Options

Unattached vs Club

Comments

• Options

When I started this thread. My point is that a recent race I did, which was organised by a club was
    sold out well before race day. 70% of the entrants were unattached. The facts are the unattached  outstrips the club runners. When I go out training, I see numerous runners who run for fitness and are unattached too. With so many unattached entering races, paying more than club runners.
    Are the clubs missing out on something.

Now it seems those who want to run for a club either find it inconvenient or too far away.
    Some don`t want to be part of a club. Now the virtual running clubs are gaining popularity which
    makes it difficult for the local clubs. So is it time that local clubs rather than attract runners who won`t turn up to club meets, attract them through online membership. They still pay their membership, still be part of the club, wear their club vest at races and support club races. They get online newsletters, training schedules for their membership. They can even attend club meetings if they want to.

Mak, what could unattached runners put back into running. They don`t belong to clubs.
    They run for their own purpose. They do put back into running. To support races. I don`t
    think that is selfish. You say take, don`t give but what about give and take.
    Without unattached, the recent race I did where 70% were unattached would no longer exist.
    Clubs are missing out on the unattached for which could bring revenue and support
    for a club. Your club could do this. But clubs might need to be flexible to attract the
    unattached runners to a club. Then maybe they can make a input into running.

• Options
    afjt wrote (see)
    Farnie wrote (see)
    If unattached people don't help out with your races, maybe it is something you should address? 
    Farnie - can you suggest a way that clubs could do this ? By the very nature of them not being members of any club, there is no long list of unattached runners that clubs can approach. I can't imagine that a plea for helpers in the local newspaper would get much response from anone who wasn't already involved with the organising club. What was it that led to you volunteering to help out ay an event ?

Contact all the runners who have entered the race and ask them if they'd be prepared to help in the future.  Include a list of fixtures (if feasible), contact details and explanation of what they could do to help.

I'm sure that a lot of people are like me - unaware that you can help out if you are a "total volunteer" and not a member of any of the organisations that help on the day.

Wilkie wrote (see)
    There are plenty of affiliated club runners who never do anything beyond turning up at races and running. 

Good point.

And, back to the original question

runnerman wrote (see)

The latest running boom is good for races. But are the clubs missing out on something.

Yes, I think they are.

• Options

send out a leaflet with the race numbers prehaps?

Do you know anyone that would like to help?

• Options
    runnerman wrote (see)

So is it time that local clubs rather than attract runners who won`t turn up to club meets, attract them through online membership.

They still pay their membership, still be part of the club, wear their club vest at races and support club races. They get online newsletters, training schedules for their membership. They can even attend club meetings if they want to.

That would be brilliant - that would suit me perfectlyimage

Given how much we now do on-line, I'm surprised that clubs have not come up with this before now.

• Options
    I don't see the point of an online club.  If you want to be part of a club, join and join in with a club. 
  • Options
    It COULD be a good idea for those people who live too far away from a club's base to join in on anything like a regular basis.
  • Options
    I still don't get that either Peter - places like here and Fetch already cater for that.
  • Options
    CJBA wrote (see)
    runnerman wrote (see)

So is it time that local clubs rather than attract runners who won`t turn up to club meets, attract them through online membership.

They still pay their membership, still be part of the club, wear their club vest at races and support club races. They get online newsletters, training schedules for their membership. They can even attend club meetings if they want to.

Just like you get here!  image

uknetrunner.co.uk                   image

TNK I'm not sure that the RR membership includes affiliation to EA so you won't get your £2 discount.  I might be wrong of course...just a bit wary of the wording they use on their website.

I have quite enjoyed this debate image been v boring at work!  Don't like the personal slagging off posts but its good to see why people don't join clubs and hopefully some will eventually be swayed into joining one and perhaps giving up some time to help out.  In my mind there is nothing better than a long Sunday run with a bunch of like minded mates, catching up with the gossip, mulling over Strictly and X factor...then coffee and bacon rolls after!!  All this is made much easier if you have a bunch of those mates all ready in place at a club.

I don't go with the not being able to help as 'we haven't been asked' brigade...get proactive and offer!

• Options
    Some people like to belong, Badly Drawn. That's all. I think you're right, though: a lot of what they might get they could get elsewhere. But there might be other benefits, not least the insurance.
  • Options

Point taken Peter.  We all like to belong.

Maybe RW are missing out on something.

• Options
    When talking about insurance when training, what would that cover?  Could you claim for re-had physio of twisted ankle for example?  Or is it more public liability?
  • Options
    Dips wrote (see)
    CJBA wrote (see)
    runnerman wrote (see)

Just like you get here!  image

Similar but not quite the same.
  • Options
    Badly...you don't get affiliation through FETCH or RW and I think that is why people join online clubs. I belong to both and can say I get a lot out of both.   But then again I put a lot in!!! image
  • Options
    Dips wrote (see)

TNK I'm not sure that the RR membership includes affiliation to EA so you won't get your £2 discount.  I might be wrong of course...just a bit wary of the wording they use on their website.

I made the same point myself earlier Dips.

I suspect that the website isn't kept fully up-to-date though (despite the homepage being updated a few days ago), as the 'joining the club' page says:
    "The RRC is unique as an athletics club in that its membership is spread throughout the UK and we do not have the social structure of a local club".

Unique ? It may have been the first, but as we have seen in this thread, it isn't the only one now.

• Options
    you do get affiliation from Fetch.
  • Options

from FERC

"The club for Fetchies who don't belong to a real running club. Fetch Everyone Running Club. No better than any other running club and certainly not worth joining. Join a real club instead. You'll be able to participate in training sessions with real people, go for a beer afterwards, and get coaching advice from people who really know what they're talking about. On the other hand, if you really can't get to any other club because of work or other commitments, you're welcome to join!"

