Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure Minnie should be easy enough to spot, but I'm often a bit zoned out before races, so here's me : Redhill Road Runners vest (white body, unflattering red band around the boobs, 'silver' top, Nottingham written on the back) black shorts with red and white swirly pattern on sides, black hair.
  • Options

AfE - FGFA has LOADS of toilets and urinals - the ratio's pretty good. It was also quite acceptable to have a final emergency slash -French style - standing in the shute right before walking to the start line

I was reflecting how impressive it is - a testament to everyone's sensible organised dedication plus alot of luck - that the fred's  DNS rate seems to be close to zero. Not that I want to jinx everyone being involved in a freak gardening/lightning/swan attack incident prior to Sunday but it must be a far lower DNS ratio than the overall. 

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE - HOPE YOU ALL HIT YOUR TARGETS AND HAVE A CRACKING DAY !!image.

I'll be electronically watching you all ....

• Options

Good luck to everyone.

Especially to You.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    All the best everyone who has started their travels.....
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I haven’t been on the forums much recently but had to drop in to wish everyone the best for the London Marathon on Sunday.

So good luck MsE, RJ, Steve1975, Ormeski, JR, AmyT, XPS, AfE, MartinH, SBD, RFJ, Efc-Col, Ant, GE, Poacher, Speedy, Sal, Minni, O&O, DomF,  and any one else I may have missed or running in another race! I hope you all hit your A target and have a brilliant race.

What’s the best way to keep track of everyone?

• Options

good luck to all you VLM'ers hope you have great races!!! also good luck to ON in Boston. 

#KINAVIT image

• Options
    Anyone know where the electronic tracking thingymy is. Will it just pop up on VLM website nearer the day ??
  • Options

Weather forecasts for Sunday in London:

Metcheck - 10am-1pm Sunny, 5 degrees (feels like -2) to 8 degrees (feels like 6) by 1pm, wind SE at 9-10mph

BBC - daytime: Sunny intervals, peak 17 degrees, wind W at 7mph, humidity 51%

Accuweather - 10am-1pm: Sunny to begin with, clouding over, maybe rain by 1pm, 14-16 degrees, wind E at 5mph, humidity 50%

Take your pick!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

I think that the tracking thingy is only available 24 hours before the race.  I know that addidas did one last year as well. 

Mrs H used it and knew my finish time before I did (forgot to stop my watch).image

• Options

Simon definitely take the Metcheck one 10/10 although I fear the heat to be honest. I'll cry if its too warm image. I'm on my way down with 5 others tomorrow morning so will be at the expo around 1-2pm. Now hoping to find a last minute hotel due to a mess up with my accomodation. Was supposed to be staying at friends but theyve had some bad news so they have other things to take care of. Ive never felt as rushed off my feet before a marathon before!!! At my Dad's at present to use his internet connection!

Blue:
    MsE - 17454 -  in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 
    SteveC1975 - 23156 
    Ormeski - 17655 -  Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.
    Just Running - 2177 -  (pen 3)
    AmyT - 26433 -  Purple vest with yellow piping and Hardley runners in yellow
    Wokky - 20975 - in red and white Oldham & Royton Harriers vest and blue shorts. Dom written on vest
    Red FGFA:
    XPS - 31xxx - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 -  Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 -  Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Blue vest with smiley clown & "Adrian" on front, Round Table Children's Wish (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Efc-Col-32720 red Wallasey ac vest possibly blue shorts.
    Ant - (Don't know number yet- it's in England) White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.
    Golden Eagle - 33295 - white vest with blue "go faster" stripes. Black or grey shorts.
    Poacher - 31xxx - prob in yellow Stockport vest, but may switch to silver halter neck mini dress
    Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - 29680 - Green GFA Pen 2
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow). Blonde plaits

• Options
    Word on the street is that the tracking app thingy is not appearing this year. You can kind of track progress on VLM website however, if you know the runners number, it updates the times whenever you cross the timing mats, i.e every 5K.
  • Options

Wokky,

I cancelled a double room at the premier inn tower bridge only a few hours ago so you may be lucky if you try them. Think it was £142.

