on the cycle path Emmilou caught me up and immediatly checked on my bikes health. Dustboy not far behind checked on me. Emmi knew I would be more bothered about my bike than myself..

After picking myself up and sorting myself out I set out an hours walk back to the hotel upon arrival I was greeted by a number of inquisitive pirates who all had a smiliar reaction to my as unkown to me rather spectacular road rash.
    Also at this point Dave inquired about my helmet (ahem) and established not only did it (we are talking about my bike helmet here)have a number of scratches on it but had 4 rather large cracks in it.

So saturday morning it was a trip to the local bike shop to relieve me of some cash. 330 quid later a new chain, front mech, saddle and helmet were in my possession and an attitiude of well I can hardly walk and no idea if I can ride a bike, but having shelled out for all this kit I'm bloody well gonna finish.

• Options

So back to the race report. Sunday morning in transition I'm trying (badly) to get my wetsuit on whilst keeping the patchwork on my back in place. Needless to say I got a number (everyone who walked past) of funny looks.

Anyways onto the swim, wasn't looking forward to the salt water on the cuts considering how much it had hurt in the shower but amazingly it didn't hurt at all. This could have been the 6 ibuprofen I'd had at the start mind.

Swim itself was ok, I dont like swimming, not scared of it just don't like it, had goggles kicked off twice and nearly a punch up with someone who was trying to use me as a float, he didn't like it much when I decided to use his head in return.

Out of the swim in 1:21, not bad for me but as usual most of the bikes were gone.

Struggled in T1 as I was trying to get my long sleeved skins topon to stop the sunburn, I was in there for 11 mins, but I think the make up looked perfect so it was time well spent image

Out onto the bike, lovely flat start and started to pick people off, not going to dwell on the bike too much as quite uneventfull. Thought I was drinking lots but didn't need to wee so not quite enough, passed lots and lots on the uphills but got passed alot on the downs, my usual kamikaze style had been blunted by fridays incident a little. I was also having trouble with my knee and back. I was ok with my hands on the top of the bars for the climbing but on the aero bars my back and knee were killing when I pedalled so I pretty much rolled down most of the hills. Bike was 6:21 should have been quicker to be honest was just over the moon I hadn't had any incidents.

Back into transition and 8 mins. Now all I did was put my trainers on and put suntan cream on so not a clue where that went

• Options

Onto the run course and had just under 4 hours to get sub 12. Even my primary school maths could work out an hour a lap. So off I went, first lap went ok, saw lots of pirates and the support was superb. Everyone has written it but its true, the people shouting and screaming at you make such a difference. first lap was under an hour and all ok. 2nd lap started ok but at the turn around I started to cook, struggled with the heat from then on, the walks at the aid stations got longer, the running slower. Usual thing that most experience, bad guts, being sick etc but determination to get round. It didn't help my longest run had been bala due to a knee injury I have had for over a year so its no surprise the 2nd half of the run turned into mainly walking and not much running, even with the best efforts of hollywood (cheers mate) On the final lap caught up with bassy and Crash who were doing their 3rd lap. Had a good laugh with them and even the occasional run but not far image.
    Past the pirates for the last time and down the finish shoot. Over the moon I'd finished and 12:49 was an ok time, I'd loved sub 12 but the run was a shocker and well lets be honest I aint gonna run a sub 4 mara on the back of 108 miles cycling on cock all run training.

Post race party was great, brill to talk to everyone and see how they all got on.

Thou back in blightly is a bit crap. Stopped taking the pain killers and back and knee well and truly goosed. 5 days on still can't stand properly and damn scabs are still leaking some manky yellowy fluid image

• Options

LOL Calf...  great report...  you'd make a great writer!!!  image

• Options

Bloody hell Calf! Talk about the walking wounded. I'm v impressed that you raced all the same and hope you heal up soon and that there is no lasting damage.

