Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

MickC - I'm not convinced that temp is accurate. Mine started at 20 degrees and soon went up to 25. Then I scrolled through the other screens to see what was there and when I got back to that first one it showed 30. That was in a very short space of time and I'm sure the temp wasn't that high. Also the time it shows is in a zone quite different from mine.

al

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

aws,
    I suspect it is the internal temp so as it warms up it will get hotter. I think the time is the time it has been switched on rather than zulu time or in English speak GMT. GPS uses zulu time, American military time based on GMT. Did you find other screens?

• Options

MickC - Use the mode button to scroll through them. They mostly don't mean much except the one that allows you to change the pitch of the beep.

al

• Options

Morning all

Doom & gloom at work as the project team is being cut back from 66 to 35. 

Decisions I need to make are:
    Sell flat or rent it
    take a couple of months off.
    Get another job down here till flat is sold

• Options

Good Morning

Basic Training Day 60
    5.11M; 1:05:00; 12:43/M; hr136
    13:13 hr137 m147
    13:00 hr137 m142
    13:00 hr135 m142
    12:36 hr135 m141
    12:03 hr136 m144
    I knew this would happen. When I put on the HR, for some reason unknown, it registered high (105ish) before I did anything, so I expected a slow run for the usual hr. In the event I got a slow run for a higher HR than usual, it just would not go down.

al

• Options

good morning

Lynne
    Hope everything goes ok with the recall. Judith had one of those letters a few months ago, and after the scare it caused, it turned out to be what they recall letter had said - that it was a poor image first time round and they wanted a better quality one.

aws
    Might just be a touch of fatigue or a bad nights sleep
    Your 13 the other day may be a lack of concentration on form and technique in the mid point of a run as your mind turns to other things. Try and do something run specific during that time - count strides/min, adjust stance, try and minimise the time your feet are on the ground - its all the little bits that make one a more efficient runner.

Two days in London town talking contracts to lawyers...............................................image(((

Opened door this am to a downpour of biblical proportions. Donned CCJ and hat and ventured forth. Garmin promptly lost signal and spent the next 4 miles scanning a lightning scarred sky unsuccessfully looking for them again.
    So no data but it was 5.2 miles in so so time and enough HR

Of course rain stopped after 3 miles, sun came out at 4 and I was too hot immediately.image

• Options

Got back from London last evening and ate dinner and drank wine watching TV

Entranced by the Lost in Austen programme. Austen is my all time favourite author, ever since doing English Lit as an extra A level all those years ago, though it has not been fashionable to say such a thing until fairly recently - but I used to say it regularly anyway.
    A favourite occupation on holiday was to read an Austen novel and to look up from the page where she she would be so acutely, dryly and ironically describing 19th century society and to look around at the rather more hedonistic lifestyle displayed upon most beaches of the world. The contrast would always give me great amusement.
    So imagine by surprise to find a writer playing exactly  the same game last evening in reverse and one I found thoroughly enjoyable after so many hours of legalese.

• Options

Afternoon

Just shy of 7 miles today, strong headwind for parts of run today think you can spot where

Distance Split time Avg. HR
    1.00 10:13 128 (62%)
    2.00 9:58 135 (67%)
    3.00 10:28 145 (75%)
    4.00 9:44 145 (75%)
    5.00 9:46 141 (72%)
    6.00 9:52 141 (72%)
    6.95 9:15 143 (73%) 9:46 pace

Starting my working week again tonight.

• Options

Didn't she make cars JJ ?

Anyway, is next weeks club run back on the roads ?

• Options

Run done. 4 miles in 48:56. Ok. HR seemed to stay quite high but fancied going at whatever pace I was going at.

Got very wet. Sun's shining now. 

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

TS,
    You did English Lit ????

K2,
    Well done on getting out, how I envy running in the cool rain.

Unfortunately spent all day at the manufacturing facility so unable to run but needed a rest day anyway.

Mick

• Options

One of mine as well. 

JJ
    Please could you change the above to "sportspeople"?

Night, folks!

• Options

That seems to cover it!

Oops.

Morning all.

Chucking it down here. As many stretches as I can do today. Run later if I' not creaking too much.

• Options

Morning

Basic Training Day 61
    7.06M; 1:29:34; 12:41/M; hr136
    12:53 hr135 m145
    12:49 hr135 m141
    13:08 hr136 m143
    12:52 hr137 m143
    12:34 hr136 m145
    12:48 hr136 m144
    11:56 hr136 m143
    Very similar to yesterday's run but HR was normal (90ish) when I started this am. Bearing in mind what TS said about not leaving my feet on the ground for too long I tried to introduce some bounce into my stride, at least for the second half of the run. The impression I got was that it was more demanding and more tiring and that it tended to push up the HR without necessarily increasing the pace. The readout appears to confirm this. with that style it seems to be easier/more natural to run at hr140 than at hr134.

al

• Options

Hoping to be back soon JJ.........