Good luck, Mel

• Options

cheers for the heads up on times AfE - those all look very do-able for relevant folk from where I'm sitting image.  Good luck with your target too

BIG respect to MM for that 10k.  WOW!  That was my stated target post VLM last year but I turned out to be too lazy to train.  Also fantastic the way you've continued to offer advice and inspiration here despite not planning to run it yourself; puts the likes of me to shame image

• Options
    Jezza_B wrote (see)

BIG respect to MM for that 10k.  WOW!  That was my stated target post VLM last year but I turned out to be too lazy to train.  Also fantastic the way you've continued to offer advice and inspiration here despite not planning to run it yourself; puts the likes of me to shame image

Jezza B's number one rule - DON'T BE GREEDY!

It took me 5 marathons before I learned the importance of those 3 words but it's probably the best advice I've ever seen or heard.

• Options
    Wokky, I am staying in a lovely 2 bed flat in blackheath, there's only one of me! Can't pm you as on net on my phone. PM me your mobile no and I'll text you mine. Think it would be 70 quid per night.
  • Options

you've made me blush MM - took me 5 too actually! 

• Options

Who's going to be ordering one of these after Sunday then?

http://www.xempo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Mens-T1-03_Purple-M-Back.jpg

or one of these:

http://www.xempo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Mens-T1-03_Red-M-Back.jpg

www.xempo.co.uk
  • Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Waheyy jezza. I'm actually pacing for around 2:33:59(even splits) so im within half an hour of the WR. Although kebede is talking about attempting a WR. But not actually that bothered to be honest, I just want to be the best I can be on the day.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I haven't read much of this thread (since I am not doing the marathon), but I did it last year (my one and only marathon to date) and my advice is to make sure you pace it well and don't get too confident if you feel great at half way! I was hoping for a sub 3:30 with my eye on a sub 3:15. I did the first half in 1:34ish, but only finished in 3:18, so I lost time during the 2nd half. I should have slowed a little at the start, it's easier said than done! I also felt my energy go at about 20miles so maybe I should have taken on board more gels or energy drinks. I think that you burn a lot of calories at the start, all that nervous energy and standing around waiting for the start. Good luck and enjoy it whatever you times..
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    MM love those tops. What a great idea! I'm thinking one would make a great prize for someone in my running club on awards night.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Survived Excel and have the race number confirming it's all happening on sunday! Tempted by the hat but will just settle for the haircut.

Good luck to everyone for sunday and ON at Boston. Just relax for the first 10m, be strong for the next 10m and then be brave over the last 10K!

• Options
    CC2 speedy goth ( sorry can't quote or bold off my phone) I may be interested in that place but first I have to try and sort something for 4 of us. If I get 2 or 3 of them sorted then I may have it. Really appreciate this
  • Options
    Martin H wrote (see)

I think that the tracking thingy is only available 24 hours before the race.  I know that addidas did one last year as well. 

Mrs H used it and knew my finish time before I did (forgot to stop my watch).image

Fraser - There were loads of adverts on the Adidas stands at the expo and loads of literature with the info. Bascially you text your race number to the number they are advertising and each time the runner goes over one of the timing mats (every 5k I think) it sends your phone a text. My wife tried it last year and it worked although my wife was trying to predict where I would be next and then battling throught the crowds to get there in time!

Good luck again to everyone - I'll be watching on Telly (and looking out for a purple blur - Martin!)

• Options
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    Survived Excel and have the race number confirming it's all happening on sunday! Tempted by the hat but will just settle for the haircut. Good luck to everyone for sunday and ON at Boston. Just relax for the first 10m, be strong for the next 10m and then be brave over the last 10K!
    Good luck on Sunday SBD - I know you've had a touch & go last weeks mate.
    Also, best of luck to OsloNeil for Monday in Boston - what's the temperature out ther - have you aclimatised to the heat yet? I bet there's no snow or iceimage
  • Options

make sure you have sunglasses though SBD  imageimageimage Good luck!  You're another I expect to know me further down the list

Jase - looking forward to your report (and everyone elses!), know you'll do your best and that's bliddy good

• Options

Good luck to those running this weekend, remember to enjoy the experience.

Looking forward to the reports.

• Options

KR - any idea where to find those numbers online?

Cheers.

• Options

Good luck to you all, avit and enjoy.

• Options

Ah the passion and emotion -

Each and every year on the Friday afternoon the forum falls quiet as the brave make their trip to London for VLM  and the remaining few, not running this year at least,  hold our breath, save for the "good luck" shouts.

And so here's my two-penny-worth -  Good luck every one....

....make sure you KINAVIT. image

• Options
    Wishing I hadn't already picked up my number at Expo as I want the vest printing service to put KINAVIT on the back of my shirt. I just hope someone does to cheer me up in the final 10k...GOOD LUCK ALL....