Options

Coasting Around Britain - Ayr to Oban

Comments

• Options
    I saw te old version, ATM!image
  • Options

http://www.ocoach.co.uk/images/uploads/Barry-handover-Arran.jpg

Maurice hands over to Dave at the Lochranza ferry terminal on Arran.

Read about his first adventure Off-road, from Lochranza on Arran to Tarbert (Loch Fyne) on Lynne's blog. This involved a ferry ride and a run of about 12 miles on the waymarked tracks & paths of the Kintyre Way.

• Options

lovely pics and liked the blogimage

ta ATM - lovely report.

• Options
    must admit to feeling sad that some runners on here are total strangers. Makes it hard when I do not get proper details to send them a thankyou card and place them on the Roll of Honour. All deserve recognition IMHO but it is not my role to chase all and sundry up is it?
  • Options
    Don't worry Stu - if they're happy with their contribution (which they clearly are), that's the most important thing. It's nice to tick all the boxes but not essential enough to worry about image
  • Options
    not worried just a bit sad as I feel all coasters deserve recognition PF. They all deserve something, I feelimage
  • Options
    Stu

Once the Argyll leg is over then I will update on here with full details of what has happened and who did what since Lynne, Paul and I collected Barry on Arran through to him heading over to Mull.

There has been a couple of changes in routes and runners but I will complete a full list once we are done.

Dave
  • Options

great stuff Dave

what I could do is let you have a blank thankyou card for you to fill in and send to all that have been involvedimage

Am a big softy you know and want all to be recognisedimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image I hear momo's doing a stretch, Dave. We're going International...
  • Options

while he is over here ATM -could he do a bit further North- on tother stretch where gaps are?-lol

Is this the frenchman with the Italian name?

• Options
    Dave Bleazard wrote (see)
    There has been a couple of changes in routes and runners but I will complete a full list once we are done. Dave

Dave, can you ask the runners to keep the handover texts coming through, as that way I can keep the Barry Tracker up to date and show that he is still moving. Thanks

• Options

ATM 

thats great that Momo is running, I told his girlfriend on Friday that I had met you. Is he doing a stretch further north or is he helping out on Mull ?

Dave

• Options
    mmm-just a query- why are we going  to Oban twice -wouldn't once suffice?
  • Options

Monday 24th  Ayr to Irvine : tricialitt and helter-skelter Done

Tuesday 25th  Irvine to Ardrossan : ATM and AMT Done

Wednesday 26th Ardrossan to Lochranza : OffordMH Done

Wed 26th  Lochranza to Cloanaig: Paul  and Lynne : Cloanaig to Tarbert: Dave and Paul Done

Thurs 27th Tarbert  to Tayvallich  : Tarbert Joggers Done

Fri 28th Tayvallich  to Jura  and Sat 29th  all over Jura:  Susannah MacMillan Done

Sun 30th  & Mon. 31st  Jura to Tayvallich  : Susannah ; Tayvallich to Lochgilphead  :John Anderson

Tues 1st & Wed 2nd Lochgilphead to Kilchrenan via  Ford and Lochawe  : Dave and Others

Thurs 3rd  Lochawe to Oban :Lizzie and Phil

Fri 4th  Tour of Kerrera and back to Oban imageuncan

• Options

Update on progress 

My understanding is that Phillip Price carried Barry round the Jura Fell race rather than Susannah but I am waiting to hear from Phil to confirm that and get a report from him about the race. I am handing the baton on to him tomorrow evening so I shall find out over a beer. 

Mon 31stJohn  Anderson, Dave Attwood and Russ Drysdale  Tayvallich to Crinan 8 miles DONE

Bill Halliday, Jamie Young and Maggie Young Crinan to Kilmartin 7 miles DONE

Tues 1st

John A and the Kilmartin ladies Kilmartin to Creagantairbh Mhor 3 miles

Wed 2nd John and Bill Creagantairbh Mhor to Ford 4 milesDave B, Andy Ward, Leigh Murray and Martin Hadlington Ford to Kilchrenan 16 miles

Baton handed to Lizzie and Phillip

Thurs 3rd

Lizzie and Phillip Pass of Brander to Taynuilt 6 miles

Lizzies Taynuilt joggers Taynuilt to Oban 12 miles

Hand baton over to DuncanFr 4th

Duncan takes the baton round Kerrera 8 miles

Baton handed onto Alister or driven to Mull by speedboat.

• Options

Stu

Oban is the main ferry port so the baton comes into town Thurs evening, gets handed to Duncan who takes it over on the ferry for a very scenic trip round Kerrera where he was born and is now the ferryman.

He will then return the baton to Oban to hand it on to Alastair for the ferry to Mull

Dave

• Options

So Barry hasn't dropped in the sea then?

I suppose Barry deserves a jaunt in a speedboat after the miles he has put in. Seems like this bit is sewn up but we want attention on the next stretch as still a bit up in the air..

• Options
    LOL - if it was Phil rather than Susannah taking Barry on Jura, then Barry must have been really drunk to think Phil is Susannahimageimage
  • Options
    lol runnaholic. I made a similar  mistake in 1975...........imageimage
  • Options
    Come on, let's hear about it!image
  • Options

naaaahhhhimage

let us say it was when long hair was in style and two peops had a similar haircut and jeansimage

• Options
    image Hippy days, eh? Those were the days...great memories...
  • Options

mostly yesimage-apart from that incidentimage

I was young and fit thenimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Dave, I think he's running on Mull.
  • Options

Report from the Jura Fell race

In the final checking of kit and preperation for the run Susannah was faced with a stark choice, she had enough space in her pack for 3 bars of chocolate or the baton, which was it to be ?? Luckily Phillip was there as well packing his bag and he had space so Barry went into Phillips bag.

The race is 16 miles and 7500 ft of ascent and the map is here http://www.jurafellrace.org.uk/course_map.htm

The race was Phillip's first time and on a misty day where some careful navigation was necessary he took 4 hours 52 mins. The ground is very difficullt with very steep ascents and descent over ground that is either rock or bog.

Susannah ran well and finished with a time of 5 hrs 4 mins the differnce may have been a small piece of wood !!  

Hopefully some photos will follow

Dave

• Options

ATM

well that will be a fast stretch then with Alastair and Momo, hope its warm enough for him

Dave

• Options

Thanks for the report, Dave.  Sounds like Barry wasn't that drunk after all!image

• Options

Hi All..Barry checking in...image

What a day! So many miles covered and we'll soon be completing this stretch!image Well done everyone so far.image

• Options
    Now...where is that FISH? Thought I was having fish for dinner tonight!image
  • Options

I would be great if some of these runners did come on here. Nevertheless I am not adverse to giving support to strangers.

well done all coasters here to dateimageimageimage

good luck to John , Bill Creagantairbh Dave B, Andy Ward, Leigh Murray and Martin Hadlington image