<waits for Foggy's run bit>

• Options

Melissa don't hold your breath it'll be along about 1930 if Sunday's anything to go by ;o)

Azur were.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭

hmph

how do you get proper li'l smilies, CRABby? I just get the image)

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Here's another…. I have pestered my mate Nigel to do an Ironman triathlon ever since IMCH05.  Finally, in September last year he agreed on the condition that I did it too.  So I signed up.  Since then, I've had no time to train as I've been doing renovation on my flat, which still isn't finished, but it's very close.  Ok, ok, so I'm notorious for not training now, but I really just didn't have the chance this time.  Hence, my talking about pulling out of the event 3 weeks ago.  It was only that Dawn and my Dad decided to go that I really had to give it a go at getting myself around the course.  I honestly thought DNFing was a serious possibility for me.  If you are chronically undertrained, you can easily hurt something during a hard bike ride over 112 miles, and I just needed one injury before the hills were out the way and I'd have been getting a lift back to the start. Thankfully, I had all the luck that so many others who DNF'd really deserved, and quite honestly, I feel rather rotten for it.  I'm lucky that I have a natural fitness, have decent technique with swimming, have always been pretty strong as a cyclist, and I have experience of two IM's to carry me around the run..  I honestly think that experience of knowing how to deal with your suffering on the run helps more than running long distances, if all you want to do is finish.  I'm glad I made it to the end of my 3rd IM, but infinitely more respect goes to those who trained hard, pushed their fitness levels up, and achieved feats they could not have achieved 12 months ago, whether they finished or not.  My true hero of the day was Flyaway for getting to the run after cut-off, and still pushing along.  That's the spirit of a real IronPirate. So, the race:The swim wasn't too bad.  I got in as soon as the gun went, and despite some pushing, I found enough space to get into a rhythm after a few hundred metres.  The first buoy was a heck of a long way out though, so sighting was more a case of checking I had roughly the same number of people on my left as I had on my right.  Coming back from the furthest buoy though, either my breakfast or the saltwater managed to get the better of me.  I must apologise to anyone who swam slower than 1h23m for the swim because you may have found yourself swimming through a Pain au Chocolat and Croissant with apricot jam.  Having expelled my stomach contents though, I made it to the end of the swim fairly comfortably, and was pleasantly surprised to find I was under 1h30m.  Got a big lift from seeing pirate support when I came out too!!
  • Options
    The bike.  I had no trouble with aid stations, kit, and not a single ache or pain through the whole ride.  How undeserved.  I should have been in agony.  Part luck, and part taking it steady through fear of injury is what got me up those hills I think… oh, and 3 short breaks to drink loads of water and cola.  The climbing I found really tough, but those downhills absolutely rocked.  I know you are meant to overtake on the left, but if you're going 10mph quicker than the person in front who is sat on the left hand side of the road, well, I'm sorry fella, but I'm going to undertake.  I didn't have to do this too often, but I definitely took no prisoners on the descents, and made up lots and lots of places that I'd been losing on the climbs. By the time I got to the run, I felt knackered.  I cautiously got of the bike, slowly walked it into transition, got changed, then slowly put one foot in front of the other to begin running expecting agonising muscle ache telling me to damn well walk and not be so cruel to my body.  Again, lcuk I truly didn't deserve resulted in no aches, no pains, absolutely nothing to stop me running… except being completely exhausted.  So, rather than try and run from the start, I just sacrificed my first lap and a half to take on energy and liquid… 7 gels, a banana, 2 banana cakes, 6 salt tablets, 2 ibuprofen, a powerbar, and loads and loads of water.  Of course, I could hardly move because my stomach was so full, but since I was so exhausted anyway I figured I wouldn't have moved much faster with an empty stomach, and I was planning on getting my energy levels back to make the most of my ache-free legs before the end of the run.  The energy sank in, and as the distance was ranked up, so did the muscle ache, but the two appear to have offset each other perfectly since my run splits are very nearly constant throughout the run, and as others began to feel the pain, I started gaining back my places. Finally crossing the line in 14h30m, I was glad to have finished, glad to be a 3 time IronPirate, and enormously grateful for all the support, from the pirate supporters, my two Sherpa's, and both the pirates and non-pirates on the race course who cheered each other on.  I'll be back in Zurich, doing the Oly, and I swear, I'm not doing another IM before I prove I can train properly for an Oly first.  It's an achievement to get around an IM, but it's a much greater achievement to train your body to do something it normally wouldn't be capable of, whether you finish or not.  I have great respect for all those who are pushing the limits of their own ability.  I can't do a sub 2h20m Oly without training… but I reckon I can for Zurich with training, so Oxy, bring on your campest running style and let's have a gay old time on the banks of Zurichsee!!  I'll never have that award, I'll make sure of it!!!
  • Options

Hi Everyone.

What a difference a day makes eh! Sunny Nice yesterday, pissing down 25mph windy West Cumbria today.

