Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

I was amazed I wasn't last! image  But I planned to walk up every hill and then run down or on the little bit of flat which I did (even when I didn't want to) so I am pleased that I managed to dig deep and found some mental strength from somewhere which kept me going.

It is a race I would do again (though maybe not next year).  Very well organised and marshalled and even supporters in places you wouldn't expect supporters which was great too

• Options

FANTASTIC Rio that is absolutely amazing!!!!!  VLM will be a total doddle for you after IM and then Grizzly - really well done you deserve a shed load of medals!!

Fab running everyone else and great reports which are so inspiring!  Kim - don't panic, there is no magic in the 20 miles - you've done an 18+ already and thats as far as many people go pre London - I've done 3 FLMs and only once did a 20!  Maybe an easy week this week and then you will be up and raring to go at the weekend?

Seems mist people want to start at 9am on saturday so shall we aim to meet at 8:45 or bit thereafter with view to setting off at 9?  Does this work for you all?  I will send you an email in a bit with meeting point information - not sure I have everyones email yet - so please message me and I will send it to you. image

• Options

Rio well DONE.....Fantastic is the word.....where is the Grizzly do you have a link?

Hash......enjoy your meeting..........."Nothing is worth more than this day"......todays calendar quote.......enjoy tonight anyway!!!!! 

Happy resting and x training etc...........

• Options

That Grizzly makes our 18 / 19 /20 LSRs seem a bit easy Rio image I can't even contemplate doing an IM!

8.45 is fine for me Pinks, I've got the sandwiches made already image

• Options
    The Grizzly is in Seaton, Devon Mark.  Link here There is also a link on the website to the course and you can see the elevation. 1348ft of climb!!  lol
  • Options
    Rio I know you are a million miles away from me but just wanted to say if you and G wanted to come over next weekend so you can join in the group lsr you are more than welcome to stay - Daughter at Uni so her room free and as always would be lovely to see you!!
  • Options
    Thanks Pinks I will speak to G and let you know.  Tis a bit far though
  • Options
    Wow wow wow!!!!! Fantastic Rio! Can't say anything else!!Wow!!imageimageimage
  • Options

Rio - I think relaxed has already said it all.  Wow!

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Rio, that sounds so hard. Well done for being so tough.
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  Pip I thin it was more bloody mindedness than toughness that got me through.  I don't like giving up on something I have started.  Though there were opt out points at various parts of the course and a couple of times I thought about it. 

It is a race I would do again.  And I actually finished thinking that - whereas normally I finish thinking never again and slowly change my mind

• Options

Well done everyone with the long runs and to those who completed the grizzly.  In between meetings I've been trying to download the garmin software.  Think I've just about registered, plugged in etc and finaly got some data to transfer and some nice graphs to come up.  In my haste to get going yesterday I set the thing to 10mm so it was bleeping at me for being slow form the start, something to remember in the future.  Any way here are my splits - total distance 18.07 miles

100:10:01200:11:03300:11:07400:11:06500:11:09600:10:32700:10:55800:11:00900:10:491000:10:421100:10:521200:10:571300:10:581400:10:371500:10:471600:10:491700:10:461800:10:431900:00:49 Summary03:15:50

Fairly average pacing so pleased with that.  Normally run a loop but this time did nine miles out, turned around and nine miles home.  Mainly did this so I could store a bottle of water at 5 miles and look forward to it on the way home.  Had two gels at 7 miles and 11 miles. I found it very hard, its the furthest I've even run and I had the same "I don't think I can do 8 more on top of this" wobble.  Got a sports massage booked for tomorrow and now looking forward to our run on Saturday

Happy resting all, I think we deserve it.

• Options

That didn't workimage will try again

• Options

good running Suze I haven't worked out how to put the results from the Garmin software, have you got Training centre Connect or both, I can recommend Garmin Connect once you have got the hang of training centre ( which is the one I think you will have)

I am still doing my results longhand as I made such a mess of it the other day .

Another 8 miles you can do it get in there image

• Options

Here we go - total distance 18.07 miles

• mile 1 - 10:01
    • mile 2 - 11:03
    • mile 3 - 11:07
    • mile 4 - 11:06
    • mile 5 - 11:09
    • mile 6 - 10:32
    • mile 7 - 10:55
    • mile 8 - 11:00
    • mile 9 - 10:49
    • mile 10 - 10:42
    • mile 11 - 10:52
    • mile 12 - 10:57
    • mile 13 - 10:58
    • mile 14 - 10:37
    • mile 15 - 10:47
    • mile 16 - 10:49
    • mile 17 - 10:46
    • mile 18 - 10:43
    • mile 19 - 00:49

Hope this works

• Options
    Rod - I think I'm using Garmin Connect.  not had much time to explore as I should really be working.  Might take my laptop home to have a good look round it tonight.
  • Options
    thats a good set of results you must be pleased with those image
  • Options

Hi all,  Wow- that Grizzly looks tough, well done! 

Hash- hope your meeting goes well, it’s one of the most exhausting things you can do, having to sit down all day and do intense listening!  

Suze- hope you’re enjoying the Garmin. After all the general Garmin enthusiasm on here last week and all the advice, I posted another thread about a second hand Garmin and am now buying one from another lovely RW forum member- should be with me later this week and can’t wait!  

