Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options

Every week Alan. Must get mine laminated too actually.

I plan on doing the 13th one to test what speed is in the legs pre seeley. (Probably a bit late but will get me doing a race fo sorts on the road...)

• Options

I was thinking of going along to it next week.  I know they're a big thing in England.  I have registered for the first of the winter trail series at Stormont next Thursday evening, but I'm sure I will still be okay for a 5k on Saturday morning.

HMM - it was good to see you last night too.  I always prefer meeting forumites when I look more 'normal'  Usually I am sweaty and pink faced after having just completed a run.

Have been heeding all advice and haven't done any running at all since Monday.  No circuits, Abs or Pilates classes either.  Can't wait to get back out either tomorrow or Sunday.

• Options
    C75 my secrets out image i get signed up for these crazy ideas by a certain fourm member image and then get told oh your on you own i am in England with work  image
  • Options

Info on the new seeley course:

The new Seeley course is similar to the old one except it includes an extra loop of approx 800m within the park. The start will be slightly changed but still on the main Ormeau Embankment (about 200m closer to Ravenhill Road) and the finish will be in the same place as last year. Runners will only do 2.5 laps rather than 3.5 laps.

I was a little worried about this course but sounds pretty good actually.

• Options

Hi everyon, don't think I've posted here before, but I read a lot!

Just wanted to say thanks to C75 for drawing my attention to the fact that Parkrun is now here!  Just registered and looking forward to something to motivate me back into "proper" running!!

Jac  image

• Options

Off work today so decided to do a longer run. Had already done over 30 miles this week so wasn't sure how I would feel. Ended up feeling strong for the whole run and did 16 miles in 1:56:59. Really pleased with this run and also how I felt during it. HR was all over the place in the first few miles but felt fine. Didn't take a drink with me either and worried that I might feel tired near the end. A few runs like this every 3 or 4 weeks between races will get me ready for marathon training in the New Year.

Will ease back a bit next week to be well rested for XC in Ballyclare next Saturday.

Park run sounds like a good idea.

Jacasaurus, were you on U&R forum a few years back? I think I remember you training for Edinburgh Marathon.

• Options
    Hi Rodney!  Yes, I was, that was me!  Well done on your run today.  Which marathon are you doing next year?
  • Options

Aiming for Belfast marathon again Jacasauras. For the last 2 years I have doubled up by doing both Belfast and Newry but won't be trying that again. Ran 3:05 in Belfast this year so hopefully either in Belfast or Dublin next year I will get a sub 3.

Hope you get back into proper running again and stay on here for plenty of advice and banter. Need to get out for a few recovery miles at some point today.

• Options

Hi Jac - welcome to the forum. It's hard to get motivated to run at this time of year. I bought a new pair of thermal running gloves today. I think it's getting time for hat, gloves and tights!

I did my first post-marathon run this morning. Just a few miles with my beginners group but I was surprised how tight my calves still are. I guess it's still less than a week since the race though! PTB - I won't be testing your theory that recovery gets easier after every marathon image.

Mags - do you think you will be OK to race at Stormont next week? I'd love to do it but I think it's too soon after the marathon. I'm not planning to race until the weekend of the Seeley Cup (when I'll either do it or the Inter-Counties XC - not sure which yet). It's going to kill me to miss the xc in Ballyclare next week though image.

• Options

Hello and welcome to the forum Jac

Well done on you first run back Ferdy.

I ran the first race in the sperian's winter series, Ran 29.35ish for 7th place roughly, Good course with a few tough sections, esp where they pilled alot of sand down. 2laps then peeled off about 3/4mile to the finish. Decent crowd out (3/4 from Springwell). The 10mile race in early march would be very worth while before Larne and Omagh HM's

• Options

Hi Ferdy - congratulations on your first marathon!  My legs feel absolutely fine although I haven't tried to run on them yet.  I am going to go out for a few miles in the morning to test them out. 

As for Stormont next Thursday - I'm not going to race it.  I am just going along to see how I find trail running in the dark.  If I like it I might sign up for some of the the others.  I'm still not sure what type of runner I am yet, so want to experience as many different ones as I can.  So far I enjoy the longer runs better, and particularly Dublin on Monday.  I also enjoyed the different terrain at the Causeay half marathon and the GR8 Dundrum run.

At the minute I'm not competitive (except against myself) so I just go out and try and enjoy them all and do a bit better.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Options
    Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

No running for me yet either since Dublin.  Enjoying the rest for another few days.  I have signed up for the Parkrun too, the Waterworks is very handy for me and a popular spot for runners.  Not sure I'd fancy the trails in the dark Mags.  Even with a torch, I'd end up in a sheugh.

