Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

LMH - that's really kind of thank you.  Feel that Flossette will continue to pick up now as she has eaten her first dinner tonight, a bit more pudding than the main meal, but who's complaining - she's eating, fantastic.  image

Sluggie - congratulations on win.  Sorry, missed that hint in your report - am a bit thick today.  image

Mrs Mac - the more I hear about your holiday, the more idyllic it sounds.  image

HTF - thanks for the big hug.  image

Elspeth - thanks very much and will bear that in mind, although I believe that we are coming out the other side of this virus now.  image

SiJ - thanks for that.  Yes, we did 'short of breath' with uncontrollable shivering and that's why I panicked and got stressed, but the nurofen and paracetamol brought her back level within an hour again.  image

• Options

HY4 - nothing to take the wrong way! I have both glasses and contacts. As I said, currently using daily disposable lenses but as I only use them for a reason (e.g. riding the bike, competing) I don't get through the £21 a month it would cost if I used them all the time. Monthly lenses could well work out much cheaper - if the optician agrees that my eyes can still take them. It's horses for courses isn't it - and depends on your prescription etc etc.

Mrs Mac - how did you find the place you stayed at? Did you know where abouts you wanted to go and look from there or was it recommended? Marine turned firefighter eh? Lucky you!

Elspeth - when is your next marathon?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Yep as you say horses for courses.  With the possiblity of getting a bike to get from the car park to work when it gets darker I'm thinking about duathlons if take to it, however as I'm planning on getting a folding bike & most likely from Halfords so I can get it on the cycle to work scheme when it opens up again I'm going to have to wait until I can afford a folding mountain bike or have space for a non folding bike.

• Options
    I've been through all types of contact lens over the years (30 of them).  Started with hard, then shifted to gas permeable and now have monthly disposable but am trying out some dailies to try to avoid taking solutions on holiday.  The difficultly with me is that I have astigmatism in one eye plus extremely short sight so we are trying to find the best ones.  I also have glasses but mostly for home wear, without them I can't function in the morning.
  • Options

Mrs Mac - It sounds lovely. Glad you had a good time. Hope return to work is ok too.image

LMH - Loch Ness Oct 4 probably but still haven't ruled out Elgin  mid Sept but it's becoming increasingly unrealistic. Would have long run today but got a bit of a cold, hopefully get out again tomorrow.

Apart from that plans are Kirkwall half in 2 weeks, a long run around one of the islands - not sure if it's 13 or 15 miles - last weekend in August and also a 10k and a 6.5 mile race sometime in September. OK , I may not manage to do them all as need to get some LSRs in at weekends but will do what I can.

• Options

So how come you lot are all wearing glasses and I'm not then if I have astigmatism too? image

Am I just lucky?image

• Options
    All packed LB?image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Nearly! image Just a few more bits to cram in! image

Every time you talk about running round the islands I get a little bit wistful.....image It must be gawjuss living up there....

• Options

HY4 - I spend a lot of time on here too! They did say that if they get sore I need to go back.....image

Not sore NOT SORE NOT SORE! image

• Options

Elspeth - fogot to say congrats on 10 and to your son too. Do you have a target for your half in two weeks?

Have a lovely hol LB. I am also off cycling in Cornwall for a few days (strictly pootling and tea shops)

Good luck in Prague LMH and to everyone else with events coming up! will catch up when I get back. 

Hope Flossette will be better soon.

• Options

Sluggie - thanks so much and have fun cycling in Cornwall.  Are you doing the cream tea run?  image

LB - maybe your stiggy thing doesn't need glasses yet....mine didn't for a while and then eventually it did.  We're all different....I think.  imageimage

• Options
    LB - my glasses are for my extreme short sight which was diagnosed when I went to school and they realised I couldn't see the board!  My brothers were more fortunate as they were then checked and went in glasses much sooner.  The astigmatism just means that my left eye is oddly shaped (I think like a rugby ball) and that means that lenses have to be a special type in order to fit.  Thankfully I escaped the squint that my mother and 3 brothers all had.
  • Options

Morning.

Bridget - when I had monthly lenses there were no solutions they just stayed in for the whole month. That's what I'm after again. Did you do MK half?

Elspeth - that's quite a busy race schedule!

Flossie - hope you had a quiet night with Flossette and she's feeling better.

Everyone is off on hols - enjoy! Don't worry about us left at home image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morningimage

Mrs Mac - I don't expect you'll get much race info re Galway, lucky you off to Ireland again

LB - that's terrible news about KK's dog

sluggie - well done on your tri, enjoy yourself in Cornwall

Flossie - good news that Flossette is now eating and on the mend

Really enjoyed watching Cavendish win the sprint at Paris, he is is amazing

6.33 miles for me in lovely rain.

• Options

For the first time in my life I wish I'd done 6.33 miles in the lovely rain.....image This bench is uncomfortable! I'm finding my achilles are MORE sore not running (or it could be that I'm just much more aware of it because I'm exercising and massaging them) The Ibuprofen gel doesn't feel like it works as well as the Voltarol, so I might buy some more today.image 

We leave at 3.00am in the morning. Mr LB is telling the kids to just pull their clothes on and go. I'd make them sleep in their clothes but youngest would consider that a "fashion faux pas of the highest order"! He has told me to get some croissants "or something" to eat in the car. As we're going in his car and he's just had it valeted, I'm sure he's not thought this through! image 

He has paid a chauffeur company to go and park the car. I'm not looking forward to handing the keys to a XJ6 to some random stranger...image

Missing running already. I only got 21 miles in last week and Fetch keeps telling me I'm behind my target, like I don't already know.image 

Flossie - so pleased that Flossette has managed to get a later flight. I know its £45 but you're bound to be happier knowing she's fully fit and ready to meet with her cousins! It really has been awful for you and I'm not at all looking forward to Swine Flu knocking at our door, but I feel there is an inevitability about it.image

Sluggie - have a wonderful time in Cornwall and I hope you get some good weather for your pootling!