Did my first ever 17 miler at the weekend. About mile 10, I tripped and went absolutely flying onto the concrete, bashed my knee which hurt temporarily, but luckily the only damage was a killer graze. Picked myself up and carried on and finished the 17 with the old ITB playing up for the last mile. Otherwise though, it felt fine! I can’t remember who said this a few weeks ago in the forum, but for the first time, the marathon distance actually seemed achievable! A quick question regarding aches and pains. After my longer runs my muscles generally feel ok, but I get some mild pain in what feels like joints, such as the back of my knee. I’m completely paranoid about getting injured again- what do you all feel like after your long runs and how much attention to these feelings is it sensible to pay? I was due to have an 8 miler in tonight but might cross train tonight to give my legs some non-imact stuff and do the longer one instead tomorrow…

Happy running all x x x

• Options

A good run Gemma sounds like you were lucky wuth the fall and hopefully just a graze.

Of course the marathon distance is achievable image

Regarding how I feel after a long run, firstly let me say I am no expert!

I always have a few aches my particular one is a mild groin strain but it does go  afetr a day or two, my legs feel a boit stiff after the 19 miler yesterday, I take a 400 mg Ibuprofen tablet to help with that and will go x training in a bit at the gym just a 30 minute session followed by a swim nothing too hard.

I would keep an eye on the pain, my own thoughts are if you did the LSR yesterday then not to do the 8 milere today, if you did it Sayturday why not just do say 5 miles really steady or x train, there is talk around of "junk miles" my schedule gives me 3 runs a week (smartcoach) and I do gym stuff too, I am doing far better on this than when I trained for the Graet North in 2008 and I had 5 runs some weeks.

The long runs came quickly on this schedule though, as I said earlier I am loving the training now its onwards and upwards image

• Options

Gemma don't do another run after your lsr.  All most all programmes have a rest day after the lsr day.   The only reason I will be running tonight is because I am the organiser of a group but I will be plodding along no more than 12 min miling for no more than 3 miles (and only that if I can get moving)

You will be stiff and sore after a long run.  It is why I usually have a cold bath straight after my runs (didn't think about going to stand in the sea after yesterday which would have helped).  You need to recover before putting yourself through any more stress or you are likely to injure yourself.  If you do cross train make it very easy but better still don't do anything

• Options

Rio should I not do half hour x trainer then? It will be no real effort and seems to loosen me up.

I feel ok today image

• Options

If you think it will help Rod then yes do a half hour but no more and only very gently.  Keep the intensity really low though.  And if you feel ok then that is great.  It applies more if you are stiff and sore in any way.

I have run a marathon and trained the next day, conservatively but ok.  So it does depend on the individual but if you have raced or extended the distance and ache then it is best to have a day off

• Options

Rio you're taking your group tonight after the Grizzly???!   F*cking nutter!!  Glutton for punishment you are.  image

*waves to Vicky*

How's it going lovely?  image

• Options
    I will mostly be instructing image  But I do have one who is returning after an op so a nice little plod with her could be what the doctor ordered.  If it is uncomfortable I will stop though image
  • Options

Afternnon all

Pinks I wll message you directly after this post!!

Some good running- well done on the Grizzly Rio! and on the PB SB!!!

Kim- I had the wobbles on saturday night after my ghastly run when my calf went ping!!!  But all ok now been for sports massgage and although it was bit sore at points there's nothing overly wring with the calf image just need to stretch some more especially if i'm stuck in the office all day- how much am I going to amse my colleagues stretching at work!!!

Looking forward to saturday gus!!!

Happy running all

• Options
    Thanks for the advice all.  Should have pointed out, I actually did my LSR on Friday night (what a party animal eh… my schedule is shifted so I do my long runs on  a Friday night- don’t ask!), then had a rest day on Sat, then the 3 x 1.5 miles fast last night.  Feel like I do need a bit of recovery time in the old legs though- my mileage has gone up quite a bit in the last few weeks as I’ve come back into the 4:30 training programme after being on a physio recovery programme so will listen to my legs. I think I’ll do an east Body Combat class to get the blood pumping, but its mostly arms work so I’ll give my legs a chance to have a wee rest.
  • Options

That sounds like a good idea gemma.  I generally do my lsr on Saturday so have tweaked the schedule accordingly but you can always miss a session it really wont hurt in the bigger picture.  Sounds like you are upping the mileage fairly quickly so you would be wise to take it easy

Glad your calf is better now Vik.  We will all get so many aches and pains and niggles from now on and we will start wondering if we will make it or not.  That is to be expected.  Tired legs and mind are coming into effect now and it gets tough.  It will be alright on the night though image

• Options
    Im.Rio wrote (see)

If you think it will help Rod then yes do a half hour but no more and only very gently.  Keep the intensity really low though.  And if you feel ok then that is great.  It applies more if you are stiff and sore in any way.

I have run a marathon and trained the next day, conservatively but ok.  So it does depend on the individual but if you have raced or extended the distance and ache then it is best to have a day off

Thanks Rio I went and it was beneficial, very much so in fact, Half an hour on the "reverse" programme level 14 and some at 15 got the HR to 65-70% of max. Followed it with a short swim of 150 meters and a sit in the sauna and steamroom.

To be honest I am made of reasonably strong stuff and do know to listen to my body image

I always like to take advice from more experienced people so cheers again.

• Options
    Had a really off run tonight - legs felt like concrete and it was a real struggle!! Was supposed to do the 7 mile long speed session but ended up as a 7 m steady just over 10mm pace so not good. Funny how that happens sometimes for no obvious reason. Maybe feeling post birthday weekend blues and perhaps the after effects of an eatingathon since Thursday night!! Tea, bath and early night methinks...tomorrow is another day! Onwards and upwards (hopefully!)
  • Options
    Pinks its the post birthday depression nothing more at least you did the 7 miles image