Options

Sub 2:12 marathon - Can I do it?

Comments

• Options
    How skinny is he?

It says it is healthy? Nice one, i`m definitely going on it then.

Barnsley dude - Liverpool
  • Options
    OR - Holmfirth 15 - Sun 26th October - fancy it? I shall be loading up with a large chicken curry tonight in preparation :)
  • Options
    looks like this thread sparked up a bit of emotion.... :o)

to be honest, the thread was started a bit semi-seriously - "Is it possible?"
    Not gonna put my other goals on hold for it, if I can do that 10mile commute to work, and 10miles back - which probably won't take that much longer than getting the bus. If I can change my diet (not a huge sacrifice). If, if, if. But hey, why not give it a good go, and see how things pan out?

"People who don't have high goals don't jump high"
  • Options
    Road Runner,

What are your times for, say, 10K; and how much mileage a week do you do?
  • Options
    Do you mean me or the "bible dude"? :)
  • Options
    I meant the bible dude...
  • Options
    only one pb, on no training, couch potato to hey what the heck I'll give it a go 5k - 22:32.
  • Options
    so you want to go from 'not running' to a sub whatever marathon??
  • Options
    andy - fresh legs :o)
  • Options
    tank full of adaption energy :o)
  • Options
    hm

tall order
    but you are young
  • Options
    Ok, some way to go then...
    It takes a LONG time to make a good runner (at least 3 years in my experience), and because of the likelihood of injuries, you will have to increase your mileage very gradually... If you have lived a sedentary life, then go easy at first: the head is often stronger than the legs. I would build from not to 4/5 sessions a week in my first year; then daily in the second; and experiment with twice a day in the third.
    If you are going to make it close to 2H12, then you should expect to run under 35mins for 10K in your first year.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Im up to 4/5 now

so-daily?

will think about it

a sub 4.5 would suit me fine
    one day
  • Options
    Mick McCarthy -

I can`t do sun 26th october. I will be in saarf Laandon next weekend innit! Watching some hardcore bands
    http://www.bro-network.org/ninjafest/

I think the next proper race I am doing is braids hill in edinburgh on 22nd November.
  • Options
    Road runner, this thread is now sounding a bit of a joke. If you are not really training and have only raced once (5k race is a whole different kettle of fish to even a 1/2) how do you know you even LIKE running that much?
    All the best of luck in the world if you are serious.
  • Options
    Take some good, free, advice: go back and get your Computing degree, lad.
  • Options
    That's gotta be easier than a Sub 2.12 !
  • Options
    And if it was anything like my CompSci degree, it'd leave a hell of a lot more time for running than a 40 hour week does!

(erm, approximately 38 hours if I remember correctly...)
  • Options
    I'm not sure if running is the same - but having played squash at international level as a junior, I'm guessing that 20 is way too late to start to achieve the sort of time you are hoping for... I was expecting to hear that you'd won some junior events when you suggested 2:12 as a goal!

I, and virtually all the players I used to know, started playing before they reached their teens. And I think it is fair to say that we all had been genetically endowed with excellent hand-eye-coordination. I think it is fair to say that if someone had started from scratch and devoted themselves to practicing for, say, three years, they would still have needed excellent genetics (hand-eye coordination, etc) to have even had a chance of taking a single point of any of us...

I think NickJ is right that you need to be setting some very respectable 5k/10k times before you can even think about your marathon potential. I don't meen to sound so negative, but whilst it is great to aim high - it is very frustrating to set yourself goals and never achieve them. It is much better to set yourself lots of hard-but-potentially-achievable short-term "mini-goals" than one big long-term goal. You can do a gym-test or time-trail to gauge where you are at at the moment, work out what volume and intensity of training your body can currently take, then you can aim at a realistic short-term target, perhaps a 17min 5k in six months. This is a much better plan than aiming for a 2:12 marathon some time in the far-off distance which may never be achievable for you.

There is a need for realism too avoid long-term disappointment... I was my school's 1500m and 3000m champ and trained daily for squash throughout my teens. I was therefore quite surprised to find (after having re-started running a couple of years ago) how much effort it took to meet my goal of a sub-3hr marathon for my first full marathon. I know I could have run it faster and am aiming for a sub2:45 for the FLM, however, having suffered from overtraining and injuries, I have come to the realisation that my ultimate time is probably a fair bit slower than I initially thought it might be.