• Options

Dips - I was referring more to online versions of local clubs rather than Realbuzz etc.  If people want support, then I can see going to a real club is useful, or using forums and chat groups on sites such as this.

I doubt if most clubs would have the resources to provide a useful website interactive website.

• Options

My 'real' club has a forum which members can use to keep in touch, our team captain sends out weekly emails to encourage us and I organise a marathon training group backed up by emails but that is about as far as we go in terms of people resources towards an interactive website.

I agree Badly, I think clubs would be hard pushed to provide an interactive website through lack of funds and people power.  Probably best to stick to one or the other...online or 'offline' club...choice is out there along with no club. 

• Options

MF -

I don't buy this selfish shit at all. I well appreciate the effort and hard work that people put into organising a race, and I'm always thankful and courteous to marshalls etc. that I come across. I will often email the organisers after a good event and offer my congrats as well as rating the event on this website which will help to attract other runners to enter the same event in following years.

How exactly is that selfish? I enter whichever races I fancy and I pay my fee like everyone else. If that's not good enough then I don't know what is. As I said earlier, I'm not against clubs in any way but if I can't find one that fits in with my life why would I join it? Would you become a member of a gym 100miles away just because you wanted to "give something back" to the sport?.... I don't think so.

As previously mentioned, if you don't like helping out at races etc. then don't bother. But be assured the vast majority of runners (affiliated or not) appreciate the effort made by those who do. Although you are correct in saying the races wouldn't exist without volunteers, always remember they also wouldn't exist without runners.....

• Options

Agreed, YR, and, as I said earlier, if the clubs don't want unaffiliated runners in their races, then all they have to do is decline the entry form when it is sent it.

The fact that so many of us get into the races to which we apply proves the point that the clubs don't mind - or, want / need unaffiliated runners as well as club members to compete in their races.

• Options
    Dips wrote (see)
    TNK

Who's that then?

Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

Point taken Peter.  We all like to belong.

Maybe RW are missing out on something.

I'd join a proper RW club if they were affiliated and offered the insurance etc. etc.

Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    When talking about insurance when training, what would that cover?  Could you claim for re-had physio of twisted ankle for example?  Or is it more public liability?

"You will be included in an insurance policy that covers RRC members against road traffic accidents whilst training, racing or helping at a race. The policy covers paid-up RRC members against death or disablement if struck or otherwise injured by a road vehicle of any description while walking, running or standing on the roadway or on a footpath or pavement, either in races or for training purposes, or whilst acting as coach, official or attendant during a race or training session. Benefits under the scheme are a capital sum of £10,000 for permanent disablement or £100 per week for a maximum of 104 weeks for temporary total disablement. Temporary partial disablement is not covered."

A bit like what happens if I get hit by a car?  Not perfect, but better than nothing....

• Options
    Thanks for that TNH.  Useful to know.
  • Options
    TNH wrote (see)

"... Benefits under the scheme are a capital sum of £10,000 for permanent disablement or £100 per week for a maximum of 104 weeks for temporary total disablement. Temporary partial disablement is not covered."

...  Not perfect, but better than nothing....

Is it that much better than nothing ? What  exactly do "permanent disablement", "temporary total disablement" and "Temporary partial disablement" mean ? It certainly means that BDB can't claim for his hypothetical sprained ankle.
  • Options

I don't really care about a sprained ankle.

If i get knocked over and have to take time off work then I'd be glad of that extra £100 a week on top of my sick pay.

Suppose it just depends what you're looking for.

• Options

That is what I am asking TNH - what does it mean by "Temporary partial disablement is not covered" ?

If you get knocked over and have to take time off work, is that not "Temporary partial disablement", and thus not covered ?

• Options

Temporary total disablement is a classification of disablement that means that you are not able to carry out any work functions .'. cannot attend work and, depending on your terms of employment, may be paid at a reduced percentage of your normal wage, or may even reduce statutory sick pay only.

Temporary partial disablement is one where only some of your work functions are affected.  In this case your employer would usually be expected to temporarily amend your working duties to enable you to continue working (anti-discrimination and all that).  You would therefore be unlikely to be paid a reduced amount and .'. not be in need of the extra £100.

• Options
    Thanks. Obviously the insurance industry definition of those terms differs from what one would expect if one just checked the definition of those words in a normal English dictionary ! 
  • Options

TNK, TNH..TTFN...its all the same...you knew it was meant for you!

I hope you get more out of joining than a insurance policy though.

• Options

Yeah, but at least it's good old British insurance / compensation.  Being paid for loss of earnings, rather than all this American 'Sneeze near me and I'll sue you" ambulance chaser mentality, where people do it for the profit.

(Sorry if I seem cynical of that, but I've been on the receiving end of it).

• Options

Good grief!

I saw the thread and thought "That'll be interesting"... and then read through...

I'm trying to run again after years of abortive attempts to overcome injury, and I'm feeling really positive as I'm up to 5 miles now. That enthusiasm pretty much drained away when I realised I was a selfish drain on all 'proper' runners.

I've never heard such drivel... but if it's how club runners feel, then I shall stop looking for a club instantly - I would hate to think I might turn out that way once I join the self righteous ranks of the virtuous runners.

Way to make someone feel unwelcome - congratulations!

PS. I've participated in organising (as founder, chairman, secretary, captain, comittee member) volleyball, football and tennis clubsand a squash league, been a member of all those as well as four running clubs, a cricket club... and I have never felt that way towards those who want to enjoy the sport in question, be it occasional participants, club members who don't take a turn on the committee or captain teams or whatever - I have always been happy that people want to take part in 'my' sport. Participation is (or I always thought it was) good for the sport, and hence for me and my enjoyment of the sport.