I'm back at work and people keep expecting me to actually do something, so I will try do a report once all the day work loafers dissapear.

All I will say is, if your thinking about IM don't! as thinking is wasting valuable training time. Sign up Now, train hard and you will be hard pushed to have a better day out.

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

The moment I stepped off the bike, I knew I was in trouble!

I could hardly walk. I managed to push my bike to racking position. I felt incredibly hot, I needed a pee, so walked to potaloos, the heat and smell was horrible but I just managed to get out before I threw up, I sat under a tree for a while thinking about about how the hell can I get round the marathon course. I really though t I was gong to pull out After a few minutes I did not feel quite so light headed, so went over to transition tent and had a cool drink and put my running gear on. I realised that I need to get out and get walking and hopefully would come round a bit, so that’s what I did, most of marathon was a walk but did jog a bit when supporters shouted at me, bur as soon as I was out of sight I would walk. Feet got wet and blistered because I was throwing water on my head to cool down.

I never really managed to run much at all which annoyed me because I had trained more this year, but now  on reflection Im not too disappointed, just pleased to have finished. Did tell my self never to enter another Ironman.

My T2 time was about 15 minutes so overall spent over 25 mins in transition, my marathon time was around 6 hours 45 mins giving me a finish time of around 15  hours 20 mins.

After beating Jalabert by 50 seconds on the swim, he then beat me by 3 hours  20 mins on the bike, and  3 hours 30 mins on the run, I bet he was well chuffed!

Thanks to supporters I finished, without them a DNF was most likely. Thanks to people who helped after race as I was in a bit of a daze until I got some beer and ice-cream

What date is Switzerland next year? Lanzarote is too hard!

• Options
    Hi Foggy - that was me on the bus at Stanstead. Well done. See you on 13 July next year image
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Yes, I saw your name on list. See you there.
  • Options

Oh, and one last thing...

I'm convinced Nice is the most expensive darn city on the face of the earth.

£7 a pint on Monday??!??!

So if anyone is thinking of doing an IM, but is on a budget, find somewhere else.  Even chewing gum was twice the price it is in the UK.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    we found a bar yesterday where it was only £4 a pint - a bit late though!
  • Options

China is  cheap as chips, once you are there!

Gotta budget in for pollution masks thou

• Options

Race report as promised.  Maybe slightly long.....

Leading up to the night before, I was genuinely relaxed.  Even racking the bike, I was excited, but not nervous.  I did have ‘a moment’ which was lovingly shared with bassy along the seafront when we all popped out to check the bikes were in working order.  I knew mine wasn’t when we started because the gears were screwed (in technical whizz speak).  After cycling for a while, I decided there was no point in continuing until I could get them fixed, but I’m a numpty and have no idea what to do.  Started fiddling with screws and cables until bassy rode up alongside me.  I greeted him with a pleasant ‘there’s no fucking point in me fucking carrying on, because my fucking gears are fucking screwed.' (ever the optimist)  Luckily bassy took this in the manner in which it was meant to be received, and started sorting them out.  Love ya bassy. image  You are a star.  Gears fixed, we pootled back to the hotel. 10:30 Saturday night the fear started with a sharp intake of breath and floods of tears.  It marked the start of a massive panic attack which only stopped when I stepped into the water on Sunday morning.  Convinced I wouldn't make it to the start, oxy gave me a pep talk telling me he had faith that I could finish and I shouldn’t be worried (he did very well at the lying as he was bricking it on my behalf having driven the bike course earlier in the day.) 

In the morning I went to breakfast and ate through tears and the tears continued to the beach...