The physio reckons that my quad problem is referred pain caused by a very tight hip flexor.

I still want to run a marathon this year but I'm cutting it fine for Florence at the end of November !!!

• Options

good morning

MickC
    modern renaissance man - that's me!!

aws
    looks like you ran faster for just 1bpm more - a good returnimage You and Pammie are doing the threads mileage for us with 7+ miles each!!
    Good going from both of you

I should have finished your programme off but was distracted by legalese and preparation for meetings From your run this am it looks like you are ahead of it anyway so I shall tweak it a bitimage

Went out in light/medium rain and ended up in heavy/torrential rain on a cool autumn morning.
    5.1 miles done in 41:02 and avHR 140 though as I was beeped at on numerous occasions for exceeding my maxHR I suspect it was not wholly accurate

1m 8:44 hr128
    2m 7:51 hr140
    3m 8:01 hr141 curses car that baulked me at road crossing
    4m 7:58 hr143
    5m 8:26 hr148 Hipps HIll

legs and knees felt better than yesterday and the rain encouraged a brisk pace.as I didn't want me feet in contact with big puddles for longimage

• Options

Morning all  image

Intention to run early again but very little sleep last night due to 'nocturnal teenage activity' in the house!  I have administered water and paracetomol but don't expect them to appear any time soon ... hopefully a valuable lesson learnt.

I didn't do English Literature A-level - one reason being the books that we had at o-level - I loved The Tempest, Chaucer's prologue may as well have been a foreign language and Nicholas Nickleby was 900 boring pages, I never even got as far as page 200!  I love Jane Austen now and frequently re-read both 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility'.

• Options

Rest day for me because I am doing the Blackpool Illuminations 10K tomorrow - though at 11.00am I don't expect that they will be switched on. I hope the weather improves here in the northwest before by tomorrow morning - the race has a very exposed course along the seafront, and I suspect I will be blown to a standstill by sideways rain.

I've followed my training programme faithfully, but I still somehow feel unprepared for this. I've felt kind of heavy and slow a lot of the time. Still, I felt much the same before my miraculous 10k in March - 4 times round the duckpond in Blackpool's Stanley Park - so you never know.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good day all,

Lynne
    Perhaps you will be blown around some of the park. Trust your excellent training. I don't envy you doing a half mara in Singapore, that wouldn't be my kind of fun. There is obviously some determination in there somewhere.

Pammie
    can you remind me of the time that you did for your mile earlier this year.

TS
    I missed the Lost in Austen, what channel was it on? Will I be able to find it on Demand? You sound a bit busy with workimage

aws
    lots of hills on hols seem to be paying off.

Diana
    I like the sound of your fun and games with your relays.

Maggie
    is Cassie missing her friend.

I can't remember a lot else of what I read. But there seems to be no Chouette or Empty for a day or three.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

I ran last Sunday, stringing 6 miles together, which was a relief to find I still could!!! But I had to take the info from Stewart's Garmin together with mine as my pesky Garmin cut out 3 times, a total of 5 mins in all. Sometime in the last few days whilst I was bathing the girls, Stewart reset my Garmin (no new updates, which usually fix it for me) and this morning off I set again to run 6 miles. I achieved this and when I downloaded the data it bore no relation to what had been on my watch as I ran. I took a manual reading after every mile. BUT the download says that I ran .99 .81, 1.12, .96, .99, .7, .21 of a mile (this last one was correct). Taking the cursor over the pace, it is total rubbish. I will reset again and see what happens. Seems like it has to go back from whence it came. But we go on holiday on Sat and I may not get it back before Friday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway, by my manual calculation I ran 6.2 miles in 51.36 mins av pace I haven't worked out, nor will I, the av HR 132.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I had a great but very tiring time with my g-children. I was on my feet most of the time!!! I took them back yesterday pm and I feel very sad about it. But I can get back to my own routine again.
  • Options

Afternoon

A quick post as  will be eating in 5 minutes or so

Ceal - Welcome back. Seems you had a good time with the grandchildren.

My mile is 7:43 which i did twice, i think i can run faster as not much you can do when racing against 5-6 minute milers. Hopefully this winter  more runners will come. Far easier if you have someone to latch onto.

Aws/TS - I have been trying the technique  thing as well. As i have been an avid lurker on that thread over on fetch. I too noticed initially that lifting my feet more of the ground did equal a rise in HR

Back later. Will be running later with some strides today