• Options

Another cold start this morning but not as cold as last Sunday. Managed to do another 11 miles.

Not sure about the trail runs in the dark. Paul are there many sheughs around Stormont.

• Options
    As soon as it was light this morning I headed out to do a trail run - and guess what?  I ended up in a sheugh!  My lovely shoes!  I should be able to clean them up but the socks went straight into the bin. Definitely going to have to get a pair of trail shoes. 
  • Options
    Nice three XC miles last night and ten on roads this morning. Away with work all next week - so plenty of time to get few runs in with Stratford AC. Mags - black running socks are best for trail running. Next time on here I'll be needind an Ulster Scots dictionary image Ye ken wit a meen.
  • Options
    Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

I was using poetic licence there KB, although I think there's a footbridge over a stream at some point.  I'm always wary since the time my leg disappeared up to the knee in a marshy bit in Redburn image.   

Bad luck there Mags.  Just as well the Parkrun didn't start yesterday as parts of the course were flooded after Friday's rain.

• Options

Whats a sheugh?

10miles for me this morning

Jim will be back Liverpool are out of the bottom three image

• Options
    10 miles for me this morning and a Liverpool win  image
  • Options

got out for 10 miles this morning with jim and HMM

hope to get to stormont on thurs for dark and plenty of sheugh,yes pauloh being from scotland i know Whit ya mean

• Options
    Hello everyone,I have only started running and am looking to buy a good pair off running shoes. Can anyone recommend a good pair?
  • Options

Joe Reid you'd be best to go into somewhere like Up and Running and see what kind of support you need from trainers. Then from there maybe try a few pairs on. They usually have a good enough range.

Long run saturday round belvoir then day off yesterday. Doing Ballyclare this weekend and expecting a bit more mud than last time out.

I never knew how to spell sheugh until now...

• Options
    I had you down as 13 st 6.5 lbs HMM.
  • Options
    Hey all,havnt ran a yard since last monday in Dublin but i will be starting back tomorrow night,looking forward to it,in fairness.few light ones tues,wed and thurs and then away for the weekend coming in glasgow. hope i can inspire some speed in the legs for the seeley which i wasnt planning on doing but ive now committed so hope to get to the line in good nick.a pb would be nice.
  • Options

Advice on shoes: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/shoes/1.html

Darryl - if you fancy a run on Wed or Thurs, fire me a text. Probably 6.30 - 6.45 suits.

Will probably walk down and watch the Park Run on Saturday morning.

• Options

5.6 miles this morning and hopefully another 8 miles tonight at club training.  Ran 52.6 miles last week but easing back this week.  I am running my recovery runs at a nice relaxed pace but HR fluctuates a lot.  Was really pleased with my 16 mile run on Friday. Again HR was up and down a lot but felt ok during run. Never felt like I was really pushing myself too hard.

Good race for you at the weekend Alan. What was the course like ?

Good to hear you are back on the road C75.

Darryl, watched your Dublin Marathon video yesterday . A very strong finish.

• Options

Rods-good mileage your racking up there m8 fair play..

in regards to the video of dublin,i couldnt just let them 3 people beat me that easy with the finsh line so close...

• Options

Holy Smoke! Prompted by Rodney, I just watched Darrrrryl's finishing video. I like to think I've finished a marathon strongly once or twice in the past, but that is something else. Check out the "Finish Line (before)" clip, or whatever it's called.

Darryl - following the weekend, assuming you're pretty much recovered by then, you've got time to get in half a dozen speed sessions before Seeley. On top of all that endurance, you could be setting a very rapid time that day.

I'll probably be at the Seeley 10k too, but at the moment it's all about increasing the miles and trying to get in to the best aerobic shape I've ever been, before a short marathon schedule from mid-January. I've got an extra 6-8 weeks compared to normal, because of *not* running in Dublin, it'll be interesting to see if that's made a difference. I'll tell you in January.

268 miles for me in October, with 5 (!) miles tempo, 4 (!) miles of intervals, 20 miles of "MP-lite" (or sub-LT, if you prefer), and the rest all easy paced. Average pace for the month 8:00m/m. I can feel certain posters rolling their eyes and shaking their heads as I type....

• Options

Also watched Darren's video - great finish, very strong.

PTB - image 268 mile.  And thats you taking it easy. I did 168 in Oct and about 50 last week just to see what marathon training was like. !!!  

Rodney - noticed your high HR on fetch even on recovery runsd, Is it you HR monitor playing up. I would occasionaly have similar readings but only on 1st mile or so. usually moving or moistening the belt and HR drops to below 70%