Options

ALDI Ashby 20

Comments

• Options

A steady 8 miles today, not been running to the master plan over the past several days as work has been getting in the way and the 18 miler last week really drained me.

I have a nice mental image of me being asleep on the couch this time next week, with half a bottle of red wine on the table next to me, a satisfied smile on my face. The wine's for medicinal purposes of course, antioxidants and all that, I really don't think falling asleep next Sunday night will be a problem at all

• Options

Did an 8 mile fartlek yesterday with a 1 mile warm up and warm down, felt good in the sunshine. 6 mile slow run this morning, didn't feel quite so good.

Long range forecast for Ashby on Sunday is cloudy, temps between 7 and 11 degrees C. Nice running weather that, so don't be surprised if it's a heatwave or horizontal rainimage

• Options

We've had a few numbers returned. I might be able to get a run for a few (5 or so) people who still wish to run...

Tim Sturla

Competitor liaison - ALDI Ashby 20.

timsturla@aol.com

Tel: 07855848526

• Options

Me n you then Colin!

I had a nice 6.5 yesterday morning then a tiring 7 this morning. I got back and found that I'd been way off the pace for an 'easy' run - no wonder it were tiring!

Rest tomorrow and then easy 5 Friday after work with rest Saturday for me...

Still undecided about locating 'Team Jules!?' They like the Anneka Rice approach to races - drop me off then peg it somewhere else to watch. Unfortunately its usually Starbucks!

Anyone else got plans for family/ suporters?

Anyone wanting a meet up?

• Options

hi all race day looms image I was thinking of going rto the Hood Leisure Centre at 9, maybe say hi there.

More than Likely I will be wearing the maroon rugby shirt from the Bedford Half or my club vest Green Kenilworth one there are a few of us doing it 5 I think .

Havnt got a "team Rod"  image

• Options
    Hi all, team Shelscrape will be there, Mr S and 5 year old little S .... but they are considering sodding off for fun and food elsewhere for a few hours as I will be so slow.  I'll be wearing my red and green Sleaford Town Runners club  vest.  See you all there!
  • Options

I've got the wife and kids in tow and meeting my mum there as we didn't get to see her last week. Mother in law gets preferential treatment on all such occasions image. I'll leave them to their own devices, they can spoil themselves in the shoppers paradise that is Ashby.

I plan to be at the leisure centre round about 9am myself, race number 510. I haven't got a clue what I'll be running in, I'm waiting for a RAFBF running vest from the charity to arrive and I'm using that at each of the events I run in this year (washed after each one too).

• Options

Evening All

My team are talking of either exploring the local attractions (ruined castle etc) or going to the pictures to watch Alice in Wonderland.  Some support team.  Hopefully aiming to arrive at 9.00 as well.

Number 425 haven't got a clue about coloured top yet but will probably be wearing Nike Lunarglides (Black & orange) plus the Garmin 305.

Done a 20 hilly training run last Saturday, followed by an easy 5 miles on Sunday, 7 Miles on Monday and tonight.   Will do between 10 & 13 tomorrow and rest Friday & Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing  how much (if) easier  these LSR's under race conditions.  Anyone whose using this for training purposes for a marathon what are your plans for the race?

Take care and see you all Sunday.

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi

Just checking in before this one, ran in the 'Worlds First Kilomathon' at the weekend from Nottingham to Derby, ran it at a nice steady pace all the way round.  Concentrated on getting pace and gel taking correct, secondary was getting a good time as I didn't want to get any injuries else VLM would be in danger.  Course was superb and as I originate from Long Eaton which the race went through I knew every bend, up and down of the roads.  Crossed the line in 1hr 54mins and was 168th out of about 5,000, 7th in the old gits over 50 category, was gobsmacked. 

Have run Ashby every year since 2006 so going to look again at pace, gels and trace mineral intake to get it right prior to VLM, finish time is secondary to no injuries and finishing feeling in good form.  Looking forward to the ups and downs of this course, but please no hail storms like we had in 2008 image.

• Options

No hail storms this year - we've booked cool & overcast.

Few spare numbers available now owing to a few returns coming back to us. Email me if you need one.

Tim Sturla

timsturla@aol.com

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a team of girlfriend, my parents and her parents looking for best place to support.  This is the first time I'll have ran this and want to know how easy would it be for them to walk from the starting area to Packington.  On the race map it looks only about 1.5 miles, but it is accessible along the course we will be running or would they be best to drive to Packington and then pick me up from the finish on their way back?

I'll be at the leisure centre at 9.00 and running in a purple vest with Wishes 4 Kids emblazoned all over it (charity I am running for at London)

Have a good run all and enjoy it!!!!

• Options
    In the leisure centre is an enquiry desk I reckon any from here that want to meet could do so there or to one side of it to save  getting in their way, I will be there from 900 till about 920 I would say so hopefully see you all there.
  • Options

Martin,

Your family could walk from the start to Packington, it's just over a mile - the 1st mile marker is just before the 1st junction in the village. You'll be ahead of your family, but they can wait for you to complete your 1st lap, perhaps by the pub in the village.

As they walk back they'll still be on the route back to the finish, so they could cheer people on.

Still the odd entry available - we've just had a couple of numbers returned.....