• Options

Great race reports everyone

Inspiring stuff image

• Options
    SwimGun went and the crying was replaced with lots of ‘Ow’s’ over the pebbles to the sea.  The swim was crowded.  I ended up in a bunch of men who were extremely vicious.  I was punched in the face four times, had to stop when my goggles were kicked, and again when I thought my timing chip had been ripped off.  I had to remind myself to keep calm and I kept thinking to myself ‘don’t worry, it will clear up in a minute and you will have some space’.  The first time I got my own space I saw a mahoosive jellyfish beneath me so decided the punching, kicking and elbowing was preferable!  Whoever thought that having red hats for all the men and red bouys should be shot.  I had no idea where I was going the whole way round.  I was on target for the first lap of the swim, and the second shorter lap went very quickly. Out of the swim in 1:18:06 – Saw oxy and Zilla on the way out who informed me I was third pirate girl out of the swim!  Hurrah! T1My main concern was to get enough sun block on my shoulders and arms.  Some American woman took it off me complaining that they’d promised her the ‘helpers’ would have sun block to apply so she didn’t have any.  I sat witnessing my sun block being passed around other competitors while I sat there wasting time….still, out of T1 in 10 mins or so.  Could have been quicker.  Managed to leave half my Go gels in my bag which would come back to haunt me later. 
  • Options
    BikeStarted and promptly stopped when I realised my cadence sensor had moved out of alignment and I was planning on doing the bike to cadence and HR and not much else!  Lots of pirates went past me as I knew they would given that I’m an okay swimmer and a shit cyclist!Got out of town and along through the industrial estate.  I’d been warned me about the steep climb, left off the main road so I was prepared.  Though I’m not entirely sure it was a 10% climb as billed on the race instructions!  10%ers are usually okay for me but my HR wasn’t down from getting onto the bike yet.  Still, I thought I was doing okay, but looked at my HRM to see 172 and still climbing, so as per coach oxy’s instructions, I unclipped, got off and walked up it.  I needed as much in the tank as possible to get me round the rest of the bike and blowing up this early on was not in the plan.  My hay fever started with a bang almost as soon as I got on the bike again.  I sneezed and snotted over myself every 5 minutes or so, wondering how I could possibly get round wasting all this energy (anyone who’s heard me sneeze knows what I mean).  Saw Kanga with his second puncture… Part way up the long climb, wondering why it was so difficult, I realised my rear brake was rubbing against the wheel.  Doh!  Then when I finally dropped into the granny ring, my chain fell off!  Off the bike again, and as if by magic, bassy, my mobile mechanic in training, passed me…. He wasn’t going to stop and help this time ;o)  

I am pleased to report that I only cried once on the bike – at the aid station two thirds of the way up Col de l’Ecre where, as I pulled up one of the helpers exclaimed with hands it the air ‘ disastre’.  They had run out of water, sports drink AND gels.  I needed water.  My nutrition strategy was based on gels, water and sports drink and so far they had coke to offer me.  Nothing else.  I know I couldn’t help the water situation, but why hadn’t I brought all my gels with me?  After crying in the face of a marshall, he part filled up my bottle with some of his water but I had to stick with coke for my second bottle.  It smarted somewhat seeing elderly French women walking along the side of the road with bottles of water from the bike stations and bottles with 2 or so gulps taken or small amounts poured over speedy peeps hot heads, littered all over the side of the road.  Thinking my life depended on it; I stopped and filled up the stolen water with more water from a discarded bottle at the side of the road to stares from the locals.

• Options
    Melds caught up with me, and we played cat and mouse up another hill, while reminding ourselves that they weren’t hills, they were just up-flats and it really would be nice to get to a hill and do some work (thank you Smithy).  I’d expected to see the pirate supporters at around 100km, but we hadn’t reached the out and back yet.  I kept thinking ‘round the next corner, we’ll start the out and back, round the next corner, we’ll start the out and back’.  I looked at my average speed for the first time since starting – mistake!!!!  11.2mph!!  Lol.   I knew I had to average 12mph or above to finish before cut off.  Oops.  Luckily as I started the out and back I picked up loads of speed.  I stopped at the piratey supporters to inform them I’d lost my peeing on the bike virginity and stole some water from them because I was worried all the aid stations would run out of water. From then on, the ride was pretty much down hill.  Didn’t get up massive speed (34mph max I think) as there were no straight down hills.  I was desperate for the loo again, but every time I relaxed enough, a sign popped up saying ‘ Dangerous Bend’.  Passed a bloke crawling back over the wall at a hairpin which obviously went wrong for him.  His red and white tri suit was a bit redder than it had started out.   I know I was on the bike a long time, but the marshalls seemed to have given up by the time I got round.  One was happily chatting away as a car overtook me, slammed on the brakes to turn right into a car park.  Sharp brake, then I was back on my way.  Seemed to lose a few kms on the last part of the ride, but I was glad to be back in transition.  Bike: 8:20:59 

Whipped off my shoes for the long walk to rack the bike, then into T2.  No drama, filled my pockets with random food stuffs ‘just in case’ and headed out onto the run.  For some reason T2 was 11 minutes but I put that down to the very long walk to the bike rack

