Options

Ultra Trail - Tour du Mont Blanc

Comments

• Options
    fm - and you should know this - it's clockwise or counter based on looking north. that's always the bearing. so this race is counter - which just happens to be the better route and the usual Tour du Mt Blanc walk route.
  • Options
    Yeah Dick you're right. I got confused with this clock and counterclock thing. I would usually use the cardinal points of the compass - so the route would be west then south, then east, then north, then west again.
    As you say this is the usual route and the one used by most walkers, skiers, MTB'ers etc.

In fact this way round the biggest climbs are in the first part of the course over the boundary between France and Italy.

Looking at the site I've seen that there is only one enrollment fee and you have the possibility of choosing which arrival point you stop at (Courmayeur, Compex Lac or Chamonix) during the race. However the medics can stop you at the first two intermediate arrivals if they think you're not in good enough condition to continue. There is also a cut off time at each intermediate arrival based upon an average speed of 4k an hour. Total time allowable is 38 hours and therefore it should finish within 18.00 of Sunday evening (start is 04.00 on Saturday morning).
    Each intermediate arrival point has food, drinks, mattresses to sleep on and transport facilities back to Chamonix (to be paid apart). It's possible to send a bag with supplies and spare clothes to the first arrival point, this will then be sent on to the next arrival point if you continue and eventually back to Chamonix if you decide to finish the 150k.
  • Options
    hmm - you're still mad!!
  • Options
    When you trekked it - how long did it take you? Days and hours per day. Thanks
  • Options
    last time we trekked it in 2002 we were aiming at 6 days - that was some going in humid 37C - rather than the usual 10 days or so.

took 3 days from Cham to Courmayeur via Les Contamines - stopped at refuges Chalet la Balme and Elisabetta.

but mrs fbf got heatstroke by Courmayeur and lost a toenail so we canned it and got the bus back to Cham. after a couple of days rest we did Cham to Champex in 1 day via Fenetre d'Arpette (got train back), so a 6 day TMB is doable as a trek if you are prepared for long days and not strolling it.

as for running it......

• Options
    I'm not sure if running is the right word. I was thinking more of walking up the climbs, jogging briskly down the descents and jogging slowly through the flat bits. Ski sticks to be used especially in the climbs and descents.
    I've seen that a 7k walk speed is pretty doable. For example I walked from Aconcagua BC to the road /park entry point which is more or less 42 km in 5 and a half hours. Admittedly it is a slight downhill (1400m of height loss in 42k, but the first 2k loses 400m alone) but the path is very poor (when it exists), there are a number of river crossings which waste time and energy and we were carrying 10kg packs.
    For something like this race a 3kg pack would be max.
  • Options
    it would be a stumble- especially after about 15 hours or so

most people will probably be grinning insanly as they overload on the power bars and energy gels, rushing of the sugar

then of course cramps exposure and sleep deprivation will kick in.

All this talk is actually exciting me further-

anyone an idea on flight costs at that time of the year?
  • Options
    caspar - check out easyjet to Geneva - book well in advance and you'll get a good deal. or drive - we normally do - takes 7 hours or so from Calais

fm - which Aconcagua route? Presume normal route?? we were on Vacas and no way would you do BC to roadhead in 5hrs - took us 14 hours over 2 days.
  • Options
    Yeah normal route. I heard the Vacas approach was longer but also vastly more attractive.
    We took one and a half days up to BC and 5 hours down. If I ever went back I would be tempted to do the Vacas. The normal BC is like a giant luna park.

Didn't reply sooner due to being in Cannes for a week - work not pleasure.
  • Options
    FireMonkey

I had confirmation of next years event and registartion dates emailed to me I set up a thread at

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=23816&srchdte=0&last=1&V=1&SP=

are you still thinking of doing the event?

I am coming round to the idea more and more
  • Options
    I saw the thread and was going to post something but then got caught up with some inconvenient work.

I saw that you're getting more and more convinced. I'm still thinking and probably wouldn't make any decision until spring - got to get the Milan marathon (Nov) and a local uphill, almost marathon (38k) (Jan) out of the way first.