Tim Sturla

timsturla@aol.com

• Options

Hi Rolf

just been looking at the programme and it says pre-race briefing at 9:40, how long is it going on for? as that's in the middle of my warm routine

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'll be on my Jack Jones for this one image

My preparation has not been too great thanks mainly to work, so I haven't decided how I'm going to approach it on the day yet.  One things for sure, it won't be fast.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rolffie
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Looks like it will be dry tomorrow, with temperatures around 45 to 50 F with light winds.

Sounds good to me, but I'm still having my usual pre-race debate whether to wear one layer or two (I'll be running for around three-and-a-half hours).  Has anybody got any tips on how to decide?

Of course, I will come prepared for different eventualities, but it saves time if I pin my number to the right garment image.

• Options

Quicky, I entered this online, do we pick numbers up tomorrow morning? Race number 809

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Pug

You should of received the race pack through the post with your chip, luggage label and details.  I would contact Tim Sturla on 07855 848526 for advice.  I know Tim reads  these posts but just incase he doesn't before tomorrow might be better to ring him, better that than turning up and not be able to run.

• Options
    It'll be 2 layers for me tomorrow, got my RAFBF running vest today and its cotton. So a very light running t-shirt underneath that I thinks. Has anyone else run for a charity with one of their t-shirts and if so, was it made from cotton?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thinking about it, I'm going to use two layers.  This is preparation for a marathon and not a race in itself (I need to chant that on the way round).  Since the marathon is next month and is notoriously hotter (by about 20 degrees), it probably makes sense to keep myself on the warm side in training.

That's one decision made.  Now for the pacing.....

I'm aiming for a sub-4:30 marathon, and am hoping to pace myself around 10:00 minute miles for the marathon.  I made the mistake of starting out too fast last year and ended up not making my target.

I like the idea of the progression run which is mentioned in RW week 12 newsletter.  I've seen a similar approach mentioned somewhere on these forums.  My typical long run averages 11:00 minute miles, based on heart rate monitoring.  So I'm thinking something like...

Start at 11:00 m/m for 5 miles, then 10:30m/m for the next 5 miles, then 10:15 for 4 miles, and finish with 6 miles at MP 10:00m/m.  All being well, that would bring me in at just under 3hrs 30mins.  As usual, it sounds easy on paper.....

It's time to gether my gear together image

• Options

Good call Graham. A few of us have discussed pacing earlier, either on this thread or the RSM thread. I will probably do something similar but have it in 3 chunks - 5 miles, 5 miles then a 10 mile stretch. I'm not convinced in my ability to hit 8:30 pace consistently and now's the time to practice. So thinking 9min/mile for the first stint, 8:45 for the second, then PMP for the third.

Alternatively I may just see how I feel on the day and go with the flow. In a race this size I think I'll be going a bit quicker reeling in those ahead of me. I've allocated Monday and Tuesday as rest days and Weds as an easy 5 miles so if I go a bit quicker then at this stage no real harm done. If it works, nice confidence boost and some time to recover or a rest and then put some more work in if it goes pearshape. 

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a thin wick-away adidas white long sleeved top I put on if its cold and then my club vest on top.  Long sleeve top has a zip at the top so I can open it to let the heat out if I'm too warm.

As for pacing, aiming for 7 to 7:15 pace all the way round for a finish time around 2hrs 20mins.  The big aim is for no injuries so will be checking my pace for a slower one if I can feel any injuries starting as the ultimate goal is standing at the start of the VLM.

• Options

Hi All

This will be my last marathon pace run before Paris in 3 weeks, really enjoyed it last year so I am looking forward to it. regarding clothing its going to be 12 degrees tomorrow therefore vest only

Good Luck everyone

LD

• Options

Hi all,

i am aiming for 6:30 pace, which i hope is about mara pace (shin splint has messed up my training), but won't no for defo till after the race and congest the data. just a vest for me, running in race clothes, as its final preperations time. like you lorry this is build up to paris.

have a good'un

• Options
    I'm with Graham.  I tried this pace at RSM last year but fell apart at 16 miles (although training up to 20 before had gone well all be it on canals)  so will try to do 10 m/iles tomorrow.  Will also wear two layers top layer will be hard to miss as brookes bright yellow.  Don't need it now lighter nights are coming.  See you all around packington image
  • Options
    Done an easy 4 tonight to calm my nerves.  Running number is 638 and will be around the leisure centre just before 9 so my mate can collect his number.
  • Options
    Hey all...
    Had easy rest day today watching the rugby...
    Think I'll be doing just the vest tomorrow and hoping for dry-ish but mild. White n fluro green ron hill vest number 182.
    As for pace? Well sub 2:45 would be bout right..sub 2:40 would be bestingvtraining times and sub 2:30 I can bleedin dream about tonight!!

Wishing you all a real good, safe race tomorrow.
  • Options

Looks like me and the carrot will be running together as I attempt to run again 7 days later, 6:30's... failed last week from 15 mile, so fingers crossed tomorrow.

Cheers Pug image

• Options

Carrot,

The briefing is just a couple of minutes long, on the Bath Grounds. Just the normal stuff. If you miss it I'll fill you in, just ask the gorilla!

Tim Sturla - Competitor liaison officer

ALDI ASHBY 20 - SUNDAY 21ST MARCH 1000HRS

timsturla@aol.com