• Options
    RunMy race plan was to be out onto the run with at least 6 hours left.  At exactly 6 hours I stepped onto the run.  BIG smile.  I knew from that point on that I would do it.  I did quite a few long brick sessions and now they were going to pay off.  Saw CRAB who had finished, and he seemed relieved to see me out on the run and shouted ‘You’re a hero’ at me.  Then saw oxy who’d just made it back from the bike course, with a look of total relief on his face, and he agreed that I had it in the bag if I carried on at a solid pace.  My legs felt fine so I ran the first two laps and was going great guns, and just loving the support.  Oxy told me if I continued at that pace I’d be on for a marathon pb!   Second to last aid station on the second lap I picked up the fizziest cup of coke in the whole of France.  That, along with the litres of coke I’d ended up drinking on the run resulted in me sicking up into my mouth every time I tried to run.  I was wearing my garmin and saw that even walking I was managing 13.4min miles, so knew even if I carried on at that pace I’d be fine to finish within my secret target of between 15 and 15 and a half hours.  Caught up with debbo and we did the rest of the run almost together.  She complained that I walked too quickly, as did mellifera and oxy as they tried to support!  If only my walking pace could translate into a good run pace…  debbo launched into occasional runs while I marched along and caught her up.  This continued to the last return on the fourth lap.  Debbo was feeling better so decided to run.  I stopped being a wimp and on seeing debbo run off into the distance that I could run too and sod it if I was sick now.  There was hardly any distance left.   

Going up the finish chute was fantastic.  High-fiving the kids, I stopped in front of the pirate crew, but couldn’t see oxy anywhere.  How?  Where was he?  I wanted to tell him I’d done it.  I looked round at the clock and saw 15:27 and for some reason got it into my head that the 27 was seconds and I desperately needed to finish in the next 3 seconds otherwise it would be past the half hour!  So ran to the arch, not really relishing the moment as so many people had told me to!  Muppet.  I’ll have to save that for next year. image

Run – 5:27:33 (with a marathon pb of 5:05, that’s not at all bad!)
  • Options

Overall time – 15:27:59

Incredibly pleased and I couldn't have done it without the support of many people leading up to the race and on race day.    My only problems have been blisters on my hands from the downhills, blisters on my fee from getting them wet on the run and my back which keeps seizing up.  My legs have been fine since, which suggests that perhaps I didn’t try hard enough!   I’ve had a fantastic time, put a few people through some stressful times, and am proud to have finished such a hard race, and thrilled to hold the Novice Pirate 145 award.  It has already taken pride of place alongside my medal.  Pirates rock.  image
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

I was worried you were dehydrated before the start with all that crying ; - )

well done on your run time - that's fantastic! 

• Options

Great stuff!

Welcome to the club.

• Options

only read holly's report (will read back later) - top race holly and very worth novice 145. 

• Options
    Holly_Golightly wrote (see)
     while reminding ourselves that they weren’t hills, they were just up-flats
    Brilliant ....LOL
  • Options
    WARNING SELF INDULGENT RACE REPORT!

OPERATION NICE,  started not long after IM Austria late last summer after my second Ironman attempt which ended
    with a few grey hairs and some much needed pacemakers for those on the sidelines and at home.

We got to Nice on Thursday lunchtime and orientated ourselves,  ate a bit and drank a bit more.

Friday was a rest and relaxation day and we hoofed down to the beach for the majority of thee day and
    to check out the expo again.   Had a dip in the sea and it was vile,  there was a fair amount of swell and
    I didnt like it at all ...  and so started the wibbles.  I have only swum properly in the sea once before and that
    was in Eastbourne a few weeks ago,  I couldnt think how I was going to get through SUnday morning and the doubts started.
    Having spoken to Flyaway and Cougs who had been down for a swim earlier we decided to do an early swim on Saturday morning
    as this would be closer to the conditions we were to expect,  luckily it was much much better and the confidence went up a
    little.

Saturday our times for racking were not until later in the day but by that time I really wanted to have racked and be back
    up at the hotel and eaten so we took the chance and went down early and joined the queue.   I know others have said already
    but the transition area was huge,  2,500 bikes give or take a few and luckily as an old woman mine was not far from the end
    and easy to place.   Saturday night came and went with not a lot of sleep but that was expected.

Sunday morning

I had some goals in mind and had broken down the time to 2 hrs,  8hrs and 6 hrs for the 3 disciplines knowing that I could
    borrow time from one to feed the other,  in short I need to lose an hour from last years time to make the cut off.