Have you made any calculations on what kind of time / average speed you would be aiming at doing. I figured that in order to get round and avoid blowing up half way I should be looking at an average of 5k an hour while moving plus a few hours for eating, resting. That would give a total of 33 hours give or take. I figure that walking uphill would be the sensible thing - also based on my experience of a mountain marathon earlier this year - and running (slowly) on the downhills and flat pieces as a way of keeping up the average speed.
  • Options
    I havent made any definite calculations yet, like yourself I want to get a couple of events out of the way this year (a 30 mile and 52 mile)

Your strategy of walking up and steady down is just the ticket - I did the beachy head marathon on Saturady and it killed my legs on the descents - which put some serious doubts into my head about Mont Blanc. However I had been off with injury for over a month so I wasnt too worried. I'll see how I faor with these other events which will be more telling.

I'll make my decision by the end of the year and will slowly start training with an eye for the event.

I do want to do an ironman next year which may affect things.

I am not so concerned with the distance or the time out on course, but the addition of the 8000+m ascending is the thing that concerns me.

If you are looking at being out on the course for 30+ hours you would have to factor short breaks where you had a hot drink or food- these would be crucial!
  • Options
    Food and hot drinks are supplied at Courmayeur (67k)and Champex Lac (112k). There are also numerous water stations at regular intervals where they will definitely have water but may also have hot drinks and some kind of snacks.

If I consider that the winner (Nepalese sherpa)this year got round in 20 hours while the second placed guys (N.Americans)took 22, then I think that looking at doing it in anything less than 30 hours would be foolhardy.

For the uphill parts a pair of extendible ski sticks would be part of my equipment. They take a lot of work away from the legs and on to the arms and shoulders. They can also be quite useful in descent if used properly.
    If you're not used to utilising these I would suggest practicing a bit beforehand - that is if you decide to compete.
  • Options
    I used 1 leki trekking pole when I did the MDS.

As I havnt skiied, I never got into the habit of using two!

They were fine coming down hill and as a prop when legs were totally shot, but a burden when running as I hate having something in my hand.

• Options
    Yeah, they can be cumbersome but once they're folded down it's not so bad to carry them. Also, depending on the back pack that you have you may be able to stow them. I've always stowed them when climbing but I guess the pack was bigger than the one I would use for this, so I don't know if they'd fit. I'd have to try this out first.
  • Options
    if I were doing this (and I'm NOT) I would go with 2 3-stage poles which would pack quite small when folded - you could strap them on the outside of your pack. I always use 2 when trekking - I find they give a nice rhythm on the uphills and certainly take the load on the downs.

fm - have heard normal route on Acon is not so pretty and oh so busy. Vacas was lovely and relatively deserted - 3 days to base at 4200m and 2 back including 2 river crossings (1 on muleback). interesting on way back as the glacier had blown on the moraine above BC which unblocked a huge dam of water - this flooded down the river which meant the way back was also a bit more detoured and tortured.
  • Options
    hegerally I use a kimm sac which is 25 litres

You can put a pole on the outside but it does catch on things

also taking your rucksac off every 5 minutes to take out or put back your poles would **** me off as well

Still I suppose with this event you would be using the poles for hours at a time as opposed to small stretches

Just looking at the profile now -- mm not much flat is there!
  • Options
    fbf - did you do the glacier route or did you traverse on to the normal route? Normal BC wasn't as busy as I had heard when we were there since it was Xmas, New Year period. But when we were leaving BC there were loads of people on the way up. But then they probably got better weather than we did. We even had snow at BC for a couple of days.
  • Options
    4 of us with 2 guides were going to do the Polish Glacier but we lost one guide at BC with chest infection (heading towards pulmomary oedema) so he got sent back home. 1 guide - 4 clients?? Nope - so me and mrs fbf passed to let the other 2 have a go (they were way more experienced than us) but half way up the Polish their guide started vomiting so they had a retreat.

we never started the traverse - I came down with a racking cough (hands and knees job) on way back to Camp 2 at 6000m (we'd already done the load drop) with a view to overnight and then summit. because I was getting ill me and mrs retreated back to BC rather than carry on - pissed off or what?? but better safe than sorry.