Someone (I think it was Pantman) talked earlier about the need to be able to put in aerobic sub-5minute miles in order to crack 2:12 for the marathon. This would seem to imply that you would need to be close to breaking the 4-minute mile for an all-out (anaerobic) effort...
  • Options
    definitely don't think 20 is too late to aim for a fast marathon by any means - all the top marathoners at the mo are late 20's/early 30's - Paul Tergat is 34. In terms of training for a fast 5k - it would be harder for me to get an equally competitive time at 5k than for marathon distance and I would most probably need to have started younger training for a 5k to get an equally competitive time. Not interested in fast 5k's anyway, or 10k's, etc. Instead, I think that if I focussed myself entirely on this for the next 5-8years, then I could build a *very* strong base. In terms of running a 4minute mile - I'm sure I could get close to a 4min mile if I trained for a 4min mile. However, anaerobic work is irrelevant until closer the time of my chosen marathon. Anyway, if I set myself the target of 2:12 and only get 2:20, I won't be that disappointed, I'll know I'll have given it my best shot and that will be the best that I can get to. If I was to set an easier target of say, 2:20, then I might only get 2:30. So I think I'm more likely to get close to 2:12 if I set it as a long term target, focus only on that, and see how I do. Besides, 2:12 isn't *that* fast, relatively speaking when you take into account that it is a whole 7mins slower than WR time. Only time will tell, but I will regret it if I don't give it a go - My outlook on life is such that I would have a lot more regrets about not having give something tough a very good go, than if I didn't suceed having given it my best shot.

Re: Computing degree - was only about 10hrs a week, but realised it was crap and I didn't actually want a job in the IT industry, so waste of time. I enjoy running and want to follow a career in which I can be involved in my sport, hence the shop plans.
  • Options
    Road Runner,

what training have you been doing in the last week?
  • Options
    Nick, working on pose drills and short runs to start with, had a few 1hr bike rides on top while I get used to pose
  • Options
    OK! Swinging back to the original point of this thread, REGARDLESS of whether or not you think I can do it, what in your opinion would I need to do to achieve it? Having said that, I will be following the plan of the absolutely wonderful chap who has offered to coach me! But would be interested to know what opinion thinks it would take, and *don't* want to hear anything more about genetics!
  • Options
    you haven't started yet, and you're already resorting to gimmicks, gurus, and the like? What next? A powerbreathe? Get your a&$e out of the door and go for a 1H jog...
    You won't get any better by thinking about it, talking about it, or resorting to alternative means... running's one of those things you have to go and do until you're sick of it. And then you'll need to go and do some more... I'm sorry to have to tell you that, but that's what it's like: bloody tough, and totally unglamourous.
  • Options
    Nick, now I'm starting back, I want to do it properly - when I started in January, I rather stupidly started at 10miles building up to 15miles and then that was the only run of the week. Surprise surprise I got injured. Pose is proven, not only to help prevent injury, but to aid efficiency. The 'coach' has more knowledge than me. I'm starting off at 20min runs every day and slowing building up over a matter of months to 30minAM, 1hrPM. If I get my a&$e out the door for 1hr now, straight away, I'll get injured. The approach I'm using is slow and steady buildup.

BUT, I would love to hear proper advice on how to do it.

●Go out and do it until I'm sick of it, and do some more

ok, thats the first bit of advice, any more?
  • Options
    What it will take, if you are to run 2H12, is something like 140M a week; 2 or 3 sessions a day; a 29mins -or preferably under- 10K; sessions such as 8x1K in 2:45 (2mins recovery) on the track; tempo runs where you'll run 10K in 31mins, or under; a strict diet; plenty of sleep; some altitude training maybe; and loads of determination.
    And all these offer no guarantee as some people are never able to make the transition to the marathon. No worries though, if you've got a sub-29 10K, you'll still be making the British team for minor championships & international matches...
  • Options
    ●140miles per week
    ●2-3sessions/day
    ●sub-29min 10k
    ●track sessions such as 8x1k in 2:45 with 2mins recovery
    ●sub-31min tempo runs
    ●strict diet
    ●sleep
    ●some altitude training
    ●loads of determination

thanks Nick, anyone want to add to the list?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    On the basis that Paula took 10 years of building up to 5k and 10k on the track, then adding half marathons before going for the full one, I think the steady build up over a number of years has a lot going for it.

Getting the miles in, with a gradual but steady increase in the mileage, is the basics that we get told again and again. With good reason.

Your body can and will adapt to any amount of training, if you do it gradually, get your nutrition right, and sort out injuries as soon as the first niggle appears.

Rest and consolidation at regular points along the way may help to avoid overtraining.

Erm, that's my tuppenceworth.

Nessie (6 hour marathoner!)
  • Options
    ●140miles per week
    ●2-3sessions/day
    ●sub-29min 10k
    ●track sessions such as 8x1k in 2:45 with 2mins recovery
    ●sub-31min 10k tempo runs
    ●strict diet
    ●sleep
    ●some altitude training
    ●loads of determination
    ●slow steady buildup
    ●watch for injuries - get any sorted out straight away
    ●watching for overtraining

thanks Nick and Nessie, anyone want to add to the list?
  • Options
    Yeah, as we've said before, break it up into intermediary targets. Aim to break 34mins for 10K in your first year. If you can do that, you'll be on target.