PSC - I was hearing on the news this morning that the train companies have hiked their prices by ten times the rate of inflation! How much do they sting YOU for just to get to work in a sardine tin then?image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LB - sorry to hear the achilles seem worse, maybe you are more aware of them now that your treating them

Bit worried about my friend who was doing the 24 hour cycle event as I've still not heard from her, hopefully she's just catching up on her sleep.

Work beckons, not looking forward to this week as have to move offices tomorrow, 5 miles nearer home though.

• Options

Hope your friend is OK Shades. She hopefully is just getting some shuteye.

Make sure you get the desk near the window Shades and not closest to the loo! image

It's IMUK this weekend. I know he's not been around much of late, but if JP pops in tell him I wish him all the luck in the world for his Ironman challenge!

• Options
    hiya shades... would you be able to send me on your trianing plan for the marathon???
  • Options

LB - too much.  My annual train ticket is £3,800 and is due to be renewed in Oct - Lord knows how much it will cost!

Happy holidays folks.

• Options
    Bootsie - click on "message member" under one of Shade's messages and e-mail her from there. She will send you a plan if you ask nicely! I think she's gone to work now.....image
  • Options

Bloody hell PSC! imageimageimage

It really does make a difference when they hike it up then doesn't it? Do you usually get a seat though, because you're so far away? I remember going to Christ Church College once for an interview. I had no idea Kent was so BIG and I was very nearly late....image

• Options
    Oh yes, any hike is a bike hike..... I always get a sit in but on the way home it's a different story.  If you allow plenty of time then no problem, but trying to jump on a train 2 mins before it pulls out, forget it!  I love the holiday times as things quieten down, but generally it's hell on earth!  And, yes, God's Garden is huge!  You can't cycle round it in a day - I've tried! image
  • Options

I bet it stinks too.......image

The train I mean, not Kent! Widnes stinksimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

Blimey that's a lot and here's me complaining about paying £40 per month car parking now work are in the new offices.

• Options

Had a fab weekend camping and messing about in boats.  Was attacked at sea by "our" Pirate on Saturday at least he stopped short of trying to board meimage.

For some bizare raeson I entered the Deal 10k on Sunday ( I dont ususlly do 10k's)  and actually enjoyed the run but have picked up a niggle image which is the main reason why I stopped doing 10k's as I always seem to get injured when trying to run fast image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Quick post from work...have just heard from my friend who did the 24 hour cycle, she did 290 miles, she loved the event and the only time she couldn't stay awake she went for a short run! 

First man did 410 miles

• Options

Thanks very much for all the best wishes for Flossette.  She is on the mend at long last and am longing for us both to be symptom-free again.  Contacted family in Gibraltar last night and there are only 2 reported cases on the Rock.  Understandably, family would rather we postponed visiting until Autumn half term as there are two new babies in the family and quite a few very young children - it's a massive family and all the extensions (believe me).  Sorting out new flight tickets today before the prices rise.  image

LMH - I'll be at home this summer with Flossette and will just do days out on the bike and stuff.  image

Shades - Cavendish definitely a little star.  Wiggins (the quiet one) is the one to watch for the future.  Wonderful cycling from your friend - excellent result.  image

LB - agree with you about ibuprofen gel for the calf area.  However, voltarol and me don't get on, so you are lucky to be able to use it.  There is only one good thing about swine flu knocking on your door - it won't knock again ever.  Thanks very much for reminding me of IMUK and JP and am sure one of us will have the opportunity to send on your best wishes.  Have a wonderful holiday - 3.00 am and I know a song about that.  image

• Options

Flossie - glad to hear that Flossette is well and truly on the mend. I'm sure she'll be disappointed about missing the Gib trip this summer but at least she'll have it to look forward to. I hope the weather picks up for those of us on 'at home' holidays! I'm not complaining cos other than Prague (which isn't really much of a holiday - I won't even have time to show poor Mark the Charles Bridge etc and he's never been before) I have a great holiday in Oz to look forward to - albeit in four months time. The only thing I don't like about holidaying at home is being so far from the sea. I miss it.

Shades - glad to hear your friend is ok - that's some cycling!

LB - I can't see croissants being popular in the car either..................

• Options

Afternoon image I'm just up! Well, I got up with MrMac at 6.45 and waved him off to work then crept back for an hour image must be jet-lag.

Shades, I didn't expect much info either but knowing where it starts would be handy! I haven't been able to access my work emails for a week so hopefully I'll get on tomorrow when I go back.

Have a good holiday LB image

Jeez, I thought £26 a month for parking was steep.

LMH, I just randomely picked somewhere in the east of the US with mountains and took it from there! You obviously haven't seen MrMac then?!!

May go for a little run today but was surprised to find my glutes were a little sore after yesterdays run. Strange.