8 started the traverse - 4 got on top (plus 2 guides) - the Canaletto did for the others as usual!

after we got back to Mendoza we heard one Mexican climber had died of oedema, and 5 locals got killed on the Polish (unsafe ice screw apparently). hmmm.

won't be going back there but will go back to Argentina - great country and beef to die for!!!
  • Options
    Caspar - I thought you had already seen the profile. Yep, it's pretty hilly but the worst parts are in the first 60km. I don't think there are many pieces where you wouldn't want to use the poles except for the start and the finish area.
  • Options
    fm - "Yep, it's pretty hilly " - understatement of the week!!
  • Options
    I had seen the profile before

each time I look at it I fell differently about the event

been looking at the photos from this year and it looks well organised which is a good thing

I've never been to this region before, but always wanted to

what temperatures can you expect at that time of year on the peaks of the routes (presuably it will be a good few degrees warmer in the valleys)
  • Options
    caspar - the alps can throw all sorts of weather at you in summer. you could get snow on the cols or it could be boiling hot with huge thunderstorms late in the day. if the weather is kind expect the cols to be about 10c cooler than the valleys with valleys around 25C.

whatever - go prepared with kit for all eventualities and choose when there based on local forecasts.
  • Options
    FB-

You seem to know the area pretty well

How much navigation would be required for the route in this event (from what you have seen) or is it pretty much well used paths?
  • Options
    What fbf says is absolutely right. You can go from sunny 30°C to 15°c and thunderstorm in an hour or less while staying still. If, as in this case, you are climbing up to a col the differential can be even greater. This summer the temperature in the valley was over 30°c from 10.30 in the morning onwards till early evening when the temperatures became balmy. This was up to 25th August after which the weather worsened considerably. In fact this years race was run with wet conditions. In any case you would need to carry in the pack, a lightweight waterproof, a warmer shirt and a pair of tights. A sun hat or bandana and a warm hat would also be advisable as would a pair of lightweight gloves. Sunglasses go without saying as does head torch.
    There is the possibility of sending a bag ahead of you to Courmayeur in which you can put spare clothes, food etc. This bag is then sent on to Champex Lac and then to Chamonix if you proceed, so you can have a choice of clothing changes depending on the weather, without having to carry everything on your back.
    There are also parts of the course where you pass through villages or pass close to roadside bars or mountain huts. Therefore if you have some money in your pocket you can even buy food or drinks, maybe have a pint or two.
  • Options
    Just saw your second post Caspar. Fbf has trekked the route so knows it better than me. I know parts of it and most is on very well signed paths. The only problem could be fog or at night. In any case I think maps (no one map would get you all the way round) and a compass could be useful just in case.
    This route is the classic round Mont Blanc tour which can be done on foot or MTB so the paths are pretty well signed and quite used. You have to remember that although in high country this is a very touristic area. It's not like being on the Yorkshire moors or in the desert. You would very likely bump into a lot of people on these paths during the day.
  • Options
    Not so daunting then

I think one of my training 'events' would have to be the Welsh 3000s

If I cant do this alone, then I definately couldnt do the Mont Blanc Ultra

Whilst that is only 27 miles or so walkers seem to take well over 17 hours to do this but this does include scrambling and not defined paths
  • Options
    I was thinking about getting a guide to the area-

can you recommend one? or have you seen

The Tour of Mont Blanc: Complete Trekking Guide (A Cicerone Guide)
    Kev Reynolds

which I have found on Amazon

• Options
    wholeheartedy agree with fm on weather and trails. take maps and compass - the best maps are the French IGN series (equivalent to OS) and you should be able to get these through www.stanfords.co.uk - follow this link:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/seriesdetails/mapseries?series_id=376&loc_id=674&cat_id=576&seriescount=100

and in the drop down box choose both 3630OT Chamonix - Mt Blanc, 3531ET St Gervais - Massif du Mont Blanc and 3531OT Megeve - Col des Aravis. 3 maps whcih will give you the whole coverage in detail.

you could also try http://www.stanfords.co.uk/mapdetails/mapdetails?item_code=108305 which is map which covers the whole area at the same scale. This is new (a joint venture between France/Italy and Switzerland) and I haven't seen it but must get it for my use!!
  • Options
    caspar - just seen your recent post.

I have the Kev Reynolds book - yes it's useful if you are going to trek the route but it may be overkill for what you want. you can also buy it online from the publishers - www.cicerone.co.uk